Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

This thread convinced me to try sardines out and now i have a new favorite snack. HAd some from trader joes on some white toast with homemade hotsauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Haverchuck posted:

I think youre really not supposed to eat anything but sardines and squid, from a sustainability standpoint

oysters are also very sustainable

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

FaradayCage posted:

King Oscars will do you fine. They are small, so you won't notice any bones.

:colbert: That pile of spines is only small if I compare it to, say, a pile of human spines.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Haverchuck posted:

I think youre really not supposed to eat anything but sardines and squid, from a sustainability standpoint

works for me, sardine supremacy

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maw posted:

Can I get these wondrous KO dines in the UK? I haven't seen any in the shops whenever I'm looking out for canned fish products.

The King Oscar site doesn't list any UK retail shops. I can't even find them on amazon.co.uk. :shrug:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Atoramos posted:

:colbert: That pile of spines is only small if I compare it to, say, a pile of human spines.

What the gently caress. Did you buy a mattress-sized can of King Oscars whole dolphins in olive oil?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Bad Sneakers posted:

Ok this is what my local wegmans' theoretically has on the shelf. Pls recommend -

King Oscar Sardines, in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
KING OSCAR PREM SAR MED
KING OSCAR TMTO SARDINE
King Oscar Sardines, Mediterranean Style, One Layer

I've actually never had Bumble Bee, but I'm not holding my breath. The Med-style KO's ain't bad - I'd get a can to compare to the regular ones in olive oil and see which floats your boat better.

Get a can of King Oscars in tomato sauce and compare with Brunswick or something to see if it's worth it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I actually enjoyed my bumblebee in mustard 'dines on some toasted french bread. Like they're not mind-blowing or whatever, but I liked them well enough.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

DiggityDoink posted:

sadly eel is bad to eat sustainability wise. it's super delicious so i dont avoid it all together but it's a once or twice a year thing for me

I saw a pretty good recipe for mock eel that used catfish. I'll try and find it, it was baller.

Edit: Here we go: http://fridgg.com/blog/sushi-and-a-sustainable-replacement-for-unagi-394.html It was very good.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 12, 2014

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

can we talk of anchovies here, because after 30 years of life i recently tried them and they're god damned delicious.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

draconic posted:

can we talk of anchovies here, because after 30 years of life i recently tried them and they're god damned delicious.

If you are not putting anchovies on a Caesar salad you are out of you're goddamn mind.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

draconic posted:

We absolutely "can." -- a dad joke

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Can it be repeated? This is the best GBS thread in years.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

We absolutely "can." -- a dad joke

Oh, yes, con-"tin"-ue

FaradayCage posted:

Get a can of King Oscars in tomato sauce and compare with Brunswick or something to see if it's worth it.

brunswick is garbage IMO, better off with random 1$ can Philippine brand or... well, anything other than chicken of the sea.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 12, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Sizone posted:

Oh, yes, con-"tin"-ue

brunswick is garbage IMO, better off with random 1$ can Philippine brand or... well, anything other than chicken of the sea.

Hey don't hate the Philippines, 555 is legit as gently caress.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Big Beef City posted:

My Polish grandfather used crushed saltines instead of breadcrumbs exclusively, in any recipe that called for them.
I did not mention this, thinking no one would appreciate it.

Crushed Saltines, the poor man's panko. I heartily endorse their use.

edit: also, don't fry anything in olive oil. Olive oil has a very low smoking-point and should never be heated to it. Use vegetable, peanut oil, or Crisco to fry things. If you're frying things in olive oil you're flat out doing it wrong. You're either burning the oil to fry things, or you're frying things at way, WAY too low a temperature. Don't do it ever.

Frying things in olive oil is working out pretty well for me over the last twenty years I've been doing it but thanks anyway. I mean I wouldn't make a stir-fry with extra virgin but there are plenty of scenarios where more refined oil works fine - check out olive producers' websites, they all agree that you shouldn't be afraid of using it to fry if you can avoid burning it with dumbness.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Currently eating the last of the pack of Wild Planet 'dines that I got at Costco. Don't like 'em as much as King Oscars since they're a bit dry, but drat are they tasty with mustard or hot sauce.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I'm out of KO Tiny Tots again. :sigh:

They went up 50 cents in price recently.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i am still eating sardines. i don't have any new recipes, i tried making a ragu using them with lemon juice, garlic, and parsley but it didn't turn out how i wanted. i will probably try them in tomato sauce soon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

draconic posted:

white anchovies are great too when you want anchovies with acid instead of salt

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Christmas Miracle posted:

i am still eating sardines. i don't have any new recipes, i tried making a ragu using them with lemon juice, garlic, and parsley but it didn't turn out how i wanted. i will probably try them in tomato sauce soon

Dude just go straight up bread garlic avocado and dines. You'll be hooked but you can't blame me.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hobohemian posted:

Dude just go straight up bread garlic avocado and dines. You'll be hooked but you can't blame me.

i've done this before, it's good but i've been trying to incorporate them into something more substantial like a pasta dish or something.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

i've done this before, it's good but i've been trying to incorporate them into something more substantial like a pasta dish or something.

I'm assuming the ragu you tried had tomatoes of some sort in there? Or am I being a culinary dunce?

I imagine if you're trying to combine them with pasta, all the ingredients you listed are on the money - if you don't include tomato. Try throwing in some radishes and red pepper flakes to add some punch.

Also make sure you're using high quality sardines for that kind of dish, because the flavors are all very subtle. King Oscars or above.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

FaradayCage posted:

I'm assuming the ragu you tried had tomatoes of some sort in there? Or am I being a culinary dunce?

I imagine if you're trying to combine them with pasta, all the ingredients you listed are on the money - if you don't include tomato. Try throwing in some radishes and red pepper flakes to add some punch.

Also make sure you're using high quality sardines for that kind of dish, because the flavors are all very subtle. King Oscars or above.

i did not include tomato. i used the term ragu to describe the texture, basically they were all mashed up and cooked with garlic, then i added parsley and lemon and tossed with pasta, then parmesan cheese over the top. i used a can of KO in olive oil. i think tomato is a good match for sardines and i like puttanesca sauce, so i'm gonna try a garlicky tomato sauce with sardines and hot pepper.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

i did not include tomato. i used the term ragu to describe the texture, basically they were all mashed up and cooked with garlic, then i added parsley and lemon and tossed with pasta, then parmesan cheese over the top. i used a can of KO in olive oil. i think tomato is a good match for sardines and i like puttanesca sauce, so i'm gonna try a garlicky tomato sauce with sardines and hot pepper.

Be sure to include anchovies too then.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

FaradayCage posted:

Be sure to include anchovies too then.

yeah, i'm not saying it will be puttanesca sauce, but it would definitely have similar characteristics to puttanesca sauce (tomato, garlic, hot pepper) in spite of the fact that i'm using sardines and not anchovies. chopped oil cured olives might be a nice addition for sardines actually

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DiggityDoink posted:

sadly eel is bad to eat sustainability wise. it's super delicious so i dont avoid it all together but it's a once or twice a year thing for me

Haverchuck posted:

Sorry to be a downer in the happy canned fish thread, but seriously don't eat eel, any kind of eel.

There are plenty of fish species that can be fished sustainably, but eels are not among them. All major commercially fished species of eel are actually critically endangered and could go extinct withing our lifetime. The catches of European eel have dropped with 99% since the 1970s, and it's all from overfishing. The American and Asian eel stocks have dropped dramatically but are not yet critically endangered.

Eels can't be farmed, and no one really knows how they reproduce. Eels leave fresh water to head into the deep ocean to breed right in the middle of the ocean far from land. There's been many unsuccessful attempts to get eels to spawn in captivity, but it's still a mystery what actually triggers spawning.

All farm raised eel have been caught wild as young glass eels. These catches are way down too.

Eat fish, but please avoid eel, sharks, and bluefin. Those are the ones that could really permanently go extinct on us.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Went to investigate the dine selection in Lidl today. They had a mediocre selection at best, this was the only brand they have:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haha, last night at mother's day dinner my dad was talking about how the favorite meal his mom used to make was salmon croquettes (basically meat loaf with canned salmon) because a) that was the only meal she could actually cook well and b) in the 70s basically everything was canned or frozen.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I made those with smoked mackerel a few weeks back and they turned out awesome.

I wonder if I should try canned mackerel, though. Despite having always liked sardines and kippers, I have this "eugh, canned fish" attitude toward stuff I'm used to buying fresh or smoked.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

I put a can of the anchovy fillets in with a can of sardines, and some tomatoes, garlic, onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. It was probably the best meal I've cooked in a while. Thanks, thread, for indirectly causing this.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Just had some shower 'dines. Were pretty good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Decrepus posted:

Just had some shower 'dines. Were pretty good.

You ate them in the shower? Did you have a shower beer, too?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

Sorry to be a downer in the happy canned fish thread, but seriously don't eat eel, any kind of eel.

There are plenty of fish species that can be fished sustainably, but eels are not among them. All major commercially fished species of eel are actually critically endangered and could go extinct withing our lifetime. The catches of European eel have dropped with 99% since the 1970s, and it's all from overfishing. The American and Asian eel stocks have dropped dramatically but are not yet critically endangered.

Eels can't be farmed, and no one really knows how they reproduce. Eels leave fresh water to head into the deep ocean to breed right in the middle of the ocean far from land. There's been many unsuccessful attempts to get eels to spawn in captivity, but it's still a mystery what actually triggers spawning.

All farm raised eel have been caught wild as young glass eels. These catches are way down too.

Eat fish, but please avoid eel, sharks, and bluefin. Those are the ones that could really permanently go extinct on us.

hmm I stopped eating eel but every sushi place still has it

have you tried asking sushi places not to serve it❓

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fyodor posted:

You ate them in the shower? Did you have a shower beer, too?

Yeah and it was tough finding a spot to put my box of crackers.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I blame the movie "The Burbs" for the fact that I never gave sardines a chance until now. There was a scene where Tom Hanks and his neighbors go to stop by the creepy new people's house who just moved into neighborhood. The guests are offered sardines as a treat and everyone but Tom Hanks refuses. Carrie Fisher and Bruce Dern turned their noses up at the sardines. Tom Hanks eats the sardine on a pretzel but everyone acts like its horrible.

So gently caress you Carrie Fisher, gently caress you Bruce Dern, and gently caress you Joe Dante. I didn't need another reason to consider Tom Hanks cool but there it is.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Myron Baloney posted:

Frying things in olive oil is working out pretty well for me over the last twenty years I've been doing it but thanks anyway. I mean I wouldn't make a stir-fry with extra virgin but there are plenty of scenarios where more refined oil works fine - check out olive producers' websites, they all agree that you shouldn't be afraid of using it to fry if you can avoid burning it with dumbness.
You can raise the smoke point of a good extra virgin by adding butter or clarified butter; but otherwise you a correct. Use a lower quality, latter pressing of olive oil for any pan frying that requires a good deal of heat. You can also mix those with butter or clarified butter to raise the smoke point.

If I understood the Food Network correctly. IANAB (I Am Not Alton Brown).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

hmm I stopped eating eel but every sushi place still has it

have you tried asking sushi places not to serve it❓

People will still ask for it, and restaurants will serve anything there is demand for.

I just want people to know that it's not too late to save the eels, but they have got to stop eating them for a while dammit.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I made those with smoked mackerel a few weeks back and they turned out awesome.

I wonder if I should try canned mackerel, though. Despite having always liked sardines and kippers, I have this "eugh, canned fish" attitude toward stuff I'm used to buying fresh or smoked.

Canned mackerel in tomato sauce is the most sold canned fish here in Scandinavia. It's pretty drat delicious!

Rye bread, mackerel and some hot sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Big Beef City posted:

My Polish grandfather used crushed saltines instead of breadcrumbs exclusively, in any recipe that called for them.
I did not mention this, thinking no one would appreciate it.

Crushed Saltines, the poor man's panko. I heartily endorse their use.

edit: also, don't fry anything in olive oil. Olive oil has a very low smoking-point and should never be heated to it. Use vegetable, peanut oil, or Crisco to fry things. If you're frying things in olive oil you're flat out doing it wrong. You're either burning the oil to fry things, or you're frying things at way, WAY too low a temperature. Don't do it ever.

I've been using crushed Zweibeck crackers for my breading, and I live in a place that sells real cheap pigs fat for fryin.

Here's a recipe that I think am making my Tuesday/Thursday breakfast. Fisherman's eggs.

Ingredients:
1 125 gram can sardines in oil
3-5 eggs depending on how much lumber you're going to chop
2 tsps fresh parsley
a bit of white onion, like 1/4 of a big one, chopped
2 cloves garlic, mince

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit while you're gathering your poo poo together
Dump the sardines into an oven safe bowl, dump the parsley, onion and garlic on top of it. Mash it up real nice like, so it's well mixed and then mash it down flat. Stick it in the oven for 5 minutes or so.
Pull it out, crack the eggs into the bowl on top of the goo. Put it back into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Consume. Also put some pepper on it.

bollig fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 13, 2014

• Locked thread