Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cyberventurer posted:

Jesus christ, I can't even reach the second bonfire in Shrine of Amana NG+ now. Just a single archdrake knight hits me now and then because I can't block all of his hits, and he frequently chains attacks so that I'm struck right after dodging. And then there's a pack of three that come together that I just can't get past. :suicide:

What's your build? If you have so little stamina you should be ranging them. This isn't me telling you to git gud, ascetic Amana priests are loving nuts since they attack in packs, believe me I know, but you gotta play to your strengths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Having finished the game, here are my main thoughts:

-gently caress shrine of Amana. Yes, blah, blah, arrows and poo poo, you're a boring nerd and telepath/gamefaqs reader who brought a bow because you're so clever and is intentionally going to misread every single of my arguments as me finding the place too difficult. Killing the casters with ranged attacks does not change the fact that an entire zone consisting of slowing floors is just loving TEDIOUS to travel through. This place would have been fine if the water level had been 50cm lower, which would have made the puzzle on how to deal with each of the casters without agroing too many and getting overwhelmed actually interesting instead of a boring slog that after the second invisible pitfall I stabbed the lizards next to the bonfire and bought a bunch of poison arrows from Gavlan with their souls. Straying off the main path also results in possibly running into a pile of curse jars that have their giggle silenced by the sound of the player moving through the water and their faces turned downwards so they're not even recognizable as curse jars until the meter appears on screen and fills up 5 times faster than usual, in slowing water, which is a dumb cheapshot.

-On the same note, Aldia's Keep. Hey a giant dragon skeleton. Hey a moving giant dragon skeleton that can't bet targeted, has no boss music or boss bar, is he friendly? If so that would be a really cool NPC to pu- BOOM he launched his own head at the ground next to me from across the hall, instantly killing me. Same with the Ogres that burst through the doors. I avoided the trap doors in IK because "door with flames coming around it leading into an active furnace = crispy adventurer" is a sound chain of logic. "door in a place where all enemies are locked up in cages = inexplicably uncaged ogre waiting on the far side to gank me" is not. Said ogres also have the grating ability to faceplant into the ground two rolls away from me, then teleport me into their mouth, chew on my full set of Havel's for a bit and then kill me anyway.

-Bosses(and in later areas, regular enemies too) felt a bit hit and miss as to whether they'd even acknowledge my armoured brick playstyle, ignoring my shield completely, their first hit taking me to 10% in my underpants or 40% in my Havel's, or just oneshotting me regardless of what I'm wearing(Ancient Dragon). In Dark Souls 1 and the first half of this game, the tools of a tanky character are my shield and armour with combat decision-making revolving around when to facetank something and conserve stamina for other things like damage(4 kings is a good example), when to block everything the boss throws at me and retaliate when he runs out of stamina first(Ornstein p1), how to manage said stamina and health and not be caught with one of the bars empty(everywhere, with Artorias being relatively difficult and the most fun) and when it's just better to conserve both resources and not be in the path of something that would surely drain them both(Gaping Dragon, Smough). The later parts of dark souls 2 however, gives the choices "spellcaster" "dodgy melee" "dodgy melee, but crippled", Vendrick, the Chasm everything and the giants being the worst offenders. Conversely, the Guardian Dragon is one of my favourite fights moveset wise because he has a mix between attacks that are best left to my Ring of Restoration(fireball), attacks that can and should be blocked(bites/tail swipes), attacks that can be blocked in case of emergency but are better avoided with positioning(fire breaths) and attacks that are clearly unblockable with the tradeoff of being easier to avoid(stomps).

-A lot of areas feel more like straight corridors with a bonfire on one end and a boss on the other. The two places that avoid this the most are Forest of the Fallen Giants and the Lost Bastille and are all the better for it with their entire wings dedicated to sidequesting, felt very reminiscent of the upper half of the Undead Burg, which also had and a ladder, jump or hidden passage to discover behind every stack of crates. Compare to Truncated RectanglesDrangleic Castle, where sidepaths are almost completely limited to items being placed in corners not within direct LoS of the door.

Overall, I'd rate this game about equal to the previous one, with most of the improvements being technical in nature(like going from having to reinstall a fan patch four times to get around the fact that the game does not recognize my wired xbox360 controller to having to use a small autohotkey script to get around the fact that the game does not recognize my wired xbox360 controller) but taking a few steps back in terms of gameplay, especially late game.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm guessing you are a DEX build. Try rolling past their attacks and backstabbing

Yes. I didn't want to go macelord on purpose but I'm reconsidering because god drat.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I don't see the problem here. Dude should stop turtlin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Asehujiko, to be fair you actually consider Lost Izalith/Lava Land to be good?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Yes. I didn't want to go macelord on purpose but I'm reconsidering because god drat.

DEX is rough. If you want to stick with it try getting enough STR for greatswords at least. You might find it a nice compromise

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Ulvirich posted:

You can't pull them singly? I could face pull them one at a time with my melee character (albeit only tried on NG), no ranged weapon either.

Nah, I tried. :( I went waaaay back and sniped one with a bow, and all three aggro together. The Yearn spell doesn't distract them either.

Alan Smithee posted:

What's your build? If you have so little stamina you should be ranging them. This isn't me telling you to git gud, ascetic Amana priests are loving nuts since they attack in packs, believe me I know, but you gotta play to your strengths

43 vigor but I'm hollowed (using the ring of binding though), base endurance / vitality, 50 int and faith. My problem is that since I can't one-shot any of them, the others catch up incredibly quickly and then I spend the next minute dodging because I can't regain any distance long enough to get a cast off before I'm mobbed. I'm going to try long-range Dark Fog sniping but I don't think I can get close enough in range for it without them pulling anyway.

Edit: They pull as soon as soon as Dark Fog touches one of them.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 13, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

If you can get the Alonne knights to drop their katana, it's really good for dex build pve.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What determines whether your hits make something stagger?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cyberventurer posted:

Nah, I tried. :( I went waaaay back and sniped one with a bow, and all three aggro together. The Yearn spell doesn't distract them either.

43 vigor but I'm hollowed (using the ring of binding though), base endurance / vitality, 50 int and faith. My problem is that since I can't one-shot any of them, the others catch up incredibly quickly and then I spend the next minute dodging because I can't regain any distance long enough to get a cast off before I'm mobbed. I'm going to try long-range Dark Fog sniping but I don't think I can get close enough in range for it without them pulling anyway.

Can you use a bow? Poison bow will kill at least one. Or if you can use AOE spells like the pillars of flame one forget the name.

Also if hollowing is a problem use ring of life protection/ring of soul protection. They are insurance rings for your souls and keep you from losing health/humanity

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

WYA posted:

What determines whether your hits make something stagger?

Amount of poise the enemy/armor has vs poise damage your weapon does.

A lot of monsters seem to have near-infinite poise though. Or none at all.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Amount of poise the enemy/armor has vs poise damage your weapon does.

A lot of monsters seem to have near-infinite poise though. Or none at all.

Mace absolutely destroys poise amazingly enough.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

voltron lion force posted:

It's actually impossible to combo with a mace for that long.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Basically this. I've never had what happened there happen to me, probably because I roll through the attacks ending up to their side/back. If anything that's a good thing since it means turtlers get punishes for excessive turtling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Double checking but...

Are NG and NG+ people actually segregated in any way for summoning and PvP purposes or is it 100 percent SM based?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in-game that they're totally segregated but I don't actually know. I've definitely invaded people who COULD be in NG on NG+ characters though

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Basically this. I've never had what happened there happen to me, probably because I roll through the attacks ending up to their side/back. If anything that's a good thing since it means turtlers get punishes for excessive turtling.

As someone who went through the game the first time with no shield, they do the same thing as that but turn on a dime and kill you before you're even done rolling.

Of course, it's nothing a great lightning spear can't handle, but they're definitely bugged.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Yeah it only really relentlessly tracks and attacks you if you're infront of him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Oblivious posted:

Double checking but...

Are NG and NG+ people actually segregated in any way for summoning and PvP purposes or is it 100 percent SM based?

When you decide to start journey two it says something along the lines of that if you do journey 2 the multi is separated from ng. You can only connect with ng+ peeps.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Can you use a bow? Poison bow will kill at least one. Or if you can use AOE spells like the pillars of flame one forget the name.

Also if hollowing is a problem use ring of life protection/ring of soul protection. They are insurance rings for your souls and keep you from losing health/humanity

I have a bow but it's not poisoned, and I only had 3 poison arrows on me. They aggroed as soon as the first one was hit but I didn't build up enough poison for it to take.

I just got by them, though. For some reason their AI kinda stalled out in between hits so I was able to roll, cast, roll, cast and pick them off. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shindragon posted:

When you decide to start journey two it says something along the lines of that if you do journey 2 the multi is separated from ng. You can only connect with ng+ peeps.

Are ALL variants separate or just NG+ and on from NG

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cyberventurer posted:

I have a bow but it's not poisoned, and I only had 3 poison arrows on me. They aggroed as soon as the first one was hit but I didn't build up enough poison for it to take.

I just got by them, though. For some reason their AI kinda stalled out in between hits so I was able to roll, cast, roll, cast and pick them off. :v:

Got gud

Seriously though if you cant tank or spell, then you gotta cheese with poison. I find the magic number on poison knives/arrows/strikes is 4. Stock up at Gavlan

Bleed knives can be good too since if you reach the buildup meter the damage is instantaneous

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure because I tested it as Sunbro and could only summon in ng plus. Same with blood bro etc

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Okay, so I don't care if this is rehashing the same old thought, because gently caress. I loving hate the Shrine of Amana. Like, really, really hate.

Yes, I know. Bring a bow (which wouldn't help since I have 5 Dex). Bring a torch. Whatever. It's a pain in the rear end and I hate it, even moreso, somehow, in my second playthrough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

When I went through the Shrine I was predominantly a STR character, but I had a lovely shortbow and 999 wooden arrows for pulling enemies I didn't feel confident fighting in a group. It wasn't hard to just snipe them, you end up tanking a hit or two but it's nothing a lifegem won't cure. Tedious, but not hard. You don't need some super bow or poison arrows or anything, though that would help obviously.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Asehujiko posted:

Hey, a giant dragon skeleton. Hey a moving giant dragon skeleton that can't bet targeted, has no boss music or boss bar, is he friendly? If so that would be a really cool NPC to pu- BOOM he launched his own head at the ground next to me from across the hall, instantly killing me. Same with the Ogres that burst through the doors.

Subverted in Dark Souls 2, where the giant skeletal dragon and cyclops ogre that is the first thing that killed you turn out to actually be bad guys.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Alternatively you could try bottlenecking the dragon priests in the hut doorways though if you retreat you risk harming the milfinitos.

or getting hosed in the rear end if you didn't open the other door

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Seriously dude, when a giant dragon skeleton looks at you, opens its mouth, and start shaking what do you think it's going to do, barf candy at you? Where would the candy even come from it doesn't even have a stomach

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Graviija posted:

Okay, so I don't care if this is rehashing the same old thought, because gently caress. I loving hate the Shrine of Amana. Like, really, really hate.

Yes, I know. Bring a bow (which wouldn't help since I have 5 Dex). Bring a torch. Whatever. It's a pain in the rear end and I hate it, even moreso, somehow, in my second playthrough.

Torches don't even help, because while they let you see the floor, they also aggro every loving lizard on a 500km radius.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Asehujiko posted:

Having finished the game, here are my main thoughts:

-gently caress shrine of Amana. Yes, blah, blah, arrows and poo poo, you're a boring nerd and telepath/gamefaqs reader who brought a bow because you're so clever and is intentionally going to misread every single of my arguments as me finding the place too difficult. Killing the casters with ranged attacks does not change the fact that an entire zone consisting of slowing floors is just loving TEDIOUS to travel through. This place would have been fine if the water level had been 50cm lower, which would have made the puzzle on how to deal with each of the casters without agroing too many and getting overwhelmed actually interesting instead of a boring slog that after the second invisible pitfall I stabbed the lizards next to the bonfire and bought a bunch of poison arrows from Gavlan with their souls. Straying off the main path also results in possibly running into a pile of curse jars that have their giggle silenced by the sound of the player moving through the water and their faces turned downwards so they're not even recognizable as curse jars until the meter appears on screen and fills up 5 times faster than usual, in slowing water, which is a dumb cheapshot.

-On the same note, Aldia's Keep. Hey a giant dragon skeleton. Hey a moving giant dragon skeleton that can't bet targeted, has no boss music or boss bar, is he friendly? If so that would be a really cool NPC to pu- BOOM he launched his own head at the ground next to me from across the hall, instantly killing me. Same with the Ogres that burst through the doors. I avoided the trap doors in IK because "door with flames coming around it leading into an active furnace = crispy adventurer" is a sound chain of logic. "door in a place where all enemies are locked up in cages = inexplicably uncaged ogre waiting on the far side to gank me" is not. Said ogres also have the grating ability to faceplant into the ground two rolls away from me, then teleport me into their mouth, chew on my full set of Havel's for a bit and then kill me anyway.

-Bosses(and in later areas, regular enemies too) felt a bit hit and miss as to whether they'd even acknowledge my armoured brick playstyle, ignoring my shield completely, their first hit taking me to 10% in my underpants or 40% in my Havel's, or just oneshotting me regardless of what I'm wearing(Ancient Dragon). In Dark Souls 1 and the first half of this game, the tools of a tanky character are my shield and armour with combat decision-making revolving around when to facetank something and conserve stamina for other things like damage(4 kings is a good example), when to block everything the boss throws at me and retaliate when he runs out of stamina first(Ornstein p1), how to manage said stamina and health and not be caught with one of the bars empty(everywhere, with Artorias being relatively difficult and the most fun) and when it's just better to conserve both resources and not be in the path of something that would surely drain them both(Gaping Dragon, Smough). The later parts of dark souls 2 however, gives the choices "spellcaster" "dodgy melee" "dodgy melee, but crippled", Vendrick, the Chasm everything and the giants being the worst offenders. Conversely, the Guardian Dragon is one of my favourite fights moveset wise because he has a mix between attacks that are best left to my Ring of Restoration(fireball), attacks that can and should be blocked(bites/tail swipes), attacks that can be blocked in case of emergency but are better avoided with positioning(fire breaths) and attacks that are clearly unblockable with the tradeoff of being easier to avoid(stomps).

-A lot of areas feel more like straight corridors with a bonfire on one end and a boss on the other. The two places that avoid this the most are Forest of the Fallen Giants and the Lost Bastille and are all the better for it with their entire wings dedicated to sidequesting, felt very reminiscent of the upper half of the Undead Burg, which also had and a ladder, jump or hidden passage to discover behind every stack of crates. Compare to Truncated RectanglesDrangleic Castle, where sidepaths are almost completely limited to items being placed in corners not within direct LoS of the door.

Overall, I'd rate this game about equal to the previous one, with most of the improvements being technical in nature(like going from having to reinstall a fan patch four times to get around the fact that the game does not recognize my wired xbox360 controller to having to use a small autohotkey script to get around the fact that the game does not recognize my wired xbox360 controller) but taking a few steps back in terms of gameplay, especially late game.

Bolded part is loving hilarious to me. Sorry your inability to adjust your playstyle to the environment didn't work out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I got a laugh at the cyclops thing. There was a message by the door warning me not to do it and everything but I just had to know.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cowcaster posted:

Seriously dude, when a giant dragon skeleton looks at you, opens its mouth, and start shaking what do you think it's going to do, barf candy at you? Where would the candy even come from it doesn't even have a stomach

You do have to admit that it is kind of a cheap shot, though. If you don't immediately run underneath it, or back into the hallway, you get one-shot. I never got killed by it myself, but the first time I went through there, I survived pretty much through sheer luck.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got a laugh at the cyclops thing. There was a message by the door warning me not to do it and everything but I just had to know.

I hope texture modding ends up being a thing so there can be Randy Savage textures for the hippogres.

Broken Cog posted:

You do have to admit that it is kind of a cheap shot, though. If you don't immediately run underneath it, or back into the hallway, you get one-shot. I never got killed by it myself, but the first time I went through there, I survived pretty much through sheer luck.

And I died the first time. Not a big deal. It's also not "immediately;" he shakes and moves around for quite a bit before lunging, giving you plenty of time to move forward or back.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Regardless of whether Shrine of Amana is easy or hard it isn't very fun, in my opinion. It's just a straight up unenjoyable level.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Question, this is my second playthrough, 1st time I pulled the lever, this time i got my first mission from navlaan. Laddersmith Gilligan is kind of a poo poo so I dont mind killing him but what about the others? Is there a way to give him evidence without actually doing the deed? I bought the ladder thinking that would work but apparently it didnt

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Regardless of whether Shrine of Amana is easy or hard it isn't very fun, in my opinion. It's just a straight up unenjoyable level.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the lack of fun is caused by frustration, which is in turn a direct result of playing like a bad and being punished for it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Question, this is my second playthrough, 1st time I pulled the lever, this time i got my first mission from navlaan. Laddersmith Gilligan is kind of a poo poo so I dont mind killing him but what about the others? Is there a way to give him evidence without actually doing the deed? I bought the ladder thinking that would work but apparently it didnt

It should've. You sure you didn't dump it in your bottomless box or something?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Bizarrely, the easiest strategy to kill the cylopses (cylcopsi?) is throwing knives. They deal their full 169 damage every hit and you can just machine gun them out to drop them. gently caress trying to do those assholes normally.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Alan Smithee posted:

It should work, did you remember to talk to him while hollowed?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the lack of fun is caused by frustration, which is in turn a direct result of playing like a bad and being punished for it.

Ooooooor it could be because the level just isn't very fun nor interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I actually liked Shrine of Amana personally so I'm biased, but anytime someone complains about it I picture that youtube someone posted of the idiot in the Onion Helmet flailing his arms to a disco beat and waltzing around the Shrine of Amana while absolutely nothing can touch him. I mean, what's his secret?