Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

njsykora posted:

The counterpoint here is that PPVs won't be live in the UK, and it's uncertain whether they will be elsewhere. Also they expect the international launch to take them over 1.5m last I heard, but that was when they still expected 1m US. Also all the hardcores who'd have it day 1 basically have it now. I don't think they're getting another 500-600k subs when they go live internationally.

I think they will get above 1 million. Right now I bet a lot of people don't have the Network because they're too lazy/paranoid/not very tech savvy, and will grab it when it comes along legally. Plus they'll be launching internationally hopefully in prime season before the Rumble.

I'm just nervous they'll panic, think this is a sprint rather than a marathon, and hit the 'abort' button. I don't think that will happen, they've put way too many eggs in this basket to just give up on it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A lot of people might also be waiting for all the bugs to be worked out.

I still can't watch it in Chrome in Windows 8. It just redirects me to http://network.wwe.com/get-the-app/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Seems like WWE is still editing PPVs after the fact. Extreme Rules has an alternate angle so you can see Bad News' pyro, Ambrose's "believe in the shield, bitch" had the naughty word removed and there's an earlier cut so you can see HHH taking the backdrop in the stands.

LividLiquid posted:

A lot of people might also be waiting for all the bugs to be worked out.

I still can't watch it in Chrome in Windows 8. It just redirects me to http://network.wwe.com/get-the-app/

You have to go into about :config - find dom.w3c_touch_events.enabled and change the value to 0

There's some type of thing on the site that checks to see what your screen resolution is and whether it's a touch screen. If you don't pass, you get sent to the get-the-app page.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 11, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Call Me Charlie posted:

You have to go into about :config - find dom.w3c_touch_events.enabled and change the value to 0

There's some type of thing on the site that checks to see what your screen resolution is and whether it's a touch screen. If you don't pass, you get sent to the get-the-app page.

Thanks for posting this, I finally get to watch the network in chrome on my laptop instead of having to switch to IE.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

How does one get to about :config in Chrome? Because it's not about :Config.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

LividLiquid posted:

chrome://flags gives you a number of "be horrified about changing these settings" settings, and about halfway down there are a couple of touchscreeen flags ("enable touch events" and "touch optimized UI"). I have no idea if this is going to help, but since "Enable touch events" is set to enable touchscreen support when it detects one, that might be a good place to start.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LividLiquid posted:

you want chrome://flags instead

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

LividLiquid posted:

Ah, poo poo. Sorry. That's for Firefox.

You want

quote:

FOR THOSE THAT CAN'T GET WWE NETWORK TO WORK ON CHROME
There's a bug with WWE Network that causes it to read certain touchscreen pc's as mobile devices.
Here's the fix. You have to disable touchscreen options in Chrome.

In chrome, type into the address bar: chrome://flags/
Then search for the word "touch" in the settings there and disable the settings that enable touch events. Specifically, I believe I disabled:

Enable touch events Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
Touch Optimized UI Windows
Enable touch initiated drag and drop Windows, Chrome OS

Close and restart Chrome and it should work.

EasyEW posted:

chrome://flags gives you a number of "be horrified about changing these settings" settings, and about halfway down there are a couple of touchscreeen flags ("enable touch events" and "touch optimized UI"). I have no idea if this is going to help, but since "Enable touch events" is set to enable touchscreen support when it detects one, that might be a good place to start.

If I remember right, it's on by default in Chrome even if you don't have a touch screen.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 11, 2014

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

njsykora posted:

The counterpoint here is that PPVs won't be live in the UK, and it's uncertain whether they will be elsewhere. Also they expect the international launch to take them over 1.5m last I heard, but that was when they still expected 1m US. Also all the hardcores who'd have it day 1 basically have it now. I don't think they're getting another 500-600k subs when they go live internationally.

Yeah, Sky has WWE content on lockdown. They won't be ok with PPVs being on there. UK/Ireland won't be seeing the Network any time soon.

Luckily I have unblock

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Yeah, Sky has WWE content on lockdown. They won't be ok with PPVs being on there. UK/Ireland won't be seeing the Network any time soon.

Luckily I have unblock

Part of the press release at launch said that UK, Canada, Australia and Nordic countries were scheduled for late 2014/early 2015 so clearly something is going to happen.

Bit odd that Germany isn't part of that first non-US wave though, considering its the largest non-UK (if not outright largest) Euro market.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thanks for the help, folks. I'll try that when I get home.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'd be surprised and disappointed if WWE network launched in the UK without PPVs (live? after the fact?), seeing as it's self-admitted the main draw of the network itself, and that PPVs don't bring them in anywhere close to the additonal revenue comapred to a network sub in the UK because of timeslot leading to ~£15 price points per ppv. They should know that competing with piracy is a thing they should be doing in the UK, and not giving away PPVs isn't the way to go about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blasmeister posted:

I'd be surprised and disappointed if WWE network launched in the UK without PPVs (live? after the fact?), seeing as it's self-admitted the main draw of the network itself, and that PPVs don't bring them in anywhere close to the additonal revenue comapred to a network sub in the UK because of timeslot leading to ~£15 price points per ppv. They should know that competing with piracy is a thing they should be doing in the UK, and not giving away PPVs isn't the way to go about it.

They got such a huge increase in their UK TV deal they probably don't care if it means weakening the Network in that country. We'll see what their plan is in 5 or 6 months.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

MassRafTer posted:

They got such a huge increase in their UK TV deal they probably don't care if it means weakening the Network in that country. We'll see what their plan is in 5 or 6 months.

I guess. It's only a minor inconvenience for me either way, but I'd like to see wrestling grow here and tethering themselves to sky really doesn't help them with that

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I wonder if they might give the UK a discounted rate to try to boost the numbers? I know I wouldn't pay $10 a month if PPVs weren't included.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Every time I check this thread, there is always some comment about how it's stupid to take away the PPVs, or how they should remove the PPVs to be more profitable.

JUST ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

Every time I check this thread, there is always some comment about how it's stupid to take away the PPVs, or how they should remove the PPVs to be more profitable.

The discussion is about a launch in the UK where in theory people are not able to enjoy this yet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like the network a lot more now that I can watch Clash of the Champions. I never saw more than a couple when I was getting into watching wrestling since I started in '97, and the early ones are great to slot in chronological order between the WCW pay per views of the time.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Astro7x posted:

Every time I check it it's MRT saying "Well I don't watch the Network but they should add ol' Buttfuck Jimbob versus Moondog Fart from Eastern Western Smokey Desert National Alliance or else Vince doesn't deserve my god damned money"

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

FOR THE RECORD they have still not added Buttfuck Jimbob vs. Moondog Fart. I check every day out of habit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mob posted:

Every time I check it it's MRT saying "Well I don't watch the Network but they should add ol' Buttfuck Jimbob versus Moondog Fart from Eastern Western Smokey Desert National Alliance or else Vince doesn't deserve my god damned money"

This is amazing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mob posted:

That's an extra 70k subscribers right there.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Memento posted:

That's an extra 70k subscribers right there.

And they say Moondog never drew a dime.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mob posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mob posted:

or people saying "yeah they HAVE to double the price, how can they not in the future?" because they're not THAT stupid

the Network is really good, and it'll get better in the future. If you pay for a year you get 12 PPVs for what two used to cost. Chillllllllllll.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Price increases have massive negative PR. De facto price decreases via bundling usually market better (25$ free gift card!) because removing them is a price increase but because you don't phrase it that way, people don't get mad.

Also, grandfathering the current price in through next mania and bumping up the price then would be a strategy to keep people subbed over the fall gap that might work.

Right now the Network to me is NXT + PPVs + Originals like Countdown and Legends. It's carrying its weight I think so far, thankfully because my fiancee likes Countdown and Legends. She likes the meta-WWE more than the WWE shows themselves, so having a package of "This is storylines" works well for her.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

These kinds of things just aren't adopted in really heavy numbers overnight. I've turned some friends on to it recently but not until I had the chance to show them first had the wealth of archived content. Once we fired up an old WCW show or Attitude era PPV, they lit up. That's just anecdotal at this point, but I think there's merit to it.

They're doing the right things. Just keep doing them and people will come. The big thing is keeping the product moving forward. The current product is better and as long as that continues, numbers will come.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

As a side note, how does the growth of the Network in it's first three months compare to the first three months of other digital services like Netflix?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For price increase reference, Netflix raised their price by £1 a month to £7 and got such a backlash they had to guarantee the old price to existing customers for 2 years.

No way in hell can WWE raise it by $5 any time soon.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

As a side note, how does the growth of the Network in it's first three months compare to the first three months of other digital services like Netflix?

I don't think you can compare the two. Netflix was a pioneer, really, and now that people are more used to the idea of the model it makes life easier for something like the WWE Network.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Netflix also existed as a disc service for years and the first streaming content basically sucked. I say this as someone who used both a decent amount. No one cared about streaming until Netflix got its incredibly sweetheart deal with Starz.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's still largely terrible as far as content goes. There's a reason why everyone uses Unblocker.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I don't think you can compare the two. Netflix was a pioneer, really, and now that people are more used to the idea of the model it makes life easier for something like the WWE Network.

Yeah, and I got an email recently that said Netflix has to increase their price $1/month over now for new customers. It's to help cover rights fees for content. And Netflix is at a much bigger scale than WWE Network, no doubt, but that's "just" $1 a month...WWE Network won't be increasing the price anytime soon. Their best move has been requiring a 6-month commitment, because it still seems reasonable while giving them six months of $10/month from x00,000 subscribers...do the math.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I love the network and can't wait until they add more WCW and Hardcore TV. I'm totally cool with rolling out content slowly because they have thousands and thousands of content. I hope like a year from now they have docs of wrestlers that aren't "dvd ready". Ya know, Rick Rude, DiBiase, Harley Race.

Right now I think we're just feeling spoiled by what we know other services do and what we know WWE can do with their the library. It's only 3 months old. As long as when they add old Saturday Nights it's at 6:05 I'm fine with the progress and future.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I am going to keep renewing until I get my AWA Turkey On A Pole match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mob posted:

Moondog Fart was from Memphis if you knew anything you would know this come on. He's the one with the bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxoVCBfrbrg

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

MassRafTer posted:

Moondog Fart was from Memphis if you knew anything you would know this come on. He's the one with the bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxoVCBfrbrg

I'm glad you know I was just busting your balls and I'm also starving for more territory content

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
So what the hell is Wrestlemania Rewind tonight? Preview last week said Hogan vs Savage from WM5 but schedule says Triple H vs Jericho, which I think they already showed. I remember that episode was 90% HHH return, 10% HHH-Jericho feud.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DudeDeuce posted:

So what the hell is Wrestlemania Rewind tonight? Preview last week said Hogan vs Savage from WM5 but schedule says Triple H vs Jericho, which I think they already showed. I remember that episode was 90% HHH return, 10% HHH-Jericho feud.

That's the only episode on the schedule all week so I'd imagine it's a repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm a real big fan of the non-Flair Legends of Wrestling roundtables but I've never watched any of these early ones that just concentrate on two older stars. I'll probably start with the Lawler/JYD one since it seems the most personally interesting, though I'm sure the Piper one has a ton of poo poo worth seeing.