Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Is there any consensus on the best Ultra Greatsword or alternatively best Great Club? They all seem pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Think about the Dark Souls game setting too hard and you go insane. Does the intro mean the character or the player? "perhaps you've seen" Acknowladges that if you played DarS1 and/or Demon Souls that it changes the game, it goes even deeper if you played King's Field references. Drangleic, Lordran, Boletaria , and Melanat? The same place and not the same place. The Chosen Undead and The Seeker are the only unique beings in potentially infinite realities and once they get involved everything gets murky. Solaire lived and died, the first flame was kindled and extinguished, Frampt was plunge attacked off a balcony and fed titianite slabs, Lutrec was hunted down and killed for revenge, left in a cell to rot, and kicked off a ledge to his death. Everything happened, nothing happened, there are a hundred worlds were the chosen undead tried punching a demon in it cellulite-y butt, got sat on, respawned at a bonfire and stayed there FOREVER.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Is there any consensus on the best Ultra Greatsword or alternatively best Great Club? They all seem pretty cool.

As far as great clubs go it depends on what you're looking for. Pure damage King's Ultra Greatsword is the best hammer type. It also weighs a ton so unless I'm running around on low armour I can never bother to use it. Demon Hammer is a close second as far as damage go but it also weighs a lot. Large club is the lightest of the great clubs so if you're looking to actually 50% roll then it's probably the best one for it. Dragon tooth isn't the best for damage but it doesen't weigh a lot and gives you fire and magic resist.
Ultra greatswords I'd say the greatsword is a nice mix of damage and weight. Haven't tried them out much so not sure which is the absolute best.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Talkin' about lore: It's real interesting that you always start out as the same dude (some guy with red(?) hair).

The intro seems to suggest that you somehow assume an entirely different identity once you reach the old lady Firekeeper's house in Things Betwixt.

Becoming human in this game seems to revolve around staving off hollowing by recalling memories of who you are, so it's super weird that the first time you get a human effigy you suddenly turn into someone else entirely.

You even go from being totally hollowed out to human!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Average Bear posted:

Thongs Betwixt.

This would be an excellent name for a Souls-themed strip club.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm a bit confused about how lightning scaling works. My lightning Greatsword does 280 + 47 lightning damage, while my Heide sword does 140 + 115, despite both having B scaling for lightning. Am I missing something?

Also, I found that if you name your character something with the letter M, you activate "auto-blocking", which is a function I have no idea why anyone would want. Since keyboard input still register when you're naming your character. Great.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Scaling from infusing is usually very, very lovely.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Guys, some weirdo behind a force field is asking me to go kill people, I heard that in the last game there's people who go about killing NPCS and such if I make the wrong choice, what the gently caress do I do? do I say yes or no?

also, where do I go find the ashen mist memory things?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Al-Saqr posted:

Guys, some weirdo behind a force field is asking me to go kill people, I heard that in the last game there's people who go about killing NPCS and such if I make the wrong choice, what the gently caress do I do? do I say yes or no?

Say yes and have a good think about what he tells you.

The memory things are in the Forest.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Theres no jerk like that in DS2. Just say yes if you want to do his quest. You don't need to kill people he wants, you can get all the items he wants nonlethally.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jordbo posted:

I'm a bit confused about how lightning scaling works. My lightning Greatsword does 280 + 47 lightning damage, while my Heide sword does 140 + 115, despite both having B scaling for lightning. Am I missing something?

Also, I found that if you name your character something with the letter M, you activate "auto-blocking", which is a function I have no idea why anyone would want. Since keyboard input still register when you're naming your character. Great.

There are a bunch of different levels of scaling within that B, there will be a high B's and low B's, you can see it happening sometimes if you switch between weapons and see one of the letters go blue even if it's the same, signifying it's an improvement.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Scaling from infusing is usually very, very lovely.

Yeah, I see that, it's just that the letters are the same - in fact, the Greatsword has better scaling than the Heide's, since the B is blue when comparing. That's a bit unintuitive, so I assumed I was misunderstanding the mechanics... but then, what's the point of the letters, if the actual scaling differs? .(

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also sometimes they lie. Like if you infuse MLGS with anything but Magic it says it improves scaling but it actually doesn't.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kild posted:

Also sometimes they lie. Like if you infuse MLGS with anything but Magic it says it improves scaling but it actually doesn't.

I thought it actually does improve the scaling but the reduced base damage offsets that to actually make it worse?

I dunno the way they calculate weapon damage in this one is really confusing to me.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah unless your stats are geared towards boosting infusing then you can easily make your weapon worse, not to mention you're technically splitting the damage across an enemies resistances, so unless you're really pushing that lightning/fire/magic boost stat you can totally make your weapon worse.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

My problem is that the menu says my lightning Greatsword has better lightning scaling than my lightning Heide's sword, even though the greatsword receives less bonus damage. Like, a lot less: 47 vs. 115. Are there different kinds of lightning, that don't scale of faith, or what?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Are the servers borked now or something? I can neither summon or get summoned in Lost Bastille. I thought it might be because my lovely internet sometimes drops without me noticing and maybe the game was punishing me but summons still work in areas like Heides Tower or the wharf. I also tried using the Bone of Order but I just get an error message.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jordbo posted:

My problem is that the menu says my lightning Greatsword has better lightning scaling than my lightning Heide's sword, even though the greatsword receives less bonus damage. Like, a lot less: 47 vs. 115. Are there different kinds of lightning, that don't scale of faith, or what?

Just realised this will be down to the Heide's swords innate lightning damage, if a weapon already does some sort of element damage the percentage increase from a stat could still be less than another weapon but give out more bonus due to the base extra lightning.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jordbo posted:

It just straight up lies sometimes like I said. Known examples: Blue Flame and MLGS infused with anything thats not 'Magic' shows a 'blue letter' or a 'higher letter' but if you check the stat screen it's actually less bonus than an uninfused one.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

david... posted:

Just realised this will be down to the Heide's swords innate lightning damage, if a weapon already does some sort of element damage the percentage increase from a stat could still be less than another weapon but give out more bonus due to the base extra lightning.

Hm, I don't get it. The Heide sword's lightning damage is 140 + 115, and I understand that as a base damage (independent of stats) plus bonus damage (your faith multiplied by the scaling letter). If I understand you correctly, you're saying the bonus damage is influenced by faith, scaling, and the base damage? It would explain it, I guess, but it sounds a bit complicated .)

Edit:

Kild posted:

It just straight up lies sometimes like I said. Known examples: Blue Flame and MLGS infused with anything thats not 'Magic' shows a 'blue letter' or a 'higher letter' but if you check the stat screen it's actually less bonus than an uninfused one.

Welp, that's another explanation. This has got to be a bug, right?

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 13, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jordbo posted:

I guess, but it sounds a bit complicated.

:darksouls:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This entire game's narrative is existentialist, encapsulated in the line about how the one who sits on the throne sees what they wish to see. You take all the absurdity you've witnessed and the ordeals you've experienced and give it your own meaning, and that is ultimately what matters most.

...except that doesn't matter most, what matters most is Fashion Souls

You see lots of people wearing Vengarl's armor, it's true, but I've found it very appropriate as well as highly practical for this studded leather/metal ensemble (consisting of bandit gloves and Alva pants) that I've got going for my dual cestus lady here, and the spikey helmet really adds a lot of character. A very well-rounded image of a brawler, if I do say so!

Also got the Force and Emit Force miracles ready to go for requisite stuns and hadokens.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mazed posted:

Also got the Force and Emit Force miracles ready to go for requisite stuns and hadokens.

It's a shame they didn't add a caestus/chime combo weapon to the game just for that.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I know, right? :allears:

I'm using a jingly tree branch instead. It feels suitably improvised.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Didn't take me as long to get as I thought it would, and I managed to get all but the boots of the Shadow Set too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jordbo posted:

Welp, that's another explanation. This has got to be a bug, right?

Yeah it seems to be affecting most if not all of the weapons with elemental damage before infusion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So how exactly does one deal with a max avelyn? loving took 70-80% of my health while I had my 100 shield up and then the 2nd volley took the rest

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a shame they didn't add a caestus/chime combo weapon to the game just for that.

I made it happen in Dark Souls 1 and it showed up perfectly on the other end. I had all three flavors of magic castable by my hands simultaneously.

I see no reason I can't do it again for Dark Souls 2, as I've already dug enough into the data to attach arbitrary special abilities to my gear. I'm just being lazy about it due to VAC and such.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Heliosicle posted:

Didn't take me as long to get as I thought it would, and I managed to get all but the boots of the Shadow Set too.

How many ascetics did you wind up burning, and how ludicrously mean is the Flexile Sentry in your save file now?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

So how exactly does one deal with a max avelyn? loving took 70-80% of my health while I had my 100 shield up and then the 2nd volley took the rest

git gud and roll

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

neonbregna posted:

git gud and roll

Not sure what I was expecting

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

neonbregna posted:

git gud and roll

Or just move slightly to the side.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Confuse your opponent by freezing in place and dropping your guard.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I use a Mundane Avelyn +10 (and Santier's Spear hurrr) for belltower invasions. How much of an rear end in a top hat does that make me? :ohdear:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Or just move slightly to the side.

That thing seems to track for at least the last shot

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I use a Mundane Avelyn +10 (and Santier's Spear hurrr) for belltower invasions. How much of an rear end in a top hat does that make me? :ohdear:

You monster

But seriously, I'm surprised more people don't use the Santier's Spear. Considered taking it up myself just because of that ridiculous moveset, but it sees tailor-made, at least with a Mundane infusion, for a rather distinctive kind of build -- namely, dead even stats across the board; probably would work well for a hexer.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Mazed posted:

How many ascetics did you wind up burning, and how ludicrously mean is the Flexile Sentry in your save file now?

7, it would've been 6 but I killed the phantom while it was on the gangplank and the item dropped into the water. Both the phantom and the sentry would one shot me if I let them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's extremely satisfying to just lay into someone like a whirlwind of death. :black101:

... of course, if you miss, you're going to have a bad time, and that thing eats stamina like peanut m&ms. Not to mention twinkling titanite. I haven't been able to get it higher than +4 yet, and then I have to spend the same amount to get my Sunset Staff up. Of course, the #1 place to farm twinkling titanite is... yep, you guessed it...

My stats are something like 22 or 23 in everything except enough strength to wield the Avelyn (25, I think). Hexes are good, but my casting speed is poo poo so unless you're dumb and just charge straight ahead into a Heavy Resonant Soul, you're probably going to be able to dodge any hexes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where are Dark Souls 2 saves stored? I want to backup my saves so they don't get ruined by a hacker that dumps a ton of SM I don't want onto me.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We found him. We found the most boring man in the world.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Where are Dark Souls 2 saves stored?
In %APPDATA%\DarkSoulsII\. If you can't find it, do a file search for "DARKSII0000.sl2".