Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Magus42 posted:

Does being hollow prevent invasions? Or perhaps some but not all?

Doesn't do poo poo for invasions. Only difference between human and hollow now is that humans can ask for help, and have max health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Magus42 posted:

It doesn't, but this means that the potential summon pool is massive and you won't get targeted much.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm stuck in the area with the long armed creatures and zombies, any tips?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Magus42 posted:

The only thing that prevents invasions without being offline is burning effigies in a bonfire. Which only works for that specific area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
gently caress, Looking glass Knight is kicking my aspiring dickwraith's rear end. He just takes so loving long to kill with unupgraded gear that I keep losing the war of attrition.

But once I win, I'll finally get my throned greatsword. And it will have been worth it.

Nuebot posted:

There's a full face tattoo? I'm going to have to mess around with that one day. I really, really wish they'd let you recreate your character on NG+ or something.

There is not. However, you can resize tattos in advanced options and change their position. By doing this you can turn the small dot tattoo into face paint.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 13, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Magus42 posted:

Getting invaded normally outside of a few special areas seems to be a fantastically rare occurence.
I talked to some friends after beating the game, and if I understand the mechanics right, its just really absurdly hard to get invaded in ng at all.

I was also informed that human / hollow isn't supposed to matter at all for being invaded.
I definitely noticed this was true for the special areas, but I didn't get red invaded once during my entire playthrough so I wasn't sure if that was any different in DS2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WYA posted:

Use a torch.

More a more permanent solution use a Pharros Lockstone.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Use a torch.

More a more permanent solution use a Pharros Lockstone.

Those creatures are pretty easy to backstab also.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Co-op and invasions are fun with a buddy on Skype! Belfry Luna bugged out and his sign faded every time I got near though, which is weird. And I sucked and died at the chariot a lot as a melee dude. :downs:

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

WYA posted:

The long arm guys have a very long recovery period after attacking, so you can easily circle around them and backstab away. Also, they hate light, so if you are carrying a torch they will run away from you. They are corrupted pyromancers, considering their loot tables, so I can understand why they hate fire so much.

As for the zombies, just make sure to play it safe, they aren't very good individually but you can get killed if you overextend. Try to avoid or snipe the archers if you have the chance.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
PS3 platinum - done
PC all achievements - done

Let's go Beast I'm ready! :getin:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WYA posted:

Backpedal and chuck Firebombs at them. Three direct hits will kill them.

Alternatively, block their first two attacks, and then go ham on them as you circle around to the back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

animatorZed posted:

Getting invaded normally outside of a few special areas seems to be a fantastically rare occurence.
I talked to some friends after beating the game, and if I understand the mechanics right, its just really absurdly hard to get invaded in ng at all.

I was also informed that human / hollow isn't supposed to matter at all for being invaded.
I definitely noticed this was true for the special areas, but I didn't get red invaded once during my entire playthrough so I wasn't sure if that was any different in DS2.

It's rare because of the scarcity of cracked eye orbs and there being no permanent one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WYA posted:

It'd really help if you told us where! :downs:

Assuming No Man's Warf, as others have suggested, bring a torch

Lots of Dark Souls 2 has subtle mechanics that respond to torches and light, but since they changed the game art halfway through development and made the ambient light way brighter, most people play the whole game without torches and miss out on those mechanics, since it requires you to sacrifice a shield. Try taking a torch lots of places; fun things happen!

animatorZed posted:

Invasions in DS2 are just very rare until NG+

Its kinda nice compared to DS1, although at this point I would really prefer some more invasions! Hah! But you can always go gently caress with bellbros or ratbros.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks guys, torch is helping me a lot. loving dogs and burning arrows though

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's rare because of the scarcity of cracked eye orbs and there being no permanent one.

Why is everyone complaining about hackers then?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ Try summoning for co-op? No man's warf is a really great level, but since there's only the one bonfire its nice and challenging. Lots of people put down signs to help you get through the level as a result, as opposed to other fights where people put their sign close to the boss.

WYA posted:

Once is too much? :shrug:

Honestly I don't really get it myself, but I guess I got used to DS1 where you were invaded by SL1 pros on NG++++ or hackers every 30 seconds.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I finally found the dude that sells claws, and I've been curious as to how they work.

It's pretty fantastic, so I used a soul vessel to change up to a dex-oriented build and try a few different dex weapons I've really been wanting to try.

Problem is, they fall apart after 5 minutes. Christ I can't make it through 4 or 5 good sized fights with the claws before they start to break.

Some weapons, like the black night's halberd have a 60/60 rating, but even it falls apart incredibly early compared to any of the strength oriented weapons I was using. It's gotten to be so frustrating that I almost don't even want to play.

Is there a decent dex weapon that doesn't fall apart so easily?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

WYA posted:

There are other forms of PvP than the red phantoms of old. The Belfries, Grave of Saints, and Doors of Pharros are all special PvP areas with covenants attached. Then you have the duels, the blue sentinels and brotherhood of blood.

I've never seen a hacker myself, but they obviously exist.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Finally beat this game after almost 80 hours played.

I, uh, probably should not have worn a skirt for the final cutscene.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are there any enemies that drop sorceries or miracles like there are for pyromancies and hexes?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Zaphod42 posted:

Its kinda nice compared to DS1, although at this point I would really prefer some more invasions! Hah! But you can always go gently caress with bellbros or ratbros.

I didn't join bellbros until the second area, but once I did and found out what the actual rewards were, I just tooled around hitting people with maces for hours. I mean, I felt a little bit like a jerk, but hey, free weapon upgrades!

e: In the first area, I got invaded before I could even join the covenant and decided I'd rather beat them than join them.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 13, 2014

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Going to stream some more of my first playthrough for a bit, just found the Skeleton Lords.

Bone wheels... why did it have to be bone wheels?

http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim Stream over, beat them on my 2nd try, then went on through and beat the Covetous Demon.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 13, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

sighnoceros posted:

This is what I thought when they first showed up. But holy drat did those guys get the nerf bat this time around.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of Dark Souls 2 has subtle mechanics that respond to torches and light, but since they changed the game art halfway through development and made the ambient light way brighter, most people play the whole game without torches and miss out on those mechanics, since it requires you to sacrifice a shield. Try taking a torch lots of places; fun things happen!

Where would these be? Outside of the enemies in the area mentioned, I can't think of anything else that changes. Also the timer kind of discourages just running around with it out constantly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tell me if anyone else feels this way, but I think the whole huntsmen copse > harvest valley > earthen peak path feels the most rushed and badly designed out of any of the paths you take.

The entire route is just narrow roads with bonfires a minute or less apart, it's kinda weird how close the bonfires are compared to any other area in this game or the last one, harvest valley a straight road that's 95% optional treasure you can pick up off the main path, I don't even need to get into the windmill issues or transition into the next area.

At least it has visually unique and somewhat fun to fight bosses along the path, but taste may vary.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sighnoceros posted:

Going to stream some more of my first playthrough for a bit, just found the Skeleton Lords.

http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim

I always save the wheel lord for last because of that. So I can murder them all before they even properly spawn.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Tell me if anyone else feels this way, but I think the whole huntsmen copse > harvest valley > earthen peak path feels the most rushed and badly designed out of any of the paths you take.

The entire route is just narrow roads with bonfires a minute or less apart, it's kinda weird how close the bonfires are compared to any other area in this game or the last one, harvest valley a straight road that's 95% optional treasure you can pick up off the main path, I don't even need to get into the windmill issues or transition into the next area.

At least it has visually unique and somewhat fun to fight bosses along the path, but taste may vary.

I definitely feel like the later in the game that they were the more rushed and badly developed it felt. Forest of the Fallen Giants had decent bonfire pacing, and I really liked Lost Bastille/No-Man's Wharf. I think the Wharf is probably one of the best levels in the game. Then you get to areas where it feels like someone in testing said "Wow these little assassins are messing me up" and instead of learning how to play against them, the devs just added a bonfire after every 3 enemies instead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really like that portion of the game so I disagree. However I want to point out that nearly every area consists of a huge chunk of optional stuff. I've been skipping large portions of the game to keep my SM low and its quite shocking how fast you can get through an area if you make a beeline for the exit. Areas that seem big are actually rather small if you cut out all the optional exploration.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

animatorZed posted:

This is what I thought when they first showed up. But holy drat did those guys get the nerf bat this time around.

They hosed my battlemage up at bonfire intensity 2 at least. I'm still disappointed the Executioner's Chariot's wheels aren't bonewheels and they don't start to fly off and attack you though.

e: BTW just how huge is the name-engraved ring's summoning pool? I heard people millions of SM higher than others showing up, and my brother and I did easily despite a 300k difference (except the Belfries, which kind of broke).

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 13, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Dude the whole game has way more bonfires. Its not just those zones. No man's warf is like the only zone in the game that doesn't have 3 bonfires. It does indeed seem like they designed the levels, then went back and did a second pass and crapped bonfires everywhere because people were complaining or something.

That said, I thought Huntsman's Copse to Harvest Valley to Earthen Peak was AWESOME.

Its Earthen Peak to Iron Keep that makes no goddamned sense. You missed the weird part. The whole Harvest Valley plague tunnels and Earthen Peak windmill of poison was actually an awesome design, and Huntsman's Copse leads into that appropriately. So I have no idea what you're talking about, haha.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Where would these be? Outside of the enemies in the area mentioned, I can't think of anything else that changes. Also the timer kind of discourages just running around with it out constantly.

Uh off the top of my head Its much easier to see where the ground falls off in Shrine of Amana where you die if you have a torch, and its much easier to see the invisible enemies in Shaded Woods. I think it probably does something in Undead Crypt too, since whatshisname responds so obviously to it. If nothing else it makes him say something. And there's more I'm forgetting. Plus there's those shortcuts that you need fire to open up, although you can use a firebomb (safer) or a fire imbued weapon, or even punch them with the pyromancy flame!

Internet Kraken posted:

I really like that portion of the game so I disagree. However I want to point out that nearly every area consists of a huge chunk of optional stuff. I've been skipping large portions of the game to keep my SM low and its quite shocking how fast you can get through an area if you make a beeline for the exit. Areas that seem big are actually rather small if you cut out all the optional exploration.

Yeah that was true of Dark Souls 1 too. Its part of whats so great about the level design, its more open and natural. So many modern games are just linear corridors where you're forced to go through it in a set order and you can't deviate from the main path, all side doors are locked, etc.

Dark Souls level design is so good, and they reward you for exploring really well with all the fixed treasures.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Dude the whole game has way more bonfires. Its not just those zones. No man's warf is like the only zone in the game that doesn't have 3 bonfires. It does indeed seem like they designed the levels, then went back and did a second pass and crapped bonfires everywhere because people were complaining or something.

Huntsman's Copse has a bonfire less two minutes away from the first one. Why even put it there? Also Huntsman's Copse is great except the leadup to the chariot. I got real tired of fighting those four fuckers with whips and maces.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, I thought Huntsman's Copse to Harvest Valley to Earthen Peak was AWESOME.

Its Earthen Peak to Iron Keep that makes no goddamned sense. You missed the weird part. The whole Harvest Valley plague tunnels and Earthen Peak windmill of poison was actually an awesome design, and Huntsman's Copse leads into that appropriately. So I have no idea what you're talking about, haha.

Uh off the top of my head Its much easier to see where the ground falls off in Shrine of Amana where you die if you have a torch, and its much easier to see the invisible enemies in Shaded Woods. I think it probably does something in Undead Crypt too, since whatshisname responds so obviously to it. If nothing else it makes him say something. And there's more I'm forgetting. Plus there's those shortcuts that you need fire to open up, although you can use a firebomb (safer) or a fire imbued weapon, or even punch them with the pyromancy flame!

I'm pretty sure if you take it up in the undead crypt he will attack you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Huntsman's Copse has a bonfire less two minutes away from the first one. Why even put it there? Also Huntsman's Copse is great except the leadup to the chariot. I got real tired of fighting those four fuckers with whips and maces.

Somebody probably died getting to the first one (bridge) and bitched about running back from Majula.

Or if that was the first one, (which would explain the shortcut tree below the bridge) then that fight from the bridge to Undead Purgatory is already brutal, so having to do that whole run at once would get pretty slow/frustrating pretty quick.

The third one isn't a big deal because its initially locked, and you have to get further to open it, that part's pretty well designed, especially with the loopback shortcut.

But Earthen Peak has 3 bonfires! The second is so close to the first its ridiculous. They should just have the first and the third.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like they put the second bonfire down first, and then realized that it was a pain to get to the hex guy so they created the first one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zaphod42 posted:

You're outside, in the horizon you see endless plains with windmills scattered around, butts in the sky. You are in one of the windmills.

You reach the deepest part of the building, enter an elevator, and it goes...up? And suddenly you're surrounded by a castle sinking into the lava.

I guess there's lava floating on top of butts and someone thought it would be a great idea to build a castle made of iron on top of the lava in my butts.

That being said, I'm willing to overlook it because Video Games, and this particular game is a lot of fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

One leads to the Skeleton Lords and the other leads to the Undead Purgatory? It's not that big a deal, you have to unlock the second one anyway. I think the real reason it's there is so you know there's a reason to go into that hut with Creighton. You light the bonfire and then oh there was a guy here.

Now, going up an elevator in a windmill and exiting in a giant iron castle in the middle of a volcano? That's weird.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So it's cool to murder all the NPCs you want prior to NG+, right? They'll be back all happy and friendly?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EvilCornbread posted:

So it's cool to murder all the NPCs you want prior to NG+, right? They'll be back all happy and friendly?

Yup. No reason not to.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In Gutters: Oh hey it's the Tomb of Deblighenment, no big deal.

In Black Gulch: :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

EvilCornbread posted:

Just be ready for the funpolice to try and ruin your poo poo.