Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
One of my friends used to work as a laptop tech for Vestas. Apparently their techs would "accidentally" drop their laptops off the top of a wind turbine when they wanted a new one. A 100m drop onto any surface will kill any laptop, especially if it's open and turned on at the time.

In the end the techs got too greedy and wrecked too many machines. The CTO got mad and mandated that no IT equipment could be brought into the turbines except for the approved (cheap) PDA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spankmeister posted:

Re: space heaters. I have some scars on my arm from burns I got fighting an electrical fire caused by space heaters. (And accountants too dumb to draw breath that actually physically held down the breaker, causing a fire in a junction box in the ceiling. )

That…shouldn't be possible. Breakers trip internally regardless of what you do to the toggle on the front.

I suppose it's possible you had some old-rear end wiring or the breaker was just hosed.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Bisse posted:

Two work colleagues with almost-identical names, differing only by one letter in the last name. Lets call them Jonas and Jonah.

Jonah's login to internal system suddenly stops working. Five seconds later, an email lands in Jonas's mailbox:

"From: IT Support Guy
Subject: Duplicate fixed

Hi Jonas,

I just discovered that there is a duplicate of your account with your name spelled incorrectly. But don't worry, i've already fixed it.

Best Regards,
IT Support Guy"

EDIT: Apparently this particular account delete action deletes the account's data, and is irreversible!

Reminds me of when a project manager tried to "clean up" Active Directory for me by deleting all of the "old" computer objects, even a couple DCs. Never showed up late again

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Your project managers are allowed to delete anything?

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Project Manager checking in:

I was on a gig where one of the Sys Admins gave me his credentials on a number of production boxes. Information was sent in an unencrypted email.

I immediately forwarded said email to the CTO explaining why I would not be returning to the office until all production servers had been audited.

All of this happened 3 weeks after a highly publicized security breach, which was why I was brought in to begin with.

CTO was walked out of the building 2 weeks later -- I wasn't far behind.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sarcasmatron posted:

Project Manager checking in:

I was on a gig where one of the Sys Admins gave me his credentials on a number of production boxes. Information was sent in an unencrypted email.

I immediately forwarded said email to the CTO explaining why I would not be returning to the office until all production servers had been audited.

All of this happened 3 weeks after a highly publicized security breach, which was why I was brought in to begin with.

CTO was walked out of the building 2 weeks later -- I wasn't far behind.

You were walked out of the building or you quit?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Wasn't my AD, but a terrible environment that we were trying to unfuck (and ended up gutting entirely). I showed up an hour late and I found him with another admin (who has since been fired but not for this) clicking around in the server room.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Re: space heaters. I have some scars on my arm from burns I got fighting an electrical fire caused by space heaters. (And accountants too dumb to draw breath that actually physically held down the breaker, causing a fire in a junction box in the ceiling. )

Btw I didn't fight the fire because I was in IT at the time, it was more that there were 8 people around staring at the fire in the loving ceiling doing gently caress all. I decided to act.

The scars aren't that bad really, three tic tac sized spots on my arm and hand, but god drat people are dumb.

People never cease to amaze. I actually had an administrator's secretary that used a space heater too close to her Hp DC5150. Over the course of a few months it melted the plastic front on it to the point where it looked like a Salvador Dali painting. She retired at the end of that year having never said a word about it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

guppy posted:

Well, he didn't fill out a 27b/6. What does he expect?

:allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Re: space heaters. I have some scars on my arm from burns I got fighting an electrical fire caused by space heaters. (And accountants too dumb to draw breath that actually physically held down the breaker, causing a fire in a junction box in the ceiling. )

Btw I didn't fight the fire because I was in IT at the time, it was more that there were 8 people around staring at the fire in the loving ceiling doing gently caress all. I decided to act.
:psyduck: It's actions like this that convince me we need a capital punishment for stupidity.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

demonachizer posted:

You were walked out of the building or you quit?

Walked out with all of the other people hired by the CTO.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sarcasmatron posted:

Walked out with all of the other people hired by the CTO.

So you found something wrong, told the appropriate person, and then he and anyone he touched were promptly axed? :tinfoil:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guppy posted:

The thing that gets me is that they'll deny all day long that they had anything to do with it. They have no idea what happened! It must have been aliens. That's the only explanation I see.

Motherfucker, these aren't my computers. I don't care what happened to it. Accidents happen, I get it, everyone gets it. Just don't lie to me!

THIS! Look I don't care, just don't bullshit me. Just say "Hey I accidentally dropped it". I understand poo poo happens, sales users are busy travelling all across the country, bags get thrown around. Just dont get pissy with me and blame the hardware or say we equip you with garbage.

The worst was when we started getting the first line of the iPad Airs, and thin Dell Lattitude 7440s. Suddenly everyone's less then 1 year old iPad 4 and Lattitude 6330 was absolute GARBAGE! Unusable and how can I expect anyone to work with such filth? Ugh sales...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

When you lie for a living, it becomes a part of you, something you can't just turn off. Either that or most salespeople are just pathological liars to begin with. I can't decide which.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Wasn't my case but I've heard of one where when the sales person was fired they chucked the laptop at the manager's wall. Apparently was still fixable afterwards, just damaged casing.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Having been playing with PHP for ~5 years, today I've submitted my first PHP bug.

Now I'm complete.

(I know that it's not much, but I actually bothered, and supplied an irrefutable test case, and :toot:)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Caged posted:

That…shouldn't be possible. Breakers trip internally regardless of what you do to the toggle on the front.

I suppose it's possible you had some old-rear end wiring or the breaker was just hosed.

Well they went like this:

*pop* (breaker pops)
*click* (accountant woman resets breaker)

*pop*
*click*
*pop*
*click*
*pop*
*click*
*pop*
*click*
*pop*
*click*
*pop*
*click*
*pop*
*click*
..... Hey it stays on now. :downs:

It probably got fused or smth by doing that.

10 minutes later ... "what 's that smell? :downs: "

(it was smouldering plastic)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 13, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Someone called?

I pressed decaf and it gave me uncaffeinated coffee, this is affecting produciton
WHY DID IT NOT GIVE ME DECAF LIKE I ASKED

Also, chiming in on the HVAC discussion from forever ago - my last job included a data center, and we were responsible for monitoring the cooler units for issues and reporting them to the facilities guy, which struck me as extraneous and way out of scope. Especially since the facilities guy got all the automatic alert emails, was the only guy who could open repair tickets for the company that supported them, etc.

MJP fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 13, 2014

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MJP posted:

I pressed decaf and it gave me uncaffeinated coffee, this is affecting produciton
WHY DID IT NOT GIVE ME DECAF LIKE I ASKED

Also, chiming in on the HVAC discussion from forever ago - my last job included a data center, and we were responsible for monitoring the cooler units for issues and reporting them to the facilities guy, which struck me as extraneous and way out of scope. Especially since the facilities guy got all the automatic alert emails, was the only guy who could open repair tickets for the company that supported them, etc.

What's black and doesn't work?

Decaf, you racist.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Re: space heaters. I have some scars on my arm from burns I got fighting an electrical fire caused by space heaters. (And accountants too dumb to draw breath that actually physically held down the breaker, causing a fire in a junction box in the ceiling. )

Btw I didn't fight the fire because I was in IT at the time, it was more that there were 8 people around staring at the fire in the loving ceiling doing gently caress all. I decided to act.

The scars aren't that bad really, three tic tac sized spots on my arm and hand, but god drat people are dumb.

You tried to bold the dumbest part where the biggest dummy does something dumb, but you missed. Here, I fixed it. Don't fight fires, call 911.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm kinda curious how you get burns from grabbing a fire extinguisher and giving whatever's smouldering a blast of CO2.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm kinda curious how you get burns from grabbing a fire extinguisher and giving whatever's smouldering a blast of CO2.

I don't either. Can those things reach from across the street from my building? Because that is where I will be.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm kinda curious how you get burns from grabbing a fire extinguisher and giving whatever's smouldering a blast of CO2.

Molten plastic/ceiling material dripping on you from above?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

Molten plastic/ceiling material dripping on you from above?

Small burns on your arm from holding the responsible accountant's face to the fire, literally?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Erwin posted:

You tried to bold the dumbest part where the biggest dummy does something dumb, but you missed. Here, I fixed it. Don't fight fires, call 911.
Nice post/av combo.

So I think one should always try to put out small fires if you can do it safely, before it escalates.
The fire was small and I thought it was manageable. I misjudged.

I probably would try to put out a fire again, just not ceiling fires. :v:

Sirotan posted:

Molten plastic/ceiling material dripping on you from above?

This is what happened.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Molten plastic/ceiling material dripping on you from above?

I trust you filed a workers compensation claim or similar.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
About two years ago all of our computers got replaced. I'm not really sure why as the old ones were fine and the type of work we do barely gets more complicated than Word/browsers. I have some shitbox of an old laptop that works perfectly fine and they can pry it from my cold dead hands. I have never understood the whole "latest and greatest" fad when it comes to technology. I don't care if Bob in accounting has something else than me.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Blue_monday posted:

About two years ago all of our computers got replaced. I'm not really sure why as the old ones were fine and the type of work we do barely gets more complicated than Word/browsers. I have some shitbox of an old laptop that works perfectly fine and they can pry it from my cold dead hands. I have never understood the whole "latest and greatest" fad when it comes to technology. I don't care if Bob in accounting has something else than me.

This is all true except for monitors. Monitors should be replaced as soon as fiscally possible. We still have people with Haswells using 1280x1024 lovely <18" TN panel LCDs.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 13, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

deimos posted:

This is all true except for monitors. Monitors should be replaced as soon as humanly possible. We still have people with Haswells using 1280x1024 lovely <18" TN panel LCDs.

All our standard monitors that we buy now are 20" HP that are 1600x900. Yay...

Big upgrade over the 17" HP's that most people have on their desks.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Heh. We still have CRT monitors in the backs of a lot our classrooms. Never mind the fact we have proven that they will save money switching to newer models. Donations of those terrible old 17" monitors accepted.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We still use the 17" ones in our manufacturing facilities until they are 100% dead. We don't upgrade people until we need additional 17" monitors.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Nice post/av combo.

So I think one should always try to put out small fires if you can do it safely, before it escalates.
The fire was small and I thought it was manageable. I misjudged.

I probably would try to put out a fire again, just not ceiling fires. :v:

This is what happened.

We just had the fire training last week at work. Long story short, if it's bigger than a trashcan fire or if getting the extinguisher puts you farther from the exit, they want us to pull the alarm and get our asses out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Back in the day I had a Sony FW900 Trinitron. One of the best monitors I ever owned.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Firechat

Unless you are a fireman and your job description is literally putting out fires, then don't.
Every place I have worked have a written procedure for fires of trigger alarm, get to the safe assembly point and ensure fire brigade is called. There were obviously extinguishers etc around but the instructions for them was only in situations to aid another person or to ensure safe passage out. Preferably used by people actually trained in their use.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Crowley posted:

Apparently their techs would "accidentally" drop their laptops off the top of a wind turbine when they wanted a new one.

One of the first things I made users aware of at my work is that any abused/lost item would be promptly replaced with something from my "special stash".

The look on a doctor's face when his laptop was replaced with one 5 years older than it... I told him his next upgrade would be a Tandy.

Luckily he was old enough to understand the implication.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I just got asked out of the blue to copy files from an old windows 2003 server. Will USB drives (under 2TB) even work with a win2k3 server? We're talking a gen 3 proliant.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
So long as they present as a generic USB mass storage device (and pretty much everything USB storage related does) yes. Windows will probably complain about not being able to run the disk at USB 2 speeds. You'll be stuck at about 1 megabyte/sec throughput.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zero VGS posted:

One of the first things I made users aware of at my work is that any abused/lost item would be promptly replaced with something from my "special stash".

The look on a doctor's face when his laptop was replaced with one 5 years older than it... I told him his next upgrade would be a Tandy.

Luckily he was old enough to understand the implication.

Chapter 2 in this story is called "In which Prima Donna Doctor gets IT Guy disciplined for negatively affecting patient care."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I just got asked out of the blue to copy files from an old windows 2003 server. Will USB drives (under 2TB) even work with a win2k3 server? We're talking a gen 3 proliant.

Yeah, it'll work, but you might get better performance copying the files to a network share rather than directly over old, slow USB.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
It's an environment without internet, due to hilarious stupidity (small business/bad decisions).

  • Locked thread