Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought Mount Panorama in iRacing today and have been test driving on that. This is the best version of that track in any racing sim to date in my opinion. The Project Cars one is okay in comparison, it looks better then the iRacing version though, but this one is more accurate on certain corners. iRacing is still my favorite sim. I love the improvements that have been made since I last played (over 1 1/2 years ago!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

r14 was a series of tires in testing by pcars. the -n subtype is what Nicolas Hamilton and Ben Collins said was the best/most realistic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've updated PCARS and it drops to desktop whenever I try a free practise. :|

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've updated PCARS and it drops to desktop whenever I try a free practise. :|

Go to the CARS folder in your windows documents. Go to the profiles folder and delete default.sav. Every once in a while you have to delete your settings file and apparently they don't know how to do this for the steam version. You will have to retype in your account info and redo all your controls.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I really hope we get some inbuilt leaderboards in Assetto Corsa and I'm a bit surprised they're not there yet, the RSR site is great but obviously not everyone is using it, 38 drivers online currently.

Just looking at the Dream Pack DLC. I'll drop a few quid for the Nurburgring happily. I realise that this always ends with the same few things mentioned over and over, but I would love to see Donington Park and Brands Hatch in as tracks and the Audi R8 (the LMP one), Mercedes CLK and Jaguar XJ220 in as cars. Also I always want to see a lovely car or two in there. Something like a Volvo 700, an old Beetle or a Austin Metro. I realise that this isn't Gran Turismo and will never happen, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Go to the CARS folder in your windows documents. Go to the profiles folder and delete default.sav. Every once in a while you have to delete your settings file and apparently they don't know how to do this for the steam version. You will have to retype in your account info and redo all your controls.
I delete the profile every update. Turned out to be a DX11 problem. DX11 in PCARS never worked properly for me, possibly because I have a dual monitor setup.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I delete the profile every update. Turned out to be a DX11 problem. DX11 in PCARS never worked properly for me, possibly because I have a dual monitor setup.

Oh yeah, that too. I had to remove dx11 from the launch options.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Made a video of doing a lap at the ring in a Formula C in Pcars. I'm not that great a driver and my lap time was pretty lousy but figured someone might care. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYTSRPzEJU

Edit: Any stuttering was a problem with the recording I didn't have any in game.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 12, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Made a video of doing a lap at the ring in a Formula C in Pcars. I'm not that great a driver and my lap time was pretty lousy but figured someone might care. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYTSRPzEJU

Edit: Any stuttering was a problem with the recording I didn't have any in game.

Just gave this a go with the tires you mentioned, I hope whatever they've been figuring out with the tires on the Formula C can be applied to the other cars. The only problem I have is that even the Formula C is so fast I feel like I'm only driving it at like, 50% of what it's supposed to do.

I noticed they still haven't fixed the AI landmines. Although it looks pretty awesome when you blow past a landmine'd car in midair like you're playing F-Zero.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nic and Ben have been testing other cars recently and say those are also getting very dialed in. I think they finally have it figured out and just need to apply it to everything. Reading Nic and Ben's reports about their testing is very uplifting to read as far as realism goes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Oh yeah, that too. I had to remove dx11 from the launch options.
DX11 is default since a while apparently. So if you don't have -dx9 specified, you're happily using DX11. --edit: Or you have a really old graphics card. :v:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Played around with Assetto some more and finally figured out my issue with the FF (this is on my CSR) after realizing there's an FF meter in the "Pedals" UI element. Turns out the E30 Group A starts clipping somewhat seriously at 100% gain and sits comfortable at 90%, while the normal E30 sits right at 60% and beyond 70% is pretty much permanently clipping in every corner, at which point it feels like a constant strong counterforce with no further information left. In fact, those clipping thresholds seems to be consistent for all production (~70%) and race cars (~100%) I tried. So either 60% is where it should be for my wheel and the race cars are supposed to be that light, or - my guess - it's a byproduct of road vs. race tires?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Are the default setups on Assetto Corsa kind of rubbish or do I just need more practice? I'm still improving but the time trial achievement times are still a fair way off.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

Played around with Assetto some more and finally figured out my issue with the FF (this is on my CSR) after realizing there's an FF meter in the "Pedals" UI element. Turns out the E30 Group A starts clipping somewhat seriously at 100% gain and sits comfortable at 90%, while the normal E30 sits right at 60% and beyond 70% is pretty much permanently clipping in every corner, at which point it feels like a constant strong counterforce with no further information left. In fact, those clipping thresholds seems to be consistent for all production (~70%) and race cars (~100%) I tried. So either 60% is where it should be for my wheel and the race cars are supposed to be that light, or - my guess - it's a byproduct of road vs. race tires?

That's a FF meter? I was wondering what that was.

Why would they have so many cars set up to clip the force feedback level so easily by default?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CaseFace McGee posted:

That's a FF meter? I was wondering what that was.

Why would they have so many cars set up to clip the force feedback level so easily by default?

Maybe it's something on my side? I do have the latest driver and firmware though, so I wouldn't know what else it could be. You have a Standard CSR too, right? Does yours show the same behaviour?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Maybe it's something on my side? I do have the latest driver and firmware though, so I wouldn't know what else it could be. You have a Standard CSR too, right? Does yours show the same behaviour?

Same here for setup, I just didn't realize there was a FF meter - that's really useful to know. Mine clips also, but it hasn't really gotten in the way of my driving. At maximum cornering force, I can bounce off the FF clip indicator.

I'm turning my gain down a bit to see what happens. I don't want to turn it down too far, though, and lose too much sensitivity when FF is less active.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
IT LIVES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v69L12Lg0NE

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This based on isiMotor2?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

:homebrew:

Can't wait to see some footage for gravel.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Finally got a chance to try MP in AC tonight. A lot of annoyances in the interface and booking system, but the netcode seems alright, and I was able to drive joux plane with two other people for an hour. :hellyeah:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I need to ask an idiotic question: when I download a custom setup for AC, where do I put it? I can't make it show up in settings.

e: Never mind, found it in documents, not Steam.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 13, 2014

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
$3 SimBin bundle on BundleStars: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/turbo-bundle/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Looks like Nikolaev forgot some frame bolts on his car or something :v:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Uncle Jam posted:

Looks like Nikolaev forgot some frame bolts on his car or something :v:

Haha yeah the crashes in MP are pretty funny right now, sometimes when another car goes off the track partially it looks like cars get hydraulic systems, or the wheels fall off and reattach.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just in case you guys haven't been following the state of nordschleife conversions in Assetto Corsa, there's a pretty darn good one out now, here: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/wip-nordschleife-by-snoopy.9846/ (0.4.3 is the latest update)

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Assetto Corsa multiplayer is great. The only real issue is the jerking around of the people with lovely connections. I avoid them like the plague but every so often I end up being twatted off the track at 200mph and first corners just become a maelstrom of flying cars. I really hope in the next update collision is turned of for those still on 56k or downloading a dozen torrents, it's worked well in other games I've played.

Also I need a ranking system, Elo or whatever, hopefully it'll help stop those races where half the field have quit after the first lap.

I know it's an alpha so I hope to see both of these in the full release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This just made my entire week. Thank you so much.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Fanateeeeec stop :argh: http://eu.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/89/round-1-wheel-rim-for-clubsport-wheel

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

At least that rim has buttons on it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I'm glad I got the CSR Elite and not spend extra for the CSW. The Formula rim does a fantastic job, and isn't really that unrealistic for GT car seeing as those are starting to see more Formula style wheels. Also my hands never really leave 3 and 9.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That one at least looks like something I'd be willing to purchase. Not for 350 dollars, but it's better than the other poo poo they put out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Falken posted:

I'm glad I got the CSR Elite and not spend extra for the CSW. The Formula rim does a fantastic job, and isn't really that unrealistic for GT car seeing as those are starting to see more Formula style wheels. Also my hands never really leave 3 and 9.

If you don't have a circular wheel you'll never be able to properly play the worlds best driving game, Euro Truck Simulator 2. :colbert:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

If you don't have a circular wheel you'll never be able to properly play the worlds best driving game, Euro Truck Simulator 2. :colbert:

Fanatec said they weren't done with wheel announcements :ohdear:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

EvilJoven posted:

But how can you make ETS more realistic without having to murder a prostitute every time you change gear?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
You guys have heard about the Accuforce wheel coming out right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you've got a couple thousand to drop on a wheel, yeah it will be out one day.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Purchased Assetto Corsa the other day and just have to say with a G27 wheel and 3D vision this game is amazing and it's only a beta. Only problem is the Ferrari 458 Italia is so good it makes driving anything else seem boring. God the engine sounds are pure bliss.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

rFactor 2 released Indianapolis Motor Speedway today, along with the 2014 Indy car. I'm fantastically terrible with the car, but I've been having some fun with the 3 different road course layouts. I haven't tried the Speedway yet.

I have been getting good framerates also - better than Silverstone by a moderate margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I reinstalled Power & Glory after grabbing that simbin bundle, and wow it is amazing with the G27. I spent all day driving the Targa Florio; everything somehow felt wrong when I went back and tried to drive JP in Assetto.

• Locked thread