Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

If all the robots were genderless but we referred to them by male names and 'him' regardless, is that still oppression? Would it be if it was 'her', instead?

Besides, Alice is just his slave name. The gender is an act. But then, when isn't it?

I'm curious what you think about the pseudonyms of other spies/secret agents. Actually I'm not cause you're trolling, and you're not even the 3rd best bootleg SMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I'm curious what you think about the pseudonyms of other spies/secret agents. Actually I'm not cause you're trolling, and you're not even the 3rd best bootleg SMG.

Wow, at that point I like, don't even qualify as a bootleg SMG. Thanks! I'm SA Poster Hbomberguy, a discrete entity, and all of my posts have been genuine.

What do you mean by 'other spies' anyway?

Milky Moor posted:

Go back to the Star Wars thread.

Go back to (bitching about me in) the AusPol Megathread.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Wow, at that point I like, don't even qualify as a bootleg SMG. Thanks! I'm SA Poster Hbomberguy, a discrete entity, and all of my posts have been genuine.

What do you mean by 'other spies' anyway?

Go back to (bitching about me in) the AusPol Megathread.

Well, spy or secret agent or whatever you'd call her. Sleeper cell? Just saying, a pseudonym isn't the same as a slave-name.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How would alice be a slave name/robots be oppressed
The Decepticons are not enslaved by people. Alice just dresses up as a human to try to kill sam.

In the comic, there are female Transformers now but other Transformers don't really notice they're different except when they use weird pronouns like "she" and "her" for each other, it's pretty funny.
And it's pretty nice that they're doing that, because a previous author (Simon Furman) attempted to write out the possibility of Transformer gender in an incredibly offensive way (more offensive than anything in the movies, imo, involved a panel that resembled some bizarre rape scene). IDW's really trying to make amends for that by not only introducing more female characters alongside Windblade, her comic is written and drawn by women as well. Again, it's a great comic, far better than you'd expect for such a bizarre fan-voted character (note: she turns into a VTOL plane because it's a pun, she's a fan character and her altmode has fans). MTMTE had already pushed the envelope before that by showing Transformers have a marriage analog, despite all being male except for now four characters, and apparently Hasbro was supportive of one male Transformer telling another "I love you". Kind of a stark contrast to the films where women are compared to dogs and every minority is a stereotype, regardless of whether it's hidden satire or not.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 11, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Transformers obviously do not and cannot have a biological sex, but for story purposes their gender is determined by their voice actor, and currently we are at a severe lack of female transformers. Arcee didn't even have any lines in RotF before being unceremoniously killed off, which is sad given how great she was as a character in Prime.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cardboard Box A posted:

Transformers obviously do not and cannot have a biological sex, but for story purposes their gender is determined by their voice actor, and currently we are at a severe lack of female transformers. Arcee didn't even have any lines in RotF before being unceremoniously killed off, which is sad given how great she was as a character in Prime.

I think she has, like, one line. Grey DeLisle is the credited voice actress for her/them.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Well, spy or secret agent or whatever you'd call her. Sleeper cell? Just saying, a pseudonym isn't the same as a slave-name.

I was making a joke. I was pretty sure the point was obvious - it is an assumed name used to pass as a human girl. If they have a 'real name' it's probably something else. Like 'pretender'.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Kind of a stark contrast to the films where women are compared to dogs and every minority is a stereotype, regardless of whether it's hidden satire or not.

What's 'hidden' about the scene where the ad-magazine-pretty Alice character is revealed to be part of a strategy to manipulate you through your desires, and her face falls open to reveal a harsh, metallic, monstrous face beneath it?

This image is pretty much symbolic of the film's whole ethos regarding capitalism and human behaviour. Note that it's framed and arranged to be like an ad for Maybelline or whatever. The people on the marketing might be attractive - but beneath it is the singular desire to get your money through whatever means deemed necessary. The Hollywood system itself runs on money, and not the feelings they claim to want to give you with their movies. 'Hidden satire'? It might not be - at the very least it's the most direct about the truth, even accidentally.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I was making a joke. I was pretty sure the point was obvious - it is an assumed name used to pass as a human girl. If they have a 'real name' it's probably something else. Like 'pretender'.

Sorry I was kind of a dick. There's a kind of Poe's Law deal going on sometimes and I'm having a hard time telling when people are seriously sly trying to make valid or at least controversial points about movies and when it's hella jokes simply.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, the other day, at a friend's urging, I saw some of Transformers Prime, which he described as having all of the non-stupid elements of the Transformers film--most of the strengths, none of the weaknesses (not that it doesn't have its own weaknesses, of course). It's…surprisingly okay. I really liked some of what I saw. Little bits like Arcee yelling at the kid to call his mother really worked as character pieces, and scenes like him blowing up an entire ship with a flint and lit twig served to make him more than just a local yokel like Sam Witwicky.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Transformers: Prime is decent, overall. June Darby is generally fantastic and I think my favourite scene is when she browbeats Optimus and the Autobots for endangering children - even as Optimus tries to give her a big speech about it. As a show though, it kind of feels like that the writers wanted to do some things that they were forced to pull back on, leaving it with a feeling of wasted potential. I really liked the June/Jack/Arcee dynamic, but it sucks that it was basically shoved aside past the first season up to an including Miko learning more about Arcee's past than Jack did. I can't help but think that some Hasbro exec realised that the writers had had Jack flirt with a giant robot and basically got worried about it and just sort of separated the two.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 13, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New footage aired during The Voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPmKZQ2HMqM

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

I'm proud to tell a forum full of Bay haters that I'll be there opening day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Better looking version of that trailer, but with more Imagine Dragons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hNxd3RtYrc

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Those ridiculous sword-guns. :allears:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

TRUCK O SAURUS

this has to play in with the heartland imagery we've seen somehow.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

The MSJ posted:

Better looking version of that trailer, but with more Imagine Dragons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hNxd3RtYrc

Is it weird that I kinda feel bad for Linkin Park? I can just see them, sitting by the phone, asking each other, "Have you heard from Bay? Did he call yet?"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

At least they're waiting instead of making a gritty remake of an old song.

Stan Bush, I still remember.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ungoal posted:

I'm proud to tell a forum full of Bay haters that I'll be there opening day.

This is not a controversial opinion here in the Michael Bay redemption thread. Terry has done more to revitalize my interest in Transformers than any PR team could.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well don't forget Pain and Gain

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well don't forget Pain and Gain

Maybe the movie will surprise us and Grimlock is Dwayne Johnson the whole time.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

The MSJ posted:

Maybe the movie will surprise us and Grimlock is Dwayne Johnson the whole time.

Can you smell what the Grimlock is cooking?

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Guys there is now a trailer... for the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjRR6YO5QHA

VaLiancY
Dec 25, 2007
Late Registration
And here is the new trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKD5SNYUpUk

I really like Prime's new design and the black Lambo.

Edit - Old link was turned to private.

VaLiancY fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 15, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So we have the evil government guys who learn to make transformers by studying Megatron's body (note they weren't able to do this in the hundreds of years they had Megatron before, but maybe being frozen had something to do with it?) and are hunting down transformers, but where do GUNFACE/FACEGUN and the alien snail ship armada come into it? And how many extinction level threats does this make at this point?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VaLiancY posted:

And here is the new trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-dcTiHNHk

I don't want to live in a world where Optimus Prime riding Grimlock into a full on battle isn't loving awesome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

snortpocket posted:

Greatest film ever right here.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure I post this every couple of days in this thread, but...

I am ridiculously psyched for this film!

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Lockdown & Grimlock just made me wet my pants. :circlefap:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VaLiancY posted:

And here is the new trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-dcTiHNHk

The trailer could have been Prime riding Grimlock and cutting robots in half in a loop and I would have been satisfied.

God drat that looks fun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

what I saw:
Humans make/rework transformers to their own gain, BIG GOV TM hunts the real ones.
Some sort of space tranformers authority doesn't like this and wants to destroy earth.
For some reason we have human drama that Ill not care about.

What I took away from it:
:black101: ME GRIMLOCK, KING! :black101:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

snortpocket posted:

Goddammnit the one property where you could get away with posting a youtube video of

And you don't

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Phy posted:

Goddammnit the one property where you could get away with posting a youtube video of

And you don't

Well, for the most part Optimus was transformed, so his trailer was in the netherrealm.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
"How many more of my kind must be sacrificed?"

umm Optimus I think you're forgetting something important there

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By "my kind" he means job creators.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

"Who sent you here?"

"GUNFACE!"

This is the first Transformers movie I've been excited for since the first one. From 1985.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Transformers 5 needs to have Wreck-Gar in it and be called "Marky Mark and the Junky Bunch"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

snortpocket posted:

Transformers 5 needs to have Wreck-Gar in it and be called "Marky Mark and the Junky Bunch"

Only if either Eric Idle or Weird Al reprise the role. :colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Watching the trailer on something that isn't my phone. It looks like Optimus is in the middle of fighting Galvatron when Gunface blasts him.

So, what've got? There's the Autobots, the Human-built Transformers, and then a third faction represented by Gunface?

Lessail posted:

"How many more of my kind must be sacrificed?"

umm Optimus I think you're forgetting something important there

Also this. Sure, I sent the AllSpark into deep space and basically started this whole mess, but... :qq:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

So, what've got? There's the Autobots, the Human-built Transformers, and then a third faction represented by Gunface?

Lockdown (Gunface) is reportedly a bounty hunter sent to earth by an as-yet unidentified employer. Please be Unicron, please be Unicron PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
I think its odd that Optimus seems to be separated from the Autobots when we first see him, and in pretty rough shape. Dark of the moon ends with him being pretty much unstoppable, killing two major threats to his power, but something clearly changes in the 4(?) years since that happened. I wonder what happened to change that.

I don't know what it could mean, but could Bay be trying to create a parallel with the first film, with Optimus being lost instead of Megatron?