Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

FunkyFlashman posted:

How long are the group instances/dungeons in this game? under 1hour?2hours?

The level 20 dungeon Ruins of KelVoreth was pretty big in this youtube video, the endboss does something where this game basically turns into space invaders Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0yrpQeC80

at 1:02:37

These were taken this weekend with some people I found through the instance finder that were new to the zones also.

Personally I found Ruins of Kel Vwhatever WAYYY easier than Stormtalon. You can skip a lot of the trash and the boss fights were a lot more straight-foward

Stormtalon's however took me at least 3 different groups to get just past the first boss. The boss fights in this zone were way more memorable and fun to do.

This Open Beta is my first experience with the game and I've played every class but Medic to 10 and I got my Spellslinger to 23 and I will continue to keep leveling my Spellslinger since that seems to be my favorite class so far. While I have a lot of gripes about the game from a design standpoint I feel like Carbine has the right ideas to make this a pretty fantastic game but they need time to develop on them. I actually went ahead and pre-ordered the game last night to show my support for their endeavor even though I'm actively playing FFXIV and Archeage.

Monster Mash fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

straw man posted:

All I do in these games is PvP but I'll still probably roll on a PvE server. World PvP maybe satisfies some people's "hunter's instinct", but when you can play an actual balanced PvP game at level 6, world PvP sounds a bit like a relic. Being in a big guild matters more to me than the server ruleset.
I asked around about the contested zones for PvP servers and it looks like they don't even start until level 20. They haven't really built them with an eye toward PvP from what I can tell so aside from the griefing I don't know of any benefit, and the griefing is gonna be poor when all the low level people who would really rage are safe behind their zone walls. I think if we read the poll as "who wants to sit around all day trying to gank level 20s for Exile tears" the results would be different.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Anybody else trying the Soldier path? I'm actually finding it more fun then I thought I would. There's something about fighting off large mobs with the Warriors large AoE attacks that's so satisfying.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

I said come in! posted:

I really like MMOs with a good battleground mode. If Wildstar has that then i'll be pretty happy. I enjoy playing battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, Rift, and Star Wars the Old Republic.

Yeah Wildstar's definitely owns up to level 14 at least.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah I have a hard time keeping tabs on anyone. The minimap needs to display arrows around the edge pointing towards your teammates regardless of how far away they are(unless they're a zone away or something I guess). A thing that helps is using the Specific Marker UI function. Right-click people and stick a toaster or flying pig over their head, and you can see those icons from a much further distance than you can their names.

The API is... not yet well documented, but if you can code GPS arrows in WoW they must be trivial here. Really all you need is your own coordinates and your party members' coordinates, then you can do some trigonometry and draw an arrow on the minimap. Bonus points for anybody who can find the relevant functions though: https://github.com/wildstarnasa/NASADocs/blob/master/_G%20Dumps/_G-Nexus-3.30.14.txt

CrashCat posted:

I asked around about the contested zones for PvP servers and it looks like they don't even start until level 20. They haven't really built them with an eye toward PvP from what I can tell so aside from the griefing I don't know of any benefit, and the griefing is gonna be poor when all the low level people who would really rage are safe behind their zone walls. I think if we read the poll as "who wants to sit around all day trying to gank level 20s for Exile tears" the results would be different.

Yeah, I'd have voted PvE if I'd known PvP would be full of carebear fortresses. I'd go PvP if you had open PvP in town, newbie zones, people's houses, etc.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
There is definitely a group radar add-on.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

FunkyFlashman posted:

How long are the group instances/dungeons in this game? under 1hour?2hours?

The level 20 dungeon Ruins of KelVoreth was pretty big in this youtube video, the endboss does something where this game basically turns into space invaders Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0yrpQeC80

at 1:02:37
In the recent stream the devs did, they said their goal for endgame dungeons is 60-90 minutes, with experienced/geared players obviously being able to clear faster.

Also re: another post in this thread - I'm almost positive I saw either on that stream or the huge AMA that they want to have server transfers/name changes avaliable for purchase when the game launches.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Those were the key words https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14815-addon-groupradar/
e: that thread suggests GroupCompanion too https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42202-addon-groupcompanion/

e2: i was getting sort of okay mostly other-class vendor trash gear from the pvp bags but then drat, out of nowhere

straw man fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 12, 2014

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
is renown set super high at the moment or is it actually meant to go up as fast as it is? I am level 24 or so and seem to have more renown than I can possibly spend, I have bought all of the most expensive house things and still have 30k + left over, is it used for anything other than house improvements and flasks (I read, not sure where these are actually sold)?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

If you download the grid addon, every member in your party will have an arrow in their gridbox showing which direction they are from you. I never had too many problems keeping track of bacontotem when he was running around deradune picking fights with elites and getting killed.

I've always been in support of a PvE server, but that's mainly because all a PvP server ruleset does is make leveling shittier by making it take longer because LOL SOUTHSHORE IS THE BEST GUYS. I've never had a good fight on a pvp server, especially since the people interested in good fights just go to instanced pvp.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I agree a PvE server sounds like a better idea in the long run. Mal'Ganis fuckery was a lot of fun for the first month of WoW, but the novelty wears off real fast. I just don't see the draw of open PvP past the first month of the game, especially when there's systems like warplots that sound so much more entertaining. For a PvE focused player, a PvP server is a mild annoyance at best and has the possibility of being incredibly frustrating based on faction population.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

straw man posted:

e2: i was getting sort of okay mostly other-class vendor trash gear from the pvp bags but then drat, out of nowhere

Haha, Termple. That reminds me of flasks from vanilla wow, one of them said the effect persisted though death. That typo was in until bc.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
RE: Renown, it's also important to party with Guild members because that earns us Influence, which allows us to buy week-long buffs as well as other things.

straw man posted:

Those were the key words https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14815-addon-groupradar/
e: that thread suggests GroupCompanion too https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42202-addon-groupcompanion/

:monocle: I haven't even gotten anything that good from Quests and I'm up to Item Level 19!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

a cat on an apple posted:

RE: Renown, it's also important to party with Guild members because that earns us Influence, which allows us to buy week-long buffs as well as other things.

:monocle: I haven't even gotten anything that good from Quests and I'm up to Item Level 19!

You can get an imbued weapon right in the first zone (Not the starter zone). In the case of the Aurin/Mordresh starter zone there's a mob you have to kill over by the area where you are saving vegetables and killing freaky grub things. He's off by himself and slightly larger than the rest of his kin, you kill him, he drops a skull, you turn it in to Victor Lazarin and imbue it by killing the firestorm tank.

EDIT: And it's better than all given quest rewards by a fair bit for the next half dozen levels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If NCSoft US won't accept my debit card payments for the game, because I lack a US address, how would I go about setting up a subscription after having the game gifted to me?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

If NCSoft US won't accept my debit card payments for the game, because I lack a US address, how would I go about setting up a subscription after having the game gifted to me?

PayPal, perhaps?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

You can get an imbued weapon right in the first zone (Not the starter zone). In the case of the Aurin/Mordresh starter zone there's a mob you have to kill over by the area where you are saving vegetables and killing freaky grub things. He's off by himself and slightly larger than the rest of his kin, you kill him, he drops a skull, you turn it in to Victor Lazarin and imbue it by killing the firestorm tank.

EDIT: And it's better than all given quest rewards by a fair bit for the next half dozen levels.

Northern Wastes and the Dominion-side zones have pretty much the exact same thing and I thought it was a neat thing to tie weapon ability unlocks to killing named mobs.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a quick way to identify rare mobs?

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

No kidding about adventures being the express train to leveling. First one took maybe half an hour and got me all of 15->16 and 70% of 16->17. DPS still roll on support gear, just like every MMO in history. What are the rewards at the end? That part wasn't explained too explicitly.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Paypal or just pay with prepaid cards?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CrashCat posted:

I asked around about the contested zones for PvP servers and it looks like they don't even start until level 20. They haven't really built them with an eye toward PvP from what I can tell

Actually they did. In whitevale, there is a specific achievement tied to killing players in an certain place, I didn't do much questing but there is at least one quest where exile players are a possible target in addition to exile NPC, and I don't know what they're used for but you can loot lopp shinies things from other players that you kill.

There used to be sanctuary areas but we whined about them enough that they removed them.

They just need to fix the guards on pvp servers being level 65 and obliterating you for gently caress off damage, but it has been confirmed to be a bug.

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 12, 2014

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

straw man posted:

No kidding about adventures being the express train to leveling. First one took maybe half an hour and got me all of 15->16 and 70% of 16->17. DPS still roll on support gear, just like every MMO in history. What are the rewards at the end? That part wasn't explained too explicitly.

The first adventure is great from 15-20 and only takes 7-8 runs for those 5 levels. Anyone with closed beta experience have a plan for leveling to 50 quickly?

From open beta experience my plan is:

1-12 Questing in Crimson Isle and subsequent zone (DO NOT start in Levian Bay)
12-15 Questing in Auroria
15-20 Adventure
20-50 Questing?

War of the Wilds didn't seem like great exp. I think I got something like 17% of a level at 26 and it can take a while if your group sucks or the engineer NPC spawns. The dungeons aren't terrible exp but they only seem good if you can run them quickly with no wiping. And the gear kind of sucks compared to questing.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Normal Adult Human posted:

Is there a quick way to identify rare mobs?

I'm not sure about rare mobs but I learned through a lot of "oh poo poo why did I shoot that" that Prime mobs are usually REALLY REALLY RED.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Tomed2000 posted:

The first adventure is great from 15-20 and only takes 7-8 runs for those 5 levels. Anyone with closed beta experience have a plan for leveling to 50 quickly?

From open beta experience my plan is:

12-15 Questing in Auroria
15-20 Adventure
20-50 Questing?

War of the Wilds didn't seem like great exp. I think I got something like 17% of a level at 26 and it can take a while if your group sucks or the engineer NPC spawns. The dungeons aren't terrible exp but they only seem good if you can run them quickly with no wiping. And the gear kind of sucks compared to questing.

Unless they retune it, BGs are probably most effective.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

straw man posted:

DPS still roll on support gear, just like every MMO in history.
The problem is everyone has a "support" role and the assault role, so literally everyone could make use of two sets. You probably won't see most of the people go away from DPS but anyone could, which is going to make for some lovely loot arguments. The whole 'stats mean different poo poo for different classes' just makes it even more confusing:

So yeah, that's gonna be a total clusterfuck. I'm thinking of keeping a support set but I feel like it would be dishonest of me to roll need on it over the tank or the healer, even though I could be the tank or the healer if they're not around.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

CrashCat posted:

The problem is everyone has a "support" role and the assault role, so literally everyone could make use of two sets. You probably won't see most of the people go away from DPS but anyone could, which is going to make for some lovely loot arguments. The whole 'stats mean different poo poo for different classes' just makes it even more confusing:

So yeah, that's gonna be a total clusterfuck. I'm thinking of keeping a support set but I feel like it would be dishonest of me to roll need on it over the tank or the healer, even though I could be the tank or the healer if they're not around.

That's a cool chart. I feel like people are going to get a little possessive of loot for their own role - I could go DPS in theory, but I haven't bought any DPS skills and my gear all has insight and support power.

The Chua mailbox battleground reward... I guess that's just decorative and doesn't let you get mail on your property (yet)?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tomed2000 posted:

What is wrong with Levian Bay? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary from the other starter zones.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

CrashCat posted:

What is wrong with Levian Bay? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary from the other starter zones.

Levian Bay is fine - Ellevar is probably fine now (back in closed beta it was significantly slower progression than Deradune)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

straw man posted:

That's a cool chart. I feel like people are going to get a little possessive of loot for their own role - I could go DPS in theory, but I haven't bought any DPS skills and my gear all has insight and support power.

The Chua mailbox battleground reward... I guess that's just decorative and doesn't let you get mail on your property (yet)?
My guess is the "everyone has two roles" system is to squash the old "welp we don't have the tank/healer we can't play tonight" garbage. If you get any five people together, unless you get 5 coin flips the same way, you WILL have a tank and a healer. It's going to take a lot of adjustment from people to get used to this culture though, and they might just flip out and leave instead. Basically my feeling is eventually people will decide that if you're not prepared to do your non-DPS role in a pinch then you're a bad player.

Oh, and I did actually read about the mailbox thing, they are supposed to work but they hosed it up. It's on their list of things to fix... somewhere.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

CrashCat posted:

It's ugly and boring and please set it on fire

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It's ugly and boring and please set it on fire
Ah yes, Durotar 2.0 is much better than Gilligan's Island beach + spooky forest + fuckoff huge Eldan station. I'm sick of stupid deserts everywhere and Levian Bay seemed way more varied to me. I guess that's a good sign though if it's not a slam dunk choice.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CrashCat posted:

Ah yes, Durotar 2.0 is much better than Gilligan's Island beach + spooky forest + fuckoff huge Eldan station. I'm sick of stupid deserts everywhere and Levian Bay seemed way more varied to me. I guess that's a good sign though if it's not a slam dunk choice.

It's a pretty obvious choice when one's first four quests are picking stuff up off the ground.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Unless they retune it, BGs are probably most effective.

Really? If you queue with a premade and win every time it would be good at the early levels but I don't think even with winning every time it would be the fastest beyond level 20. Not to mention the gear kinda sucks since much of the item budget is wasted on PvP stats which are known to scale horribly right now.

CrashCat posted:

I guess I should have put the disclaimer that I'm always questing with 3-4 others. Levian Bay is a shithole because there are so many quests that are non-shareable pickup quests while Crimson Isle only has a few of these and they aren't even all that painful. Both zones are kind of poo poo compared to Algoroc, however.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Does anyone know how name reservation is going to work? I'm assuming character names are realm specific, so we'll want to have server(s) picked out before name reservation opens up, which could be as early as midnight PST, right?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Normal Adult Human posted:

It's a pretty obvious choice when one's first four quests are picking stuff up off the ground.

Unless you just really don't like deserts. Questing all feels the same regardless, so it really just comes down to which flavor you like.

I think deradune may have sold my friend on the game though, just as soon as he realized there was a pile of skulls and what it was for. It's basically the most :black101: thing in the game that I've seen so far.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

TriggerHappy posted:

Does anyone know how name reservation is going to work? I'm assuming character names are realm specific, so we'll want to have server(s) picked out before name reservation opens up, which could be as early as midnight PST, right?

reserved names are global

there's still no server list for launch

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

CrashCat posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but Ellevar just doesn't flow as well as Deradune. With Deradune, the monster levels and quest hubs go around in an upside-down "U" shape. Ellevar has stuff scattered all over the place - when I leveled through it, I was constantly having to run around to find hubs I missed.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Plus Ellevar has a fair quantity of bugged and/or shittily designed quests, some of them on critical paths. Though maybe Deradune does too, I haven't been there.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but Ellevar just doesn't flow as well as Deradune. With Deradune, the monster levels and quest hubs go around in an upside-down "U" shape. Ellevar has stuff scattered all over the place - when I leveled through it, I was constantly having to run around to find hubs I missed.

It's not just you. Ellevar, while yes, it's pretty at times, also seems to have a poor variety of quests, including one where you have to pick something like 20-25 mushrooms and leaves and poo poo scattered all around. Questing in Deradune can be tedious, too, but drat, it never got that bad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Doublestep posted:

reserved names are global

there's still no server list for launch

They've said that with the exception of Nexus the beta server list will be the live server list, did they change their minds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tomed2000 posted:

I guess I should have put the disclaimer that I'm always questing with 3-4 others. Levian Bay is a shithole because there are so many quests that are non-shareable pickup quests while Crimson Isle only has a few of these and they aren't even all that painful. Both zones are kind of poo poo compared to Algoroc, however.
Glad that you brought that up, group questing is kind of terribly awkward as poo poo right now. Just the once or twice I was bumming around with someone else I really wished for a shared quest tracker type thing like I had in WoW. There's an addon that's supposed to help but you both have to have it and it seems like there are a dozen warnings on the page about how it will gently caress you up right now. I really don't want to have to go organize on Mumble and yap back and forth about quest doohickeys just to casually group up.

Honestly if anything that's the one thing wrong that I ought to be screaming at Carbine over, because there's just no excuse for that not being smooth when it's been figured out in other games before. Even Rift did that better for gently caress's sake.

• Locked thread