Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

straw man posted:

One feature that hasn't gotten much discussion is the crafting minigame, which is quite sophisticated and fun - there's a "crafting table" with a small target on it. The goal is to move a point from the center of the table to the target. You get three "moves", which you choose from a menu, each move having a specific but slightly random distance and direction. If you hit the target, you get the "improved" version of the item you were crafting. Sometimes there are multiple targets.

Most engaging crafting gameplay I've seen since SWG, too.

It's kind of like golf. You start at the tee, and have 3 shots - and you can see where your shot will land before you take it. So you try and choose the 3 shots that will land in the hole. I love it.

Sometimes the target will be obscured by a fog of war, and finding it is trial and error, with a huge tradeskill exp bonus for discovering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Taear posted:

The worst part of an engineer is that you cannot unsummon your bots and I only fight things I actually have to fight, so your bot will be stuck in combat with something for the next hour until eventually it dies.
It's really stupid and exceptionally annoying.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure WoW and most other similar MMOs have made it so that pets don't draw aggro unless you're in combat, since the pathing AI is invariably going to have them wander past enemy groups and pull stuff you'd rather not deal with. It's kind of frustrating Wildstar doesn't do that, though at least engineer bots are easily resummoned when they do get ganked.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Taear posted:

The worst part of an engineer is that you cannot unsummon your bots and I only fight things I actually have to fight, so your bot will be stuck in combat with something for the next hour until eventually it dies.
It's really stupid and exceptionally annoying.

I think one cool thing about Wildstar that I've never seen in any games is limiting what you can put on your hotbar. I actually like that - in some things (eg: Rift) it's easy to get overwhelmed by skills and hard to know what's actually useful. In this I'm not thinking "oh poo poo what if I need to use X skill here for my rotation" because I cannot have it on my bar, so I only use what I can see right now.

You can unsummon your bots, it just isn't documented well. In the keybindings, it is Primary Pet Action Bar 3. (Note: 1 and 2 are attack and return, respectively.)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

KittyEmpress posted:

So, first hour and a half or so impression: Not all that amazing. Playing as an engineer, I got up to level 8. Everything took 5-6 hits with my basic to kill, and it took a good ~3 seconds for each basic shot to get off it felt like. Staying at range with anything that wants to be in melee is basically impossible, and circle strafing is god.

Overall it felt really slow, and the engineer's special mechanic (volatality) may have contributed to that, since I had to get 3-4 basic shots off before I could use one of my other skills. Might try an Esper later today, or maybe a spellslinger.

If you want to feel powerful during low level questing, try a stalker. I've only played one up to level 6 but hitting something from stealth with your first resource spender hits things for like 80% of their life.

I'm guessing damage evens out between the classes later on.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Manifest Dynasty posted:

You can unsummon your bots, it just isn't documented well. In the keybindings, it is Primary Pet Action Bar 3. (Note: 1 and 2 are attack and return, respectively.)

Is that not stop?

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Doublestep posted:

Is there a certain point where this starts happening? When I was doing weaponsmithing I just overloaded points on X stat until it said "1% chance to fail" and pressed Craft.

Maybe the minigame is new or architect-only?

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It's kind of like golf. You start at the tee, and have 3 shots - and you can see where your shot will land before you take it. So you try and choose the 3 shots that will land in the hole. I love it.

Sometimes the target will be obscured by a fog of war, and finding it is trial and error, with a huge tradeskill exp bonus for discovering it.

That's it - it's golf. I haven't seen that fog of war yet...

The listing fees on architect stuff are pretty prohibitive, at least for the apprentice tier. It's a good excuse to raise prices though

straw man fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 13, 2014

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
You can also unsummon your bots by clicking their portrait underneath your name (by default) and hovering over the targeted nameplate where a really tiny X will appear. It's really obtuse.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Are guilds by character or by account?

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

So are we pvp folks planing on Pergo?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Taear posted:

Is that not stop?

The third button on the bar is "stop." That key bind makes them disappear. There is also a 4 and 5 keybind I didn't bother to figure out. I assumed it was work in progress, but its still like that...

The crafting mini-game is determined by the tradeskill. If you are making gear with stats like weapons and armor, you do the thing with cores that you can overcharge for more stats/higher failure rate. If you are making things that don't have a stat budget (Architect, Technologist, Cooking) then you have the "Warmer/colder" coordinate crafting system.

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 13, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doublestep posted:

Is there a certain point where this starts happening? When I was doing weaponsmithing I just overloaded points on X stat until it said "1% chance to fail" and pressed Craft.
Weaponsmith (and I assume the three armor crafting tradeskills) use a different type of system.

You have X power, which is determined by the power core you're using along with your talents (weaponsmiths, for example, can reduce power consumption for weapon attachment crafting by 14%). I believe Technologists craft power cores, but you can buy the basic crap ones from vendors or get them from salvaging.

After you plop in the core, you will have a number of chips you put in which is dependent on the item you're making. Some have a random or fixed attribute that is automatically assigned with its own power consumption when you begin crafting. You cannot change this, and for the random attributes it becomes a question of how many resources to you want to consume before you roll the best stats (although not all items have random attributes).

A chip slot has three colors: red, green, and blue that correspond to different stats. Choosing a stat whose color doesn't match the slot will consume more power than a matching color. At first your stat options are limited, but as you go up the talent tree you unlock more stats.

Finally, for each of those chips you determine how much of that stat you want. You can up the stats as much as you like until you go over the power capacity (determined by the power core/talents), at which point you will have a chance for the craft to fail. At first this is low (1% or so), but it very quickly goes up until you are guaranteed to fail. Once you're happy with the stats, you press craft and cross your fingers if you have a chance to fail.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
TLDR Yea, each crafting skill has a different minigame which become progressively more intricate as you level up.

Also, guild is by character not by account

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't know if it's just my computer or the game is actually poorly optimized, but it's too bad it seems to play at a constant 24FPS even on lower settings, and doesn't improve on lowest. I am a sucker for housing, so I might potentially buy this game in a year or so when buying a disk isn't so expensive, just to play house maker.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Manifest Dynasty posted:

The third button on the bar is "stop." That key bind makes them disappear. There is also a 4 and 5 keybind I didn't bother to figure out. I assumed it was work in progress, but its still like that...
It's rumored that hitting Stop will often convince stray robots to warp back to you. I haven't tried since I switched to a new character to play out Open Beta.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CrashCat posted:

The problem is everyone has a "support" role and the assault role, so literally everyone could make use of two sets. You probably won't see most of the people go away from DPS but anyone could, which is going to make for some lovely loot arguments.

This is going to be a problem forever as long as 'DPS' is considered a role of its own.

Why people seem so scared of doing away with the 'DPS role' (effectively making every character either a tank, healer, or crowd control while still retaining the ability to do respectable DPS at the same time, so everyone is DPS and your group utility is defined by what else you bring) baffles me.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Because the majority of people (going by the queue times in every group finder ever) just want to DPS and not bother with any of that other stuff.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

CrashCat posted:

It's rumored that hitting Stop will often convince stray robots to warp back to you. I haven't tried since I switched to a new character to play out Open Beta.

This is definitely different behavior than the "Stop" command. They disappear every time. It seems that keybind 1 is attack, 2 is stop/return, 3 is dismiss, 4 is go to location, 5 and 6 are a mystery?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mattavist posted:

Because the majority of people (going by the queue times in every group finder ever) just want to DPS and not bother with any of that other stuff.

Which is why you let them DPS while also fulfilling a group role, which incidentally fixes the 'problem' of DPS players rolling on non-DPS gear.

Not interesting in getting into this argument again, just pointing out that as long as being 'just DPS' is an option you're going to have loot issues.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Where the hell do I get more AMPs?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Where the hell do I get more AMPs?

You can buy some from rep vendors in some zones. You can get others from random drops. The "Scavenged Supplies" box from some challenges seem to have AMPs, too.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

The pvp vendors in Thayd/Illium have a bunch of AMPs too. They don't cost much of the pvp currency, so you should be able to get them all after doing maybe 5-10 battlegrounds.

Why is AMP capitalised anyway? Is it an acronym?

hit button fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 13, 2014

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

AMP locations by class, faction, and zone. Maybe put this in the OP until some database is up and running with everything:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgXsGfQ7VISedDc0ODVSdVE0NG5DSjNrLXhYMXdTQ2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

All AMPs have a chance to drop in the world (for sure) and PvP boxes (I think).

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

FoolishLobster posted:

AMP locations by class, faction, and zone. Maybe put this in the OP until some database is up and running with everything:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgXsGfQ7VISedDc0ODVSdVE0NG5DSjNrLXhYMXdTQ2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

All AMPs have a chance to drop in the world (for sure) and PvP boxes (I think).

done

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Not interesting in getting into this argument again, just pointing out that as long as being 'just DPS' is an option you're going to have loot issues.

Individual loot rolls. Solved.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Will Wildstar do this? There's really no reason for an MMO to not give each player in the raid their own loot. Or another good method to do it is tokens as currency that you spend at an NPC in town. If Wildstar doesn't do it like this then i'll just avoid raids.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

So are we pvp folks planing on Pergo?

Looks like it?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There's really no reason for an MMO to not give each player in the raid their own loot.
Well unless you want to keep players suffering subscribed for months and months as the RNG passes them up. :v:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

I said come in! posted:

Will Wildstar do this? There's really no reason for an MMO to not give each player in the raid their own loot. Or another good method to do it is tokens as currency that you spend at an NPC in town. If Wildstar doesn't do it like this then i'll just avoid raids.

Hey now, if they are going to do the train wreck that is 40 person raiding, we shouldn't tie their hands with silly expectations of a sane loot system that doesn't generate tons of drama.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sedisp posted:

"My loot is just sucky <non-DPS> crap!"

Anyway, Esper feels weird after playing Medic. Having to basically root yourself to attacks is kind of clunky. Hopefully it's just a low-level thing but I find myself facetanking mobs with my light armor because it's not worth interrupting a telegraph unless I'm moving out of the red.

Oh man I just realized standing in the red is the new standing in the fire...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Asimo posted:

Well unless you want to keep players suffering subscribed for months and months as the RNG passes them up. :v:

WoW showed that this doesn't keep players subscribed. It just frustrates players and they quit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I said come in! posted:

They've said there will be a currency you earn, probably it'll end up being like WotLK era. They won't do individual loot for the raids since while it's great for pugging stuff like in LFR it will only hamper progression raiding.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Someone mind explaining what "progression raiding" means to this guy that's never played a real MMO?

I also see the terms "hardcore raiding" and "semi-hardcore raiding" and it seems all redundant because I don't know if there's an actual meaningful difference to this?

edit: patch notes are out

quote:

#Build 6677 General
Improved general network and server stability.
Fixed an issue where the EULA window wouldn’t be accepted properly.
Fixed an issue that would result in keybinds on mouse button 4 or 5 being ignored.
We have implemented more client improvements and optimizations.
Characters Items
Fixed an issue that caused certain pieces of gear to randomly roll different amounts of rune slots than intended.
Classes Medic
Devastator Probes - Fixed an issue where Medics could sometimes detonate other Medic's Devastator Probes depending on order of application.
Mending Probes - Mending probes will now stack 1 per caster rather than 1 per target.
Content Everstar Grove
Fixed issues with creature spawn rates in Living Batteries quest and the Guardian Curser challenge.
PvP General
Experience awards have been adjusted upwards for certain PvP scenarios.
Walatiki Temple
Fixed an issue with Moodie masks disappearing before they can be turned in.
Warplots
Fixed an issue where players weren't being immediately removed from the matchmaking queue upon logout.
Fixed an issue with rewards not being granted.
Dungeons Kel Voreth
Players at the Kel Voreth Front will now only see that area's in-game introduction cinematic once.
Economy
Switching between categories in the Auction UI with a search term entered will no longer show incorrect results.
Fixed issue with auctions not respecting faction lines.
User Interface
Added UI display and performance improvements.
Changed network info to display Ping data instead of latency.
Fixed incorrect UI mappings in Warplots build UI.
The ESC key will now close the "Switch User" and "Exit" countdown dialog.
Housing
Fixed an issue with purchasing house customizations that could result in the user being disconnected from the client.

That's all, link if you want formatting.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 13, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Progression raiding means a guild that worked exclusively on doing new content only. In World of Warcraft, I don't know now, but back in Wrath and before that, most guilds only worked on a handful of raid bosses at a time and went pretty slowly. The more serious raiding guilds ranged anywhere from only ever tackling new raid bosses each week to playing 12+ hours a day every single day and those were the hardcore raid guilds.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WarLocke posted:

"My loot is just sucky <non-DPS> crap!"

Anyway, Esper feels weird after playing Medic. Having to basically root yourself to attacks is kind of clunky. Hopefully it's just a low-level thing but I find myself facetanking mobs with my light armor because it's not worth interrupting a telegraph unless I'm moving out of the red.

Oh man I just realized standing in the red is the new standing in the fire...

For dungeons/raids this is as simple as selecting whether or not you want DPS or your off spec gear before the first boss or each time you win a loot roll.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Progression raiding means a guild that worked exclusively on doing new content only. In World of Warcraft, I don't know now, but back in Wrath and before that, most guilds only worked on a handful of raid bosses at a time and went pretty slowly. The more serious raiding guilds ranged anywhere from only ever tackling new raid bosses each week to playing 12+ hours a day every single day and those were the hardcore raid guilds.

Tip of the iceberg as well. Progression means they're racing other guilds for server firsts, world rankings, etc. Which invariably leads to massive poopsocking and screening just as stringent or more than most job interviews. Going over raid performance with 3rd party apps and spreadsheeting your character to maximize tanking/dps/healing. Grinding whatever material for food/potion buffs supplies for their next raid. Maximizing your character so it's as powerful without raid gear as it can be.

Literally treat the game as a 2nd job.

Semi hard core to me is having the same "serious business" approach to raiding, but they have some sort of common sense and refuse to spend more than in a damned video game than is healthy for them.

All of this leads to some of the shittiest people and communities ever seen in the online gaming space.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They've said there will be a currency you earn, probably it'll end up being like WotLK era. They won't do individual loot for the raids since while it's great for pugging stuff like in LFR it will only hamper progression raiding.

How exactly does it hamper progression raiding? If anything, I'd imagine it makes it easier because you don't have to set up some way to distribute loot and can just focus on character min-maxing, raid performance, and all the spreadsheet stuff.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Progression raiding means there is a boss that kills your raid every time.

When the raiders learn the fight, and farm up enough gear from the bosses that they can kill, they "progress" to the next boss.

The next boss often kills them every time as well.

Progression raiding just means raiders who don't throw their hands up in the air and quit when they wipe on a boss.

A casual raiding guild doing normal mode bosses in WoW can be a progression raiding guild. (i.e. there are bosses the raid can't kill, and they work at it until they get the kill).

Progression is how raiding is generally supposed to work. Looking For Raid in WoW is a bit of an exception, as it not supposed to be progression raiding, but "tourist mode". Which is super popular, and that popularity makes it an equally valid and good game mode to include in an MMO.

Individual loot came out of Looking For Raid, but many raids more or less already simulated it by just having an "everyone who can use it /roll" based loot system. Many "elite" raiders don't like it because in theory the ability to choose who gets the loot means that you can stack gear on the characters that will help the raid the most the fastest. For some guilds, this actually works as advertised. In most guilds it usually means the guild leadership or officers end up being nerds with power and hand the loot out to the 'inner circle' first. Or they use "dragon kill points" which is problematic as gently caress, because it basically leads to collusion or point hording to chase after best in slot gear while not taking moderate upgrades and putting them to good use.

Individual loot honestly works best for the majority of members in the majority of raiding guilds. For 99% of raiders, actually learning to play their class better will have 10x the effect of any min/maxing of the loot distribution.

Having the option to do group loot is a reasonable thing to include in a game, but it is a pretty bad default system.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Cyclomatic posted:

Individual loot came out of Looking For Raid, but many raids more or less already simulated it by just having an "everyone who can use it /roll" based loot system. Many "elite" raiders don't like it because in theory the ability to choose who gets the loot means that you can stack gear on the characters that will help the raid the most the fastest. For some guilds, this actually works as advertised. In most guilds it usually means the guild leadership or officers end up being nerds with power and hand the loot out to the 'inner circle' first. Or they use "dragon kill points" which is problematic as gently caress, because it basically leads to collusion or point hording to chase after best in slot gear while not taking moderate upgrades and putting them to good use.

And then they do this exact same thing for weeks and months just so they can do the same thing again when the next raid comes out.

I do not understand raiders at all. At what point is this fun?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Sedisp posted:

And then they do this exact same thing for weeks and months just so they can do the same thing again when the next raid comes out.

Same way doing a puzzle is fun. And it's a multiplayer puzzle too. It's also not for everyone, but quite a few people like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sedisp posted:

It's fun if you have people you enjoy raiding with. I did it for several years in WoW and about a year in Rift because I enjoyed shooting the poo poo with the people I was dying to bosses with. If you don't like/don't talk to your group then it's a lot more dull.

• Locked thread