Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm quitting forever unless I can make my character the triple breasted alien from whichever movie that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Total Recall?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The cat lady in STV had three breasts too right.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Sweet. Thanks. Can someone invite Asa@ragebiscuit to the channel please? I don't wanna talk with pubbies, they scare me.

You're in.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Thanks, now at least I have interesting things to read while I slowly crawl through these missions again. Stupid Cryptic, losing my account.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16903201&postcount=170

quote:

the ridiculousness of this thread should be obvious due to its having several Replies to it from Members of both Starfleet Dental and Shut Up Wesley. I mean seriously if they have started passing out their "Butthurt report" or whatever is is they call it, it means someone has been feeding the trolls. quit complaining. if the Risa swimsuits are Risa only, more incentive to go there. If they aren't then people are going to run around looking even more silly than they had before. Either way they decide to do it, everyone will have to deal with it. threads like this aren't going to change Cryptic's mind and just make the player base look like squabbling children.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

The cat lady in STV had three breasts too right.

Bingo. :pervert:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

You KNOW your thread sucks when those dnealts start posting. Actually, this thread really doesn't need any further comment from us; all the spergs are coming out of the wordwoork to vent about their views on canon uniforms and bikinis on ESD. Leave it to stoleviathan to start one of the worst threads in recent memory.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

I forgot to ask when I registered for thenextgooneration but may I get access to the wiki? I've signed up under VeridianLeviathan. Thanks again in advance.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

LeviathanGunship posted:

I forgot to ask when I registered for thenextgooneration but may I get access to the wiki? I've signed up under VeridianLeviathan. Thanks again in advance.

Veridian Harem + StoLeviathan = VeridianLeviathan. It's finally happening.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

DonDoodles posted:

You KNOW your thread sucks when those dnealts start posting. Actually, this thread really doesn't need any further comment from us; all the spergs are coming out of the wordwoork to vent about their views on canon uniforms and bikinis on ESD. Leave it to stoleviathan to start all of the worst threads in ever.

This seems more accurate

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Nerds who made me buy three more STO t-shirts and postcard sets: check your in-game mail.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

LeviathanGunship posted:

Done.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Would someone be able to write-up a ground guide for the wiki? We were talking in channel the other night and apparently all that was good is now bad (KHG pulse wave grenade launcher, turret fields, etc). I know we have a ground macro guide but actual boff/doff composition and ability recommendations remains a mystery.

I've just been rolling with 2 engineers, the jem hadar tac, and a sci for heals. My engineers are for turret spam and I just load up on damage buffs and one-hit KO everything except bosses with my KHG pulse wave nade then drop kick whoever's not dead, but apparently there are better ways to do things. Also I was told people actually do ground PvP now so I'm interested to see what is considered good for that.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I am still completely dumb but someone in dental set me up with the following as an engineer and it seems to work pretty well:

- Fuse Armor
- Chroniton Mines
- Temporal Bomb
- A nice shotgun
or whatever

doing all four of these in order to a group of anything melts a lot of it pretty quickly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unless things have changed from S8 (and I do recall some talk of nerfing the gun...), the recipe for ground gear is basically EVERYONE GETS A DYSON GROUND SET! YOU GET A DYSON GROUND SET, YOU GET A DYSON GROUND SET, EVERYONE GETS A DYSON GROUND SET!

It helps that the Dyson battlezone shits marks. Of course, the Dyson battlezone is ground in and of itself so you may want some advice for whilst you're earning those marks...

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 12, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Turret spam is still perfectly viable, especially in the Voth battlezone. Stick a med gen in there somewhere, first slot shield heal, then turrets and mortars. Park then somewhere and pick then up if they eat some boss mortars and you have a decent team to hold against waves.

Of course you can also just load up on tacs with lunge, grenades and shotguns, that's probably the fastest way to get poo poo done.

Omega set works okay for tacs too if you have it around, MACO or anything with a split beam/sniper rifle for the engis and of course you yourself want to load up on hypos and pack a shotgun yourself.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
For Borg poo poo, if you're an engineer, bring Weapons Malfunction. Use it on anything with Tactical in it's name.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Morglon posted:

Turret spam is still perfectly viable, especially in the Voth battlezone. Stick a med gen in there somewhere, first slot shield heal, then turrets and mortars. Park then somewhere and pick then up if they eat some boss mortars and you have a decent team to hold against waves.

Of course you can also just load up on tacs with lunge, grenades and shotguns, that's probably the fastest way to get poo poo done.

Omega set works okay for tacs too if you have it around, MACO or anything with a split beam/sniper rifle for the engis and of course you yourself want to load up on hypos and pack a shotgun yourself.

Note re: turret spam...unless the kit changes broke or changed something I missed, you'll also want some lf the doffs that proc multi-turret. There's also a purple jem'hadae dude (Etak'kas, IIRC) who gives your heal turrets a chance to spawn a shield turret alongside.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Trebuchet King posted:

Note re: turret spam...unless the kit changes broke or changed something I missed, you'll also want some lf the doffs that proc multi-turret. There's also a purple jem'hadae dude (Etak'kas, IIRC) who gives your heal turrets a chance to spawn a shield turret alongside.

And the other way around. But he's expensive and you generally have shield healing covered with the ensign slot that can fit nothing else of use. Still if you have the money I'd recommend getting one of them.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ok I thought I missed something. I was getting dogpiled in chat about how turrets were terrible and the KHG grenade launcher was also terrible, even though those were both recommended previously. I was wondering if there was a change that turned it all on its head.

A ground guide still wouldn't be a bad idea for the wiki, especially since they're pushing ground more and tweaking it to make it not poo poo. Assuming we actually have a consensus on ground and an "expert" who felt comfortable enough to write it up, that is.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Could I have access to the wiki? I signed in under radisic.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Too many things in the Voth battlezone specifically target turrets/stations. Better to leave the Engineers at home and grab some tacs.

For most ground stuff, you'll want two guys with split beam rifles to exploit damage. Two guys with miniguns/shotguns to expose damage. Always have a dedicated healer boff. I like giving my healer a ranged weapon so they stay father back while my other guys rush in, lunging, kicking, and grenade everything in sight.

For non-voth battlezone, engineers are fine but turret forests aren't as effective as before because you should be running through groups and killing enemies faster than your guys can drop the turrets. Turret groups were used in the past when ground combat was basically minute long fights that you'd alt+netflix until the sound of pew pew stopped and you would then move to the next group. Now it's much faster paced.

I should probably write up something more formal but that's the basics of ground today.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Morglon posted:

And the other way around. But he's expensive and you generally have shield healing covered with the ensign slot that can fit nothing else of use. Still if you have the money I'd recommend getting one of them.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was vice-versa, so I didn't want to say--thanks for the confirmation! And yes, at this point in the game's lifespan I'd say turret orgy is a playstyle I'd avoid unless you're going to sink all the money you need to into it...it's cool, fun, and hella neat, but it underperforms enough, relatively speaking, that I can't endorse it as earnestly as I once could. That said, it is what I roll with on my main guy. At least, when the wifi's good enough...

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Why the gently caress am I updating this you fucks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I run full turret fortress on one guy, since my internet occasionally gets terrible for a few hours. Turret forts don't care about lag.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The grenade on the KHG rifle isn't terrible, but iirc it has a really long reload compared to most secondaries. It does knock Borg down, which is nice.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I mainly run the turret thing so I can gently caress off to the other side of the objective that's being taken without having to worry about my team. Yeah there are mortars that will destroy your fort but only the ones the minibosses use, the rest barely does any damage. Even if your fort gets destroyed you can poo poo out a new one in literally five seconds and as I said, when they're coming to you it still holds up fine and is easier to control and manage than some idiots charging around everywhere. Of course either will do fine but turret forts are much slower for normal ground content.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Unless things have changed from S8 (and I do recall some talk of nerfing the gun...), the recipe for ground gear is basically EVERYONE GETS A DYSON GROUND SET! YOU GET A DYSON GROUND SET, YOU GET A DYSON GROUND SET, EVERYONE GETS A DYSON GROUND SET!

It helps that the Dyson battlezone shits marks. Of course, the Dyson battlezone is ground in and of itself so you may want some advice for whilst you're earning those marks...

Run up to the teleporters and capture them, then solo the Omega generators in the section you're assigned for the daily. After that you just dump your tokens into reinforcements and take any target of opportunity you can while waiting for the V-Rex to spawn. Easy enough even with crap gear.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Morglon posted:

I mainly run the turret thing so I can gently caress off to the other side of the objective that's being taken without having to worry about my team. Yeah there are mortars that will destroy your fort but only the ones the minibosses use, the rest barely does any damage. Even if your fort gets destroyed you can poo poo out a new one in literally five seconds and as I said, when they're coming to you it still holds up fine and is easier to control and manage than some idiots charging around everywhere. Of course either will do fine but turret forts are much slower for normal ground content.

Mortars ignore line of sight so you can drop them safely behind a wall somewhere and have them support you all over the map. Especially with the bonus mortar doff, a good volley can easily wipe out the heaviest ground units. That said, phaser turrets are fragile as gently caress and I'd say their usefulness is dubious considering their low damage vs survivability. I still use them on my engy, but if we're talking boffs I'd rather have a tac tearing poo poo up instead.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It'd be cool if, now that kits have been revamped, they added modules or w/e they're called for turrets of every damage type.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It'd be nice, I guess, but I'm not convinced they can. Remember the thing with the Romulans early on, where they were calling Phaser or Disruptor turrets based on chosen faction at first?

You press the button for a turret, that skill is looking at you and saying 'OK, you're Fed, have a Phaser turret' 'You're KDF, have Disruptor turrets' 'You're Romulan, have Plasma'.

Has the skill changed enough that it isn't doing that now?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Pro science officer ground tactics coming at ya':

Electro-Gravitic field -> Thermo Induction Field -> Hyperonic Radiation -> Tricorder Scan -> Shoot the cyber dino until it dies.

If it's a group apply everything up to Hyperonic Radiation to whatever is biggest/has a shield then kill all his friends before applying tricorder scan and murdering him. If something gets close hammer Sonic Pulse, or even just run into the thick of things spamming sonic pulse since it's actually pretty good. Use the free vorta biochemist you get from the DS9 episodes and any of the skills used here will also apply a -10 all resists debuff that will last for a full minute, by which time your skills will cool down and can apply it again making it effectively permanent. If you want to get fancy you can also slot a purple geologist who can proc a faster cooldown on TIF and HR, slot a purple voth explosives expert so the TIF shoots fireballs on top of everything else and use a fluidic science kit for another 30 or so psi damage.

If you're really fancy you can remember to apply things like nanoprobe infestation or dampening field but lord knows I rarely do.

I'm still using an old MK X purple physicist kit and the above is enough to steamroll the voth battlezone and undine infiltrator, on the new kits you can get all this plus a medical tricorder or triage and some skill bonuses. Point is space wizarding is best ground, medic play is for PVP and pubbies too bad at the game to kill things quickly.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of kit modules, has anyone actually seen purple MK XII variants of anything that aren't the reputation unlocks? I know they're supposed to be ground drops, but looking at stuff like Thermo Induction or Quantum Mortars it seems the only Mk XII drops are either white or green.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Can I please get wiki access?
Wiki name is reasonerr

Also need a channel invite please, in-game name is:
Four of Twenty@iconchrono
I think? Still not sure quite how the names work in this game, but that should be correct.

I still pretty much have no clue what's going on, but I'm finding ways to make it fun so far. I can definitely say it feels alot less buggy and looks a little better than I remember last time I tried it years and years ago, so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Guess what time it is? Episode Replay and Lobi time! starting on Friday.

Also the best ground tactic is still applying a Tegolar to the enemy's face.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
My thread on the forums is making waves: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1115131

mad pubbie posted:

looks like a troll thread based on op responses so far.

being nice is fine and frankly nothing wrong with that, but having nothing but a bunch of yes men especially when things needs fixing elsewhere. do you realize the best way to bring up quality of life is by stating issues to be fixed there by eliminating the issue so others can then enjoy it?

attempt to edit my quote out of context to fit your purpose ironically is a good way of killing a good mood.

you have a nice day now.

pwecaptainsmirk posted:

Thanks again NaBreeki! And all who have braved the forum wilderness to come to this thread and stay positive

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

They hate us when we're "trolling" and they hate us when we're nice :smith:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The players of STO are such petulant children. This is pretty much the easiest, inexpensive, and most accessible MMO on the market, but it's still not good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Marshal Radisic posted:

Could I have access to the wiki? I signed in under radisic.

Reasonerr posted:

Can I please get wiki access?
Wiki name is reasonerr

Also need a channel invite please, in-game name is:
Four of Twenty@iconchrono
I think? Still not sure quite how the names work in this game, but that should be correct.

I still pretty much have no clue what's going on, but I'm finding ways to make it fun so far. I can definitely say it feels alot less buggy and looks a little better than I remember last time I tried it years and years ago, so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

You're both invited.

• Locked thread