Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I wouldn't call an A split elaborate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's not but it if your team are all mongoloids who don't smoke mid and get peeked or two guys die to a P90 on short you might as well just stick together.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Half of my solo mm games all of sudden start with winning CT side on D2 and then losing horribly as Ts cause my team insists on elaborate attack plans such as splitting A or faking B and other such dumb tricks instead of just sticking together and hitting hard on our site of choice.

On a 2nd round eco as T your primary focus should be on getting the bomb down at all costs. Typically the most effective way of doing this is rushing wherever the other team is most weak, but like all other things in CS this is still situational. If the other team is known to be bloodthirsty/impatient a good strat could be to hang back and wait for easy picks as they push you, then use their dropped weapons to rush a site.

quote:

By the way, some people seem way too attached to the economy of not buying rifles until the fourth round, on a pub mm I'm really not sure if it's that advantageous to go 3 full eco rounds which you're likely to lose if you can buy a rifle on the 3rd round and then still have a good chance of affording a weapon on the 4th round even if your team loses.

'A good chance' isn't really good enough when you're going up against a team with a full buy when your team is saving, especially when the consequences of your gamble falling through is losing yet *another* round because now YOU can't buy on round 4 when everyone else can.

The name of the economy game is getting the entire team up to peak shape at the same time. The 'save for two rounds' strategy is really common for a reason.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If it's a tight match where everyone knows their poo poo then sure playing 'by the book' makes sense but at Gold Nova IV half the time you get guys with 5 kills at the beginning of the second half who aren't contributing anything to their team and stuff like that so seriously I cannot see how being short one rifle on the 4th round is likely to cost you the round, being short one rifle on the 4th round is as likely to lose you the round as having an extra rifle on the 3rd round is likely to win the third one, not to mention that on the Nova level in MM people on the winning team will often just buy the most expensive guns they can afford on the 2nd round after winning the pistol round and all that junk so the economy really isn't that strict and it's basically a poo poo show.

I know this is dumb but yeah, when my team is junk and I know that the other team already has M4s I might be tempted to buy that SG and hope that I can get a few kills, which could tilt the round in our favor if my teammates grab the guns.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

You gotta stop solo queuing.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah if you're on a junk team all strategies are out the window I think that's sort of self-evident. You were making it sound like they were trying to keep to an economy despite being garbage in other areas.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So what's a level where you actually need to be able to aim? I don't feel like my play has improved that much from the silver days, but somehow I'm now a Master Guardian and do get a decent amount of kills per game (29, 27, 39, 24, 21 in my last 5 games).

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

I don't MM but it seems people hit a wall at DMG, to get over that you've gotta have decent gamesense + aim.

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Smol posted:

So what's a level where you actually need to be able to aim? I don't feel like my play has improved that much from the silver days, but somehow I'm now a Master Guardian and do get a decent amount of kills per game (29, 27, 39, 24, 21 in my last 5 games).

DMG (and maybe higher MGE) is generally where people with real aiming skills will totally wreck those without. I can do fine against people up to MGE, but once I start seeing badges I start to get one-tapped way more frequently.

Source: I'm an MG1/MG2 and my aim is loving awful.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mcvey posted:

I don't MM but it seems people hit a wall at DMG, to get over that you've gotta have decent gamesense + aim.

It's quite possible if you stop playing regularly on goonmans, to be honest. You get sloppy and lazy when you play there too much.

A lot of people simply don't really care about truly progressing their rank or skill, and just play. That's alright.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 12, 2014

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I hate solo queuing so much. When I goonman or matchmake with other goons I have no problem top fragging or at least keeping up with DMG teams. A week's worth of solo queuing has knocked me down to Nova III and I can't seem to get out of it because my teammates do only wrong things: switching spots without saying anything, constant poo poo-buying with saving, NOT CHECKING TOXIC, lack of mic and or English, you name it.

Every time I press the find a match button I've somehow convinced myself that this is going to be the game where I get a good team, but it never happens. I admit I'm not the best shot and often panic and choke in clutch scenarios, but I think having a supportive team does a lot to remedy these things (you know, vibes or whatever).

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Xenaero posted:

It's quite possible if you stop playing regularly on goonmans, to be honest. You get sloppy and lazy when you play there too much.
I think I'd rather stop playing tbh.

Misc posted:

When I goonman or matchmake with other goons I have no problem top fragging or at least keeping up with DMG teams.
You're Misc in game, right?

mcvey fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 12, 2014

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
i've basically only solo queued since launch and stay at LEM so just play better.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Solo queuing (which I've mostly been doing since silver 3) seems to be pretty okay at MG level. I mean, you don't see any real strats but at least people can rush a site together with decent nades and poo poo or even do some split pushes if you want to get fancy. Probably the hardest thing at this level is trading kills and reacting to aggressive CTs - it's so rare to see that so people don't seem to know what to do in that situation.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Xenaero posted:

But the goonman server destroys me whenever I play there, are you saying they're not at the top of their game / not good at this game :psyduck:

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

mcvey posted:

You're Misc in game, right?

Yeah; maybe "no problem" isn't the most accurate way of putting my performance but I always do at least okay. It's always really jarring to try to solo queue against people who are clearly worse than those I likely just played against in a goonman. I'm not trying to throw the blame away from my skill, but when I last mm'd with you guys xp kept joking that I still wasn't ranking up from nova 3 despite doing well against players ranked way higher than me.

Nitr0 posted:

i've basically only solo queued since launch and stay at LEM so just play better.

If you're at LEM, I feel like the teams you're more likely to queue into will have their poo poo together. The MG levels are much more inconsistent. Not saying I can keep up with Legendary Eagle by any means, I know the limits of my skill.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

pandaK posted:

But the goonman server destroys me whenever I play there, are you saying they're not at the top of their game / not good at this game :psyduck:

Generally no, I'm a DMG and not particularly good.

And I run that poo poo, too, which probably makes it worse. :(

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

There are maybe 10 people in the world that are good at CS and 9 of them are from Europe. Everyone else is just varying levels of bad.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Nitr0 posted:

This is very true and the only thing that needs to be said about this topic.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Gristley Bear posted:

This is very true and the only thing that needs to be said about this topic.

You had the privilege of playing a decade of CS before GO came out, you never started from the bottom. Imagine being a brand new player that's gotta start in such low levels and fight their way out. You probably started at DMG.

You saying "oh it was easy np" isn't the norm for 50%+ of the player base.

If this is your first CS and you're actually good I gotta give you mad props, lots of us have been playing for 10+ years and are still pretty poo poo.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 12, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
started from the bottom now we MG2

started from the bottom now my whole team MG2

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I started playing in March and I'm now a MG2 with about 35 MM wins under my belt. Let's see how high I can go until I hit a wall. Probably not much higher.

Edit: what time do you guys usually start the goonmans? I might give it a go if it's not too late, even though my EU ping will probably suck balls.

Smol fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 12, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's not but it if your team are all mongoloids who don't smoke mid and get peeked or two guys die to a P90 on short you might as well just stick together.

Smoke mid everyday.

Misc posted:

my teammates do only wrong things: switching spots without saying anything, constant poo poo-buying with saving, NOT CHECKING TOXIC, lack of mic and or English, you name it.

Always check toxic.

My alt account steam names do offer good, real-world advice.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Always check toxic.

Umm, please don't. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQNgwtBM-cQ

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Always check toxic.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Thanks, csgolounge. :smug:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Now we see if xen knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

Now we see if xen knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

I cashed out! I told em, I says I won't go back to the Lounge, I left it behind me! I told em, I did.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I find it incredibly annoying and ineffective when the entire team does the same thing on D2. Quick B rushes used to be the exception, but I'm now even starting to think they're pretty useless too. Even if your team sucks (actually, ESPECIALLY if your team sucks) everyone going the same way is just going to lead to stupid things happening like everyone getting in each others way and lining up to get shot in the head, someone standing in and blocking long doors, getting AWPed one by one coming up short, etc. Splitting A is really pretty simple and is probably the single most effective D2 strategy that even idiots can manage to run. If you're on a team with mongoloids just tell them to go long while you take short. Splitting B/mid is getting more common, but is harder to pull off.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

real dilemma posted:

I find it incredibly annoying and ineffective when the entire team does the same thing on D2. Quick B rushes used to be the exception, but I'm now even starting to think they're pretty useless too. Even if your team sucks (actually, ESPECIALLY if your team sucks) everyone going the same way is just going to lead to stupid things happening like everyone getting in each others way and lining up to get shot in the head, someone standing in and blocking long doors, getting AWPed one by one coming up short, etc. Splitting A is really pretty simple and is probably the single most effective D2 strategy that even idiots can manage to run. If you're on a team with mongoloids just tell them to go long while you take short. Splitting B/mid is getting more common, but is harder to pull off.
Everyone full rushing an area can be bad, yeah, but if your team aren't familiar with how to "play a role" in a T side strat, running more complex things can be even more brutal. If players on your team aren't able to properly hold a team mates flank, you're just going to get picked off one by one by one. Beginners and "lower skilled" players are going to have more luck straight rushing (or at best splitting) a site because it mostly guarntees that no one gets a 1v1 fight, and instead you overwhelm the CTs with sheer number.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Entire team doing the same thing is VP's entire dust2 strat

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Coleman posted:

Everyone full rushing an area can be bad, yeah, but if your team aren't familiar with how to "play a role" in a T side strat, running more complex things can be even more brutal. If players on your team aren't able to properly hold a team mates flank, you're just going to get picked off one by one by one. Beginners and "lower skilled" players are going to have more luck straight rushing (or at best splitting) a site because it mostly guarntees that no one gets a 1v1 fight, and instead you overwhelm the CTs with sheer number.

I agree, I just think that especially on D2 "split rushing" may end up working out a bit better given that you all have to come through long doors or out short anyway, so it might as well just be 3 of you with the other 2 coming from the other direction to at least have a chance (especially if bad CTs are playing passively from A site, as bad CTs tend to do)

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
how to play pug/mm style dust2 and love life:

if spawned towards b- run into tunnels, flash lower because someone probably rushed it and nobody told you, go lower and watch for a fast cat push. move to left of mid doors, if any teammates near top mid, wait until the CT playing mid notices them and is probably aiming at them, peek and kill mid guy, smoke ct, hit b.

it's seriously so easy to kill the mid player the majority of the time, just wait for them to take a pot shot at somebody in mid

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

if spawned towards b- run into tunnels, flash lower because someone probably rushed it and nobody told you, go lower and watch for a fast cat push. move to left of mid doors, if any teammates near top mid, wait until the CT playing mid notices them and is probably aiming at them, peek and kill mid guy, smoke ct, hit b.

it's seriously so easy to kill the mid player the majority of the time, just wait for them to take a pot shot at somebody in mid

Hah, this is exactly my strategy for my terribad Sawed-Off + P250 buys, down to a tee. Just replace "if spawned towards b" with "any time either team has a 5+ round advantage".

I might have to try it with a rifle if it's actually a remotely legit strategy; I just hate taking on the mid player (who is almost always holding an AWP or SCAR) with a gun that doesn't let me strafe.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

This is me, except:

Buy Nova
Rush B
Smoke the middle of B site
Kill guy running for box
:csgo: maybe there's no one else?
No: Plant
Yes: Try to kill them, yell at teammates

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Anyone else having trouble with competitive mode? I keep getting DC'ed and getting banned from the game. I finally fixed the router, played for like 10mins, and a bot ran through a firebomb and killed itself, now im banned for 7 days. I tried talking on the forums and they just locked the thread and banned me from posting. Glad to see they care lol

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hackers make this game so unfun. :(

Like when an entire team just happens to know just where your team is at all times, every round, for 16 rounds, against text-spamming assholes with no ranks and private profiles. Absolutely loving retarded.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 13, 2014

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
Do goons actually still have pugs? Can't join the chat currently at work :(

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah you got a 7 day ban for a bot running into your firebomb and your router was crashing. I'm positive that's what happened and that's the whole story.

How prevalent is hacking anyway? I'm a terrible DMG so I don't feel like I see it that often but people seem to complain about it a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah you got a 7 day ban for a bot running into your firebomb and your router was crashing. I'm positive that's what happened and that's the whole story.

How prevalent is hacking anyway? I'm a terrible DMG so I don't feel like I see it that often but people seem to complain about it a lot?

Good amount of hackers after LEM

• Locked thread