Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They've said that with the exception of Nexus the beta server list will be the live server list, did they change their minds?

Here's what they posted during the reddit AMA a few days ago:

CRB_Cougar posted:

Hey all,

I'm the Director of Operations here for Carbine Studios and Gaff wanted me to handle this question for him.

Currently we have 9 realms open in both NA and EU. The EU realm names should not change at this point in time. The NA realms are more complicated. Four of the NA realm names have been around for over a year now, and we thought it would be pretty cool if we named the original realms after our major continents in the game (Olyssia, Alizar). Fast forward thousands of users playing the beta, and this is actually really confusing for us.

For example: A player reports "Alizar is crashing Olyssia" ... uh.. Is that the Alizar realm crashing the Olyssia world zone? Or is that the Alizar world zone crashing on the Olyssia realm? Soooo, we need to retire those two names for launch. So Alizar, Olyssia, and Cassus will have their names changed after open beta.

Additionally, "Nexus" is probably one of the few things that brand new players know about our game and I'm really afraid that if we leave that realm name up at launch it will be SILLY overcrowded. BUT! I am going to move that realm name to be the name of our PTR. So the Nexus realm (our original beta realm) is still going to be a part of WildStar (which is only fitting).

Okay, so what about all of the other realms that we haven't opened up to the Beta? I'm holding onto that list right now for a few reasons. The first one is that we haven't finalized our single realm PCU estimations/optimizations. The second being that WildStar is still growing, and in only 24 hours of Open Beta we've seen more people play our game than we have ever before seen - and those numbers are still climbing.

But what about the name reservations? What about organizing our guilds? To the former; name reservations are global. This means you will not select a realm when you reserve a name. Your name is attached to your email address for 90 days post launch, and no one else can get it. As to organizing your guilds, I'm totally sympathetic to your plight. I've done my fair share of day 1 guild organization and I remember one game in the past that we had to decide "Pick the first PVE realm that starts with a 'C'". I understand that isn't optimal, and I'm going to prevent our guilds from doing THAT level of last minute coordination.

But I'm going to hold that realm name list as long as possible in order for me to open up as few of realms as possible at launch. Having high concurrency realms is EXTREMELY important. The more people we can squeeze into a single realm means that we are setting up WildStar for success. Why is that? Because there will be more people online to group with at off hours, the world will feel more alive, and various other reasons (but I'm feeling like I've typed too much and I should stop about now :P)

Our fear is that if we release a realm list of X, Y, and Z realms, that if we find out that we don't need to open up Z at launch, but we've said we were going to, that we'd be forced into opening Z as well. Then we run the risk of Z (or another realm) being low population because everyone is spread out through all of the various realms lowering the individual realm concurrency of every realm. This example only uses 1 realm, and the overall world wide WildStar concurrency won't vary THAT much with a single realm, but this was for the purposes of the example. What if we release 400 names, yet our plans suggest that we'd only need to open 200 (numbers completely blown out of proportion for the example).... those realms could be pretty empty at that point. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

We will post the list before headstart, but I'd love to hold it until 24-72 hours before launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They've said that with the exception of Nexus the beta server list will be the live server list, did they change their minds?

I thought they were changing a couple of names

Anyway since name reservations are global and the game doesn't start till the 31st we have a bit of time to figure everything out.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thoom posted:

Plus Ellevar has a fair quantity of bugged and/or shittily designed quests, some of them on critical paths. Though maybe Deradune does too, I haven't been there.

Deradune had one broken quest that has since been fixed, as evidenced by my datachron not shutting up about it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Thought I should share this chart I stumbled on today:

http://wildstar.silvercircle.net/tradeskills.svg

It's the same as the other tradeskill charts going around but you can click on the boxes on either end to highlight where the items are in each flow. Looks like you can be self-sufficient so long as you avoid Outfitter or Architect, and pick the correct harvesting skill to pair with it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BadLlama posted:

Paypal or just pay with prepaid cards?

gently caress, I completely overlooked Paypal as an option. :downs:

Got an EU and a US account just in case. I really don't want to mess this up when there's thirty quid on the line, you know. :v:

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

CrashCat posted:

It's the same as the other tradeskill charts going around but you can click on the boxes on either end to highlight where the items are in each flow. Looks like you can be self-sufficient so long as you avoid Outfitter or Architect, and pick the correct harvesting skill to pair with it.

That's awesome. Simple as it obviously is, I also really like the division between the commodity broker and auctioneer.

Sounds like Outfitter and Architect may be where the money is.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

This may be a far off stretch but does anyone else have Amazon Award Points and can't apply them to the pre-order purchase of Wildstar?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Trying to DL the client from their site, but the URL doesn't work. Any other areas to get the client?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

straw man posted:

That's awesome. Simple as it obviously is, I also really like the division between the commodity broker and auctioneer.

Sounds like Outfitter and Architect may be where the money is.

Eh I'd assume it'd be Technologist. Everyone needs consumables.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

BadLlama posted:

This may be a far off stretch but does anyone else have Amazon Award Points and can't apply them to the pre-order purchase of Wildstar?

Chatted with support and called them yesterday about this. Guy gave me some evasive answer about reward points not having a US billing address associated with them, I asked him to escalate my feedback ("that's bullshit", in more corporation-friendly words).

So I spent USD on GMG and used the reward points for mother's day presents instead.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Sedisp posted:

I just profited roughly 17 gold within 30 minutes of crafting off of Architecture.

It's bad enough that it might need some major tweaking.

e: note that when I say "within 30 minutes" I also went to my House and farted around a bit, and made multiple trips to the Commodity Exchange because I kept thinking I would stop after 20 more Metal Platforms.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, I decides to try the beta even though I know I won't buy it at full price - what are the current opinions on Engineers and Espers? Those are the two classes hat interested me from a glance over and a watch of the YouTube videos.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

straw man posted:

Chatted with support and called them yesterday about this. Guy gave me some evasive answer about reward points not having a US billing address associated with them, I asked him to escalate my feedback ("that's bullshit", in more corporation-friendly words).

So I spent USD on GMG and used the reward points for mother's day presents instead.

Well that is lame, thanks for the information.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Architecture is going to be the big money maker, without a doubt. Dress up my space barbie dream house? drat right I'll spend money on that. And it's just a big enough pain in the rear end that I see people going "gently caress that I'll just buy it".

Technologist on the other hand is something I see myself just farming up on an alt to supply myself.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

a cat on an apple posted:

I just profited roughly 17 gold within 30 minutes of crafting off of Architecture.

e: note that when I say "within 30 minutes" I also went to my House and farted around a bit, and made multiple trips to the Commodity Exchange because I kept thinking I would stop after 20 more Metal Platforms.
To be fair, CX prices are completely hosed right now due to the ridiculous number of low level players and nobody giving a poo poo about money thanks to the impending wipe. I think we'll see this change a LOT once people are scrambling to liquidate to buy CREDD.

Just because I like to share, here's your "omg wallhax" thread of the day:
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41238-cheated-addon/page-1

Nearly everyone in that thread comes across as a blithering idiot, it's great.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

CrashCat posted:

To be fair, CX prices are completely hosed right now due to the ridiculous number of low level players and nobody giving a poo poo about money thanks to the impending wipe. I think we'll see this change a LOT once people are scrambling to liquidate to buy CREDD.

Just because I like to share, here's your "omg wallhax" thread of the day:
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41238-cheated-addon/page-1

Nearly everyone in that thread comes across as a blithering idiot, it's great.

Ohh... I forgot about CREDD. This is gonna be backwards from WoW. The Eve-style empire pubbies will drive the price of raw materials into the ground and the crafters will be the ones making a fortune.

That addon does sound like it will become 100% required on PvP servers.

* agreed though - gathering profs will probably still be the way to go until that first monthly sub hits around the fourth of july

straw man fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 12, 2014

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Thought I should share this chart I stumbled on today:

Can you trade/sell crafting components? I know they go into their own special bag, wondering if those are character specific. Strongly considering going Stalker/Explorer/Mining/Salvaging for my first character to just make him the perfect collector.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

cams posted:

Can you trade/sell crafting components? I know they go into their own special bag, wondering if those are character specific. Strongly considering going Stalker/Explorer/Mining/Salvaging for my first character to just make him the perfect collector.

Yeah, there's a separate commodities AH that is nothing but components.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So did they purposefully downgrade the game's graphical quality at some point? It seems less detailed than it did in like the first pre-order beta weekend.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

straw man posted:

Ohh... I forgot about CREDD. This is gonna be backwards from WoW. The Eve-style empire pubbies will drive the price of raw materials into the ground and the crafters will be the ones making a fortune.
Yeah, thankfully since it near the beginning of the month it'll be easy to pick up on the cycle. Grab all the cheap mats at the beginning of the month and possibly list the results later in the month when the rush fizzles out a bit. Though the people who buy CREDD for cash might go on a buying rush immediately, so you may want to be out there with Architect poo poo right then.

I'm interested to see how CREDD affects the prices. It doesn't technically cause inflation because the gold was already in the system, but it's certainly going to shove that money around in visible ways.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

cams posted:

Salvaging is not a trade skill. Anybody can do it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Salvaging is not a trade skill. Anybody can do it.
Sorry, meant survivalist.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Hmm even with the massive amounts of dependency?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Outfitter and Architect requiring multiple gathering skills seems like an artifact from when everyone could gather every node just less efficiently

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SlayVus posted:

So did they purposefully downgrade the game's graphical quality at some point? It seems less detailed than it did in like the first pre-order beta weekend.
I tried that "remove all your config poo poo" fix and the client defaulted to low quality settings, including low on textures which almost nobody needs. Even a 5+ year old video card should be able to handle medium textures at this point. I'm guessing you already poked at those settings but if not take a look. They very well might have axed a thing or two to try and calm down the ranting about terrible performance, though the outcry is still pretty loud anyway.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Sedisp posted:

Hmm even with the massive amounts of dependency?

Currently, things are incredibly cheap off of the Commodity Exchange. There should be inflation at launch when people actually care about making money, because of CREDDs, but even then, there's this Schematic that you immediately unlock - Metal Plank - that for 30 Copper has a ~98% chance to become a Metal Platform, which sells at vendors for 18 Silver. It only requires 3 Iron Chunks.

Even if you buy Iron Chunks from a Vendor, you still profit by about 50 Copper per Iron Chunk. That's how efficient that Schematic is. It would take a net worth of 6.5ish Silver per Iron Chunk for Metal Platforms to become negligibly or otherwise not profitable; at which point, you probably might as well grab the Mining Tradeskill and get a House set up with Mining Plugs to make bank off of the inflation anyway.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Currently, things are incredibly cheap off of the Commodity Exchange. There should be inflation at launch when people actually care about making money, because of CREDDs, but even then, there's this Schematic that you immediately unlock - Metal Plank - that for 30 Copper has a ~98% chance to become a Metal Platform, which sells at vendors for 18 Silver. It only requires 3 Iron Chunks.

Even if you buy Iron Chunks from a Vendor, you still profit by about 50 Copper per Iron Chunk. That's how efficient that Schematic is. It would take a net worth of 6.5ish Silver per Iron Chunk for Metal Platforms to become negligibly or otherwise not profitable; at which point, you probably might as well grab the Mining Tradeskill and get a House set up with Mining Plugs to make bank off of the inflation anyway.

I assume they're going to nerf stuff like that though. Hence why you can't make a mountain of gold selling the PVP decor items anymore.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I just figured out the joke in the thread title and it's amazing.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I just figured out the joke in the thread title and it's amazing.

I still haven't. :smith:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

I still haven't. :smith:

Radio killed the video star

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
I've tried out Engineer, Esper, Spell Slinger, and Medic so far.

Engineer and Medic's skill resource system seems straight forward, and Esper as well with the charge build up.

But I don't get Spell Slinger's resource bar that has 4 sigils/runes(?) and the charge mechanic.

I can't tell how many charges I'm building up nor what the resource bar is doing.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Radio killed the video star

And now I'm going to go sit in the corner to hide my shame.

Kresher posted:

But I don't get Spell Slinger's resource bar that has 4 sigils/runes(?) and the charge mechanic.

I can't tell how many charges I'm building up nor what the resource bar is doing.

So your R is spellsurge. Spellsurge makes it so you do more damage/stuff but your attacks now drain runes. If you run out of runes you lose spellsurge.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Kresher posted:

I've tried out Engineer, Esper, Spell Slinger, and Medic so far.

Engineer and Medic's skill resource system seems straight forward, and Esper as well with the charge build up.

Spell Power builds up over time and on some amp effects.

A spell surged ability takes a single sigil (a full circle) to cast

So from full Spellpower, you can cast 4 abilities. but usually a sigil will be full by the time you get on your fourth.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Don't worry about it too much, it really bugs me that it doesn't scan very well.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Sedisp posted:

So your R is spellsurge. Spellsurge makes it so you do more damage/stuff but your attacks now drain runes. If you run out of runes you lose spellsurge.

Doublestep posted:

Spell Power builds up over time and on some amp effects.

A spell surged ability takes a single sigil (a full circle) to cast

So from full Spellpower, you can cast 4 abilities. but usually a sigil will be full by the time you get on your fourth.

Ah, I just tried it out again and figured it out.

Thanks guys.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Well, that's good to know. I just "corrected" the market up to about 5.5 silver on my server (these auction houses are probably server-specific?). Guess I'll be able to buy a mount in the beta after all.

* aww yeah the pubbies bounced it up to 8 silver per chunk on the ask and they're still filling my 75 copper bid

straw man fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 12, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looking for an invite for Dominion guild. Omnidroid in-game. And to starwind3437, I was trying to setup my mic in mumble, wasn't trying to not talk to you.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
^ Says you aren't online, make sure you're on the Nexus server

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Link to a recap of the livestream and all the information contained.

http://wildstarreport.com/2014/05/12/wildstar-developer-livestream/

more importantly.....

quote:

◦The history around the Chua, their lack of distinguishable gender and how they reproduce will be explained in the future of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, first hour and a half or so impression: Not all that amazing. Playing as an engineer, I got up to level 8. Everything took 5-6 hits with my basic to kill, and it took a good ~3 seconds for each basic shot to get off it felt like. Staying at range with anything that wants to be in melee is basically impossible, and circle strafing is god.

Overall it felt really slow, and the engineer's special mechanic (volatality) may have contributed to that, since I had to get 3-4 basic shots off before I could use one of my other skills. Might try an Esper later today, or maybe a spellslinger.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 12, 2014

• Locked thread