Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Jose posted:

How quickly you forget Joe Kinnear

I retract my previous statement on the grounds that I am a oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Call me crazy for not buying the Pardew warchest + spending spree rumors given that the board's stated intent is to buy one or maybe two first team players MAX per calendar year with the expectation that reserve team players and youth will fill in whatever other gaps may arise. Pardew's own quotes recently have taken a complete 180 from hopeful on bringing in numbers to completely lowering expectations. I expect a summer of not quite getting them "over the line" and "we was close".

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Levy is held accountable for most of the problems at the club, including always selling our best players when clubs like Liverpool have proven you don't have too and forgoing buying players over half a million. He's dragging his feet with the new stadium too.

I'd hope this season we could end the bullshit and get our players early (and have them not be dross) get a pre season together and then be ready to compete but that's not how it'll happen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tetsuo posted:

Call me crazy for not buying the Pardew warchest + spending spree rumors given that the board's stated intent is to buy one or maybe two first team players MAX per calendar year with the expectation that reserve team players and youth will fill in whatever other gaps may arise. Pardew's own quotes recently have taken a complete 180 from hopeful on bringing in numbers to completely lowering expectations. I expect a summer of not quite getting them "over the line" and "we was close".

All the local press is still talking about a proper rebuilding of the squad with shipping off a bunch of unwanted players so we have to sign a few and there are huge holes in the squad anyway

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

DickEmery posted:

How many more "poo poo managers" before someone questions the competence of Levy?

Edit : To clarify. AVB's spergocalypse, Sherwood's tantrums, Redknapp's England distraction could all be said to be not Levy's fault, however as a Chairman if the only tool in your box is sacking the manager then you're kind of a lovely chairman.

I've been banging on this drum for a while tbh. It's ridiculous.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Any gifs/vid of him saying that?

It's a joke

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Jose posted:

All the local press is still talking about a proper rebuilding of the squad with shipping off a bunch of unwanted players so we have to sign a few and there are huge holes in the squad anyway
Everyone knows we need a lot of players and I'm not saying we don't - the question is will we get them in? Going off of priors with this owner and Charnley's own quotes when hired, I'm just heavily leaning towards no. Like I said Pardew sounded optimistic a few weeks ago too but has since reined it in, so my gut feeling is he's been told he's not getting the numbers he realizes we need.

edit: Local press is frozen out anyway and Ryder is delusional, don't know why anyone would go by what they say.

I know I'm a pessimistic dick about this stuff but you can't argue I don't have good reason to be.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 13, 2014

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Burqa King posted:

It's a joke
but also real : http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9308310

Shola Ameobi posted:

"He told me to stop showing dissent, so I told him that I was allowed to plead my case. I asked him 'are you going to send me off for trying to plead my case for my team?' and he said 'yes'.

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

Newcastles new signings are revealed to be Ryan Taylor from Injury FC and Shola on a 1 year contract extension.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Modus Trollens posted:

Levy is held accountable for most of the problems at the club, including always selling our best players when clubs like Liverpool have proven you don't have too and forgoing buying players over half a million. He's dragging his feet with the new stadium too.

I'd hope this season we could end the bullshit and get our players early (and have them not be dross) get a pre season together and then be ready to compete but that's not how it'll happen.

Idk I always read about how Levy is such a transfer genius and the managers are always at fault, conveniently forgetting the guy who's been hiring them for years and years. Why buy a bunch of (really good) players for a lot of money and have a manager like AVB or Sherwood who doesn't want them and doesn't know how to play them? Will Levy hire someone now who will know how to deal with this group of players or will he go with another flavour of the month manager who might not have a clue what to do with all those players and just get sacked again?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Spurs problem is the financial gap between them and the top 4, they aren't going to do considerably better than they have done for the past 5 years whoever's in charge.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

Spurs problem is the financial gap between them and the top 4, they aren't going to do considerably better than they have done for the past 5 years whoever's in charge.

Levy has unrealistic expectations and it's holding the club back IMO. No doubt they'll sign some massively hyped players this summer and somehow be tipped for top four glory and disappoint again.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

euroboy posted:

Idk I always read about how Levy is such a transfer genius and the managers are always at fault, conveniently forgetting the guy who's been hiring them for years and years. Why buy a bunch of (really good) players for a lot of money and have a manager like AVB or Sherwood who doesn't want them and doesn't know how to play them? Will Levy hire someone now who will know how to deal with this group of players or will he go with another flavour of the month manager who might not have a clue what to do with all those players and just get sacked again?

There's always a ton of press sensationalism at the beginning of the season wrt Levy because none of his transfers have turned out poo poo yet and in fairness they always look fantastic on paper. On the flip side no one comes to spurs because of our history - Levy and Joe Lewis are rich men.

Of course he'll just hire (and then fire) a flavor of the month. Maybe it'll work out for a season or two like it did with 'arry we can hope I suppose.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

They spent one hundred million pounds

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ewar Woowar posted:

Mourinho is a piece of poo poo but I actually care more about my own team rather than if my manager annoys people. Guess this is why Chelsea will always be smalltime.

funny because to me it seems you care more about sniping at Mourinho than your own team, checkmate

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

*loads net spend tables graphs and logarithmic equations*

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Last season the gap between Spurs and the 4th place wage bill of Arsenal was ~60m, bigger than the gap between lowest waged Wigan and Spurs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
We're "trying to keep De Guzman" but genius signing David Ngog and disappointing loanees Lamah and Vazquez have all hosed off back to where they came from.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

While offloading their best player and replacing him with a bunch of unknowns that have all failed spectacularly.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

serious gaylord posted:

While offloading their best player and replacing him with a bunch of unknowns that have all failed spectacularly.

Most of them weren't really unknowns tbf

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, Paulinho, Eriksen, and Capoue were all relatively talented and known quantities. It was really surprising in Brazil when Paulinho picked Tottenham, because everyone thought he could have easily gone to one of the bigger clubs in Europe.

Not to mention buying Sigurdsson, Vertonghen, Dembele, Holtby, and Lloris the year before. All incredibly talented and two of which had shown quality in the Premier League.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

The most surprising one will always be soldado. Captain of Valencia and constant twenty five goal scorer to Torres 2.0

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Soldado and Lamela were hardly unknowns either. All of their transfers looked solid when they happened, someone like Giroud was much more of a question mark than any of the Spurs transfers.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Modus Trollens posted:

The most surprising one will always be soldado. Captain of Valencia and constant twenty five goal scorer to Torres 2.0
Definitely, I think most people were worried that Spurs had finally got a reliable striker and they'd go on to cement top 4 for the next few years. Then oh look he's loving useless.

Spiffeh
Dec 24, 2005

:v:
I'm getting a bit depressed that I've yet to see a 'big sam sacked' news story. I've been f5ing bbc football all day.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Spiffeh posted:

I'm getting a bit depressed that I've yet to see a 'big sam sacked' news story. I've been f5ing bbc football all day.

Knowing our luck he's going to be given a new 5 year contract and Kevin Nolan becomes captain for life

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Leicester's owner wants to spend £180m to get them top 5 within 3 years, good luck with that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Leicester's owner wants to spend £180m to get them top 5 within 3 years, good luck with that.

That might cover the wages, but what about the transfer fees?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

sassassin posted:

That might cover the wages, but what about the transfer fees?

It'll probably cover the agents fees

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I will be sad to see Lloris and Vertongen go. I don't expect them to stay any longer now that Spurs are going to play in Europa again.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's the deal with Soldado anyway? Did he suddenly decline or was he found out?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeramJert posted:

What's the deal with Soldado anyway? Did he suddenly decline or was he found out?

System baby tap in merchant getting the 'wrong kind' of service, mentally and physically weak.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Spiffeh posted:

Be strong brother. We have hope.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Spangly A posted:

Be strong brother. We have hope.

One of the Mirror journos has just tweeted that he's safe

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

sonatinas posted:

I will be sad to see Lloris and Vertongen go. I don't expect them to stay any longer now that Spurs are going to play in Europa again.

Hope Levy just forces them to stay but he won't. Love how mental Lloris is.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

One of the Mirror journos has just tweeted that he's safe

"Jack Sullivan ‏@jsullivanwhu May 11
“@FatSamOut: #AllardyceOut ........... @jsullivanwhu

Sadly it not my football club"

He just rubbished rumours that they're undergoing meetings about him too. I think he's actually safe based on the spurs game.

Not another year, please.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Kinda sad to see Sherwood go. Sure, he has the managing skills of a rock, but he was entertaining as hell in the touchline and in interviews. He also seems like One of the Lads and a good bloke. I would have a pint with him.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MeramJert posted:

If anyone needed a sports psychologist it's him.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

sassassin posted:

System baby tap in merchant getting the 'wrong kind' of service, mentally and physically weak.

His wife also had a miscarriage soon after their arrival to London... I'm sure that doesn't help mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Sure, he has the managing skills of a rock

He has the best win percentage of any tottenham manager in the premier league era, but o.k.

• Locked thread