Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I love this season, they're running super long stop boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GedOhOsCr7o

Edit: I also feel like I'm always on time for slaloms but whenever I watch video I don't start turning for the next cone until way too late.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

same course, slower (and bluer) car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxX65Fn_7Y4

I also messed around with datalogging on the first run of the day to see how it would turn out. I still need to figure out how to make the throttle sensor more meaningful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1iI8FF9rg

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Muffinpox posted:

I love this season, they're running super long stop boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GedOhOsCr7o

Edit: I also feel like I'm always on time for slaloms but whenever I watch video I don't start turning for the next cone until way too late.

I laughed harder than I should have when I saw your windshield wipers go off.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

bsamu posted:

same course, slower (and bluer) car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxX65Fn_7Y4

I also messed around with datalogging on the first run of the day to see how it would turn out. I still need to figure out how to make the throttle sensor more meaningful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1iI8FF9rg

If you don't mind me asking, what data acq system was that?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

The solution in some cases is to volunteer to help make it better. Most regions I've participated in have run a much tighter ship than what you describe here, even the Kalispel group which was pretty casual managed to get 8-10 runs for everyone and only eat up 6-7 hours of the day or less (although they had a pretty light turnout typically).

Phoenix typically runs 110-130 competition entries with 4-5 runs, and 45-60 time only entries with another 4-5 runs and is off-site by 5pm (although start for equipment setup is 6am) with registration closing at 8:15'ish I think and first car out at 9.

Make contact with the organizers and see if you can help out. Volunteer to make a pre-registration site or whatever you are capable of doing to assist. Once you are seen as an asset to the club, then you can start working to change the format to make the events better for everyone.

You'd be surprised. I attempted to help at Sacramento SCCA when I moved there from Minnesota. They were nothing but jackasses regarding even attempts to help, much less any suggestions. I was at the time, a Safety Steward, that made it even worse because of some of the terrible course design from a safety perspective.
I did help out with Fresno SCCA (great people) and to a lesser extent San Francisco (they really run a great operation and didn't really need much help), but it really, really put me off helping anyone.
Also, someday, Sacramento SCCA is going to bankrupt the gently caress out of the region when some fat white guy in a corvette takes out a group of "non-participants."

Muffinpox posted:

Some instructor once told me to try to hit the cone with your rear wheel. It works.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Brigdh posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what data acq system was that?

I'm using the app Torque for android for the logging (along with a bluetooth OBD2 reader). You can poll any sensors available on your car, the fewer you choose the quicker each cycle is. In this case I went for RPM, speed, and relative accelerator position. There's a few different sensors for the throttle so I'm going to test a few of them to see which one seems best for something like this. While logging it keeps track of your GPS position as well from the phone. Video is from a gopro, and the overlay with the logged data is done using Race Render 3.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

bsamu posted:

I'm using the app Torque for android for the logging (along with a bluetooth OBD2 reader). You can poll any sensors available on your car, the fewer you choose the quicker each cycle is. In this case I went for RPM, speed, and relative accelerator position. There's a few different sensors for the throttle so I'm going to test a few of them to see which one seems best for something like this. While logging it keeps track of your GPS position as well from the phone. Video is from a gopro, and the overlay with the logged data is done using Race Render 3.

Ah, race render was what I hadn't recognized. Thanks

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

nm posted:

You'd be surprised. I attempted to help at Sacramento SCCA when I moved there from Minnesota. They were nothing but jackasses regarding even attempts to help, much less any suggestions. I was at the time, a Safety Steward, that made it even worse because of some of the terrible course design from a safety perspective.
I did help out with Fresno SCCA (great people) and to a lesser extent San Francisco (they really run a great operation and didn't really need much help), but it really, really put me off helping anyone.
Also, someday, Sacramento SCCA is going to bankrupt the gently caress out of the region when some fat white guy in a corvette takes out a group of "non-participants."

It's unfortunate, but yea, some groups are pretty inbred and have no desire to change. I've run into a bit of that at a couple of smaller clubs I've traveled to, but luckily it was just a visit, so I just did my best to enjoy the day and crossed my fingers that they would remain lucky in the safety department in the future.

On the other hand, many clubs would be ecstatic if someone wandered up and volunteered to help, and you never know until you make the effort.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Watching those last two videos makes me want to join a different division. I get to run in the tiniest of parking lots with poles everywhere :(

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Jacking this from phone, I really want to see someone film an autox run from a drone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV0xFNpv-aA

There's a guy in our local chapter who fools around with them.

I don't have any video, but I think he plans to bring it to some events this year.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

First event, second run. After which the battery in the gopro died. Because I left it on after the first run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4fSIH63CHs

Thoughts for the day: 15x9's with 225's turn in SO MUCH BETTER than 205's on a 15x6, I'm early on a lot of gates as a result. RS3's are all like grip grip grip gone, oh you wanted some warning? Na, can't have that. However, they're really easy to control in a slide, very predictable and responsive once they've let go. Really sloppy run, but overall a good day. Way too much fun catching the slide near the start of the video.

RS3's vs Rivals: Rivals felt worse, but talked more. RS3's feel excellent, but talk less. No idea how much of that is due to 15x6 w/ 205's (rivals) vs 15x9 w/ 225 (RS3s).

Any recommendations on tire pressure for the RS3's? I was running 32PSI hot, which felt great and was rolling over right to the tip of the triangle on the sidewall, but I lack a tire pyrometer.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Rain arrived, but I managed 1st in STC over the Impreza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvXSqPoi3rQ

Robert Thorne showed up and ruined my pax score (or reminded me I'm average)

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 12, 2014

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

First event, second run. After which the battery in the gopro died. Because I left it on after the first run.

Your hands are still look a bit busy friend. You look like your too far away from the steering wheel as well. Is it possible to tilt the bucket more forward?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Your hands are still look a bit busy friend. You look like your too far away from the steering wheel as well. Is it possible to tilt the bucket more forward?

2nd run of the season, they are definitely busy, but calmed down near the end of the day. Seat is basically at a 90 degree already, and I can put the base of my wrist on top of the wheel. I could move the seat 1/2" closer, which I'm considering. I'm running a fixed side-mount (I pass a broomstick test now!) but closer means less wheel/knees clearance. I can put my foot on the floor behind the brake pedal without lifting my hip. At this point if I want to change anything I'm probably looking at an aftermarket steering wheel to bring it a little closer towards me & a narrower diameter.

e: The weird half crossover thing I'm doing is a hold over from when I couldn't actually get my hand between the wheel and my leg. Will work to get rid of that, as I actually can now.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 12, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're having egress issues, a Daikei Boss and a NRG QR will move the wheel closer to you.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Thoughts for the day: 15x9's with 225's turn in SO MUCH BETTER than 205's on a 15x6, I'm early on a lot of gates as a result. RS3's are all like grip grip grip gone, oh you wanted some warning? Na, can't have that. However, they're really easy to control in a slide, very predictable and responsive once they've let go. Really sloppy run, but overall a good day. Way too much fun catching the slide near the start of the video.

RS3's vs Rivals: Rivals felt worse, but talked more. RS3's feel excellent, but talk less. No idea how much of that is due to 15x6 w/ 205's (rivals) vs 15x9 w/ 225 (RS3s).

Any recommendations on tire pressure for the RS3's? I was running 32PSI hot, which felt great and was rolling over right to the tip of the triangle on the sidewall, but I lack a tire pyrometer.

Start with 40psi cold and drop in 2-3psi chunks until you find the pressure where the tire gets squishy and vague to you. Right above that pressure is where you want to be.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How much does your car weight and what spring rates?

I ran my R-S3s on 15x9s, 600F/375R, RB hollow front @ 30psi cold and bled down if it was too squirrely.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Is anyone going to be attending the Round 7 SF Bay Area Autocross?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I entered an AutoX on the oval in Peterborough, ended up coming 6th in raw times and 4th overall, but then again it was a pretty low key event. I'll see how much I have actually improved at the next PITL event. I did come first in my class (of two entries :haw:). Sunbelt/Pacific Coast guys, do you run AutoX/Track day all year?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

animeliker posted:

I entered an AutoX on the oval in Peterborough, ended up coming 6th in raw times and 4th overall, but then again it was a pretty low key event. I'll see how much I have actually improved at the next PITL event. I did come first in my class (of two entries :haw:). Sunbelt/Pacific Coast guys, do you run AutoX/Track day all year?

In AZ there are events all year round, although the Phoenix SCCA group dials it back in the summer and either runs a couple very early limited entry events, night events, or special events out of town where the weather is cooler when a site can be found.

PCA runs all year I think, but don't bet any money on that one.

The Tucson and Sierra Vista SCCA groups run their regular schedule all year round.

Track - NASA and SCCA run year round, but probably make similar adjustments in the summer (haven't run any track events in several years so don't pay attention to what they are doing now).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

animeliker posted:

I entered an AutoX on the oval in Peterborough, ended up coming 6th in raw times and 4th overall, but then again it was a pretty low key event. I'll see how much I have actually improved at the next PITL event.

What car? Been to PITL before?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Wet runs are the best. Overlaying sail on wet runs is not as great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpA9qFMjoA

I've gotten it out of my system now though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Tire buying for the Mazda 2.
Do I buy something a bit less sticky like ZIIs in 195/50/15 and get the gear advantage or get 205/50/15 Rivals and get something stickier. If my car was a bit faster (I don't think I'll be gearing out 2nd ever), it would be a no brainer, but with 100hp, I dunno.
This whole no power thing is new to me.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

What speed do you top out at in 2nd?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Brigdh posted:

What speed do you top out at in 2nd?
60. It is geared pretty high for less than 100 ft/lbs and 100hp (basically the same speed in every speed as my legacy GT)

Stock tire is 185/55/15 for reference

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

nm posted:

60. It is geared pretty high for less than 100 ft/lbs and 100hp (basically the same speed in every speed as my legacy GT)

Stock tire is 185/55/15 for reference

Z2s are stickier than rivals, but with 100hp I'd be aiming for a tire that is has similar height or a bit shorter over an extra 10-20mm.

Then again it's the old autox thing, unless you're hunting for another few tenths to win just go with whatever is cheaper.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 13, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Muffinpox posted:

Z2s are stickier than rivals
Everything I've read seems to say different, but yeah, i was thinking smaller. They're also cheaper.

edit: Apparently the new RS3 compoun id also sold in 195/50/15. Any ideas on that? All of these are within a few bucks of each other, so it doesn't matter.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 13, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

Z2s are stickier than rivals

Debatable

Muffinpox posted:

but with 100hp I'd be aiming for a tire that is has similar height or a bit shorter over an extra 10-20mm.

Yeah, I'd tend to shoot for around 62-65mph at the top of 2nd which would mean get a taller tire, but the low hp is a bit of a problem. If you are comfortable shifting to third, then I'd also probably go with the shorter tire

Actually, I just remembered Andy Hollis was campaigning a Mazda 2 in STF two years ago. See if you can hunt down his setup?

nm posted:

edit: Apparently the new RS3 compoun id also sold in 195/50/15. Any ideas on that? All of these are within a few bucks of each other, so it doesn't matter.

The Z2 is discontinued, and its replacement, the Z2 Star Spec isn't coming to the US until November. I've been hearing mixed reviews of the new RS3, some say it is basically the same as the old RS3, others say its different (works better cold, but doesn't tolerate heat as well). None of the 3 options is really "best", so I tend to recommend something that compliments your driving style.

Z2 is very precise, doesn't like a lot of slip angle, can work without much camber, and tends to tell you when its going to drop off, but it doesn't have a whole lot of range - you either are in its narrow grip range, or out of it. Easy to over heat, tends to need spraying.

Rival is pretty much the exact opposite. Likes camber, large slip angles, can take some heat (but may need a bit to start working). Noisy near the limit, but doesn't always tell you when you are over the edge.

RS3 is about impossible to overheat, but needs some to start working. Seems like the middle option between the Z2 and Rival.

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 13, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Brigdh posted:

Debatable

Yeah, I'd tend to shoot for around 62-65mph at the top of 2nd which would mean get a taller tire, but the low hp is a bit of a problem. If you are comfortable shifting to third, then I'd also probably go with the shorter tire

Actually, I just remembered Andy Hollis was campaigning a Mazda 2 in STF two years ago. See if you can hunt down his setup?

It appears he was running 195/50/15 R1Rs in 2013.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 13, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

nm posted:

It appears he was running 195/50/15 R1Rs in 2013.

Ah, figures. That doesn't help you much in the long term.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Brigdh posted:

Ah, figures. That doesn't help you much in the long term.

Yeah, unless the discover, if by magic, that the R1Rs are really 200TW tire like hankook did.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Andy Hollis ITT

Andy slammed the trunk and the wing caught his face

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

What car? Been to PITL before?

Green S14.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Chriskory posted:

Andy Hollis ITT

Don't post this they'll require helmets in the paddock now too

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Chriskory posted:

Andy Hollis ITT

His CRX is just insane.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

animeliker posted:

In Los Angeles, there are roughly 8 clubs that host events all year. :getin:

Chriskory posted:

Andy Hollis ITT

Oh god, I'm laughing way to hard at this. Did he get DQ'ed again or something? Dude rages like there's no tomorrow..

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Kinch Reindl's Civic beat me by 3 seconds. His car is more then 200 lbs lighter and his springs are nearly twice as stiff, makes mine look like an SUV.
He'll be at the Nebraska ProSolo, hopefully he wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7YiuFCkI0

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 20, 2014

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Had a fun day at my event placed 13th in novice heres my fastest run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLJa1Nc3iE
also jalopnik was there driving this

Torn Quad Jones fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 25, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I ran the Picton regional event for Ontario, placed 6/16 in STR for day one. Have a video. Please ignore the horrible shifting, missed braking points, and 'interesting' lines. This is a much bigger site than I'm used to - it's 3 2500' long runways, all of which were used for this event. Things happen a lot faster in 3rd gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6V6JMTmWlc

I'll also note that I'm running STR on stock suspension, so while I made a lot of mistakes I'm pretty pleased with a 6th place finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Heres the article about that tremor that went autocrossing too bad they put music over the run it sounded great.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/taking-a-stock-ford-f-150-where-its-never-gone-before-1582276128/1583351611/+matthardigree

• Locked thread