Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want to watch some films with crazy costumes after watching Eurovision last night. I got a real Fifth Element vibe from the presenters and some of the acts. So, either S/F films where the designers have gone wild, or anything else where the clothing is unusual or significant in conveying the atmosphere of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Chas McGill posted:

I want to watch some films with crazy costumes after watching Eurovision last night. I got a real Fifth Element vibe from the presenters and some of the acts. So, either S/F films where the designers have gone wild, or anything else where the clothing is unusual or significant in conveying the atmosphere of the film.

The scenes in the Capitol in the Hunger Games movies are actually pretty good for that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Post-apocalyptic films in general seem to deliver on that front. The entire Mad Max trilogy thrives on its unique character designs.

Or if you're looking for something different, check out Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just watched Kill List and would really love some similar recommendations. Not specifically a horror, just a movie that's very subtle, mysterious and open for personal interpretation

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Skilleddk posted:

I just watched Kill List and would really love some similar recommendations. Not specifically a horror, just a movie that's very subtle, mysterious and open for personal interpretation
Last Year at Marienbad, El ángel exterminador, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Rashomon, The Limits of Control, Synecdoche, New York. Although I haven't seen Kill List so I might not have gotten the right idea about what you are looking for.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I watched Under the Skin yesterday. Can anyone recommend me any similar movies?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

UnknownMercenary posted:

I thought it was pretty bad but can make recommendations based on what about it you liked. Was it more the secret alien horror aspect, the "trying to understand this whole humanity thing" aspect, or the slow but introspective tone?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Phase IV.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Coffee And Pie posted:

The scenes in the Capitol in the Hunger Games movies are actually pretty good for that.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Post-apocalyptic films in general seem to deliver on that front. The entire Mad Max trilogy thrives on its unique character designs.

Or if you're looking for something different, check out Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

Thanks, I've seen all of those films and they're good suggestions.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

regulargonzalez posted:

I thought it was pretty bad but can make recommendations based on what about it you liked. Was it more the secret alien horror aspect, the "trying to understand this whole humanity thing" aspect, or the slow but introspective tone?

I liked all those parts of it but mainly the last one.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

UnknownMercenary posted:

I liked all those parts of it but mainly the last one.

2001, Solaris, and David Cronenberg in general. Also maybe Take Shelter, Splice, Martha Marcy May Marlene, and some of the darker, stranger Jim Jarmusch stuff like Dead Man or Only Lovers Left Alive, or perhaps even Herzog along the lines of Aguirre. I guess I'm thinking more dark, introspective outsider-perspective journeys with similar themes, so I apologise if you're looking for more directly comparable films.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

A lot of Tim Burton's movies (Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc), have a lot of interesting/goofy character design, if not specifically clothing (though sometimes).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Recommend me films that you want to recommend me. They don't necessarily have to be your favourite films, they don't even have to be good. The kind of film you're dying to recommend, that's what I want to watch.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

R. Mute posted:

Recommend me films that you want to recommend me. They don't necessarily have to be your favourite films, they don't even have to be good. The kind of film you're dying to recommend, that's what I want to watch.

Drug War
The Stuff
Haywire
The Adventures of TinTin
10 To Midnight
Near Dark
Paths of Glory
Strangers on a Train
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
Hoop Dreams
Killer Joe
The Legend of Drunken Master

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Seconds, The Warriors, Repo Man.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

R. Mute posted:

Ravenous
Streets of Fire
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
The East
The Brothers Bloom
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Much Ado About Nothing (2013)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just watched Wake in Fright and Sorcerer and I loved them both, I can't stop thinking about them. Any more dark, manly movies about desperate people and horrible places? Preferably in the 70s or 80s, I love how the movies seemed so dangerous back then, like people on the set could be killed and stuff.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

R. Mute posted:

Maniac (2012)

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Fonzarelli posted:

I just watched Wake in Fright and Sorcerer and I loved them both, I can't stop thinking about them. Any more dark, manly movies about desperate people and horrible places? Preferably in the 70s or 80s, I love how the movies seemed so dangerous back then, like people on the set could be killed and stuff.

R. Mute posted:

Cutthroat's Nine, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Come and See, Long Weekend, Profound Desire of the Gods, Rituals, Treasure of the Tayopa,

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

R. Mute posted:

I would really like to not be the only person who has seen Gridlock'd.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Could you elaborate on that a little?

Do you guys have any recs for someone who just watched 'White Heat' and loved it? I'd never seen a James Cagney movie before and he was awesome to watch.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Well, if you're in love with Cagney, One, Two, Three is tremendous fun. See also Other Men's Women, The Strawberry Blonde, Mister Roberts, and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

CD recommend me some good, preferably American, road movies.

Bonus points for:
Big panoramic landscape shots (like No Country For Old Men)
Country soundtrack (Paris Texas)
Slow pacing

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Ewar Woowar posted:

Bonus points for:
Slow pacing

Into the Wild
The Motorcycle Diaries
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Hehe)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Badlands is a good one.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Bonus points for:
Slow pacing

Wanda, Last Chants for a Slow Dance, Slow Moves, 11x14, One Way Boogie Woogie, The United States of America, Zabriske Point, Death Race 2000, Candy Mountain, Roadside Prophets, Highway 61, Roadkill (Canada), and maybe Route One: USA, but that's a lot more interior that exterior (which i guess most of these suggestions are really).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would really like to not be the only person who has seen Gridlock'd.
Congratulations! We're now a duo.

Thanks for the rest of the suggestions, guys. I'll try to watch 'em all. I already got Drug War and The Warriors off the list. I'd seen Come and See, Killer Joe, Repo Man and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - which were all great, by the way.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Ewar Woowar posted:

Bonus points for:
Slow pacing

Scarecrow starring Al Pacino and Gene Hackman.

And I second Badlands.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Bonus points for:
Slow pacing

Easy Rider, Vanishing Point, The Wizard

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I enjoyed the hell out of Abrams' Star Trek movies. Should I give the other ST films a go or not even bother?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yaws posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of Abrams' Star Trek movies. Should I give the other ST films a go or not even bother?

Have you watched any other Star Trek at all? The movies are a mixed bag and even the "good" ones tend to assume familiarity with whichever incarnation of the TV show was running at the time.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Have you watched any other Star Trek at all? The movies are a mixed bag and even the "good" ones tend to assume familiarity with whichever incarnation of the TV show was running at the time.

Nope. No other Star Trek whatsoever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yaws posted:

Nope. No other Star Trek whatsoever.

Okay. Abram's Trek is mostly a reimagining of the original series, which goes along with the first six movies, so if you start there you'll at least recognize some of the characters. None of this is a promise of actual quality (I haven't seen the Trek movies since I was about eight years old) but if you like hammy, optimistic science fiction the franchise probably has something you'll enjoy.

Also, by far the best Trek movie is Galaxy Quest, but it's all in-jokes so don't watch it right away.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

Barbarella is pretty wild. Zardoz. Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn.

Or you could go the other direction in time and watch Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WjsqVwWyrI

And many Terry Gilliam movies blend the past with some sort of scifi/fantasy and have crazy costumes, such as The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 18, 2014

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm looking for fairly recent (2000 or later) horror movies with lots of gore, similar to the Laid to Rest and Wrong Turn series. Any recommendations?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What are some good anthology movies? Ideally where all of the segments are quite strong. I've seen both V/H/S's, Four Rooms, New York Stories. I suppose the Decalogue also counts.

Films that aren't strictly anthologies but do go from storyline to storyline are fine too -- Slackers and Waking Life, for example.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So yesterday I rewatched Ip Man I and II and I loved the blatant culture differences that are shown in both movies. I have a kind of a handicap when it comes to getting visual cues, but in these movies it's so.. There. The division in the boxing ring, the different outfits, I loved "noticing" all that. Any more movies about culture differences in a colony or something that's as blatantly obvious as this? I don't have any preferences about the country, although the Hong Kong example is perfect.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Films that aren't strictly anthologies but do go from storyline to storyline are fine too -- Slackers and Waking Life, for example.

Go, perhaps?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

...! posted:

I'm looking for fairly recent (2000 or later) horror movies with lots of gore, similar to the Laid to Rest and Wrong Turn series. Any recommendations?

The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead remakes are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

What are some good anthology movies? Ideally where all of the segments are quite strong. I've seen both V/H/S's, Four Rooms, New York Stories. I suppose the Decalogue also counts.

Assuming you're interested in horror anthologies, I can give you a hand. Have you seen Dead of Night (1945) or Kwaidan (1964)?

• Locked thread