Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bobulus posted:

Seems like the right writer could claim that Magneto's power is complete molecular manipulation and he just has a mental block that means he thinks he can only control ferrous metals. Didn't they do something retcon asspulls for Cyclop's lack of control and Gambit's power? And maybe Iceman?

And the Molecule Man -- he thought his powers could only affect inorganic matter until Doctor Beyondoom removed his mental block towards the end of Secret Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

That only works when it doesn't interfere with your name.

He could change it by deed poll to 'Magento' and pretend he's a magician or something, his costume is already the correct colour.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm reminded of X-Men #2 by Lee and Claremont, where Magneto gets attacked by the Genoshan military using all-ceramic missiles, which he... proceeds to halt and disassemble anyway. That annoyed me pretty severely at a young age.

Bobulus posted:

Seems like the right writer could claim that Magneto's power is complete molecular manipulation and he just has a mental block that means he thinks he can only control ferrous metals. Didn't they do something retcon asspulls for Cyclop's lack of control and Gambit's power? And maybe Iceman?

The old Official Handbook just outright stated that Magneto has the ability to manipulate other forms of energy and something something Unified Field Theory handwave handwave is why.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Or, as the cartoon put it, "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM ARE RELATED?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Or, as the cartoon put it, "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM ARE RELATED?"

I wonder if there's ever been an evil government plan to capture Magneto, lobotomise him, and use him to power the entire country's power grid.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Magneto's powers have allowed him to do many weird things. If you look back at his history prior to the first X-Men film coming out (and then Grant Morrison taking it onboard his X-Men run) Magneto's helmet didn't make him immune to psycic power. It was just something he was resistant to because of his strong will power/ his inherent mental powers/ stuff to do with Magnets.

Then there was another story where Magneto decided to change the Earth's EM field just enough so as to interfere with the Astral Plane, just so the X-Men would have a harder time tracking him psychically. (It's a shame JLA/Avengers never mentioned this little tidbit about how DC psychics would find it harder to use powers in the Marvel universe, because of this. Though it would also likely mean that Marvel psycics would be more powerful as they essentially grew up stronger to compensate for an artificially more difficult astral plane.)

Say Nothing posted:

He used to be capable of astral projection. How's that for an rear end-pull power?
Uncanny X-Men #6

Ah Jack Kirby, the Greg Land of his day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Magneto's short-lived career as "Magnus the Man Magnet".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Say Nothing posted:

He used to be capable of astral projection. How's that for an rear end-pull power?
Uncanny X-Men #6

I love how it looks like he is trying to sneak around on his tip toes.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Magneto's powers have allowed him to do many weird things. If you look back at his history prior to the first X-Men film coming out (and then Grant Morrison taking it onboard his X-Men run) Magneto's helmet didn't make him immune to psycic power. It was just something he was resistant to because of his strong will power/ his inherent mental powers/ stuff to do with Magnets.

Then there was another story where Magneto decided to change the Earth's EM field just enough so as to interfere with the Astral Plane, just so the X-Men would have a harder time tracking him psychically. (It's a shame JLA/Avengers never mentioned this little tidbit about how DC psychics would find it harder to use powers in the Marvel universe, because of this. Though it would also likely mean that Marvel psycics would be more powerful as they essentially grew up stronger to compensate for an artificially more difficult astral plane.)

Another excellent use of Magneto's abilities was making a thin magnetic field around himself to allow him to touch Rouge in Age of Apocalypse. If I remember correctly someone threw a plastic knife at/in him in the same issue. I always found it comical that Rouge recognized it as a plastic knife mid-flight.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ghostlight posted:

Journey into Mystery #109

See, I would've thought manipulating Mjolnir via magnetism would be similar to lifting it - and Magneto certainly wasn't worthy. So what the hay.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I think it's mostly just padded leather, with only the cat nipples being metal.

That said, iron in the blood stream etc etc power creep

*eat poo poo Magneto nay-sayers*

The X-Men #1

Whoa, that's a neat way of showing Cyplocs Power.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He could change it by deed poll to 'Magento' and pretend he's a magician or something, his costume is already the correct colour.

He'd still be loving fantastic at manipulating shopping carts.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
loving Magneto, how does he work?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

loving Magneto, how does he work?

(Don't know the source, I just remembered Quentin wore that t-shirt once and Googled for it)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CapnAndy posted:

(Don't know the source, I just remembered Quentin wore that t-shirt once and Googled for it)

90% sure its Wolverine and the x-men

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Autoerotic asphyxiation is kinda funny.

Every single one of us the devil inside.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Magnetochat reminds me of the Absorbascon's rundown of J'onn J'onzz's early years:

(original source probably some old issues of Detective; these ones from Martian Manhunter Showcase.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's approaching Stardust levels there.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm reminded of X-Men #2 by Lee and Claremont, where Magneto gets attacked by the Genoshan military using all-ceramic missiles, which he... proceeds to halt and disassemble anyway. That annoyed me pretty severely at a young age.

Didn't he just simply rip the steel foundations of nearby buildings and use them to smash their ceramic military vehicles?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Midnight and Johnny Blair in: Run Into the Plane Propeller As Fast As You Can!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

That's approaching Stardust levels there.
Not until he merges all the laundry into a single shirt before cleaning it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

muscles like this? posted:

Captain Midnight and Johnny Blair in: Run Into the Plane Propeller As Fast As You Can!
Captain Midnight in: The Middle of the Goddamn Day

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if there's ever been an evil government plan to capture Magneto, lobotomise him, and use him to power the entire country's power grid.

Probably, but I guess they didn't have any wooden guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Quentin's shirts were pretty much 90% of his appeal to me.

(Don't remember the source but I'm certain it's Wolverine & the X-men.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm betting someone will reveal that Quentin's T-Shirts are made out of Psycic Paper Psycic Cotton Unstable Molecules, and Quentin just projects a new design onto them every day.

It would lead to an amusing scene when a telepathically resistant person/ robot would just look at the T-Shirts and assume that they are just blank T-Shirts and not get the joke.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

The symbol on his chest of a clock pointing to midnight makes it all work for me.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

DisMafugga posted:

The symbol on his chest of a clock pointing to midnight makes it all work for me.

The hilarious thing is, that could also mean noon.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The old Official Handbook just outright stated that Magneto has the ability to manipulate other forms of energy and something something Unified Field Theory handwave handwave is why.

I remember getting a book like that and it stated something like "has the ability to project any kind of energy from his head and hands, intercept radio waves, encase himself in a bubble of pure magnetism"

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

The hilarious thing is, that could also mean noon.

That sounds like the basis of a 1980s Alan Moore-style deconstruction story.

"Don't you know you've actually been CAPTAIN NOON all along?!"

And then he has a breakdown and murders everyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Benito Cereno posted:

That sounds like the basis of a 1980s Alan Moore-style deconstruction story.

"Don't you know you've actually been CAPTAIN NOON all along?!"

And then he has a breakdown and murders everyone.

He has a split personality with Captain North.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

SilverSupernova posted:

But did Magneto shoot first?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nycticeius posted:

Didn't he just simply rip the steel foundations of nearby buildings and use them to smash their ceramic military vehicles?

We both get to be right!

X-Men #2 (1991).

I guess nobody actually educated Magneto on what ferrous materials actually are. :(

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 13, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lobok posted:

He has a split personality with Captain North.

Batman: Give it up, North, all the evidence says you're the killer. :mad:
Captain North: But Batman, everything ALWAYS points to me! :gonk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It sounds like something that would be in goofy-age Batman.
Source, wtf?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In my head, this is what Batman thinks sex is, because every time someone tried to teach Little Bruce differently they got as far as "And when a Mummy and Daddy love each other very much..." before he finished "They get gunned down in an alleyway! NOOOOOO!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Elfface posted:

In my head, this is what Batman thinks sex is, because every time someone tried to teach Little Bruce differently they got as far as "And when a Mummy and Daddy love each other very much..." before he finished "They get gunned down in an alleyway! NOOOOOO!"

Which would explain why he can't get it up unless the woman's a master assassin or capable of kegel-ing his cock into oblivion.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

We both get to be right!

Well, color me corrected then!

"These missiles are designed to be immune to my powers."
*uses powers on them anyway*

I loving love Magneto.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Magneto's secretly telekinetic, he just tells everyone that his powers are based on magnetism so they'll waste money building plastic sentinels and poo poo.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Nycticeius posted:

Well, color me corrected then!

"These missiles are designed to be immune to my powers."
*uses powers on them anyway*

I loving love Magneto.

People don't think too hard about Magneto's powerset because he controls one of the four Fundamental Forces. And that being the case, he could just... say, decide that someone doesn't have any electrons anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's some good military strategy right there.

Rat Queens #5

• Locked thread