Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Urdnot Fire posted:

then nothing interesting after that.

Are you forgetting Cyvasse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Did they not have Bronn betray him in the show, or does that come later when he wants someone to fight for him?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kcroy posted:

pretty sure there is malware on that page... I got a fake java update and some redirects...

Edit: is Pod dead in the books?

GRRM says he's still alive.

e:

Junkenstein posted:

Killing Shae and Tywin is pretty interesting. Although I'm slightly scared he won't kill Shae in the show.

Eh, I think after last night's episode the writers kind of have to make it happen. They milked the trial scenes for all they were worth, and Shae's betrayal of Tyrion could not have come off as any more cold-hearted. It won't be easy for me to watch, though - not because Shae doesn't deserve it, but because it breaks my heart to think of Tyrion being driven to that.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 12, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jeffrey posted:

Did they not have Bronn betray him in the show, or does that come later when he wants someone to fight for him?

Bronn doesn't really betray him in the books either, he just won't champion for him, he even tells him that he got a better offer and that going against Gregor was something he probably would have refrained from doing. He's a sellsword after all. I bet we'll get a similar conversation in the next episode when Tyrion looks for a champion.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bronn doesn't really betray him in the books either, he just won't champion for him, he even tells him that he got a better offer and that going against Gregor was something he probably would have refrained from doing. He's a sellsword after all. I bet we'll get a similar conversation in the next episode when Tyrion looks for a champion.

Yeah, this. I can't really blame Bronn, and I don't see him not fighting for Tyrion as a betrayal. It's not exactly "nice" of him, per se, but he knows fighting Gregor is suicide. Unlike Oberyn, of course.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah okay, that makes sense. I mean he does get a lordship in exchange for not fighting for Tyrion, maybe it's not quite betrayal. Obviously he has no love for Cersei.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah okay, that makes sense. I mean he does get a lordship in exchange for not fighting for Tyrion, maybe it's not quite betrayal. Obviously he has no love for Cersei.

Well, and, barring the intervention of a certain eunuch, Tyrion must seem 100% doomed to Bronn. There's not much that can be done, from his perspective. That doesn't mean standing up for his friend wouldn't be the "right" thing to do, but hey. This is Westeros. Doing the right thing doesn't help you survive as long as Bronn has.

I can't wait for the final scene between Tyrion and Tywin, though. As much as I love Tywin as a villain, and as much as I'll miss Charles Dance on the show, Tyrion really, really deserves his revenge.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

OhYeah posted:

I don't know, the show is progressing much faster and drifting farther from the books than I would've expected. I think this pretty much confirms the TV authors have no faith in Gurm getting WoW out before march 2015.

Even if Winds comes out before season five starts, the show is a sure thing to pass the books. Here is how I project it to play out on the show.

Season 5 - Feast/Dance

Season 6 - Winds

Season 7 - Winds/Dream

Season 8 - Dream

So, even if GURM has TWoW out by season 5 (lol), that only gives him 2 years to complete ADoS. It ain't happening. I guess the show runners could add another season of Feast/Dance, which would be as stretching it pretty thin.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Jeffrey posted:

iirc he visits Tyrion in the prison and it's like a sleazy version of the "You've been so good to me Pod, please poo poo on me and leave for your own sake". That's when Bronn tells him about his knighthood and how he's slowly climbing the ranks of house reatard via marrying ugly chicks and getting into duels with idiots.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Some of the characters are already in dance territory and will definitely move past it next season.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

please go back and reread all of the descriptions of food, it's worth it and provides a reward for the careful reader

if you had ever posted in this thread before I wouldn't have believed that was real so good job I guess

I am extremely earnest and pretend that trolling does not exist and everyone is sincere and literal. It makes things even more surreal to be honest.

And my boundless optimism is because I have not read all of books 4 and 5 yet and am currently doing so, while also watching the TV show which is currently feeding me with reworked/new material every week, as well. So I it feels like there is just a never-ending fountain of prime material from this IP and I currently am enjoying it a great deal!

I'm sure it'll be replaced by cynicism and coldly veiled hatred that I ever got interested in this vile neckbeard's world eventually, but I just haven't gotten there yet. I even sincerely believe that Winds of Winter will be out by the end of 2014 for an xmas cash-in, which is demonstrably insane.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kaworu posted:

I am extremely earnest and pretend that trolling does not exist and everyone is sincere and literal. It makes things even more surreal to be honest.

And my boundless optimism is because I have not read all of books 4 and 5 yet and am currently doing so, while also watching the TV show which is currently feeding me with reworked/new material every week, as well. So I it feels like there is just a never-ending fountain of prime material from this IP and I currently am enjoying it a great deal!

I'm sure it'll be replaced by cynicism and coldly veiled hatred that I ever got interested in this vile neckbeard's world eventually, but I just haven't gotten there yet. I even sincerely believe that Winds of Winter will be out by the end of 2014 for an xmas cash-in, which is demonstrably insane.

Well, we'll see. The fact that GRRM is presumably making a poo poo ton of money off of his contract with HBO might motivate him - especially if he ends up losing a lot of that money when he fails to produce.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

mkay0 posted:

Even if Winds comes out before season five starts, the show is a sure thing to pass the books. Here is how I project it to play out on the show.

Season 5 - Feast/Dance

Season 6 - Winds

Season 7 - Winds/Dream

Season 8 - Dream

So, even if GURM has TWoW out by season 5 (lol), that only gives him 2 years to complete ADoS. It ain't happening. I guess the show runners could add another season of Feast/Dance, which would be as stretching it pretty thin.

I could be wrong, but I think I read the overall plan was 9 seasons, which would imply seasons 5 is feast and season 6 is dance. They are separate books after all, though those will be some slow rear end seasons. If we're dreaming, the next book will come out somewhere in that time, which still puts a hard deadline of under a year for the last book to come out. Unless he's writing both at the same time to have it ready, it just will not happen, like you said.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I could be wrong, but I think I read the overall plan was 9 seasons, which would imply seasons 5 is feast and season 6 is dance. They are separate books after all, though those will be some slow rear end seasons. If we're dreaming, the next book will come out somewhere in that time, which still puts a hard deadline of under a year for the last book to come out. Unless he's writing both at the same time to have it ready, it just will not happen, like you said.

The only reason dance and feast aren't mixed in the books is because Ser Fanatic of Jets is an idiot. There's no reason to separate them by character for the TV show and people who watch the TV show aren't as conditioned to abuse so they'd never put up with it anyway.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I sincerely doubt they will keep feast and dance in separate seasons (not to mention that they've already started them) as they would have to not hire half the actors for each season.

Am I the only one who liked the Dorne chapters? I was iffy at first (Fartstar), but I loved the reveal that Doran was poor man's (rich man's?) Littlefinger or Varys and that his plans were failing horribly.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Majorian posted:

Well, we'll see. The fact that GRRM is presumably making a poo poo ton of money off of his contract with HBO might motivate him - especially if he ends up losing a lot of that money when he fails to produce.

Yeah. A fire is already being lit underneath his fatass, which has resulted in him getting a lot more writing done than usual.

On the other hand the prequel season(s) might be likely.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
As interested as I am in all of that stuff from Robert's Rebellion I really hope he finishes the ACTUAL loving book series first!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Why would GRRM lose money if the show catches up to the books? I mean other than the fact he is likely to sell more copies of TWOW if he releases it while the show is still airing I doubt there's some clause in his contract with HBO indicating that he has to finish the books or anything like that. Dude licenses his IP to HBO, he gets money as long as they use his IP and make money off of it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why would GRRM lose money if the show catches up to the books? I mean other than the fact he is likely to sell more copies of TWOW if he releases it while the show is still airing I doubt there's some clause in his contract with HBO indicating that he has to finish the books or anything like that. Dude licenses his IP to HBO, he gets money as long as they use his IP and make money off of it.

It's losing face for not being able to finish the one work his whole career will be remembered for before the TV show that's an adaption of it that would matter to him, not losing money.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You lose viewers if you don't have a season ready to go every year, barring some incredible replacement idea like a Roberts Rebellion season.

Also have fun when you come back to the main storyline and Bran is 6 feet tall and Arya has juggz.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

savinhill posted:

It's losing face for not being able to finish the one work his whole career will be remembered for before the TV show that's an adaption of it that would matter to him, not losing money.

Why would that matter to him?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Because there's a massive amount of his personal identity tied up in being A Successful Writer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You lose viewers if you don't have a season ready to go every year, barring some incredible replacement idea like a Roberts Rebellion season.

This, plus HBO knows that GRRM simply never finishing the series ever is well within the realm of possibility. They must have known that from the moment they even started considering picking up the show.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I predict that in the show Bronn will take the place of all of the Kettleblacks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Because there's a massive amount of his personal identity tied up in being A Successful Writer.

Lately though that hasn't actually motivated him to loving write.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought they were already set on finishing everything up in 7 seasons. And there is no way they will do a prequel season. People would stop watching by the droves.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

NutritiousSnack posted:

On the other hand the prequel season(s) might be likely.

I can't possibly see this happening. Why would HBO even consider it? They would have to screw with the format of their most popular show, for what? To give GURM more time to write, with no guarantee that he will even finish in time? Or, to keep the book-readers from quitting the show so they don't get spoiled? This season is already spoiling the books, and the ratings and online communities only show a very positive response so far.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If a prequel season ever gets made it will be a cash-in after the show gets wrapped up. I remember from a while ago that HBO asked GRRM to develop another show for them, it was rumored to be Dunk&Egg.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If a prequel season ever gets made it will be a cash-in after the show gets wrapped up. I remember from a while ago that HBO asked GRRM to develop another show for them, it was rumored to be Dunk&Egg.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. With the numbers this show is pushing, there is literally a 0% chance they won't try to milk it for all its worth.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only reason dance and feast aren't mixed in the books is because Ser Fanatic of Jets is an idiot. There's no reason to separate them by character for the TV show and people who watch the TV show aren't as conditioned to abuse so they'd never put up with it anyway.

The only reason for Feast and Dance being two separate books is that GRRM is a loving lazy bastard that can't finish a loving story to save his life.
I had Feast pre-booked prior to release and it was finally released as half a book, since GRRM couldn't fit it in one book and he would do the rest in Dance, that would come soon. 5 years later and we are really not much further in the story line, and it is so far in literal deep poo poo.

My only consolation is that the increased stress on GRRM to finish the series will probably end with him getting an heart attack and drown in his food.

On something else, didn't the TV series Beauty and the Beast have severe problems with the end of the series?
I remember it being pretty weird in the end.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FrozenVent posted:

Lately though that hasn't actually motivated him to loving write.

Sounds a lot like he's regressed to being an amateur novellist, then. "I'm a writer! *doesn't write*"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Majorian posted:

This, plus HBO knows that GRRM simply never finishing the series ever is well within the realm of possibility. They must have known that from the moment they even started considering picking up the show.

Fo sho, it's just fun imagining what their plan could possibly be. Luckily this is one ASOIAF mystery that you will only have to wait a year, maybe 2, to have solved.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Corrected.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought they were already set on finishing everything up in 7 seasons. And there is no way they will do a prequel season. People would stop watching by the droves.
Yeah, I think 7 seasons is currently the tentative plan. 9 seasons sounds more like GRRM's dream.

Feast = S5 and Dance = S6 really doesn't make sense because they've already started both Feast and Dance right now in S4.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 12, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is there a word to describe the feeling where you're disappointed that the show sidestepped something really stupid that you wanted to see them poo poo the bed with?

Like lets say they come up with some way to make Brienne and Pods hike of boredom into something decent. I would actually be kind of mad to not get the true translation of how torturous that whole thing was.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
http://youtu.be/yXeJla-EHEk - wont let me embed because of copyright claim.

Didn't get as much of the video as I wanted; I think it matches up pretty well regardless.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also have fun when you come back to the main storyline and Bran is 6 feet tall and Arya has juggz.

Trees are usually more than 6 feet tall anyway, so I wouldn't worry about Bran.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Avoided even water-skiing with sharks?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is there a word to describe the feeling where you're disappointed that the show sidestepped something really stupid that you wanted to see them poo poo the bed with?

Like lets say they come up with some way to make Brienne and Pods hike of boredom into something decent. I would actually be kind of mad to not get the true translation of how torturous that whole thing was.

They still get to do the circuit priest. That's two episodes right there. With added Sandor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

I predict that in the show Bronn will take the place of all of the Kettleblacks.

-Bronn I need you to set up a network of spies to watch Lady Margaery

-What's in it for me?

*sex scene*

-Bronn, Lady Whiskers has gone missing

-It'll cost you

*more sex*

-Bronn, fetch me that pitcher

-You know the routine

*bow chicka wow wow*