Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Spacebump posted:

I've finally started Mother 3. I know it won't be as good as Earthbound but am looking forward to playing it. Is there anything non-spoilerly that I should know?

I could see somebody arguing that Mother 3 is as good as Earthbound and I wouldn't even think they were crazy. Great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

I've finally started Mother 3. I know it won't be as good as Earthbound but am looking forward to playing it. Is there anything non-spoilerly that I should know?

The game kind of drags at the beginning, with the nadir being a level where (super minor spoilers)you're navigating a castle full of ghosts with only a single character in your party. Once you make it past that part it gets a lot better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
My advice would be to make really good friends with your emulator's fast forward key for trash fights. The game really sucks at pacing so do everything you can to make them less painful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh that's really interesting. Yeah I think I remembered hearing that it wasn't actually a rape and he just misunderstood the lovemaking scene, but I was fuzzy on the details.

poo poo's weird.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the director's weird repressed childhood experience of seeing some kind of crazy japanese tentacle rape murder movie as a young kid and not knowing how the gently caress to process that, filtered through Peanuts and American culture. That's where the Cthulhu stuff comes from.

Parents, watch yo kids :stare: Although I guess its those weird tortured creatives which give us things like Earthbound
You can't call your dad with a broken telephone, goon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So we know a group of fans are making an unofficial Mother 4 game which... well, I haven't heard a peep from that project in a long time. Too bad.

And we also know some rom hackers are converting Earthbound into Mother 1 which is making progress, although it'll be a while before that's finished.

Now I've discovered another fan game that looks really good called Eagleland.

Enjoy a little walk around town

Again, no idea how close to completion it is. What I think may be most amazing is that it's being made in RPG Maker 2003

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Coolguye posted:

My advice would be to make really good friends with your emulator's fast forward key for trash fights. The game really sucks at pacing so do everything you can to make them less painful.

Nah, you should use them to practice the rhythm attacks. Also, don't hoard your healing items, buffs and debuffs are actually useful, and enjoy the ride.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

That loving Sned posted:

buffs and debuffs are actually useful

This especially. One of your characters is a thief whose "Thief Tools" let him inflict status effects, half of the game's difficulty comes from figuring out what status effects effect what enemy; once you know what enemies in each area can be put to sleep or paralyzed you'll steamroll everyone in your way. Same with bosses, most boss battles boil down to buffing your party and debuffing the boss.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rhythm attacks are only useful if you get particularly good at them, which just isn't in the cards for a lot of people. And even if you do, they're probably about 3rd or 4th priority after (de)buffs, healing and situational items, and understanding any vulnerabilities the enemy has (if any).

They're cool but I don't find them so useful that they're worth consuming the player's patience on, particularly when there are so many sequences in the game that will consume a lot of patience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This especially. One of your characters is a thief whose "Thief Tools" let him inflict status effects, half of the game's difficulty comes from figuring out what status effects effect what enemy; once you know what enemies in each area can be put to sleep or paralyzed you'll steamroll everyone in your way. Same with bosses, most boss battles boil down to buffing your party and debuffing the boss.

Yeah and they're all free to use as well, so definitely take advantage of them all the time!

I love it when buffs and especially debuffs in jrpgs are worth a drat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus the rhythm itself isn't as consistent compared to playing the actual cartridge, so you could have the best rhythm in the world but still need to memorize timings for each attack/creature instead.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Rhythm attacks just don't really work on an emulator. Unless there have been strides in the last few years that I am not aware of.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Earthbound is a lot lighter in tone than Mother 3. Mother 3 is one emotional kick in the nuts after another until the very end.

If you have the means to play it on a DS via homebrew, do that. Rhythm attacks are hard to pull off on a regular emulator.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just checked and the emulator I used has some kind of adjustable setting called "frame skip" which I feel like I may have changed to get the rhythm attacks more in sync, but I can't really remember...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Or don't bother, they're not critical by any stretch of the imagination and your alternative is sitting on the fast forward button to get through the billionth fight with a ku-ray-zee chimera in half the usual time, which I maintain is the superior option.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus the rhythm itself isn't as consistent compared to playing the actual cartridge, so you could have the best rhythm in the world but still need to memorize timings for each attack/creature instead.

Yeah, I played it on a GBA flash card, so it probably wouldn't work as well on an emulator with all sorts of things to introduce latency. Since the GBA is directly connected to both its controls and its screen, it would assume both would have a tiny amount of latency.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

If you want to get better with the rhythm, put enemies to sleep, and you'll hear their "heartbeat" over the music. That's the timing you need to do. Really, you should do the rhythm every time you use a regular attack, because you can get a free 200% extra damage if you get a full combo, and it feels good man.

Nth'ing the "Use buffs/debuffs", they really turn the game to your side.

And use all consumables as you need them, you'll get enough through the game and they'll suck up inventory space otherwise.

Play with the music on, enjoy your rear end. Love the monkey.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whenever someone comments that they just can't beat a certain boss I just know they forgot to buff and, more importantly, debuff properly.

The Barrier Trio is a literal brick wall if you forget to debuff them unless you're massively overleveled.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My main advice to anyone playing Mother 3 is don't go into expecting more Earthbound. It's not a game where you start off as one character and make a party of 4 best friends, it's a game where you jump around from character to character and get your heart broken along the way.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

triplexpac posted:

get your heart broken along the way.

Understatement.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing EB1 for the first time ever. I got to ... fourside? the town after the desert. I had to go back to the desert and kill 5 moles or something? is it obvious what to do after that?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

redreader posted:

I'm playing EB1 for the first time ever. I got to ... fourside? the town after the desert. I had to go back to the desert and kill 5 moles or something? is it obvious what to do after that?

Maybe talk to the mayor and then go check out the local night life. I heard there was some good bands in fourside. The bars there are kinda fun too. The mall has something interesting but do yourself a favor have bring bottle rockets and the franklin badge.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 14, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is the Sword of Kings really worth grinding Starman Supers? My guys are about level 70 or so and I don't want to overlevel Ness to 99 and miss out on the Magicant boost.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Is the Sword of Kings really worth grinding Starman Supers? My guys are about level 70 or so and I don't want to overlevel Ness to 99 and miss out on the Magicant boost.

Not even in the slightest. It mostly just bragging rights and a minor boost. Being so overleveled makes the game a cakewalk anyways.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Starhawk64 posted:

The only reason to collect the Sword of Kings is if you really, really want it. Its stat boosts aren't anything spectacular. All the EXP you get farming for it probably does more for you than the sword itself.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

That Magicant boost matters more than the sword does and the grinding is tedious. Poo should be using PSI most rounds anyway, since it's really easy to get his PP back up with water or Brain Food.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's what I kinda figured. On one hand, it's not right not having all of Poo's equipment slots filled, on the other through, it's a pain to get and without it I can use the extra inventory slot for another Brain Food Lunch or Horn of Life. I pretty much have Poo use his Psi more anyway, especially after he gets Starstorm.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

That's what I kinda figured. On one hand, it's not right not having all of Poo's equipment slots filled, on the other through, it's a pain to get and without it I can use the extra inventory slot for another Brain Food Lunch or Horn of Life. I pretty much have Poo use his Psi more anyway, especially after he gets Starstorm.

You could always give him a yoyo :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sword of Kings actually makes Poo a passable physical attacker, which can be handy depending on what you're doing. It's fantastic for a low level run.

But for a general run yeah, just stock up on Brain Food Lunches and let the PSI fly.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I never have much of a problem getting the Sword of Kings (even in my original SNES playthrough), but I have never, ever seen the Gutsy Bat, emulator tricks and all. It's a piece of poo poo!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I never have much of a problem getting the Sword of Kings (even in my original SNES playthrough), but I have never, ever seen the Gutsy Bat, emulator tricks and all. It's a piece of poo poo!!

I'm the opposite, I've gotten the gutsy bat multiple times but never saw the sword of kings in person.

Honestly though that's such a great grinding spot if you want to not have to worry about anything for the rest of the game that it's worth trying to get anyway. Each fight is just against one enemy and you just have to face down after you collide to always get the surprise attack.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

My only big issue with mother 3 is the intro, it takes forever to get into the meat of the game.

EB has a lot more charm, I feel. But Mother 3 has a lot of quality of life improvements, looks prettier, and still has some trippy scenes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mother 3 felt like it did a worse job railroading you in a specific direction. I know that Earthbound's plot is almost completely linear (excluding the specific order you can tackle some late game bosses) but the fact that you get to explore all of Not-America and can just wander all over really made the game feel bigger than it is. Mother 3 basically gives you a straight line from point A to point B until much later in the game, and by that point the story just hadn't grabbed me enough to keep me engaged.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I feel similarly about it. Mother 3 revels in its excessive pathos, but I never found myself caring about the characters like I did in EB even though they barely talk. To me it came across as trying too hard to be emotionally affecting with too little genuine charm behind it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hell, isn't the most Ness ever says actually his thoughts written on a wall?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yes. he and Crono would get along wonderfully

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

homeless poster posted:

Mother 3 felt like it did a worse job railroading you in a specific direction. I know that Earthbound's plot is almost completely linear (excluding the specific order you can tackle some late game bosses) but the fact that you get to explore all of Not-America and can just wander all over really made the game feel bigger than it is. Mother 3 basically gives you a straight line from point A to point B until much later in the game, and by that point the story just hadn't grabbed me enough to keep me engaged.

Yeah. Between that and the tone, as a childhood fan of Earthbound, Mother 3 did nothing for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yes. he and Crono would get along wonderfully

My favorite silent protagonist is Mario RPG's Mario. He's totally silent, and yet he still has to have conversations with characters. So he does it in charades, which is just amazing.

What's that boy? Peach is trapped at the bottom of a well? Lets go!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zaphod42 posted:

My favorite silent protagonist is Mario RPG's Mario. He's totally silent, and yet he still has to have conversations with characters. So he does it in charades, which is just amazing.

What's that boy? Peach is trapped at the bottom of a well? Lets go!
I enjoy how he literally turns into Bowser to express the concept that "Bowser did poo poo", which you would think every single person in Mushroom Kingdom would be totally used to by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I decided to replay the Mother series this month+over the summer, starting with the English fan translation of the GBA remake. I'm currently 3 characters and 3 melodies in, messing around Halloween/Spookane. PK Beam Gamma can go straight to hell, always hitting the ones who don't have the Franklin Badge. :argh:

I've beaten the first game once, Mother 3 once in Japanese, and EarthBound like ten million times since the year it came out. Someone earlier in the thread talked about how it felt more like you were exploring in EB compared to Mother 3, which is more linear. Mother has that wandering/exploration feel too, but it can be hard to know what you're supposed to do next without a guide. I love the exploration aspect, though.

It's also kinda neat to see a few people from the old Starmen.net days posting here. It was my first online community. :shobon:

• Locked thread