Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
They probably had a much different composition in 2008, and had you rebalanced to 50/50 then the overall amount might be higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Truly criminal. "Investing is HARD and SCARY so pay us money to do it right."

thanks god for low fee ETFs and also the simplicity of passive index investment.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
After a long bout with unemployment, my wife recently got hired part time with Lowes. One of the benefits they offer is a 401(k) - they contribute as follows:

quote:

1% of compensation 1%
2% 2%
3% 3%
4% 3.5%
5% 4%
6% 4.25%
7% of compensation or higher 4.25%

Should we just go ahead and just do the 6% since that's the max they match, or should we contribute as much as we can? Money is kind of tight right now, so I don't want to go crazy, but I also don't want to pass up free money.

They also do an employee stock purchase plan at a 15% discount on the closing price of the stock at the end of the offering period, but am I better just going for a Vanguard fund?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Since you have presumably been getting by without your wife's income lately, I'd personally try to save as much of it as you can (assuming you don't have large credit card balances). Try thinking about saving 50% and putting 50% into your checking account. While it seems like a lot to be saving, that's still 50% more in your checking than you had before she got hired.

You definitely want to save at least 6% to get the full match. Depending on the terms of the stock purchase plan (how long is the holding period?) you should take advantage of it if you can afford it. If the stock price is steady for the duration of the holding period, that's a 15% return. Tough to beat that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, we've been getting by, but with her parents' assistance (though I've been trying to keep that to a minimum.) I just paid off our credit card with the tax refund, so the only large balances we have are the mortgage and the car payment. Of course, we live in the northeast though, so the cost of even day-to-day items is through the roof...

With a 401(k), can you increase your contribution at any time, or do you have to wait until a certain time period?

As for the stocks, the holding periods are 6 months - June 1 and December 1, so I'm guessing this is not optimal since the money will be just sitting there for 6 months doing nothing?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The match is free money so whatever you do get that 6%. After that start a Roth IRA if you can since you have no consumer debt. You just need to save up 1k to do that with Vanguard, then at least $100 at a time as you can to contribute to it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you have a automatic investment set up with Vanguard, it can be less than $100.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

berzerkmonkey posted:

As for the stocks, the holding periods are 6 months - June 1 and December 1, so I'm guessing this is not optimal since the money will be just sitting there for 6 months doing nothing?

Isn't that like a 15% immediate gain if you hold for 6 months? Seems like a no brainer to me depending on how liquid the shares are.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

LorneReams posted:

Isn't that like a 15% immediate gain if you hold for 6 months? Seems like a no brainer to me depending on how liquid the shares are.
Yes. It's a good deal, cash it out and throw it into retirement every 6mo.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

berzerkmonkey posted:

With a 401(k), can you increase your contribution at any time, or do you have to wait until a certain time period?
It'll depend on how her HR department set it up. I can change my contribution percentage whenever I want.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SiGmA_X posted:

Since the 15% will probably be on the basis, wouldn't it be better to transfer the stock and THEN liquidate after it's in the IRA?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

Would I immediately cash out? I'm also responsible for a broker transaction fee through eTrade - I'm thinking at the low contribution we are going to be able to make isn't going to offset the fees that are going to be charged. Or am I wrong, and the fees are relatively low?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

berzerkmonkey posted:

Would I immediately cash out? I'm also responsible for a broker transaction fee through eTrade - I'm thinking at the low contribution we are going to be able to make isn't going to offset the fees that are going to be charged. Or am I wrong, and the fees are relatively low?

Etrade should only charge you 10$ correct...that means you need a total contribution of ~$75 in a 6 month period to break even.

That's $5.77 per biweekly paycheck.

You could make this even better by dropping to one transaction a year instead of every 6 months.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That will be good to keep in mind - I just realized that she won't even be eligible until 1 full year of employment anyway, so it's a moot point for the time being. I will get on board with the 401(k) though.

Regarding the stock, would it be better to just go ahead and save that percentage of her paycheck for the year, then use that to fund the initial stock purchase? Or should I just take that extra and put it into the 401(k)? Or should I think about something else?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm pretty certain I'm asking a dumb question here, but if this is the scenario:

-In 1.5 years I want to start saving for a house
-I won't be buying the house for about ten years after I start saving
-I will have a 6 month emergency fund set aside by then(6k) and be investing at least 20k per year in retirement accounts
-I will likely be putting 12k a year into the taxable account for a decade(so after capital gains, if I get a 7% return I might end up with 147k instead of 122k or so in a bank).

Would it be sensible to open a taxable Vanguard account and use the target retirement 2025 fund for all the holdings?

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 6, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If this will be a taxable account, you should consider Vanguard funds that minimize the tax burden. The target retirement funds are best for tax-sheltered accounts like IRAs.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

If this will be a taxable account, you should consider Vanguard funds that minimize the tax burden. The target retirement funds are best for tax-sheltered accounts like IRAs.

poo poo, that's a good point. Already forgot half the stuff I read in Four Pillars. But it looks like their tax-managed funds are only available as Admiral funds, so I'd have to save up 10k to start off with Tax-Managed Balanced Fund. Which isn't the worst thing, just nice to be aware of I guess.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 6, 2014

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

LorneReams posted:

Since the 15% will probably be on the basis, wouldn't it be better to transfer the stock and THEN liquidate after it's in the IRA?

He can do that as long as the stock is purchased in an IRA. If the stock is purchased in a brokerage account he would have to sell it first because IRA contributions can only be made in cash.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

poo poo, that's a good point. Already forgot half the stuff I read in Four Pillars. But it looks like their tax-managed funds are only available as Admiral funds, so I'd have to save up 10k to start off with Tax-Managed Balanced Fund. Which isn't the worst thing, just nice to be aware of I guess.

One a side note the Wealthfront white paper is pretty interesting if you want to look at tax efficiency:
https://www.wealthfront.com/whitepapers/investment-methodology

For US investments it makes sense to buy a muni bond ETF since the dividends are exempt from federal taxes and in most cases state taxes as well.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 8, 2014

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

etalian posted:

One a side note the Wealthfront white paper is pretty interesting if you want to look at tax efficiency:
https://www.wealthfront.com/whitepapers/investment-methodology

For US investments it makes to buy a muni bond ETF since the dividends are exempt from federal taxes and in most cases state taxes as well.

This depends on what tax bracket you are in and what state you are in, right? The tax break on munis vs. corporates will not necessarily be worth it for everyone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Echo 3 posted:

This depends on what tax bracket you are in and what state you are in, right? The tax break on munis vs. corporates will not necessarily be worth it for everyone.

True but they have other good advantages such as lower volatility plus a better default rate vs options such as US corporate bonds.

I suppose there's a method to the madness for why Wealthfront uses muni bonds for taxable accounts while using emerging junk/corporate bonds for their tax free Roth IRA/401k accounts.

In my case MUB works out to a 4% yield with the tax advantage which is compared to the 4-5 percent rate you could get with riskier intermediate term bonds.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 8, 2014

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
OK, so I maxed out the contribution 401(k) for my wife, so the next step is the Roth IRA. I will get a pension from my current job, though it isn't a 401(k) - it's an actual pension, but I do contribute toward it.

Are there any potential issues with having that and a Roth? I know there are contribution limits if you have a 401(k), but I don't know if these same rules apply to pensions as well. I read the Motley Fool article referenced in the OP, and it didn't seem like I would have a problem, but I just want to confirm that before I start something.

EDIT: Looks like as long as I don't exceed my AGI, I'm good?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 9, 2014

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

berzerkmonkey posted:

OK, so I maxed out the contribution 401(k) for my wife, so the next step is the Roth IRA. I will get a pension from my current job, though it isn't a 401(k) - it's an actual pension, but I do contribute toward it.

Are there any potential issues with having that and a Roth? I know there are contribution limits if you have a 401(k), but I don't know if these same rules apply to pensions as well. I read the Motley Fool article referenced in the OP, and it didn't seem like I would have a problem, but I just want to confirm that before I start something.

EDIT: Looks like as long as I don't exceed my AGI, I'm good?

The interaction between having an employer retirement plan and limits on IRA contributions only happens for the ability to deduct Traditional IRA contributions; the Roth IRA income limit is independent of that. So yes, as long as your AGI doesn't exceed $181,000, you're good.

If you are concerned about exceeding the AGI limit, you can always contribute to a Traditional IRA and then immediately roll it over to a Roth, provided that you don't already have Traditional IRA contributions elsewhere.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever get close to that number, so I should be good.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I am currently maxing out my 401k and Roth IRA through my job.

I also have significant part time income through a sole proprietor LLC business.

Can I put additional savings in tax advantaged accounts through a SEP IRA or individual 401k on top of the 401k I have through work?

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

i81icu812 posted:

I am currently maxing out my 401k and Roth IRA through my job.

I also have significant part time income through a sole proprietor LLC business.

Can I put additional savings in tax advantaged accounts through a SEP IRA or individual 401k on top of the 401k I have through work?

Technically the Roth IRA is independent of your job, but I get what you mean.

The 17.5k limit for 401k contributions only applies to the employee's contributions. The total combined limit for 401k employee contribution + 401k employer contribution + SEP IRA contributions is 51k. There is an additional sub-limit on SEP IRA contributions, which is 25% of the income from your business.

As an example, if you max out your 401k and your employer contributes an extra 6k, you will have used 23,500 of the overall 51,000 limit. If you made an extra 24,000 on the side from your blog you can sock away another 6,000 in the SEP IRA. That brings you up to 29,500 which is still well under the overall limit. Sadly the remaining space is unusable unless you increase the income from your side business substantially. I don't believe your Roth IRA contributions matter for any of these limits.

Alternatively, if your employer offers a Roth 401k option you should consider it due to the larger effective limit it offers. Other routes to look into are accelerating any debt payments you have or looking into other tax advantaged vehicles like annuities (though this might not be better than taxable accounts). I would just take a nice vacation at this point though.

I am not a tax professional and you should definitely check this advice against a real life professional before setting up an SEP IRA. I am only moderately sure of the information above so if you get dinged by the IRS I will take no responsibility and will probably laugh at you.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Awesome. Thanks.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I believe the $17.5k cap includes both SEP and 401k contributions as an employee, though, doesn't it? The reason I decided to go with a solo 401k (through Vanguard, really easy) instead of a SEP or SIMPLE was because of some cap or restriction or something on the other options - sorry, don't remember the exact details. However, a solo 401k allows you to contribute as both employer and employee, so you can put more money in.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

moana posted:

I believe the $17.5k cap includes both SEP and 401k contributions as an employee, though, doesn't it? The reason I decided to go with a solo 401k (through Vanguard, really easy) instead of a SEP or SIMPLE was because of some cap or restriction or something on the other options - sorry, don't remember the exact details. However, a solo 401k allows you to contribute as both employer and employee, so you can put more money in.

As an employee sure, but the 25% business income you can add in addition is acting like an employer match, even if you are the only employee.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Vilgan posted:

As an employee sure, but the 25% business income you can add in addition is acting like an employer match, even if you are the only employee.
I misspoke, I was thinking of a SIMPLE IRA which you can't contribute to if you've already maxed your normal work's 401k (which he has). A SEP and a solo 401k have the same cap outside of normal 401k contributions.

The benefit of a solo 401k over a SEP is then just that you can do penalty-free loans from a solo 401k which you can't do with a SEP. Right? Also if you do end up working for yourself full-time you can still contribute the 401k cap as an employee to a solo 401k which you can't do with a SEP.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
So ideal situation, I max out a ROTH IRA, max work ROTH 401k, and fund solo 401k up to $52,000 - 17,500 - employer matching contribution.

Where funding for the solo 401k is limited to 25% of side business profit, funded as employer contribution.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 13, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Is it 25% or 20? I'm not sure. Anyway, yes. Also consider bugging your company to offer an HSA so you can tuck away another $3k or so in there.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

i81icu812 posted:

So ideal situation, I max out a work ROTH IRA, max ROTH 401k, and fund solo 401k up to $52,000 - 17,500 - employer matching contribution.

Where funding for the solo 401k is limited to 25% of side business profit, funded as employer contribution.

Everybody keeps talking about "work" Roth IRAs as if they're a thing that exists.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

SpelledBackwards posted:

Everybody keeps talking about "work" Roth IRAs as if they're a thing that exists.
They mean personal Roth or Roth 401(k), I assume. But let's not use 'work Roth' because that doesn't exist.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Dammit, yes work ROTH 401k. Word order got mixed up.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

So, MY WIFE and I are debt free - no student loans, car payments, or unsecured debt. Our combined income is 100k, and we have 11k in savings (we had 25k until we recently decided to use a big chunk to pay off a loan). What are some good short-term investment options? We are possibly facing a move/relocation in the next year. Should we focus on rebuilding our savings? We were also considering maxing out our 410k.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

moana posted:

Is it 25% or 20? I'm not sure. Anyway, yes. Also consider bugging your company to offer an HSA so you can tuck away another $3k or so in there.

You must have a high deductible health plan to use an HSA. Not everyone can do it.

Edit: I mention this because it is a (rare) case where you have to sacrifice something, potentially a better health plan, to be eligible to make these contributions. It is not nearly as straightforward as savings in a 401k or IRA where you only sacrifice immediate access to the money.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 13, 2014

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

IT BURNS posted:

So, MY WIFE and I are debt free - no student loans, car payments, or unsecured debt. Our combined income is 100k, and we have 11k in savings (we had 25k until we recently decided to use a big chunk to pay off a loan). What are some good short-term investment options? We are possibly facing a move/relocation in the next year. Should we focus on rebuilding our savings? We were also considering maxing out our 410k.

Emergency fund (6+ months) > 401k (up to match)

Given tour upcoming move, I would just save up for those expenses, and then you can decide on how you want to invest.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

You must have a high deductible health plan to use an HSA. Not everyone can do it.

Edit: I mention this because it is a (rare) case where you have to sacrifice something, potentially a better health plan, to be eligible to make these contributions. It is not nearly as straightforward as savings in a 401k or IRA where you only sacrifice immediate access to the money.
High-deductible plans are often the financially better option if you have the savings to afford the higher deductible and are otherwise young and healthy. Yes, not everyone can do an HSA, but it's a great option for those who can, since it's totally tax-free savings as long as you (eventually) spend the month on health care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

IT BURNS posted:

I'd vote for more savings, you want to shoot for 6mo of expenses - especially if you're moving. Are you saving 15% gross for retirement ATM? You need to be.

MickeyFinn posted:

Definitely true. But people should evaluate their health care options and make a well educated decisions. For example, my employer offers a HDHP that works out to be cheaper than the low deductible plan up until ~$6,140 in expenses per year. My risk tolerance says I should save on the front and back end as I don't hit that many dollars in expenses per year, unless I herniate another disk :-/

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 13, 2014