Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

TARDISman posted:

But that is what a caricature is, an exaggeration of some characteristics and an oversimplification of others. Propaganda cartoons are in essence, caricatures.
Either way, it's a stupid as hell anime thing that was spawned from whatever hole thought Hetalia was a good thing, so whatever.

Don't get me started on Hetalia. The Hetalia fandom is literally the only fandom I might consider even possibly being worse than bronies, just on the offensiveness of the material alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TARDISman posted:

I blame loving Hetalia

TARDISman posted:

Either way, it's a stupid as hell anime thing that was spawned from whatever hole thought Hetalia was a good thing, so whatever.

I did very good here. My stent in LP has taught me one thing, if you see an odd word that relates to something generally spawned on the internet, DO NOT GOOGLE IT.

Hetalia shall forever remain a mystery to me. Unlike furries, bronies, and other sorts of internet oddities such as creepy Sonic/whatever fanfiction...all brought to my attention by the wonderful world of LP.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

What the hell is going on there. :stare:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BMS posted:

I did very good here. My stent in LP has taught me one thing, if you see an odd word that relates to something generally spawned on the internet, DO NOT GOOGLE IT.

Hetalia shall forever remain a mystery to me. Unlike furries, bronies, and other sorts of internet oddities such as creepy Sonic/whatever fanfiction...all brought to my attention by the wonderful world of LP.

From what I understand it's basically just what you've seen here in the thread but more comprehensive.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Attestant posted:

Not shown here, but Gamingo made his own fan content, and decided to...do this, and post it on SA.

Thankfully, he's gone, now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Attestant posted:

Remember that guy posting the mock final fantasy videos in the Gamingo mod challenge thread? Looks like it was just a Gamingo puppet account.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Attestant posted:

I'm sure someone can summarize it better, but apparently Gamingo got an alternate account when Geop first issued his Mod Challenge, and now he's trying to do his MASTERFUL REVEAL that he was one of the not-Gamingo-entries on his own challenge thread? Or something. I couldn't understand his voice even at a high volume and then the beeping started.

RSCNyx posted:

Not shown here, but Gamingo made his own fan content, and decided to...do this, and post it on SA.

Thankfully, he's gone, now.
Until he feels like using ten more bucks, I guess. But maybe the novelty's gone. At least.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
[5/12/2014 3:23:10 AM] Richard Gamingo: Hi Dish. Just breezing by for a moment. I am hoping you will enjoy this thread I posted and give me an upvote at reddit. It will really help the idea get off the ground. I hope you think the video and the whole weird scenario is funny, too. I am reaching out to the few people I know to try and get some momentum. Here's the thread. http://www.reddit.com/r/trees/comments/25c9we/entrepreneur_richard_gamingo_changes_science/

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Man, he really is a huge attention whore.

But the biggest question though, there's a trees sub-reddit?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's apparently TCC for reddit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Are you sure this isn't a huge satire that hews so close to what it's satirizing that it goes over everyone's heads, like Verhoven's Starship Troopers?

In ANY EVENT: Regarding off-site LPs, SupergreatFriend of Deadly Premonition fame has been doing on-again, off-again LPs like crazy, he just posts them to his Youtube channel willy-nilly. Don't know why he doesn't mention any of them here, most of them are decent.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
When you have a satire so subtle as to be undetectable that is what we in the business call "a failure", and also "just an example of the thing it says it's satirizing."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

His "offical" LP of MODE has been very on again off again mostly because of the nature of having to use ancient rear end technology to record, plus he has his stream participate in making choices so there's the random factor in that.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

ReturnOfFable posted:

Just want to take a moment to applaud you guys for not devolving into a poo poo-flinging fest that has become the LP Blasting Zone. Happy to see intelligent conversation about LP can still happen here.

I use reddit and SA but I like SA more because of our ability to have rational discussions about things, unlike on reddit where everyone that doesn't share opinions downvote each others comments to oblivion and therefore it usually just shows a one-sided argument

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Patter Song posted:

Slowbeef: since you and Diabetus are now RPing terrible video game Kickstarters, can I call your attention to this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel

(Non-pony-related, despite the title)

It's one of the most horrific things I've seen and it met its funding goal.

With a name like "My Little Dictator", I was expecting it to be more like this.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Princess Sheepy posted:

With a name like "My Little Dictator", I was expecting it to be more like this.

I too was expecting a pony version of World War II. If only for Horse Hitler.

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013

Samiz posted:

I use reddit and SA but I like SA more because of our ability to have rational discussions about things, unlike on reddit where everyone that doesn't share opinions downvote each others comments to oblivion and therefore it usually just shows a one-sided argument

loving gross; when people equate the upvote/downvote system to opinions then all that's left is lovely generic "hey can't we all get along?" posts in discussions and arguments, which gets people nowhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speedball posted:

Are you sure this isn't a huge satire that hews so close to what it's satirizing that it goes over everyone's heads, like Verhoven's Starship Troopers?

In ANY EVENT: Regarding off-site LPs, SupergreatFriend of Deadly Premonition fame has been doing on-again, off-again LPs like crazy, he just posts them to his Youtube channel willy-nilly. Don't know why he doesn't mention any of them here, most of them are decent.

The Bully Demise Cycle is art.

Masked Faceless
Oct 7, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odghkzry9qM What if it turns out that Gamingo is an elaborate jigsaw knock off?

Arcanite
Apr 27, 2013
Gamingo deleted the only thing he's ever done in his life that people received positively? Hmm. Not quite the business decision I'd have made.

Arcanite fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 13, 2014

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
So I don't watch Pewdiepie, but someone on /r/letsplay mentioned he was doing a Dark Souls 2 LP. Not surprisingly he dies a lot - but what's interesting to me is that the videos are highly edited death montages basically.

It has to take 2-3 hours recording for one episode - which means he's (probably) not doing it just for the views/money. He could record a lot more episodes of a different game in the same time period. I don't really have a point, just thought the time commitment was interesting.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

unfair posted:

It has to take 2-3 hours recording for one episode - which means he's (probably) not doing it just for the views/money. He could record a lot more episodes of a different game in the same time period. I don't really have a point, just thought the time commitment was interesting.

He doesn't edit his own poo poo. Also counterpoint: Happy Wheels.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

slowbeef posted:

He doesn't edit his own poo poo. Counterpoint: Happy Wheels.

I can imagine the person editing his stuff hitting their head on their desk every time they have to hear his voice...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

ApeHawk posted:

I can imagine the person editing his stuff hitting their head on their desk every time they have to hear his voice...

People. Maker pretty much does everything for him now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which, yes, makes him a technical employee and star for the Walt Disney Company.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Which, yes, makes him a technical employee and star for the Walt Disney Company.

PewDiePie's girlfriend is actually going to be the next Disney Princess.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

slowbeef posted:

People. Maker pretty much does everything for him now.

This is what blows me away the most, you get to the point where you don't even HAVE to try or care in the slightest, everything gets handed to you. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even actually playing the games and just records his face and has people throw it together. What's even the point anymore?

I'm almost insulted if it weren't for the fact I haven't met a single person who's actually liked him.

It's just that I actually enjoy editing and I enjoy learning how to make videos better and getting feedback but yet the people who don't give a poo poo and just want to cash in get all the praise and dick sucking in the world. Also blows me away that bigger YouTubers get caught and called out for the asinine and downright disrespectful things they do all the time and yet people will always insist they are good people for dumb reasons like "they donated to Charity".

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Bluebomberimo posted:

This is what blows me away the most, you get to the point where you don't even HAVE to try or care in the slightest, everything gets handed to you. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even actually playing the games and just records his face and has people throw it together. What's even the point anymore?

I'm almost insulted if it weren't for the fact I haven't met a single person who's actually liked him.

It's just that I actually enjoy editing and I enjoy learning how to make videos better and getting feedback but yet the people who don't give a poo poo and just want to cash in get all the praise and dick sucking in the world. Also blows me away that bigger YouTubers get caught and called out for the asinine and downright disrespectful things they do all the time and yet people will always insist they are good people for dumb reasons like "they donated to Charity".

This is what blows me away with the Game Grumps scenario. They don't even pretend to care about the videogames anymore, its a podcast of elementary grade school humor with videogames attached for no reason whatsoever. Even their paraphernalia have nothing to do with videogames, just the "personality"

A friend of mine sat me down to watch an episode of their DaS2 playthrough. Not even joking, its 12 minutes of screaming and poop jokes. They only time they discuss the game is when they make the message "Visions of butts." Why even pass it off as videogames anymore if you have 1.5 MILLION viewers that will eat it up without question?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cause they got something that works and are too afraid to change it and lose viewers, I'd assume.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

Genocyber posted:

lose viewers

More like lose some of that precious ad revenue, that's really all it comes down to with most of those people. Best example is people getting mad about ID claims and the revenue going to the people who made the drat game instead of themselves.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Speaking of the Game Grumps DS2 LP they've uploaded the first episode of their second session. Having read the feedback they received they practiced some and looked up stuff so they would somewhat know what they're doing.

This is the thumbnail for that video:

:allears:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/youtube-star-toby-turner-turns-703364

Well there you go folks. Tobuscus is turning his animated series into three books.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ReturnOfFable posted:

Well there you go folks. Tobuscus is turning his animated series into three books.

Tobuscus posted:

Reading is what people did before YouTube and I'm into retro stuff!

Even if that's supposed to be a joke, it's a really loving stupid one.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ReturnOfFable posted:

Toby glared at Gabe, furrowing his brow and puffing up his chest he retorted "Farts,Farts,Farts,Farts,Farts,Farts,Farts,Farts,Farts,Farts"
~ an excerpt from Tobuscus Adventures

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is super silly but is Tobuscus the same person as Total Biscuit?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

No, Total Biscuit has the potential to be entertaining. Tobuscus is PewDiePie, but slightly more family friendly.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TARDISman posted:

No, Total Biscuit has the potential to be entertaining. Tobuscus is PewDiePie, but slightly more family friendly.

However, he is Toby Turner, the LPer who needs a bodyguard and has somehow upset DSP so much that there are several vlogs where all DSP does is hate on Tobuscus.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

However, he is Toby Turner, the LPer who needs a bodyguard and has somehow upset DSP so much that there are several vlogs where all DSP does is hate on Tobuscus.

What's this about a bodyguard, how did he upset DSP considering DSP freaks out at everybody?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh god no.

TotalBiscuit:

Tobuscus:

And no, I didn't intentionally grab wildly different versions to make a point, they really are that different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cerony posted:

This is the thumbnail for that video:

:allears:

This is actually pretty funny.

Lazyfire posted:

Isn't he also the creator of The Annoying Orange?

• Locked thread