Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

So just being able to attack forever and kill you when their AI feels like is fine then?

You are making poo poo up now. They can chain combos without any breaks as much as they want to. Sometimes they stop and sometimes they don't.

No I'm not, they always pause after a few attacks. It's a short pause but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zaphod42 posted:

You reminded me...

Thomas the tank engine cosplay

Oh. my. god. :stare:

A few pages back...but how? what does that to a face.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Babyface Mingo posted:

The thing about the mace dudes in Shrine of Amina is that yeah they have a lot of stamina, they're pretty fast in water as well and they do significant damage, but they have shitall poise and are easy to dodge.

Now, the huge fuckoff dude with the greathammer in Dragon Shrine that auto-locks on and has huge range with his attacks and just keeps attacking? gently caress.

Those huge guys in the Dragon Shrine are the drake keepers they're talking about. :ssh:

Bobnumerotres posted:

So just being able to attack forever and kill you when their AI feels like is fine then?

They don't, though? I've never been killed by them, don't see why they're so daunting.

edit: and seriously, it's not like you have to fight them. Only one of the two that exist can't be run past and he's easy to snipe if you'd rather not get in melee range.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 13, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

aegof posted:

Remembering where locked doors are is pretty useful in this game.

Speaking of Locked Doors, I just found the door past the Toad Singing Bitch, that's near a bonfire before going down into the Undead Crypt. What's the deal with that door? Just said it was locked.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Those huge guys in the Dragon Shrine are the drake keepers they're talking about. :ssh:

:downs:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Babyface Mingo posted:

Speaking of Locked Doors, I just found the door past the Toad Singing Bitch, that's near a bonfire before going down into the Undead Crypt. What's the deal with that door? Just said it was locked.

Kill a particular optional boss to find out!

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
New game plus and being fully hollow combined is kicking my rear end. :( It's not such a big deal now since the game's still kinda new and it's not too hard to get shade-summoned to refill it, but this is really going to blow a few months down the line if I want to pick it up again and I have a harder time getting it back if I ever run out of effigies.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Man I get the feeling someone in development reaaaally hated the idea of dickwraiths.

Ignoring all the other ways they killed the covenant and being invaded by sentinels every 2 minutes in NG+, I'm also picking up around 10 blue orbs for every red. Its like theyre trying to tell me something and that something is gently caress you.

Babyface Mingo posted:

You can open it after beating Vendrick , might need to be in human form for it though. But I may just be mixing that last part up with the fact there's that other door in the area that only opens if youre undead.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I killed every boss in the game and never found out what that shrine after toady was for. Gamefaqs says it'll give you humanity if you are all out of effigies, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Nah, the one that's after the demon of song requires you to save all the milfinito and be hollow to open it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cyberventurer posted:

New game plus and being fully hollow combined is kicking my rear end. :( It's not such a big deal now since the game's still kinda new and it's not too hard to get shade-summoned to refill it, but this is really going to blow a few months down the line if I want to pick it up again and I have a harder time getting it back if I ever run out of effigies.

Between the net code being better and how active the online community for DS1 stayed for years, I think we'll be okay on the coop front.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is it possible to create a character that uses fast weapons, miracles(lightning is too good), but also be able to have a proper amount of poise/heavy armor? I can't remember if strength is tied to equipping armor or if it only really matters for weapons.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Nah, the one that's after the demon of song requires you to save all the milfinito and be hollow to open it.

Oh. I didn't know that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Man I get the feeling someone in development reaaaally hated the idea of dickwraiths.

Good. :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Most people hated the dickwraiths. But making the brotherhood of blood borderline impossible to level up was just lovely.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

:downs:

There's no optional boss for that one, actually. Before entering the Singing Toad boss room, did you talk to the hollow lady in the little hutch? If you did, check back at the door after you experience a big change.

Straight answer: The door only opens to hollows. Go suicide off a cliff or stand next to a curse jar. If you didn't talk to the hollow singer and instead killed her, that door is locked forever. Beyond are a few treasure chests and a one-time enemy that can drop a nifty animal skull hat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Ignoring all the other ways they killed the covenant and being invaded by sentinels every 2 minutes in NG+, I'm also picking up around 10 blue orbs for every red. Its like theyre trying to tell me something and that something is gently caress you.

You can open it after beating Vendrick , might need to be in human form for it though. But I may just be mixing that last part up with the fact there's that other door in the area that only opens if youre undead.

If you were a real dickwraith you'd revel in being invaded every 2 minutes.

I can see however that you are in fact, casual scum :smug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Most people hated the dickwraiths. But making the brotherhood of blood borderline impossible to level up was just lovely.

You're right, that should be fixed. Losing a win when you fail a dual is weird.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

They neutered earlygame dickwraiths with the soul memory system. Then they decided to make red eye orbs a precious resource you only found a couple of in the game, then had to either duel for them or wait for NG+ where you can buy them at 10k each.

So basically no one does invasions ever.

quote:

Losing a win when you fail a dual is weird.
Combined with cracked orbs being poo poo it makes the requirements for the covenant totally absurd.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nah that's a good choice imo, since it makes getting to those ranks (And thus getting the cool aura) all that much better. The actual dumb thing is making invasions not count for it and for making it hard to do invasions until ng+ (or w/o serious time investment in the arena).

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Are there any other infuriating mechanics I should know about that aren't too spoilery? I played for 6 hours today without finding how to level up or how to repair weapons. This seems like such a step backwards from Demon's and Dark Souls.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The dumbest thing to me is that it's 500 victories. That takes an rear end lot of time if you're not in one of the sweet spots for soul memory where you can invade someone every time you try. Unless you want to duel, but given the dueling arenas...well, good luck ever reaching max rank given some of the players I've seen in those.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
After raging from dying to the spider giant soul bitch I came back partially hallow. I decided I would wait and bring in a shade. I ended up bringing in two pubbies to help me :shobon:.

The caster is mentally retarded and immediately dies to the little spiders meanwhile the other melee is a jackass and keeps smacking the torso meanwhile I'm cussing them both out and watching extremely slow self (I'm a newbie and haven't put ANY points into Adaptibility) roll not out of range of her face attack.:argh:

I died again and this time when I engage it occurs to me I can block her attacks. I try again pretty after four stupid deaths to mobs, I get there and bring in a shade who of course dies before I even get my first hit on the giant spider. So In my full draclaic armor or however it's spelled I slow walk around her and kill her solo. gently caress pubbies.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I feel like I'm getting close to the end. Is Nashandra ------ the finale boss?

Also I haven't explored everywhere even extensively. Isn't there supposed to be another NPC that you can trade in the Great Souls for weapons into? Haven't found him for instance. Missing a few bonfires too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Nah that's a good choice imo, since it makes getting to those ranks (And thus getting the cool aura) all that much better. The actual dumb thing is making invasions not count for it and for making it hard to do invasions until ng+ (or w/o serious time investment in the arena).

It's a terrible choice. 500 wins should be 500 wins. You shouldn't be punished for losing, especially when the PvP balance is laughable and hacking/lag are huge factors.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I killed every boss in the game and never found out what that shrine after toady was for. Gamefaqs says it'll give you humanity if you are all out of effigies, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Its like a little safety net for people that ran out of effigies end game and might be having trouble getting summoned or whatever.

Its a cool little thing, not dumb.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you were a real dickwraith you'd revel in being invaded every 2 minutes.

I can see however that you are in fact, casual scum :smug:

Hey. It was pretty cool at first. We all like loving other people and being hosed, but without throwing me red orbs its more like being hosed without even the common courtesy of a reach-around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Xeras posted:

Are there any other infuriating mechanics I should know about that aren't too spoilery? I played for 6 hours today without finding how to level up or how to repair weapons. This seems like such a step backwards from Demon's and Dark Souls.

The repair thing I'll grant you but not realizing how to level up when the game tells you how after you talk to the extremely obvious Maiden in Black analog in Majula is 100% on you. You repair durability by resting at a bonfire or using repair powder, if your equipment breaks you pay to fix it at a blacksmith.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The repair thing I'll grant you but not realizing how to level up when the game tells you how after you talk to the extremely obvious Maiden in Black analog in Majula is 100% on you. You repair durability by resting at a bonfire or using repair powder, if your equipment breaks you pay to fix it at a blacksmith.

I found every item in Majula without spotting her so whatever.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've played Demons Souls and Dark Souls pretty extensively and missed the chick while exploring Majula. I beat the first boss before finally looking up how to level.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Xeras posted:

I found every item in Majula without spotting her so whatever.

I think the first time she spawns she should really be right at the bonfire. Players miss her all the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

A few pages back...but how? what does that to a face.

Mess around in the advanced character options and you can make nearly anything. It takes a lot of tweaking to get what you're looking for, since it isn't immediate clear what each option does. I have no idea what the gently caress glabella depth is supposed to do. For the color, he made the character's skin blue but gave him a full face tattoo colored white.

My biggest problem with the character creator is that the cheeks and lips always seem to have some blush you can't get rid of. Its most noticeable when you tweak character skin color to the extreme and their cheeks are a completely different colour.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think the first time she spawns she should really be right at the bonfire. Players miss her all the time.

How? :psyduck: How do you not go directly to the bonfire and light it, then immediately see the woman standing there and talk to her? What the hell.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Finished up DS2 over the weekend.
I can finally stop months of avoiding all potential dark souls II spoiler content, other than the initial preview video.
It was nice finally playing one of the games completely blind, although I'd played both demons and dark souls 1 before, so I didn't really have that much trouble.

I spoiled some recommended level order stuff in demons, and DS1 was mostly blind but I ended up looking some equipment, item, and boss info.
For this one I went cold turkey since the announcement and avoided half the internet when the console version was out.

This resulted not getting to iron keep / unlocking infusions until after doing every other possible area, probably missing a bunch of npc's, and generally wandering around like a lost idiot for the longest time.
I didn't notice what caused the front gate of the drangleic castle to open, so the later puzzles inside took me absolute ages. The end of the game definitely felt way more directionless than the other games.

Also, I completely wasn't expecting the game to end where it did. I thought I still had more stuff to do, and then all of a sudden credits.
At least you don't get kicked into ng+ immediately this time around, which is a fantastic change.

I still harbor retroactive regret for magic spamming my way through demon souls, so I went with a melee build. I can safely say that there is no problem in the DS2 world that cannot be solved with sufficient application of a mace to the face (or otherwise reachable body part). It also has by far the best hitting things noise, at least against armor.
After I finished, I re-specced my points into a faith build, endgame chime, lightning spear, sunlight blade, and basically :stare:
Being able to enchant infused weapons is just so, so good.
I also really like how much easier it is to upgrade weapons, and manage weapons upgrades this time around.

Cowcaster posted:

Which you can't burn an effigy in at all. Sorry guys, the only non-internet-cutting way through the belfries and the rat king's joint is through their covenant members.

About a page late, but I can definitely confirm that being in the bellbro covenant does not prevent you from being invaded by other bellbros. It is a covenant of crazies that entirely do not give a poo poo about anything except guarding a pointless bell, which I think is pretty funny.
Joining the rat covenant does prevent those invasion/summons, though.

I actually had some pretty good pvp experiences on my first times through both the belfry and rat areas, including winning a 2v1 right as I first stepped into the luna belfry, and an extended back and forth fight in the first rat area. Maces really do solve all problems. That was all early game stuff though. I'm sure endgame pvp is hilariously broken in some way, but haven't really touched it yet.
I've literally only seen a single human red invader despite being human for most of the game, and that was when I was summoned as a sunbro, along with another sunbro and the host all using sunlight blade, so he kind of evaporated.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Mess around in the advanced character options and you can make nearly anything. It takes a lot of tweaking to get what you're looking for, since it isn't immediate clear what each option does. I have no idea what the gently caress glabella depth is supposed to do. For the color, he made the character's skin blue but gave him a full face tattoo colored white.

My biggest problem with the character creator is that the cheeks and lips always seem to have some blush you can't get rid of. Its most noticeable when you tweak character skin color to the extreme and their cheeks are a completely different colour.

There's a full face tattoo? I'm going to have to mess around with that one day. I really, really wish they'd let you recreate your character on NG+ or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

How? :psyduck: How do you not go directly to the bonfire and light it, then immediately see the woman standing there and talk to her? What the hell.

Her back is turned to you the first time and she's a bit off in a corner over there for GOD knows what reason, so it's this dark small cloak in the distance players may or may not notice.

I knew about her before the game came out and the first time I went to Majula I had to search for her a bit. It's stupid to have her anywhere but front and center when she's crucial to the game, in DeS you were forced to speak to candle eyes if you wanted to progress and you were formally introduced to leveling up.

They pretty much took everything about her and hosed it up with Shanalasaloki Ocelot or whatever her name is.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 13, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Manatee Cannon posted:

She's standing away from the bonfire initially, and she doesn't stand out that much.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

She's trying to stare dramatically at the ocean.

You gotta make a good first impression after all.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Did you notice how she acts really stiff and never looks at you when you talk to her?

Poor girl is just hella anxious in social situations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Does being hollow prevent invasions? Or perhaps some but not all?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Magus42 posted:

Does being hollow prevent invasions? Or perhaps some but not all?

You gon' get hosed regardless of being hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is it possible to create a character that uses fast weapons, miracles(lightning is too good), but also be able to have a proper amount of poise/heavy armor? I can't remember if strength is tied to equipping armor or if it only really matters for weapons.

Carrying capacity is tied to vigor, so you should be able to wear heavy stuff. Some of the heaviest armors have a strength requirement though, so you may want to level that up a bit. It probably won't be an issue since they aren't too high.