Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I also knew basically nothing about the character before and I'm liking it. It's pretty heavy on the gore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The new Ms. Marvel is in my opinion so far the most interesting thing marvels put out in years, I really wish it was more often than monthly. it's so good I cant believe its not some kind of indie label.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Iron Fist is super pretty and if you've read any Iron Fist in the last decade plus you'll be disappointed because Danny is an rear end in a top hat now.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

Ms. Marvel is like if Marvel bought the rights to an indie comic and let it run. Its a cool story, kinda light on action so far but very character driven.

Al-Saqr posted:

The new Ms. Marvel is in my opinion so far the most interesting thing marvels put out in years, I really wish it was more often than monthly. it's so good I cant believe its not some kind of indie label.
And it has the added advantage that the writer doesn't need to create stand-in characters since the title is a Marvel IP, while the runaway sales success to date has meant that the writer was allowed to use even more Earth-616 characters in the future... even if one of the first (besides Kamala's "personal Marvel Trinity", although only Carol Danvers has had plot relevance for the most part) is going to be Wolverine, and by runaway success I mean look at all these covers just for the first three issues:

(The blue-labeled #1-2 are second printings, the yellow-labeled #1 is a third printing.)

From a Bleeding Cool interview with the writer, boldfacing/italicizing in the reply is mine:

G. Willow Wilson, Ms. Marvel writer posted:

BC: At NorWesCon, you spoke about how you are sometimes asked to “vet” other people’s stories which feature Muslim characters, particularly Muslim women. Can you speak a little bit to that?

GWW: Lawdy. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve been asked to check something and “make sure it didn’t contain something accidentally offensive to Muslims,” I’d be…well, not rich, but I’d have a lot of dollars. When people say that, what they want me to do is make sure the headscarves look right and the beards look right, which is all very superficial stuff. That’s never the problem. The problem is that the people with the very correct beards and headscarves are selling their daughters into slavery and speaking in tongues and lolling about in harems. It’s like “can you make sure there is nothing un-Islamic in our orientalist shlock-fest?” Well, sure. The problem is not that your orientalist shlock-fest is un-Islamic. The problem is that it sucks.

BC: At NorWesCon, you also spoke a bit about orientalism and Habibi, and the way that comic exoticized the Middle East without really grounding itself. Do you have any general words of advice for Western writers seeking to dig into Middle Eastern and Muslim issues?

GWW: Other people felt more strongly about Habibi than I did, actually. I was ambivalent. I like Craig Thompson‘s work, and I think I can see what he was trying to do with Habibi–it’s just that he made a hash of it. Generally speaking, if your goal is to “unpack stereotypes” or some such thing, and you have not directly experienced those stereotypes yourself, what you almost inevitably end up doing is regurgitating the same garbage in a slightly fancier fashion. Because you’re working from a fundamentally flawed information set–you know what the stereotypes are, but you don’t know what the reality is. You have to guess. And you may end up guessing wrong.
As for Kamala Khan, future Young Avenger: "not for a little while yet."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

G. Willow Wilson posted:

Well, sure. The problem is not that your orientalist shlock-fest is un-Islamic. The problem is that it sucks.

I love this.

I really gotta get around to Ms. Marvel, and Alif the Unseen and the rest of Air that I haven't read either.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr. Maltose posted:

Iron Fist is super pretty and if you've read any Iron Fist in the last decade plus you'll be disappointed because Danny is an rear end in a top hat now.

That and they've apparently destroyed K'un Lun (although that'll probably get undone) and reverted Davos' redemption from Immortal Iron Fist, and apparently killed off the new female Thunderer. Basically scrapped all the cool stuff from Fraction's run.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

How is the new Iron Fist series? I really liked the Immortal Iron Fist run but I don't know much about the new writer Kaare Andrews and I heard it was really dark and aping the style of Frank Miller, whose early work I really love but most people doing his style tend to do it badly.

I wouldn't say aping the style of Miller but as with say Spider-Man: Reign Andrews is clearly a big fan so it's got a lot of those things in there. I like it though as he's one of the best at kinetic energy.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
After being told if I liked this scene, http://vimeo.com/m/73270250, I'd like Marvel Nows Magneto series, I can safely say they were right.

What a cool series :swoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chortles posted:

And it has the added advantage that the writer doesn't need to create stand-in characters since the title is a Marvel IP, while the runaway sales success to date has meant that the writer was allowed to use even more Earth-616 characters in the future... even if one of the first (besides Kamala's "personal Marvel Trinity", although only Carol Danvers has had plot relevance for the most part) is going to be Wolverine, and by runaway success I mean look at all these covers just for the first three issues:

(The blue-labeled #1-2 are second printings, the yellow-labeled #1 is a third printing.)

From a Bleeding Cool interview with the writer, boldfacing/italicizing in the reply is mine:
As for Kamala Khan, future Young Avenger: "not for a little while yet."

Only four of those are reprints, the rest are variant covers. All Marvel comics get variant covers these days.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Cross-posting from the Digital Comics thread:

Marvel & Comixology has further dropped the price on their discounted Vol 1 collections. You can get these titles for $2 each now, and if you still have the $5 credit you can get Annihilation and Nova Vol 1 which can really kick-start your Marvel Cosmic library (Marvel Cosmic is amazing)

It's more convenient than stealing at this point.

Annihilation and Nova are great, and if you've never read Marvel Cosmic before, this is the time.
(Don't buy Big Time, it sucks unless you REALLY like costumes)
I haven't read Winter Soldier at all so I can't judge
And Age of Apocalypse is pretty 90's as poo poo, but for $4 you get a hell of a lot of comics, and the trade usually runs $25.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 11, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
What reccomended order should I go in if I wanted bothg Anihilation and Nova?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

Nova takes place after Annihilation, so you read Annihilation Book 1, and then books 2 and 3, and then get to Nova.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Solaris Knight posted:

There's a big image floating around that has the reading order for the DnA era cosmic Marvel.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Flameingblack posted:

Cross-posting from the Digital Comics thread:

Marvel & Comixology has further dropped the price on their discounted Vol 1 collections. You can get these titles for $2 each now, and if you still have the $5 credit you can get Annihilation and Nova Vol 1 which can really kick-start your Marvel Cosmic library (Marvel Cosmic is amazing)

It's more convenient than stealing at this point.

Annihilation and Nova are great, and if you've never read Marvel Cosmic before, this is the time.
(Don't buy Big Time, it sucks unless you REALLY like costumes)
I haven't read Winter Soldier at all so I can't judge
And Age of Apocalypse is pretty 90's as poo poo, but for $4 you get a hell of a lot of comics, and the trade usually runs $25.

Fuuuuck - is this sale already over? I wanted to get AoA, but it's at $14.99. :smith:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Look who's comming back this August.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SilverSupernova posted:

Look who's comming back this August.

We already knew this. It is the Guardians issue that explains how Thanos and Starlord are back.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

We don't know if Nova will be "back" or not. Just that they'll get into what happened, if Bendis can be believed.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

This is not strictly true. In the new series, we have access to Danny's interior monologue and we see that he's a pretty negative dude. But if you look at what he actually says, it's not inconsistent with his (perceived) lighter personality. For example, in the first issue all his thoughts about the interviews and the ninjas and everything are pretty grim, but some of the only speech bubbles are him saying things like "crap" and "crappity-crap" while making a derp face.

So, I think it's actually pretty somewhat consistent characterization, except we're learning that the interior Danny is a lot more sad and serious than his exterior would let on.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Except for all those times in the last, what, 15 years that we've also had access to what Danny actually thinks and it doesn't exactly jive with the current book? It's not devastating or ruins the book, but it's noticeable and with some of the other things I would call missteps the book reads like you had a real great kung-fu story but you have to force Iron Fist into it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Arguably it might be a better Shang-Chi story but he is dead, or at least as dead as anyone can be in a Spencer book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Arguably it might be a better Shang-Chi story but he is dead, or at least as dead as anyone can be in a Spencer book.

You are right he is dead and not having a book released this week
http://marvel.com/comics/issue/50533/deadly_hands_of_kung_fu_2014_1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

We already knew this. It is the Guardians issue that explains how Thanos and Starlord are back.

Ed Mcguiness is the Nova cover artist so it's very possible that's a Nova cover.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Ed Mcguiness is the Nova cover artist so it's very possible that's a Nova cover.

In that case is there any chance it could be Sam's Dad?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
That cover was in a press release where Bendis was talking about teh Original Sin tie-in in Guardians and said we'd find out what happened to Richard Rider, can we please stop the ridiculous conspiracy theories

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Not until everybody refers to him as Dick Rider :colbert:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yvonmukluk posted:

That and they've apparently destroyed K'un Lun (although that'll probably get undone) and reverted Davos' redemption from Immortal Iron Fist, and apparently killed off the new female Thunderer. Basically scrapped all the cool stuff from Fraction's run.

I only picked up the first issue and it seemed like something I might get in trades but yeah gently caress it for that, that sounds DC pointless deaths means it's good level writing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Waterhaul posted:

You mean Old Bucket Head?
The Human Rocket?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

In that case is there any chance it could be Sam's Dad?

Considering Sam's dad has a black helmet like his kid and not the Nova Prime uniform, I'd say no.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

d00gZ posted:

That cover was in a press release where Bendis was talking about teh Original Sin tie-in in Guardians and said we'd find out what happened to Richard Rider, can we please stop the ridiculous conspiracy theories
I'm just blueskying here but looking at this promotional image:

I speculate that this is the cover to Guardians of the Galaxy #18, and Ed McGuinness drew it because he is the interior artist of that issue.

According to the press release Guardians of the Galaxy #18 is an Original Sin tie-in that has that cover and interior art by Ed McGuinness, and it explores, "how Star-Lord and Thanos escaped death in the Cancerverse at the end of 2010 series "The Thanos Imperative," and the fate of former Nova Richard Rider."

But you know, loving Bendis. It could be anything. It's probably some lovely What If?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

That was never funny but whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That was never funny but whatever.

Sometimes I don't get you, man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Sometimes I don't get you, man.

Okay it was funny exactly once but like everything BSS beat it to death and continues to drag the corpse.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm just blueskying here but looking at this promotional image:

I speculate that this is the cover to Guardians of the Galaxy #18, and Ed McGuinness drew it because he is the interior artist of that issue.

According to the press release Guardians of the Galaxy #18 is an Original Sin tie-in that has that cover and interior art by Ed McGuinness, and it explores, "how Star-Lord and Thanos escaped death in the Cancerverse at the end of 2010 series "The Thanos Imperative," and the fate of former Nova Richard Rider."

But you know, loving Bendis. It could be anything. It's probably some lovely What If?

if Rider comes back and Bendis scripts it like a scene from Cheers, I'm done with this comic. Maybe. Dammit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, I shudder to ask, but I fear I must know.

What's going on with Avengers Undercover? I know it exists, but that's pretty much it. Have they decided to retcon it yet?

I'd ask if it sucks, but I imagine that's pretty self-evident.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, I shudder to ask, but I fear I must know.

What's going on with Avengers Undercover? I know it exists, but that's pretty much it. Have they decided to retcon it yet?

Damian Hellstrom is evil, Chase is a fat frat boy with a mohawk.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd ask if it sucks, but I imagine that's pretty self-evident.
It doesn't even really suck like the other one did. It is just really, really boring.

Other thing is he showed no ability to live up to the premise, which could have been interesting. The idea that they'd get together and go undercover with the assumption everyone else is making that they're hosed up plays off the original premise of academy well. But the end result is that they just randomly do things and then a lot of dull exposition before you forget what you were reading.

I'd call it disappointing but well, we all know that isn't true.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Since when? He's still alive in Avengers World as far as I know.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

Okay it was funny exactly once but like everything BSS beat it to death and continues to drag the corpse.

lmao

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I think we can still get some comedy out of the corpse. Just beat it a bit more...to the left.

Necromancer: CORPSE EXPLOSION!

*splurt*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don't you have a comic to eat or something?

:)

Gatts posted:

I think we can still get some comedy out of the corpse. Just beat it a bit more...to the left.

Necromancer: CORPSE EXPLOSION!

*splurt*

Ugh, don't you have some sort of court order to keep away from corpses?

• Locked thread