Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rarity posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a worse piece of strategy than Abi's 'fake having an idol' strategy :stare:

She's neither the first nor the last haven't you seen one or five of those by now?

quote:

e: Wait how did she win immunity I don't even what

Caramoan casting spoiler, in case you care:

From Malcolm's bio:

Personal Claim to Fame: I spent 3X days on an island with Abi Maria, and I'm legally sane according to the State of California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Propaganda Machine posted:

She's neither the first nor the last haven't you seen one or five of those by now?

Yes but those ones were legitimately smart plays. This one involved passing off a 'move to the final stage of the immunity challenge' note off as a hidden idol clue despite knowing that everyone would know the nature of the note once they got to the immunity challenge.

:ughh:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The dumbest moves and lies to me are always the ones that either serve no real purpose or can unravel easily. There's something weird about these games that makes people think lying is almost a prerequisite and you have to do it randomly. Abi Marie's was stupid because it was transparent, came from a toxic person, and unraveled immediately. I thought Morgan's lie at the start of this season was similar. She wasn't content to lie about not getting a clue like Garrett, she went further and claimed she got all their stuff. The second anyone talked to someone from another tribe that was bound to unravel, and sure enough it came out as soon as they swapped tribes. It just so happend Morgan had played such a bad game and proven herself so unpleasant already that it didn't really change anything. Jefra and Jeremiah already pretty much hated her.

With things like the JT or Erik moves, they're dumb and naive but at least we know what they hoped to gain from it. Like Cirie choosing to draw rocks they were gambles they knew came with a risk but they hoped there'd be a worthwhile reward or thought it was worth it in the long termbecause of the position they were in. It was silly for them to think it would work out but the chain of events is clear enough to see. Morgan and Abi Marie's lies are just short sighted, stupidity.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 11, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

I thought Morgan's lie at the start of this season was similar. She wasn't content to lie about not getting a clue like Garrett, she went further and claimed she got all their stuff. The second anyone talked to someone from another tribe that was bound to unravel, and sure enough it came out as soon as they swapped tribes. It just so happend Morgan had played such a bad game and proven herself so unpleasant already that it didn't really change anything. Jefra and Jeremiah already pretty much hated her.

I thought she played that well, actually. The lie worked in the meantime, and it turned some heads at the first merge but Alexis was booted, so who cares? Jaefra was on the opposing alliance, so, who cares? It ingratiated her to the tribe straight off the bat, and didn't plant any of that idol paranoia. I don't think Morgan played a fabulous game, but I liked that lie. It might even have been the best lie of this season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Learned some stuff from watching Tasha on Parvati's show. Umm let's see, she said Kass's flip was really stupid because at that time, she thought she was very close with Kass, that she talked with Kass about strategy all the time, and that she would have brought her to the end. She also said Jefra's job after that reward they were on together was to go back and get Kass or Trish to flip, but that if only Spencer had told anyone he had the immunity idol, Jefra could have still stayed with them even without getting anyone to flip with her and then they could've used the idol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just confused Jefra and Alexis. My bad.

I just think it was an unnecessary lie that gained her nothing. She could have come up with something much smaller like Garrett (I actually don't even remember what Garrett said but that's probably a good sign that it was simple and forgettable) did that wouldn't unravel the second anyone asked another tribe about their stuff or the choice. Obviously it didn't really matter in the end for a lot of reasons but I just think its stupid to tell wasteful lies that can only really serve to make you seem more untrustworthy. Morgan just survived its reveal because the Brains needed her and she was so poisoned with the Beauties she was the safest bet.

Survivor is NOT "Lying: The Game" no matter how much people say it is. Lying obviously serves a purpose and you'll probably have to do it before you're done, and you should be keenly aware others are doing it. But your lies should be chosen carefully because they can have consequences.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Jeremiah and Morgan got along though and moved past Jeremiah not voting with her and Brice. He never hated her.

feralesque
Dec 1, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

"while the monsters were swarming me..." just isn't likely to leave a very good impression with me even if its followed with something like "was actually nice."

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with not liking kids? I'm not just talking about Spencer, but in general. It's like "hey, that guy said he doesn't like kids, he must suck as a person...or suck more than I already thought he did". Some people just aren't into kids, and I wasn't shocked or particularly interested in the way that played out. Woo seems to have the kind of laid back likes kids and chillin' personality, and Spencer doesn't. So what? It's hardly a surprising from a guy Spencers age and personality type, who has other things to focus on and probably won't be interested much in kids until later in life. I think people just seem to get a bit shocked and indignant when people admit such things, like how dare they.
Though I must say Courtney Yates pulled it off better at the China reunion show when she said she hated kids.

Of course, if people already dislike Spencer I can see why his lack of enthusiasm over kids would add another string to the hate Spencer bow, especially if you're someone who finds not liking kids to be a character flaw.
I'm a Spencer fan, but I announce regularly that I'm not a kid person and I'm a 30+ woman, so his opinion on kids is only really interesting in context of how people are reacting.

I'm also actually a bit surprised by the Woo love around here. I've found him to be a complete strategic non-entity, hopeless imho, and not particularly entertaining. I had such high hopes for him pre-game, I thought he's be fun and at least pull out a fair few individual immunities, but no he's disappointed on every level. Sure, he seems nice enough but he is bad at Survivor and doesn't really have what I consider a compelling personality. His best moment was stealing Spencers clue, but otherwise I'm not feeling the Woo love.

As for the FTC, assuming it's a final three I'd love to see a Spencer/Tony/Kass FTC. Largely because they all have egos and I think watching those three argue over who is best would be hilarious. I think I'd be happy with a Tony or Spencer win, and I'd love to see Kass get told how much she sucks repeatedly but still not think she's lost until the final votes are read.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Woo seems like a great guy and watching him can be entertaining but him winning would perhaps be the most boring outcome to this season. It's not like Fabio where he was the only person left who wasn't flat out terrible. Kass or Trish winning would be kind of underwhelming, though I think Trish has played fairly smart and Kass winning would be kind of weirdly hilarious.

Though at this point I kind of fear a Tony win, as entertaining has he can be. I just feel like he's the sort of guy who would never shut up about it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Adus posted:

Though at this point I kind of fear a Tony win, as entertaining has he can be. I just feel like he's the sort of guy who would never shut up about it.

Yes, I'm sure you, Adus, would have to put up with him talking about it all the time

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

feralesque posted:

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with not liking kids? I'm not just talking about Spencer, but in general.
LOL, if you don't like kids you're a monster.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adus posted:

I got on the Tony :bandwagon: at some point mid-season, but with that awful, awful idol, it just feels like a Tony win would come with an asterisk, and any over win (besides, erm, Kass) would have the added gravitas of triumph over Tony.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I still think it's amusing that Kass thinks she's running the game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
That's really the reason I hope Kass sticks around until the end, because Kass believes her own bullshit and her response to the jury questions will be awesome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just finished Phillippines and I'm really happy with the winner cause they were my favourite through the whole show. It was a pretty good season all in all, though I would have appreciated a couple more really big blindsides. Now heading on to Caramoan, looking forward to this one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Some actual contenders for "dumbest and most terrible move in Survivor history":
-JT giving Russell his idol in HvV
-Erik giving away immunity and subsequently getting voted out in Micronesia
-The male tribe volunteering to go to TC in One World
-The four bros in said male tribe getting smug about their 4 person minority alliance in One World
-Ozzy volunteering to go to RI as a strategic move
-Any time a tribe has ever thrown a challenge

Kass' move isn't even in the same ballpark as these things.

Every time I see one of these lists I get really sad that nobody ever mentions Ian basically forfeiting a million dollars so Tom will be his friend again. Maybe it's becauase it's from a really old season but I don't think anything has ever topped that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ahahahahaha oh Francesca

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Rarity posted:

Ahahahahaha oh Francesca

They need to do Survivor: Redemption Island II and make Philip and Francesqua the leaders of their tribes.

No they don't.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
edit: Internet went out and when I reconnected the next day it finished double posting I guess.

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 12, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Murmur Twin posted:

They need to do Survivor: Redemption Island II and make Philip and Francesqua the leaders of their tribes.

No they don't.

They need to do a Survivor season of everyone who got voted out first. Francesca gets to be on both tribes.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Piell posted:

They need to do a Survivor season of everyone who got voted out first. Francesca gets to be on both tribes.

Just do the Exile Island thing where they had to pick the 2 tribes and the odd person isn't out they (*gasp*) go to exile, and then join the losing tribe after the first tribal council.

That way when nobody picks Francesca, she won't be voted out first.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Every time I see one of these lists I get really sad that nobody ever mentions Ian basically forfeiting a million dollars so Tom will be his friend again. Maybe it's becauase it's from a really old season but I don't think anything has ever topped that.

Oh man, I almost forgot about that one. That's definitely up there.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Ian is the best hero this show has ever seen. He felt so bad about playing the game, that he essentially quit playing to make up for betraying the trust of his friends. That poo poo was beautiful. I like to think that he values his loyalty more than a million bucks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Ian is one of the biggest dumbasses in Survivor history. You don't get broken up over Monopoly or Risk. It's a drat game, play to win and be friends after. Anyone who can't get over how a game turned out probably wasn't worth being friends with anyway.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I think that challenge broke him a little. I kinda doubt he would have made the same decision with a clear head. Could be wrong of course.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Survivor is not a game about making friends (though being friendly can often be a good strategy). Survivor is a game about winning a million dollars. If you aren't willing to play the game, then you shouldn't go on Survivor and take a spot that could go to someone who actually wants to try to win.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They were 12 hours into that challenge, weren't they? So on top of their already-meagre Survivor rations, that was 12 hours of zero food, zero water, zero movement. People go nuts at end game even without extenuating circumstances like that. I absolutely believe that Ian was delirious, which took his half-chub for Katie and turned it into the most raging boner this side of the San Fernando Valley.

I mostly liked Poque's dream All-star list a page or two back, not least of all because Ian was on it.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
I think the real issue with Survivor right now is probably the payout structure(if it is correct they say 1mil,200-100k for 1,2,3). It just encourages people to play for a place rather than to try to win in a seemingly hopeless situation and I think the game would be better off if say all jury+f2,3 received say 50k and had nothing to lose by going out 9th/10th etc.

Would certainly mean alot more crazy tribals and idol schemes for good tv.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Teckiwi posted:

I think the real issue with Survivor right now is probably the payout structure(if it is correct they say 1mil,200-100k for 1,2,3). It just encourages people to play for a place rather than to try to win in a seemingly hopeless situation and I think the game would be better off if say all jury+f2,3 received say 50k and had nothing to lose by going out 9th/10th etc.

Would certainly mean alot more crazy tribals and idol schemes for good tv.

except for all the people who decide they have no chance at winning, and like the sound of two weeks eating bbq and drinking beer on a tropical island so pull out/check out at F10

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BGrifter posted:

Ian is one of the biggest dumbasses in Survivor history. You don't get broken up over Monopoly or Risk. It's a drat game, play to win and be friends after. Anyone who can't get over how a game turned out probably wasn't worth being friends with anyway.

I always thought Tom was a huge dick for guilt-tripping Ian for the last couple of episodes, and I bet Ian would never have forfeited without that influence.

e: Reynold is the only newbie from Caramoan who's interesting at all. And thank god Shamar's gone. He was a fatter, uselesser Osten.

e2: Holy poo poo Brandon :stonk:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 13, 2014

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Reynold is the best.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Osten quit, Shamar had a crazy bad infected eye

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think Malcolm's double immunity idol ploy is my favourite strategic play ever. That was absolutely glorious :allears:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

I think Malcolm's double immunity idol ploy is my favourite strategic play ever. That was absolutely glorious :allears:

It was an accident that was never meant to happen though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

It was an accident that was never meant to happen though

How do you mean?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

How do you mean?

Malcolm meant it to be a false flag play and flip at least one person to vote for Phillip because he knew the other alliance was splitting votes (because they knew he had a one, but not two idols), and one flip meant none of the Three Amigos would go home and Phillip would go without needing to play the idols

Then Eddie played his idol and, according to Malcolm, forced his hand into playing the idol. which still doesn't really make any logical sense and Malcolm has said numerous time he shouldn't have played his idol just because Eddie did and he knew that they didn't need to

Essentially that play flushed two idols Malcolm didn't want to flush nor need to flush, and as you will soon see this is a grave, grave mistake Malcolm made

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

He wasted two idols on taking out Phillip.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In fairness I was talking more about the reveal than the fact they ended up getting played. And it looked like Eddie at least did need to play his idol because he got 4 votes and only Erik flipped so it woulda been a tie.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yeah, regardless of the outcome that TC was some killer television. And that's all I really ask of Survivor ultimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pinterest Mom posted:

He wasted two idols on taking out Phillip.

That's not entirely fair. At least from the outside Phillip appeared to be the glue holding that alliance together. What transpired was Malcolm's worst case scenario and still left him with the hope the alliance would fracture with Phillip gone.

Sure he was acting on bad information, but as desperation moves to shake up the game go it wasn't a bad call. Better to roll the dice than limp along two weeks and go home without any real shot at winning.

• Locked thread