Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I went ahead and made a video to show off be a dick hopefully help show the proper timing on dodging through Shrine of Amana! Both in bold roll and brisk strut modes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZOjAEABn9Q

And yeah, I think two people have to have the same option on Name Engraved Ring to see each other at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I went ahead and made a video to show off be a dick hopefully help show the proper timing on dodging through Shrine of Amana! Both in bold roll and brisk strut modes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZOjAEABn9Q

This is pretty good. I especially like how you made, y'know, smart use of objects to deal with the water dude in front of the one caster with the cyclops.

Regarding that cyclops, though: I've never had it actually come close to attacking me during my runs through that area. At most it'll just kinda amble over like, "hi everyone!", watch all the frantic dodging, splashing, and pretty lights for a few seconds, and then wander off like "oh sorry you guys are busy I'll go away :smith:"

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I can't help but think soul memory system massively hosed up certain elements of the multiplayer. I've been in the Blue Sentinels forever and haven't been summoned once (ring is on).

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah, don't you guys know? Just because an area is hard unless you use this one weird trick, it's actually good? Yeah you say you got through it and didn't have fun, but you're bad. Based on these qualities, I can say you are wrong.

Also, mace Drake Guardians? Uh, hi wrong guy, are you using a play style you enjoy? Actually, fuckface, its the wrong one. These guys are working as intended. If you were touched by the Dark Soul like I was, you would know that. You would also know you were bad. Hope this helps, Semper poison arrows and hexes fi.

Relin posted:

I can't help but think soul memory system massively hosed up certain elements of the multiplayer. I've been in the Blue Sentinels forever and haven't been summoned once (ring is on).

You won't get much action because most people that need the help won't talk to the warrior, or haven't been invaded so they don't know what he's going on about. You need a perfect planetary alignment of self-admittedly bad player and low-level invader meeting up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Last month I played through Dark Souls for the first time and now, after a few weeks' break, I've decided to dive into DS2. Probably due to a combination of getting rusty after not playing for a while, and the mechanics being slightly different, but I died an embarrassing amount in the first couple areas. But after a few hours I feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things. Just beat the first boss in the forest without dying. Not much of a feat considering how slow and obvious his attacks are but still at least it means I haven't completely lost my touch.

Regarding invasions - is it strange that I haven't had one yet? I was kind of expecting that to be more of a presence than it was for me in Dark Souls since more people are playing this game now. I dunno if maybe my connection is wonky or if the invasion mechanic just isn't that prevalent. I do see tons of messages, bloodstains, and phantoms though so at least that's fun.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Mazed posted:

Regarding that cyclops, though: I've never had it actually come close to attacking me during my runs through that area. At most it'll just kinda amble over like, "hi everyone!", watch all the frantic dodging, splashing, and pretty lights for a few seconds, and then wander off like "oh sorry you guys are busy I'll go away :smith:"

I think my first time through, I ended up going off on that weird secret walkway dock thing off to the side. I forget what's over there, but the hippoclops totally came out of nowhere and murdered the poo poo out of me. I've never really been forced to deal with him going the "main" way, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Relin posted:

Blue Sentinels require someone in Way of the Blue to be invaded.

Wait, can someone in Way of Blue just head to a belltower to get summons?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tried out a faith character, it's amusing having a small weapon hit for more then double what my ultra mega club/greatsword 45 strength guy was hitting for in pvp thanks to infusions.

At early belltower pvp I used a estoc, now at the iron bridge been enjoying the defender greatsword and a infused grand lance that criticals for over 2000, now that I'm at 99 dragonscales what other faith weapons would I enjoy using in pvp?
Got 20ish strength and dex and 4 int but I can raise any of it to try out a good weapon, I'm considering the scythe.

Also is profound still good in pvp against kiting hex spammers? or is it too short a range/leaves you to vulnerable to use it? was considering spicing it down to 10 int and using it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 13, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay finally got to the Bastille, so happy with my life. Went back to the forest stature area just to poke around and fight the boss I passed by on the platform (Pursuer), he wasnt there. Found him behind another locked door, but he's really loving tough and it doesnt seem like anyone wants to be summoned there. Any adive beyone what the wiki says?

The wiki also says there is a room in NG+ where you have to fight two of them at the same time? How the gently caress...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Blue Sentinels require someone in Way of the Blue to be invaded.

Wait, can someone in Way of Blue just head to a belltower to get summons?

I think it's just red phantom invasions but maybe. I've definitely seen a blue cop or two in the belfries. Soul memory has nothing to do with blue sentinel/red phantom problems, that's all from nobody staying in the Way of Blue/cracked eye orbs being very rare.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hippo cyclopses are pretty adorable with how big and goofy they are. They just flail around and fall all over themselves trying to hit you.

Though they stop being funny when they pick you up and decapitate you :stonk:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Regy Rusty posted:

Regarding invasions - is it strange that I haven't had one yet? I was kind of expecting that to be more of a presence than it was for me in Dark Souls since more people are playing this game now. I dunno if maybe my connection is wonky or if the invasion mechanic just isn't that prevalent. I do see tons of messages, bloodstains, and phantoms though so at least that's fun.

I didn't have my first invasion until maybe halfway through the game, on PS3 or PC. They're still pretty sparse.

Unless I'm in the Belltower. Then I'm invaded halfway through the door.

Internet Kraken posted:

The hippo cyclopses are pretty adorable with how big and goofy they are. They just flail around and fall all over themselves trying to hit you.

Though they stop being funny when they pick you up and decapitate you :stonk:

Edit: Buhhh he's just a hungry baby

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 13, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Relin posted:

That's not just the Soul Memory. Actually that's probably the smallest issue with Blue Sentinel summons. Basically, you'd need to meet the following criteria to make a Blue Sentinel summon work:

1) A Host needs to be invaded. This is fairly rare since there is no unlimited invasion item, or consumable that is sold before NG+ -and- you get no rewards for invasions

2) The host needs to be in the (most likely) first covenant of the game, that provides them with little to no actual advantages or activities. And since the invasion covenant is later in the game, the host is likely to be later in the game as well, and they've probably already encountered other covenants to join.

3) You actually need to matchmake and load in before the host or the invader die. At least this is much faster than on the consoles.

4) And finally, you need the stars to align perfectly, and have everyone in compatible Soul Memory ranges too.

so yeah, gently caress Blue Sentinel summons. but only because red invasions are hosed up enough that there's no need for Blue Sentinel summons. I seem to average about 1 red invasion per 50h or so.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Well it took a bit of work but the dickwraith dream isn't dead.

This is Mennas. He has a set of gear I can actually win arena fights with. He's only SM 650000. This means I can invade tons of people in NG in a bunch of areas. People complain about there being no invasions before NG+. Well, Mennas is going to bring them. At least until I invade some hacker that gives me a million souls and fucks up everything.

I still need to spice down silence to complete the cosplay though.

A bit late, but: You can backup your saves (User/Appdata/DarkSoulsII) and replace your save with the backup whenever your SM gets too high.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Regy Rusty posted:

Outside of a few specific areas Invasions are very rare in NG.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aw that's dumb that they gimped invasions like that. I was looking forward to getting slaughtered by people much much better than me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

StashAugustine posted:

The Ruin Sentinels in Drangleic respawn? :negative:

You can genocide them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've gotten summoned a few times as a blue sentinel, usually when I wasnt paying attention. The first time I was 'Huh? What's going on? Someone must have touched my summon sign. Okay, let's kill some monsters, wait I cant hit them. World Master killed? Ooooooooh.'

The second time, the world master was dead before I finished loading.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Average Bear posted:

Yeah, don't you guys know? Just because an area is hard unless you use this one weird trick, it's actually good? Yeah you say you got through it and didn't have fun, but you're bad. Based on these qualities, I can say you are wrong.

Also, mace Drake Guardians? Uh, hi wrong guy, are you using a play style you enjoy? Actually, fuckface, its the wrong one. These guys are working as intended. If you were touched by the Dark Soul like I was, you would know that. You would also know you were bad. Hope this helps, Semper poison arrows and hexes fi.
Yeah, I agree, "don't get hit by the blue lights" was a really weird trick that didn't come to me logically at all either. I saw them and was like, "gently caress yes some blue lights I'm gonna get me some of those!". It was especially jarring because my playstyle up until that point had pretty much revolved around getting hit by blue lights.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Regy Rusty posted:

Aw that's dumb that they gimped invasions like that. I was looking forward to getting slaughtered by people much much better than me.

People were really upset they got invaded by red phantoms that were way overgeared once in a blue moon, so they gimped the invasion system entirely :geno:

Of course, that scenario is still possible. The only thing stopping you from making an overgeared low SM dickwraith is how willing you are to rush through areas and only fight bosses. Plus equipment level is barely tied to SM, so its not like someone couldn't just crush you because they knew where to go to maximize their gear as quickly as possible.

I haven't been invaded by a red spirit once outside of the PvP hotspots. It sucks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Regy Rusty posted:

There are multiple zones dedicated to that if you want.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Ratbroing for the first time (in the doors of pharros), it turns out camouflage mixed with sunlight spear is really hilariously mean. What a great dumb statue you can turn into and inch up behind people with.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Also, there's a much bigger pool of people to invade compared to DS1 so naturally invasions will feel more sparse to individual people.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, I agree, "don't get hit by the blue lights" was a really weird trick that didn't come to me logically at all either. I saw them and was like, "gently caress yes some blue lights I'm gonna get me some of those!". It was especially jarring because my playstyle up until that point had pretty much revolved around getting hit by blue lights.

You cannot reliably dodge the two mages who will bombard you near the cave entrance. You will get hit. If you don't, the two archdrakes will swarm you and you will probably get hit by them. If you can survive that fight while in water well good job, but if you can't see where people's frustrations are coming from its not their fault.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Average Bear posted:

You cannot reliably dodge the two mages who will bombard you near the cave entrance. You will get hit. If you don't, the two archdrakes will swarm you and you will probably get hit by them. If you can survive that fight while in water well good job, but if you can't see where people's frustrations are coming from its not their fault.

Yes you can. Also, the archdrakes have infinite aggro rage so you can just draw them back and fight them in the safety of cover. If you keep trying to fight out in the open then of course you're gonna get destroyed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Average Bear posted:

It's almost like there is TERRAIN of some kind placed around the very area you describe.

But what could it MEAN?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Average Bear posted:

Wow that sounds terrible, getting hit by enemies and such. I can't believe they have enemies that hit you in there! That must be the source of people's frustration you're talking about, and here I thought it was just lovely players not unable to cope with the concept of varying one's approach.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes you can. Also, the archdrakes have infinite aggro rage so you can just draw them back and fight them in the safety of cover. If you keep trying to fight out in the open then of course you're gonna get destroyed.

Cheesing behind cover is really the only reliable way to do the level. Dodging magic missiles from behind is pretty hard with the unreliable sound cues.

edit: so many people going at me at once its like amana all over again

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Shrine of ADTRW

Orv
May 4, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Cheesing behind cover is really the only reliable way to do the level. Dodging magic missiles from behind is pretty hard with the unreliable sound cues.

They are mad at you because, like a staggering number of mechanics complaints in this thread, you are provably wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Average Bear posted:

"Cheesing" behind cover.

Most dishonorabu baka gaijins not fighting in the open according to the bushido code of glorious Nippon? A SHAMEFUL DISPLAY.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What I'm saying is that there's no point to approaching the last mages will rolls like everyone says. Why not just do it with range if you're going to retreat anyway?

Orv posted:

They are mad at you because, like a staggering number of mechanics complaints in this thread, you are provably wrong.

Which ones? I've seen mostly genuine complaints, like corpse swinging weapon breaking, wonky hitboxes (wide rear end overhead swings, ogre grab), or Soul Memory just being bad. Only "provably wrong" one I disagreed with was giving reds estus.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 13, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Average Bear posted:

It'd be hard to dodge them from behind if you're unnecessarily rolling all the time like Action Hero McYoutube up there but it's even easier to avoid them than that. Just walk slightly perpendicular to where they're coming from and they'll just whiff by you of their own accord. They just don't track well at all.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 13, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Average Bear posted:

What I'm saying is that there's no point to approaching the last mages will rolls like everyone says. Why not just do it with range if you're going to retreat anyway?

Because you're not a character with ranged options? Its not like retreating is hard. I have no idea how you could make it that far and not realize you don't have to fight fair. Standing out in the open and fighting enemies where you encounter them is stupid. Making a strategic retreat so you can fight the enemies properly is common sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Average Bear posted:

Which ones? I've seen mostly genuine complaints, like corpse swinging weapon breaking, wonky hitboxes (wide rear end overhead swings, ogre grab), or Soul Memory just being bad. Only "provably wrong" one I disagreed with was giving reds estus.

Look man I'm not saying you've shamed your ancestors

But at the same time I kind of am.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Look man I'm not saying you've shamed your ancestors

But at the same time I kind of am.
Speaking of rolls you could probably stand to slow yours

Orv
May 4, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Mechanics is maybe a poor word for what I'm trying to describe. There are a lot of complaints in the thread about various parts of the game that can be summed up with "You do not understand what is happening/how this happens/what the specific functions of X are". Hitboxes and stuff aren't what I mean by this more stuff like boss complaints that show a lack of understanding about X boss mechanic or whatever.

Shrine of Amana is one of these except the problem is lack of understanding how to walk left a foot every six seconds.

E: Ugh, I sound like I'm saying 'git gud', goddamnit.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 13, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fat roll every time, all the time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You think that's bad, you should see PVP magic

that is some bullshit right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Shrine of Anime was like the fade in Dragon's Age. Fun the first time, piss boring the next.

Also the blue magic balls have hilariously small hitboxes, I was actually able to fatroll under them. Give that a shot.

The only part I had to cheese was that one area with two casters and a healer. Kind of wished there was a bit more cover for that section.

I'm not going to play the "git gud" card here. My only advice is to try things out of the box and see what works for you. Dodge, block or snipe or do all three, try experimenting for what works for you.

(except gently caress the hippo cyclops. Arrow-poisoned that fucker in a heartbeat.)