Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

a cat on an apple posted:

^ Says you aren't online, make sure you're on the Nexus server
Apparently, I was not on the right server...

SecurT is my in-game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

Link to a recap of the livestream and all the information contained.

http://wildstarreport.com/2014/05/12/wildstar-developer-livestream/

more importantly.....

So is there more than one BG atm or..?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Chua are so drat dumb and it's great.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

KittyEmpress posted:

Overall it felt really slow, and the engineer's special mechanic (volatality) may have contributed to that, since I had to get 3-4 basic shots off before I could use one of my other skills. Might try an Esper later today, or maybe a spellslinger.

Word is that Esper and Engineer are the least mobile early on - mobility seems like a lot of what makes this game click. I've had good results with Medic, Warriors look very mobile, and yeah, Spellslingers are supposed to be, too.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
I, too, would like an invite to Bad Rats.

IGN is Teralex.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Medic was probably the fastest 1-15 I've done in the game so far. Engineers seem slow compared to them but it's an optical illusion in my experience since they have a lot of steady damage.

The biggest thing you can do as an eng to speed up your leveling is actually using your bots' actives. Blitz + Barrage (bruiser + artillery bot) will absolutely chunk groups of mobs.

Then you hit 15, get the AMP that generates volatility between 30 and 70 and use augur/bio and you probably never have to use the builder again (unless there are dumb neutral things like spider eggs you have to kill that you can't generate volatility on since you're never in combat with them).

But hey, if you aren't feeling the class, then I'd just try one of the other 5 available and see if there's something more your style.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

straw man posted:

Word is that Esper and Engineer are the least mobile early on - mobility seems like a lot of what makes this game click. I've had good results with Medic, Warriors look very mobile, and yeah, Spellslingers are supposed to be, too.

Yeah I'm having tons of fun with the Medic. You get ranged, AOE, and healing within the first 10 levels and it's all recharged by a damage cone.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Oh and another thing to consider with the Engineers that I haven't noticed with other classes is you can cast a lot of their instants while channeling something: their crit proc, their bot attacks can all be cast during volatility or your builder or augur etc.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

KittyEmpress posted:

So, first hour and a half or so impression: Not all that amazing. Playing as an engineer, I got up to level 8. Everything took 5-6 hits with my basic to kill, and it took a good ~3 seconds for each basic shot to get off it felt like. Staying at range with anything that wants to be in melee is basically impossible, and circle strafing is god.

Overall it felt really slow, and the engineer's special mechanic (volatality) may have contributed to that, since I had to get 3-4 basic shots off before I could use one of my other skills. Might try an Esper later today, or maybe a spellslinger.
Yeah, you gave up just a smidge early. Within the first 15 levels I ditched that lovely first attack entirely and I was constantly bombarding poo poo with Energy Auger, Bio Shell, Unstable Anomaly, Barrage, and Quick Burst. It got to the point where I would forget I even had Electrocute til the fight was pretty much over. Make sure you're stacking Assault Power and try to pick ability points that add damage on the skills you use the most. Definitely consider putting the points on the Artillery Bot since that guy will be doing damage all the time; you can judge the other points by reading the tooltips and just try and figure out which one adds more for you. If you don't know when Quick Burst is available adding in an addon like Aura Mastery can help, though it takes some learning to set up to your taste.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 12, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Sedisp posted:

So is there more than one BG atm or..?

There's 1 that unlocks at 6, and one that unlocks at 15. Not sure if there are any more after that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

dreffen posted:

Chua are so drat dumb and it's great.

I don't understand what you mean by dumb. They basically invented all the technology in the game. You jump in an inflatable pool and not have the look of absolute joy on your face. :colbert:

And where did you get that hat? Holy poo poo, it is perfect for the character name I'm trying to get tomorrow.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
So, in that stream analysis link or whatever, it says that you decorate warplots out of combat like housing, with plugs and sockets etc

Can warplots function like a big guild house? Is it worth investing in even if you don't pvp much for a little evil lair for your raid?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

jabro posted:

I don't understand what you mean by dumb. They basically invented all the technology in the game. You jump in an inflatable pool and not have the look of absolute joy on your face. :colbert:

And where did you get that hat? Holy poo poo, it is perfect for the character name I'm trying to get tomorrow.

That hat looks like the one you get at a certain Settler level.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but I'm sincerely hoping that the story progresses to the revelation that the Chua were the Eldans all along, or some other Jak & Daxter stylized plot-twist. It would just make my day, really.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It was from the Emperor's geneseed the Chua were cloned.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
Nice, I bought 1000 ore off the CV and macroed a script for Metal Platforms for an extra 25g and no work.

Hopefully the prices get readjusted before launch.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm pretty drat on the fence over this game. I played enough of the beta to determine that I like the combat. That's enough to keep me going for a while, but I have to wonder if I'm looking at another early end-game burnout once I hit cap. Is there anything substantial going on at the endgame for people who don't necessarily get hard at the thought of BC-era WoW raiding?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm pretty drat on the fence over this game. I played enough of the beta to determine that I like the combat. That's enough to keep me going for a while, but I have to wonder if I'm looking at another early end-game burnout once I hit cap. Is there anything substantial going on at the endgame for people who don't necessarily get hard at the thought of BC-era WoW raiding?

All adventures and dungeons have Veteran modes, which are level 50 retunes with new mechanics, you have the mercenary system with Warplots, rated battlegrounds, and rated arenas.

Plus a The Sims simulator on your housing plot.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I keep on forgetting about the housing. Depending on how deep that goes, that could do it for me.

I didn't realize the instanced content had new mechanics for end-game as well. That's worth checking out at least.

Thank you Thank you.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

jabro posted:

Dumb in the best way. They're so drat awesome. The hat is from the Settler path.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Evil Sagan posted:

I keep on forgetting about the housing. Depending on how deep that goes, that could do it for me.

I didn't realize the instanced content had new mechanics for end-game as well. That's worth checking out at least.

Thank you Thank you.

The tools for housing are so great that with enough patience and creativity you could create your own house from scratch without even needing a pre-built house.

I have spent more time on Housing than anything else, and I've definitely logged upwards to forty or fifty hours already.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

The tools for housing are so great that with enough patience and creativity you could create your own house from scratch without even needing a pre-built house.

I have spent more time on Housing than anything else, and I've definitely logged upwards to forty or fifty hours already.

Right, this has prompted me to do a megapost tonight.

I have 5 structures on my property, 4 of which are scratch built by myself and KelpPlankton - The character I am currently playing in the beta has roughly 4 days played, and I am sure an entire 1 of those days is spent on my housing plot. I'll get the pics and share them asap.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Mount Desert posted:

Nice, I bought 1000 ore off the CV and macroed a script for Metal Platforms for an extra 25g and no work.

Hopefully the prices get readjusted before launch.

It's even more broken on the Apprentice tier, three titanium chunks (used to be 3 silver each on my server) craft into a 29s Silver Keg. Looks like it stops on the next tier though.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Spellslinger damage feels really underwhelming right now to me. Kind of tempted to put that on the backburner and level up an engineer or medic and see where that takes me.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Okay I was pretty much sold on Dominion from the start, but I rolled a Human Exile with a friend on another server and their starter quest/tutorials are a lot better, in my opinion. I'll probably still roll with Goons but man this Firefly/Outlaw Star/Bebop vibe is great.

Also the Aurin/Mordesh starting zone is amazing. You zone in, see a huge beautiful jungle, think "oh man this'll be nice and pretty." Nope. Between the carnivorous plants, the insane stampeding gazelle, and the loving sand-worm esque roots popping out of the ground to eat you, its pretty terrifying.

edit: also stalker is by far my favorite class i've tried.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

It really is pretty amazing, for example: No grand piano for your house? Just make one!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
FYI, Name Reservations go live tomorrow at 11AM PST. Got a job? gently caress you!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ah ha, good news for me. I work night shifts.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Because everyone with a job has a hard time finding 5 minutes to log onto a website to enter a name

Lord of the Fae
Apr 29, 2013
Is it going to be a function on their website? That would at least give hope for working goons if we can grab names on our phones.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Because everyone with a job has a hard time finding 5 minutes to log onto a website to enter a name

Seems that time is 4am here in Australia - so yeah, that 5 minutes (which will probably have the website stalling and crashing, etc) will not be all that fun. :australia:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guild reservations I can understand being nervous over, but screen name reservations should be a non-issue.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tupper posted:

Okay I was pretty much sold on Dominion from the start, but I rolled a Human Exile with a friend on another server and their starter quest/tutorials are a lot better, in my opinion. I'll probably still roll with Goons but man this Firefly/Outlaw Star/Bebop vibe is great.

Also the Aurin/Mordesh starting zone is amazing. You zone in, see a huge beautiful jungle, think "oh man this'll be nice and pretty." Nope. Between the carnivorous plants, the insane stampeding gazelle, and the loving sand-worm esque roots popping out of the ground to eat you, its pretty terrifying.

edit: also stalker is by far my favorite class i've tried.

The dominion opening sucks so much I couldn't even try to play a tiny psychotic furball. I might retry it, but holy crap it was not interesting yo me

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lord of the Fae posted:

Is it going to be a function on their website? That would at least give hope for working goons if we can grab names on our phones.

How else would you do it?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I decides to try another class to see if it feels better - ChuaEmpress isdominoon sided.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
First attempt at the Level 20 Dungeon, everyone quit before we even managed to take down the first group of enemies. Everyone but me and whoever was Healer kept wiping because they were standing in telegraphs, and after the second wipe everyone just left.

So when I was the only person in the party naturally I did a /leave and now I can't rejoin the queue because I recently deserted a similar match before it was finished.

Very fond regards of this Dungeon so far. Its difficulty is incredibly meta.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

One feature that hasn't gotten much discussion is the crafting minigame, which is quite sophisticated and fun - there's a "crafting table" with a small target on it. The goal is to move a point from the center of the table to the target. You get three "moves", which you choose from a menu, each move having a specific but slightly random distance and direction. If you hit the target, you get the "improved" version of the item you were crafting. Sometimes there are multiple targets.

Most engaging crafting gameplay I've seen since SWG, too.

Chandragupta
Sep 2, 2009
I'm enjoying the combat so far, and am looking forward to dungeons and such despite the tutorial being a total drag. I'm not really sure why they thought that library/museum part was a good idea. Hopefully there will be a skip option when the game goes live. Could someone toss me an invite to Bad Rats? In game as Khosrow.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

straw man posted:

One feature that hasn't gotten much discussion is the crafting minigame, which is quite sophisticated and fun - there's a "crafting table" with a small target on it. The goal is to move a point from the center of the table to the target. You get three "moves", which you choose from a menu, each move having a specific but slightly random distance and direction. If you hit the target, you get the "improved" version of the item you were crafting. Sometimes there are multiple targets.

Most engaging crafting gameplay I've seen since SWG, too.

Is there a certain point where this starts happening? When I was doing weaponsmithing I just overloaded points on X stat until it said "1% chance to fail" and pressed Craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dosvidanya posted:

Oh and another thing to consider with the Engineers that I haven't noticed with other classes is you can cast a lot of their instants while channeling something: their crit proc, their bot attacks can all be cast during volatility or your builder or augur etc.

The worst part of an engineer is that you cannot unsummon your bots and I only fight things I actually have to fight, so your bot will be stuck in combat with something for the next hour until eventually it dies.
It's really stupid and exceptionally annoying.

I think one cool thing about Wildstar that I've never seen in any games is limiting what you can put on your hotbar. I actually like that - in some things (eg: Rift) it's easy to get overwhelmed by skills and hard to know what's actually useful. In this I'm not thinking "oh poo poo what if I need to use X skill here for my rotation" because I cannot have it on my bar, so I only use what I can see right now.

• Locked thread