Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

everythingWasBees posted:

That's disappointing, Hibiki sounded cool.

Hibiki is awesome, the only reason why it doesn't get recommended more is because the plot falls off a cliff after episode 30. Still manages to be one of my favorite Rider series in spite of that but it's going to turn off most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except for All of Cancer's screen time which was the best poo poo in that show. He's the best villain in that show by a mile.

Cancer was balanced out by the overabundance of Ryusei and goddamn Meteor Storm which managed to make Meteor even less fun to watch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So further Kikaider news.

The last 8 or so episodes of Kikaider are FANTASTIC. The monsters get way better, Hakaider is amazing, half of the dumb subplots are exploded into nothing, Hakaider is amazing, we get some really awesome storylines about Kikaider being wanted for murder.

It's such a good goddamn show.

To put it another way, so some construction workers happen to find a random DARK project. Red Mine Toad shows up and kills most of 'em. The last one swears revenge and attacks him, while INSIDE OF A BULLDOZER. Then explodes. There's something good and pure about a bulldozer fighting a toad robot.

And I know exactly how much of a boost Hakaider gave this show, considering the VERY first thing we see in 01 is HAKAIDERS EVERYWHERE! We have a Legion of Doom, Hakaider edition going on! The only sad thing is that none of these guys are like the original Hakaider, but that makes sense considering three of them were freshly built and one of them, the body of the original, no longer has the brain of the doctor-so of course his personality is schizo.

To sum it up, Kikaider is a fantastic show...if you skip from about episode 6 or 7 to episode 36 or so.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
What's a good Kamen Rider to get started with? I was thinking about Black because it is considered so important and because of the nostalgia feeling (I watched Black RX as a child). But I'm also watching Dairanger and I'm not sure I can handle that much retro tokusatsu. I'm into martial arts and well-executed plots that don't have to be groundbreaking. Apparently the internet agrees that Blade is awesome, but only after you slog through half the episodes or something, and I only have it available at 360p, which sucks.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 12, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cyphoderus posted:

What's a good Kamen Rider to get started with? I was thinking about Black because it is considered so important and because of the nostalgia feeling (I watched Black RX as a child). But I'm also watching Dairanger and I'm not sure I can handle that much retro tokusatsu. I'm into martial arts and well-executed plots that don't have to be groundbreaking. Apparently the internet agrees that Blade is awesome, but only after you slog through half the episodes or something, and I only have it available at 360p, which sucks.

Black is great. If you're up for a newer show I'd recommend W or OOO.

Or you could do what all the cool new watchers are doing and jump straight into the newest show, Gaim, which has been beyond fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

W if you wanted something modern, Black is a good choice for older stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a the more grounded, 'gritty' for lack of a better term, Rider, go with Kuuga. It's the start of the Heisei Era and has a plot that doesn't poo poo itself by the end.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

jonjonaug posted:

Or you could do what all the cool new watchers are doing and jump straight into the newest show, Gaim, which has been beyond fantastic.

Gaim isn't that good. Why do you like it

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Twistys Rapture posted:

Because it is incredibly good.

Serious answer: Fun, well developed characters with good acting backing them up, good direction, excellent music that sticks in my head (only other Rider so far that I've watched that I'd rate on the same level is a bit of W's soundtrack), compelling plot, it's very well paced, and no awful two part structure. It's vying with Black right now for favorite Rider.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 12, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

^^^^ there you go.

jonjonaug posted:

C'mon! At least you could talk about the writing, how it broke out of the two episode arcs or characters you like. Gaim isn't one of my favorite Riders, but at least I can say more than just "good."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Twistys Rapture posted:

I'll never be sure if you're a troll or just have badwrong opinions.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The suits are kinda crap.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serperoth posted:

I'll never be sure if you're a troll or just have badwrong opinions.

Just because you don't agree doesn't make his opinions bad or wrong.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

everythingWasBees posted:

The suits are kinda crap.

Some of the early ones are (particularly the really floppy ones like Pineapple Arms) but I really like the Energy Rider suits and Kachidoki.

EDIT: I'd say the only aspects of Gaim I think have been done better in other post-Decade Riders I've seen are the Rider abilities (better in OOO once you get past the first dozen episodes of nonsensical form changes to introduce forms) and monster designs (better in W). Although since the Invess are basically animals the less diverse monster designs make sense and I think the big CG monsters have generally been done better in Gaim than in other shows, so I don't really hold this against Gaim. Having the form changes just be weapons instead of whatever superpowers get pulled out of a bag is a bit less fun though.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 13, 2014

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Wizard really got chugging imo compared to where Gaim is now

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

Some of the early ones are (particularly the really floppy ones like Pineapple Arms) but I really like the Energy Rider suits and Kachidoki.

Kachidoki's the first one I'm enjoying, but honestly it seems kinda overworked.
Then again I don't really like the whole samurai motif to start with, and I really enjoyed the insect suits.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Looked like a Blade four main riders with a hell brothers added on, Hase died, Jounouchi is nowhere, I'm glad that Takatora and Mitchy switched tho

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Just because you don't agree doesn't make his opinions bad or wrong.

I disagree.

Twistys Rapture posted:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Twistys Rapture posted:

At around this episode count, Wizard was only putting the first of its three plot coupons into play by making Mayu a wizard (episode 26/27). At this actual episode count, Wizard was spending two entire episodes on Beast Hyper.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

I disagree.

Counterpoint: Wizard had Rinko and Nitou, an awesome belt, and some good looking monster suits.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not even my other friend who tries to constantly get me to watch Decade with him will defend Wizard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess if you use Wizard as the standard for a good show Gaim is kind of terrible. I can't imagine how someone could get that attached to wizard of all things, though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Counterpoint: Wizard had Rinko and Nitou, an awesome belt, and some good looking monster suits.

It also has a Chimera rider.
That alone makes it awesome.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Not even my other friend who tries to constantly get me to watch Decade with him will defend Wizard.

Watch Decade. Tsukasa, Natsumi and Kaitou are an amazing core cast.

Oh, and I guess Kuuga is there, too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Oh, and I guess Kuuga is there, too.

I will never accept Onodera into my heart.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I will never accept Onodera into my heart.

I honestly straight up forget that there was a sidekick character in Decade most of the time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twistys Rapture posted:

Gaim has always been chugging though in comparison.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Nitou's mayonnaise stuff was disgusting, I had to look away from the screen whenever he ate it, and though the belt looked cool it just would not shut the gently caress up, disrupting the action scenes.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

The Wizard x Gaim movie was really good for the Wizard part and the Gaim part just kind of flopped around there

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

I honestly straight up forget that there was a sidekick character in Decade most of the time.

Especially since Yusuke seemed to forget he was a Kamen Rider half the time. Didn't he only transform like maybe 4 or 5 times total in the whole series?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Rinko was an awesome concept, did absolutely nothing in the series and was as useless as the rest of the half-assed Rider Club Haruto had. Nitou, for how cool he might be or not, had to be forced into episodes so we'd remember his existance, as the series seemed completely against letting him have any sort of importance to the plot until the very last second. The belt, while definitely awesome, could get irritating. I'll give you the monster suits.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

jonjonaug posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll try Black for now, and jump into the weirder stuff later (seriously, fruit-themed?).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Rinko was an awesome concept, did absolutely nothing in the series and was as useless as the rest of the half-assed Rider Club Haruto had. Nitou, for how cool he might be or not, had to be forced into episodes so we'd remember his existance, as the series seemed completely against letting him have any sort of importance to the plot until the very last second. The belt, while definitely awesome, could get irritating. I'll give you the monster suits.

Yeah, if that was the point where Mayu was becoming a Rider, then Rinko totally was on the bench at that point. Such a sad waste of character. Pretty much you could say that about most of the cast by the end, though. Wizard had some stinker arcs, but for the most part watching week to week wasn't bad when we didn't know how it all would turn out. It's probably the last heisei show I'd recommend someone watch, though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twistys Rapture posted:

The Wizard x Gaim movie was really good for the Wizard part and the Gaim part just kind of flopped around there

We did finally find out where he got that Dandelion lock though :downs:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Corollary: Mother loving Shunpei.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Corollary: Mother loving Shunpei.

Shunpei was pretty much the worst. And he couldn't be the worst by himself, he drug Rinko down to his level far too often.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

We did finally find out where he got that Dandelion lock though :downs:

Didn't he get that in the same scene he got Kachidoki in the show?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TurninTrix posted:

Didn't he get that in the same scene he got Kachidoki in the show?

Correct.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Shunpei was god awful. I feel that if Rinko was a rider, the series would've been about ten times better. That and I would've liked to have seen more screen time given to the other Mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jonjonaug posted:

Gaim, jonjon, not Go-Busters.

• Locked thread