Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
If that company cared about doing business on a weekend, they would have at least one person who was paid to be available on the weekend. It's probably less about laziness and more about penny-pinching. Or the off chance that they just don't do business on the weekend, but the odds of that seem low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

sfwarlock posted:

me: "I see what's going on here... gently caress you. You can't fire me, I quit."

Never do this unless you already have a start date at another company.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Never do this unless you already have a start date at another company.

They were walking him out the door anyways. Sooo...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RadicalR posted:

They were walking him out the door anyways. Sooo...

You can still do things like file for unemployment insurance if you're fired, especially when it's as nebulous and bullshit as described. Not so if you quit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can if you quit due to a hostile work environment. More of an uphill battle than being fired though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Best you talk to an actual lawyer and see what you have a chance of getting. Somehow I doubt "you can't fire me, I quit" when you've just been told you're fired is enough reason to be denied unemployment insurance or to absolve an employer who doesn't follow their written termination policies of guilt. But I can't actually tell you that with any authority.

You should at least be able to find a lawyer willing to give you a free half hour consult if you look around.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sfwarlock posted:

me: "I see what's going on here... gently caress you. You can't fire me, I quit."

Or, instead of telling you what you should do, let me be the first to ask what you actually wound up doing since the first thing you mentioned was that it happened a year ago and I think it's safe to assume that you've moved on already.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Frustrating and makes me wonder why some people have cell phones if they don't intend to use them.

Moving to a house where cell signal is flaky drove it home to me how much we rely on them to work. I've established a policy that Important People need to have multiple methods of contact, like alternate email, landlines, etc.

Renegret posted:

Or, instead of telling you what you should do, let me be the first to ask what you actually wound up doing since the first thing you mentioned was that it happened a year ago and I think it's safe to assume that you've moved on already.

I'm in a much better place now, emotionally, professionally and financially. As for what ended up happening... I can't comment. I'll just say they got theirs, I got mine, and leave it at that.

EDIT: Although I will point out, the statement of "You can't fire me, I quit." came after the statement of "You're fired." - i.e, after I'd already been fired...

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 11, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My cell blows rear end at my house so much so that work purchased a Verizon network extender for my home.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sfwarlock posted:

Moving to a house where cell signal is flaky drove it home to me how much we rely on them to work. I've established a policy that Important People need to have multiple methods of contact, like alternate email, landlines, etc.

I'm in a much better place now, emotionally, professionally and financially. As for what ended up happening... I can't comment. I'll just say they got theirs, I got mine, and leave it at that.

EDIT: Although I will point out, the statement of "You can't fire me, I quit." came after the statement of "You're fired." - i.e, after I'd already been fired...

Sounds like someone did lawyer up! :woop:

e: and settled out of court.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 11, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Renegret posted:

Sounds like someone did lawyer up! :woop:

e: and settled out of court.

Or killed their family pet and burnt down the house.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Speaking of IPv6, I've been getting it set up in my apartment for shits and giggles, and I noticed there's no thread about it (and nothing shows up in search [or is search just broken?]) Is there enough demand for one, or should we just roll it into the networking thread? I'm no expert, but I'm getting better at it.

e. I just realized we have a home networking thread and that question probably goes better there. Sorry!

A ticket came in...because the power went out of our building and no one would give us a budget for a UPS for critical gear. Here's to hoping they will now!

I will say, though, we got everything major back up within an hour and the downtime actually gave me some time to unfuck a hosed-up RAID array.

Casull fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 11, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

sfwarlock posted:

"I can't quit... I'm fired!"

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Verloc posted:

This. Even in at-will states (AKA states with the shittiest of lovely poo poo worker protections) not following your own policies is grounds to get the gently caress sued out of you and lose handsomly. A company with 'we require 2 written disciplinary actions before terminating a worker' in the handbook that fired you and is unable to produce said countersigned write-ups would be in position for enough of a legal slam dunk that at the bare minimum their legal department would want to settle generously out of court before their collective corporate rear end in a top hat gets left in ruins by the settlement.

This is why I am soooo looking forwards to this week. The fellow employee who was assaulted by his boss lawyered up and went to CEO demanding that the boss be fired per the employee handbook (which clearly states that anyone who assaults a fellow employee will be fired immediately). They have yet to do it and he gave them until start of business this week. It's going to be a magical week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

the spyder posted:

This is why I am soooo looking forwards to this week. The fellow employee who was assaulted by his boss lawyered up and went to CEO demanding that the boss be fired per the employee handbook (which clearly states that anyone who assaults a fellow employee will be fired immediately). They have yet to do it and he gave them until start of business this week. It's going to be a magical week.

Ooh drama! Keep us informed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

Ooh drama! Keep us informed.

I like this drama. Much jucier than the poo poo talking with no action or follow up that goes on around here.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 12, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

the spyder posted:

Now this is something that's going places. Glad the guy had the balls!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

the spyder posted:

This is why [we are all] soooo looking forwards to this week.

Yes, please tell us more as it happens. Ideally he also assaults the lawyer.

The cops were called for the original incident right?

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

blackswordca posted:

So a wage review came in.

No increase as expected. I fall below expectations.

This is my surprised face.

Have you handed in your resignation yet?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Funking Giblet posted:

Have you handed in your resignation yet?

I don't think you can resign from twisted psychological experiments.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Test environment? Why would we use a test environment for in-house tools?

In other news, the immutable start time for all automatically generated tickets is now 0 in Epoch time. Goodbye metrics. My average ticket creation time is now longer than I've been alive.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 12, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Yes, please tell us more as it happens. Ideally he also assaults the lawyer.

The cops were called for the original incident right?

I don't believe so, but I'm not involved. There was another manager present (who broke up the fight). Did I mention this happened at a expensive restaurant in front of dozens of people. They were obviously kicked out.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
An e-mail came in from a recruiter

quote:

Requirements:
  • Must be able to work independently.
  • Must have a high sense of urgency.
  • Solid ability to communicate effectively and patiently with seniors, staff, management, and vendors.
  • A broad technical background which can be a mix of hobby and professional.
  • Eagerness to learn.
  • Takes pride in work and work product.
  • They must be mature and level headed.
  • They need to know when to escalate to corporate IT or a vendor.
  • Solid background in technical support
  • Computer support/repair, phone systems, email, etc

Responsibilities:

Literally everything. This position supports just about everything technology related in the community. Cisco VOIP phone system, door access control systems, wireless infrastructure, computer/printer support, emergency call system, Point-of-Sale system, TV/cable feeds, LAN/WAN networking, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, wander alert systems, wireless phones, HVAC management systems, A/V event support, server support, Windows desktop O/S, Windows server O/S, and resident computer support and training.

Note from the manager:

We have vendors that will lend support and training to this position. We would like this person to have some areas of expertise. But where they don’t have expertise, they will work with the vendor to effect a solution. Also, the person currently in this position will be working out of the McLean office, so he can provide guidance and some level of support while they get proficient.

Selling Points: This position is the principal technology support person for a “company” of 200 people at Fox Hill. The grounds are extremely high-end, well kept, and frankly, beautiful. This position is exposed to many different technologies every day and no two days are ever the same. It is not a “desk job” and they will frequently be out and about the campus. This position is supported by corporate IT and our vendors. There is significant opportunity for formal and on-the-job training. They will be exposed to everything from Cisco Unity phone systems to high end auditorium audio/visual systems. This position will be the “owner” of all the technology.

Ideal Candidates: 1) experienced technology (A/V world, corporate IT world, IT services world) professional looking to take ownership of a wide array of technologies in a role where every day is different and not tied to a desk; or 2) a relatively inexperienced technology professional who has broad (not deep) experience who is looking to get experience with many different technologies.

Our ideal candidate is probably a senior help desk person:
1. who isn’t looking to be a CIO in 5 years
2. who doesn’t want to be tied to a desk all day
3. who likes a lot of variety
4. who loves technology and wants to learn
5. who likes be the on-site technology guru
6. who works well with others who have little technology experience
7. who takes pride and ownership in his/her systems
8. who places value on the “second paycheck” (working with seniors and supporting others who appreciate their hard work)

Sure let me apply to that right away. My favorite is the HVAC Management thrown in there

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

pr0digal posted:

Sure let me apply to that right away. My favorite is the HVAC Management thrown in there

Is HVAC management starting to become a thing?

This is from a position I saw online today:

Shipping company IT position posted:

POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES

Administer all MIS equipment – desktop computing, Wintel servers, printers, telephone instruments and equipment, video conferencing, switches, routers, and other general networking equipment.
Diagnose problems, train users and provide desktop computing support.
Coordinate with vendors on basic facility issues including new wiring installs, UPS battery tests, network cable runs and desktop / cubicle moves.
Apply software patches / upgrades and respond to user requests as needed.
Perform pro-active maintenance on all computing equipment.
Manage building facility including HVAC, office and telecom equipment.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

High school diploma or equivalent; Bachelor's degree preferred.
Experience with AS400, Avaya, Windows 2003, XP, Vista, Win7 and Microsoft BackOffice.
Working knowledge of remote connectivity software such as RDP, Citrix and Cisco VPN.
Basic understanding of Cisco switches, routers and TCP / IP networking.
Experience with Microsoft Active Directory, administration, creation of user accounts and Internet email.
Excellent communication, time management and problem solving skills.
Available on-call some nights and weekends.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

8. who places value on the “second paycheck” (working with seniors and supporting others who appreciate their hard work)

You will never get promoted and your pay is poo poo.

Cool.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

blackswordca posted:

I'm at a loss to how you'd manage HVAC other than call the repair guy when it breaks.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lareous posted:

I'm at a loss to how you'd manage HVAC other than call the repair guy when it breaks.

You're now that guy.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Lareous posted:

I guess it falls into the "If it has power, you support it" category

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lareous posted:

Manage the "Please do not touch thermostat" signs when they fall/are ripped down?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Lareous posted:

Large HVAC systems tend to use a control/scheduling/monitoring software, hence some shitbox running NT/98/2000/2003/XP. The thought process is along the lines of "ohh we need to make changes to the HVAC scheduling program, let's make the IT guy do it since he's good at computers."

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

pr0digal posted:

And I'm out.

blackswordca posted:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

Experience with AS400, Windows 2003, XP

Out again. "We will fight infrastructure investments tooth and nail. How's that hypertension treatin' ya?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

I like the AS400 requirement thrown in out of nowhere

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We have a backup generator at our mental hospital that can easily power the whole place multiple times over.

Problem is, it takes 5 seconds to spin up which is enough time to take out our whole network about once a month when Nstar fucks up.

Does anyone have a recommendation for some kind of UPS system that would be cost effective? We have a mission critical office that needs 8000 watts max, 4000 watts average, guaranteed for 30 seconds to make sure the generator can kick over. Our budget is $4500, and I can use a mix like a couple really expensive UPS, or a bunch of smaller ones.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

blackswordca posted:

It's worrying if it is... The computer controlling the HVAC system is directly to the left of my PC. Almost as if it were placed there... strategically. :doh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zero VGS posted:

We have a backup generator at our mental hospital that can easily power the whole place multiple times over.

Problem is, it takes 5 seconds to spin up which is enough time to take out our whole network about once a month when Nstar fucks up.

Does anyone have a recommendation for some kind of UPS system that would be cost effective? We have a mission critical office that needs 8000 watts max, 4000 watts average, guaranteed for 30 seconds to make sure the generator can kick over. Our budget is $4500, and I can use a mix like a couple really expensive UPS, or a bunch of smaller ones.

How much infrastructure is this ups expected to power for that startup time? Somehow I am thinking 4500 probably isn't going to cut it unless this place is super small.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

How much infrastructure is this ups expected to power for that startup time? Somehow I am thinking 4500 probably isn't going to cut it unless this place is super small.

It's a small call center, about 16 Optiplex 780's and two Xerox Workcentres that claim 675 watts peak on each. We're lucky to get that much money out of them, frankly.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

pr0digal posted:

Parking for rogues only.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

AS400 and HVAC system sounds like my job.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Parking for rogues only.

I was thinking that or an attempt by Penny Arcade to make the job sound not quite so poo poo. The Windows XP thing is probably the most offensive thing on there, but #1 and #8 are pretty awful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pr0digal posted:

"$18/hr, no OT compensation."

• Locked thread