Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not as good as outlook.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

hey (out)look at this leaked gmail 4.0 screen

we looked at this on page 16, it is still ugly on page 17

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

we looked at this on page 16, it is still ugly on page 17

and now here it is again on page 18

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

not as good as outlook.com

rip

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the reason you had never knew about its greatness is that the interface is terrible

• it is only distributed as a browser plugin

• google+ is mandatory

• scheduling a meeting is also through g+, and it doesnt give you a calendar file or anything to load into outlook

• the web interface to set up a hangout is confusing as gently caress

goog makes you wade through a sewer to eat in a world class restaurant
all this pretty much ensures that only people in the lovely tech industry will ever see it. every other industry will keep on using awful lync/sametime, and normal humans will continue using all the other terrible IM clients

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we're piloting zoom at work and it's p bad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cygni posted:

all this pretty much ensures that only people in the lovely tech industry will ever see it. every other industry will keep on using awful lync/sametime, and normal humans will continue using all the other terrible IM clients

it's almost like people who develop software shouldn't be the people who make UIs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

it's almost like people who develop software shouldn't be the people who make UIs

nonsense! UI design, like all other non-programming jobs, can be easily done by a a good programmer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We use lync and Cisco/webex at work and whoa is it awful

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

We use lync and Cisco/webex at work and whoa is it awful

webex owns for screenshare

and that's it

every other feature sucks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hangouts are actually really good and a lot better than:

that cisco garbage we tried
that other one I can't remember but was awful

tip: to make a hangout permanent, make an event - "daily standup" for instance - and attach a hangout to it. viola, that URL is now bookmarkable and will always exist.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
hipchat is solid

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

threefive posted:

hipchat is solid

just use irc imo

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

just use irc imo

hipchat does screen sharing and video chat now. 40% of the team was remote at last job and that helped a lot

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
can't wait until the day google decides to shoehorn g+ into search.

"Your friend fishmech searched for hardcore fish hentai (31 seconds ago)"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
click here for shopping link

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

i have a friend who ui work and it's always a battle to get people to actually fix poo poo regardless of how much data and a/b testing she throws at them because the software guys are always "well why don't we try this new thing‽"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

and if you click through things you can actually see what features were intended to be there when the ui was first conceived and which ones were bolted on later when some poor fucker was asked to drop what he was doing and add a neat gizmo

it's a seriously unenviable job that's hard to do well even if you are allowed to infringe on the patent for a button that does a thing when you click it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

threefive posted:

hipchat does screen sharing and video chat now. 40% of the team was remote at last job and that helped a lot

it doesn't do the teleconference-style video chat hangouts has

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

tip: to make a hangout permanent, make an event - "daily standup" for instance - and attach a hangout to it. viola, that URL is now bookmarkable and will always exist.

i have found sometimes it will re-invite everyone from the original booking if i try to re-use one of these persistent URLs

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

oh come now its more often than that

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.

Wild EEPROM posted:

can't wait until the day google decides to shoehorn g+ into search.

No kidding, I was just checking my inbox and a pop-up asked me to create a Google+ profile or 'remind me later' or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it doesn't do the teleconference-style video chat hangouts has

free thing? no way is that any good, we need to purchase a $150,000 telepresence system from cisco

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

free thing? no way is that any good, we need to purchase a $150,000 telepresence system from cisco

unironically this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

we have one of those and it's lame

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Zombie Chow posted:

No kidding, I was just checking my inbox and a pop-up asked me to create a Google+ profile or 'remind me later' or something.

are there people using gmail who don't have g+? i thought everyone just signed up for google+ and proceeded to ignore it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tractor fanatic posted:

are there people using gmail who don't have g+? i thought everyone just signed up for google+ and proceeded to ignore it

"excuse me you see signing up for g+ will hurt my freedoms therefore i will resist it forever"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i actually looked it up and apparently the giant monstrosity one is $300k list?

rofl

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
g+ is fine. it doesnt bother me. i use a pseudonym on youtube and my phone auto uploads to g+. i go there to check my pics and it never nags or bothers me. i never understood the insane resistance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_

then just send the link to the room you're in to whoever, or use the in hangout invite. done.

we're also close to removing the plugin requirement.

hey rotor did you ever look in to http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/solutions/for-meetings.html ? it integrates really well if your business already uses google calendar.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_

then just send the link to the room you're in to whoever, or use the in hangout invite. done.

we're also close to removing the plugin requirement.

hey rotor did you ever look in to http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/solutions/for-meetings.html ? it integrates really well if your business already uses google calendar.

hold on, you're actually on the g+ team?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sudo Echo posted:

hold on, you're actually on the g+ team?

ya hangouts. it's been a fun few weeks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

government.txt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what does the $250 annual fee actually cover.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

has anyone raised their hand in a meeting and pointed out that 'hangouts' is a horrid name

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

or do you guys all just laugh about it and shrug like most workplaces

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
'google talk' was a better name

and a better client

makes you think

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

fuzzy mammal u can redeem ur self if u make sure hangouts remains a pos. all u have to do is make sure it stays the way it is now and doesnt become an imessage clone

if anyone on the team offers the idea up u shjould tell them its dumb and then secretly submit their résumé to a headhunter

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Granbar posted:

'google talk' was a better name

and a better client

makes you think

i still use the google talk client on my pc hehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

fuzzy mammal u can redeem ur self if u make sure hangouts remains a pos. all u have to do is make sure it stays the way it is now and doesnt become an imessage clone

if anyone on the team offers the idea up u shjould tell them its dumb and then secretly submit their résumé to a headhunter

lol that you think imessage is in any way good

• Locked thread