Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Impossible-to-write message floating 3 feet off the ground by the bonfire in Majula, with a rating over 18,000. Good to see that old blatant Dark Souls hacking I remember from the first game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the lack of fun is caused by frustration, which is in turn a direct result of playing like a bad and being punished for it.
It's trivial if you just take a bow or snipe with spells but it isn't at all fun. I swear it's like any and all complaints regarding Dark Souls will inevitably just get a "no its becuse ur bad" in response regardless of what the complaint is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Regardless of whether Shrine of Amana is easy or hard it isn't very fun, in my opinion. It's just a straight up unenjoyable level.

It's pretty boring, not gonna lie. Water slowing you down doesn't help. Now, if they had brought back the giant enemy clams, aka best enemy in the series, maybe it would be a more interesting area. But nope, sleepy mutants (apparently they actually do things if you go in with a light, but why would you ever need a torch outside of the Gutter?) and sniper magicians. The only enemies that are even threatening are the guys with halberds. The rest are just annoying.

Broken Cog posted:

You do have to admit that it is kind of a cheap shot, though. If you don't immediately run underneath it, or back into the hallway, you get one-shot. I never got killed by it myself, but the first time I went through there, I survived pretty much through sheer luck.

There was a message on the floor saying "run straight through" when I did that part the first time so I survived. It was a cool animation. The image of someone trying to target it or holding up a shield and having it crash down on their head is hilarious to me.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Guys guys, Dark Souls is supposed to be hard which means nothing in the game is actually "bad", it's all about getting gud. It is literally impossible to make a game that claims to be hard bad because

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I mean, what's his secret?

Gross incandescence I believe. There's no other explanation here.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Cowcaster posted:

I actually liked Shrine of Amana personally so I'm biased, but anytime someone complains about it I picture that youtube someone posted of the idiot in the Onion Helmet flailing his arms to a disco beat and waltzing around the Shrine of Amana while absolutely nothing can touch him. I mean, what's his secret?

Swag.

Post-patch I myself like to savagely blitzpunch my way through most of Amana. I can't roll through spells in PvP thanks to wizard levels of lag, so I have to get my spellrolling rocks off in Shrine of Amana.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the lack of fun is caused by frustration, which is in turn a direct result of playing like a bad and being punished for it.

Being punished for mistakes is pretty much how the entire franchise works though. If you're up to the Shrine you're pretty clearly on-board with the idea that difficult things can be fun.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think even with the creators encouraging multiple playthroughs and bonfire ascetics, not being able to buy infinite amounts of twinkling titanite is dumb. They eventually fixed that with Dark souls 1, considering there's a plethora of unique items that required it. This one is no different, except they still leave it to luck drops in a zone that is mostly hated.

I also still think that no matter what, no area in this game can equal to the non-shortcut part of Lost Izalith, and Tomb of the Giants in the first.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I did Shrine of Anime with fists and without any ranged options. It's not that bad jesus christ. I then later on genocided the whole place for twinkling still as a melee going from the last bonfire to the first over and over.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cowcaster posted:

It should've. You sure you didn't dump it in your bottomless box or something?
I never use the bb. I have every single weapon i have ever picked up. Which tells you something about how long I need to scroll through things in the middle of a fight if my weapon breaks

Broken Cog posted:

It should work, did you remember to talk to him while hollowed?

This must be it. That's weird because I can talk to him regardless.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Impossible-to-write message floating 3 feet off the ground by the bonfire in Majula, with a rating over 18,000. Good to see that old blatant Dark Souls hacking I remember from the first game. :v:

That was there like 5 minutes after launch. You can jump on top of the Emerald lady and put it on her head. Not everything is hacking.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kild posted:

I did Shrine of Anime with fists and without any ranged options. It's not that bad jesus christ. I then later on genocided the whole place for twinkling still as a melee going from one the last bonfire to the first over and over.

Oh ok, that settles it poster Kild.

Shrine of Anime is not bad because you did it with just fists. The HARDEST build in the game.

*many goons build fist gimmicks as 30s boxers since dual cestus is incredibly strong*

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowcaster posted:

I actually liked Shrine of Amana personally so I'm biased, but anytime someone complains about it I picture that youtube someone posted of the idiot in the Onion Helmet flailing his arms to a disco beat and waltzing around the Shrine of Amana while absolutely nothing can touch him. I mean, what's his secret?

Captain Onion is pretty relevant. Myself, I find myself thinking of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyk71VRoUE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah on my first playthrough with all the griping about Shrine I imagined Anor Londo style narrow archway navigation and instead of archers you had casters sniping at you. Honestly I was a little disappointed it wasnt that

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Oh ok, that settles it poster Kild.

Shrine of Anime is not bad because you did it with just fits. The HARDEST build in the game.

*many goons build fist gimmicks as 30s boxers since dual cestus is incredibly strong*

So the weapon with least range doesn't matter when everyone is whining about HOW I HAD TO SPEND 400 POISON ARROWS ON THESE GOD drat CASTERS AND I SOMEHOW VEER SO OFF THE PATH I PLUNGE INTO WATER AND DIE.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's annoying because of the constant spam of attacks from those mages. The water monsters are nothing, the guys with hammers are poo poo and stagger easy - it's the drat casters sniping you from across the map thats freaking annoying.

If you can't see how this bothers people then you are blind.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

There are magic shields if you dont like rolling or ranging. If you dont like shields or rolling or ranging continue to keep dying

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

You don't even need to roll. You can take a slight step to the left and they'll miss you entirely. The arrows don't track you that well at all.

Now, the original version of the game I hear was a different story in that regard, but that was before the PC version, so.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It's annoying because of the constant spam of attacks from those mages. The water monsters are nothing, the guys with hammers are poo poo and stagger easy - it's the drat casters sniping you from across the map thats freaking annoying.

If you can't see how this bothers people then you are blind.

Those bolts are slow as gently caress and you can sprint past them, roll into them, or move 2 inches to the left. The Covestone mages are 10 times more annoying and they're not even that bad.

Heres a tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD448x8iitk#t=115

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
Shrine really isn't that bad though... The entire game is about overcoming obstacles. If your build gives your trouble with mages, you should consider changing something (at least temporarily) to deal with that. If you don't want to deal with dodging the blasts, then kill the mobs from ranged. If you don't want to deal with that, use a high magic resist shield. I had trouble there for all of 5 minutes on my first playthrough, before I made a Magic Magic Shield.

e:fb a million times.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alan Smithee posted:

There are magic shields if you dont like rolling or ranging. If you dont like shields or rolling or ranging continue to keep dying

Yeah, I hate everything so I just stopped playing at that point.

You know we can still not like aspects of the game while simultaneously enjoying everything else. DkS2 isn't a perfect game by any means.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The problem is that the entire game is basically just a series of corridors with monsters strewn in them, and Shrine of Anime happens to be a particularly sloggish corridor.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 13, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

You don't even need to roll. You can take a slight step to the left and they'll miss you entirely. The arrows don't track you that well at all.

Now, the original version of the game I hear was a different story in that regard, but that was before the PC version, so.

Actually a very good point. I honestly havent noticed a huge difference from the unpatched when I played it not that I have done a double blind study. I vaguely recall being able to run dodge that too

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I hate everything so I just stopped playing at that point.

You know we can still not like aspects of the game while simultaneously enjoying everything else. DkS2 isn't a perfect game by any means.
You know I can point out a slog's overstatedness without being an apologist right? There's plenty I don't like about DSII or even Amana and I still dont get the fuss

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It's not that I absolutely refused to use poison or extreme range. It's just half the people in this thread keep saying about how you must suck at the game if you can't close in on them and melee them all so I kept trying to do that because I felt bad cheesing them from long range last time. Obviously it has to be possible for people with no ranged options to clear it.

And I ended up having to do it again anyway. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can we all agree that Shrine can be not that difficult and ALSO STILL be annoying and bitch-worthy, at least?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

That Onion Bro link made me see a smiling face in the headgear and now I can't unsee it, which makes the video even better.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cyberventurer posted:

It's not that I absolutely refused to use poison or extreme range. It's just half the people in this thread keep saying about how you must suck at the game if you can't close in on them and melee them all so I kept trying to do that because I felt bad cheesing them from long range last time. Obviously it has to be possible for people with no ranged options to clear it.

And I ended up having to do it again anyway. :(

My first playthrough sucked, but every level first playthrough sucks. Forest sucked, Heide sucked, BLACK GULCH was my Amana but I'm sure a lot of you complaining about Amana probably thought it was a cake walk in the cake park

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

What am I missing about NG+ PVP? I just jumped into NG+ with my first character that was doing great and killing people in very few hits, though I did respec into full Dex and into pyromancy.

Before I jumped in, I got a +10 Espada Ropera and a +5 Warped Sword.

But of the 5 people I summoned in to duels, I could barely put in a dent in any of them. Like doing 100-200 damage per hit, and they didn't all look like they had heavy armor or anything.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

That was there like 5 minutes after launch. You can jump on top of the Emerald lady and put it on her head. Not everything is hacking.

It wasn't near any of the spots she stands on, and it was literally an impossible to write message, using one of the "______ ahead" templates with something from the 'musings' category, which is greyed out if you attempt it. (Not everyone is an idiot.)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Can we all agree that Shrine can be not that difficult and ALSO STILL be annoying and bitch-worthy, at least?

I must be some kind of weird mutant because 95% of the reasons people are giving as it being annoying and bitch-worthy are the same reasons I really liked it and the more I think about it the more I like it. You have to deal with a ton of poo poo being thrown at you! You need to be aggressive enough to overwhelm the casters, while being cautious enough not to get tackled by the water dudes. You need to balance your desire to beat the casters to a pulp against the hammerguys' desires to beat you to a pulp. You need to watch your footing! Also sometimes there's bipedal hippos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey, so if I'm bellbroing, all I need to do is wear the ring and I can be summoned anywhere, anytime? What about ratbroing, do I have to specifically hang out in the zone?

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Not everyone is an idiot.

Holy gently caress people in this thread are so whiny and hostile. I'm out.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

I'd like to believe he actually did the whole game this way. No stopping, just dancing his way to the end.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Hey, so if I'm bellbroing, all I need to do is wear the ring and I can be summoned anywhere, anytime? What about ratbroing, do I have to specifically hang out in the zone?

Yeah, ratbroing is basically reverse invasions. You force someone into your world as an invading phantom. So you need to be in the proper ratbro areas for it to work.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

It's pretty boring! The mages just snipe at you from out of range, the mutants are almost completely pointless and unthreatening, the one ogre can't even reach you if you decide to snipe it and the one moderately threatening enemy, the halberd guys, have no health and are easy to stunlock. Plus water isn't fun, there are those bugs that spit corrosive acid so you can't melee them, and the boss is a complete joke whose gimmick is to be unhurtable for a little bit to prolong an otherwise easy fight. The closest example in Dark Souls 1 would be Lost Izalith, another area with no challenge and a lame gimmick. Not even any titanite demon to knock you sideways this time.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone have tips for a low level pvp dex build? I liked the pvp better when I didn't have to deal with as much hex/sorcery etc so I'm making a new character to keep in the early game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

SynthOrange posted:

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, ratbroing is basically reverse invasions. You force someone into your world as an invading phantom. So you need to be in the proper ratbro areas for it to work.
To add on, you can check your covenant icon in the top left to see if you're available for the covenant PVP stuff. If it's glowing, then you're good to go. If not, you need to move or you're being invaded by something that isn't your intended target. Some places won't let you get bell invasion summoned, like Majula and the Belfry Sol bonfire area.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

You gotta be in Lost Bastille for Belfry Luna, or Iron Keep for Belfry Sol. Look in the upper left, if the covenant sign is flashing you're in the area for it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ulvirich posted:

You gotta be in Lost Bastille for Belfry Luna, or Iron Keep for Belfry Sol. Look in the upper left, if the covenant sign is flashing you're in the area for it.
You don't actually have to be in those areas. I've been summoned to Belfry Luna from Belfry Sol before, and the opposite. Being near them does increase your tendency to get summoned to the respective place, though. I've also been pulled from other areas, like Tseldora and the Gutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ulvirich posted:

Not even. Practically everywhere is fair game except for Majula.