Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok, so outside of like that arc in Dragon Ball Multiverse, is there anything in the manga or anime that indicates Nail is powerful compared to the Z Fighters? I'm assuming he's stronger than the other Namek warriors that show up, but since they all got one-shotted by Dodoria and Zarbon that's nothing to go by. No indication is made about what the rules are for Namekian fusion powerups, so you can't go by that logically for Piccolo's fusion powerup. The only thing you have is him getting owned by first form Freeza. So seriously, am I missing something here?

Quick check shows the Namekian warriors Dodoria and Zarbon fought were as strong as Saiyan Saga Vegeta, Nail almost being a match for Recoome. So, yeah, they were drat strong even in comparison to the Saiyans, discounting Oozarus.

Woops, misread that first one. The Namekians were Nappa-tier, not Vegeta-tier. Still ain't much to scoff at.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Caros posted:

Except that before the tournament or any of their followup training Trunks is training at 150x gravity with some difficulty. Even Ginyu probably would have been pasted by that.

That is a hole in my theory, I do admit. However I have to handwave it away as a simple inconsistency since the only conceivable ways that Trunks and Goten could only be Freeza level during the Yo! special is if they somehow drastically regressed in power immediately after Buu was defeated or they were never that strong to begin with without Gotenks at SSj3. To me them not being very powerful to begin with makes more sense.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 13, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Esroc posted:

That is a hole in my theory, I do admit. However I have to handwave it away as a simple inconsistency since the only conceivable ways that Trunks and Goten could only be Freeza level during the Yo! special is if they somehow drastically regressed in power immediately after Buu was defeated or they were never that strong to begin with without Gotenks at SSj3. To me them not being very powerful to begin with makes more sense.

In their Super Saiyan forms both Goten and Trunks are capable of fighting at the same general level of Gohan and Vegeta. They are clearly weaker, but Gohan nearly shits himself when Goten in his non super saiyan form nearly beans him with a rock from close up. If their basic level was anywhere near freeza's minions they wouldn't be able to spar with Gohan or Vegeta, even if the latter were holding back as best they were able.

Goten and Trunks, when super saiyan, seem to be roughly at the level of Goku when he first transformed. They've got a lot of raw power, but they really are just very strong amateurs. On top of that they don't really get any stronger during the Buu saga at all. They get a little bit of training, but almost all of it is related to the two of them fusing for the massive power boost. It wouldn't strike me at all odd if they are roughly at the same level post buu saga as they were pre buu saga.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

StrifeHira posted:

Quick check shows the Namekian warriors Dodoria and Zarbon fought were as strong as Saiyan Saga Vegeta, Nail almost being a match for Recoome. So, yeah, they were drat strong even in comparison to the Saiyans, discounting Oozarus.

Woops, misread that first one. The Namekians were Nappa-tier, not Vegeta-tier. Still ain't much to scoff at.

Where did you find this outside out of some year 2000 geocities site or a daizenshuu? Because there is no indication of that at all and Zarbon at least treats those guys as scrubs

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

Where did you find this outside out of some year 2000 geocities site or a daizenshuu? Because there is no indication of that at all and Zarbon at least treats those guys as scrubs

For the Namekian fighters, it's in both anime and manga (from Dodoria's scouter) as 3,000.
For Nail, it's the same source (this time Freeza's scouter) at 42,000.

Comparatively, Zarbon and Dodoria are at 23,000 and 22,000 respectively, Daizenshuu 7 being the source.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
And what did we learn about power levels...?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cardboard Box A posted:

That they're a reliable form of measuring a persons fighting capacity?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

They're an encyclopedia we must all refer to for our glorious fanfiction?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cardboard Box A posted:

Something something over nine thousand?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

For the Saiyan and Freeza sagas at least they're a decent way of showing what kind of tier of sheer strength and battle power someone has. Not a total statement on fighting ability, though; if those Namekian warriors fought Nappa, they may be slightly physically weaker but they'd probably be able to hold their own due to other abilities (not the least of which being regeneration), or then you have techniques like Krillin's Kienzan, or even going all the way back to Dragon Ball itself you have the Mafuba or Devilmite Beam that can effectively bypass those tiers.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
power levels is my waifu

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
No, we learned that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMSiVn6vpQ

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Oh poo poo new DBZA out!

http://teamfourstar.com/video/2488/

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I need an adult. :stare:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Is it weird that I just got this weird feeling that I had to look in the DBZ thread right this very instant? And low and the behold a new DBZA?

Why yes it is a weird thing Zorak go watch your abridged anime

e: yo the Androids in the Abridged series own, gently caress the haters

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I didn't think I'd be scared of Cell after the age of 12. :stare:

e: Also, Gohan getting increasingly resentful of his dad. :laffo:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

"Hello... friend." was... more unnerving than it had any right to be.

Kami and Piccolo's argument was great though. Oh I can only wait for the backseat fighting to come. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That one felt a little weak to me although the ending was pretty good. A bit too straightfaced and not particularly funny.

Admittedly they've only got so much to work with and this is a pretty dull point in the story where not a lot happens and most of the big money characters are MIA.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Neo_Crimson posted:

e: Also, Gohan getting increasingly resentful of his dad. :laffo:

I told you. I tooooold you.

The Gohan meltdown is coming :getin:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not too many laughs in this one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bowmore posted:

Not too many laughs in this one.

That's probably gonna come up more and more. This stage of the Cell series isn't really laugh worthy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

They've been setting up for his Super Saiyan 2 transformation since halfway through the first season and when it finally pays off it's going to be oh so amazing. :getin:

Got a kick out of Detective Gohan in this one.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I told you. I tooooold you.

You tried to give this job to Goku! Goku! He doesn't even look after his kid! I look after his kid!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

This bit was pretty flat and boring in the anime also. Only so much you can do when the source material has a boring stretch.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Vegeta desperately rationalizing his loss was pretty great.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean yeah this Cell. He's kinda creepy. Kinda hard to work around that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That's probably gonna come up more and more. This stage of the Cell series isn't really laugh worthy.
hey it was still very well done and had some funny moments. Leagues above the anime in terms of quality.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Plus it's really hard to make Cell's preferred method of murder funny.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
They did the absolute right thing with Cell. Amp up the creep to a million, makes it a nice contrast to how all of the other villains have been portrayed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bowmore posted:

hey it was still very well done and had some funny moments. Leagues above the anime in terms of quality.

Yeah and their version of Cell was legitimately creepy as all hell so

I'mma call it a win

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I also could have sworn that Piccolo fused with Kami after his run in with Cell. That's how I remembered it at least.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Testekill posted:

I also could have sworn that Piccolo fused with Kami after his run in with Cell. That's how I remembered it at least.

Nope. He never ran into him. He was originally going to fuse with Kami to take out the droids.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Testekill posted:

No, it happened in that sequence. I remember seeing ghost kami yelling in pain when cell stabs his arm

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Oh, man. I'm hyped up for Cell. They're going to be hard pressed to top Freeza but I think they're on the right track. That whole scene was creepy as hell.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Testekill posted:

That was entirely filler so they just cut it out.

EDIT: V Wait are we talking about Piccolo's encounter or Kami?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Nope. He never ran into him. He was originally going to fuse with Kami to take out the droids.

Huh, my memory is failing me already at the age of 25.

ConanThe3rd posted:

No, it happened in that sequence. I remember seeing ghost kami yelling in pain when cell stabs his arm

BlitzBlast posted:

That was entirely filler so they just cut it out.

Okay, now I'm just confused.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Esroc posted:

Oh, man. I'm hyped up for Cell. They're going to be hard pressed to top Freeza but I think they're on the right track. That whole scene was creepy as hell.

I get the feeling that Perfect Cell is going to end up feeling a lot like Freeza, which is fine because that's about how it was in the original, but I think starting off with super-creepy Cell like this to put some distance between Perfect Cell and Freeza is a great way to keep people from accusing them of only being able to write villains one way.

That said, if I'm wrong on their Perfect Cell I'll be delighted. Just not sure where else they could take him.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I get the feeling that Perfect Cell is going to end up feeling a lot like Freeza, which is fine because that's about how it was in the original, but I think starting off with super-creepy Cell like this to put some distance between Perfect Cell and Freeza is a great way to keep people from accusing them of only being able to write villains one way.

That said, if I'm wrong on their Perfect Cell I'll be delighted. Just not sure where else they could take him.

If that is their plan I'm okay with it. It'd be like Freeza's Second Coming which I'm totally on board for.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Let's face it gonna happen. Perfect Cell was one smug rear end gently caress. And I can't wait.

Takahata is doing a really good job as Cell.

We already know his Perfect Cell voice, it's gonna be glorious.

edit: I just realized something about Krillin.

He's so gonna get chew out for letting 18 live. hahaha

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just want to see how they handle the second form.

• Locked thread