Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

This can't be what it looks like. What is the Japanese legal system like, that these shows don't get buried under zillion-yen lawsuits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

All I can think is in Space Quest 2 you use a plunger to stick to a wall and avoid a similar fate.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Centripetal Horse posted:

This can't be what it looks like. What is the Japanese legal system like, that these shows don't get buried under zillion-yen lawsuits?

There's gotta be a massive crash mat down there. I do wonder just how far they drop though. Also what the deal is with the plunger.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally widely propagated "fact" among Russians: any time there has been a major social (as opposed to natural) disaster (eg fall of Rome, Hitler) it coincided with the rise of pro-homo sentiment and homo empowerment. Makes you think huh?

e: Of course this is because anti-homoism is exactly the same thing for the current party in power that anti-semitism was for the nazis and thus stuff like this gets printed/aired.

On the other hand, they have published the judges' votes and public votes separately and Conchita still placed third in the public vote in Russia.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Centripetal Horse posted:

The fall apparently is only a couple of meters with CG providing the final effect of her "falling" into oblivion.
However I think this is also the show that got pulled after someone drowned on it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Magres posted:

The video right after the broken mirror is bewildering. Like that is apparently a luchador lapdance mid-match? :wtc:
Watch indie wrestling for any amount of time and this will seem entirely normal.

I once saw a match that featured a retrospective of one wrestler's career partly acted out in the ring not only mid-match, but mid-pin.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Magres posted:

The video right after the broken mirror is bewildering. Like that is apparently a luchador lapdance mid-match? :wtc:

Eh, you watch Indie wrestling for long enough and that becomes pretty run of the mill. I mean, a Japanese promotion have had multiple blow up dolls as wrestlers and even had an invisible wrestler.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WebDog posted:

The fall apparently is only a couple of meters with CG providing the final effect of her "falling" into oblivion.
However I think this is also the show that got pulled after someone drowned on it.
This piqued my curiosity, so I looked it up. Apparently it wasn't an accident on the show itself so much as it was one of the contest "rooms" it featured was too evocative of how some people died during the Fukushima disaster. It got succeeded by a similar show called TORE!. Both these shows look fun.

Testekill posted:

Also what the deal is with the plunger.
They use it for balance, I think? Here's a translated episode of DERO on Youtube.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 08:08 on May 13, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder if there'll come a time where getting caught in apparent death traps for the sake of reality TV will be such a regular occurrence in Japan that people will get complacent about it. When kids forget to do their homework they won't say "My dog ate it!" but "I got stripped naked and chained upside down inside a perspex box full of scorpions and people in monkey costumes whipped the soles of my feet with live eels for 6 hours." "That's the fourth time this month, Yoshi!! :raise:"

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I watched a show about sports mascots recently and discovered that whenever they beat on people like that it's always a buddy of theirs who is in on the joke and has agreed to act like a douchey fan of the other team which is obvious in retrospect but still pretty disappointing. :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beeswax posted:

On the other hand, they have published the judges' votes and public votes separately and Conchita still placed third in the public vote in Russia.

Well widely propagated doesn't mean unanimously accepted which is a small comfort at least.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

This is from a tv advert

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

2013/14Lakers.gif

People posting about kitchen poo poo a couple pages back reminded me about some personal schadenfruede.

My mom had a set of Corning Ware kitchen ware when I was growing up. To those who don't know, this stuff is supposedly indestructible, or at least break-resistant. The stuff really was durable. You could drop a plate on the ground and it wouldn't even chip or crack. We had plates, bowls, teacups, the whole deal, and many of them found their way to the ground over the years. Nothing ever broke.

One day I was helping my mom put dishes away and I grabbed a stack of dishes that was a little unstable. "Be careful with that," my mom said. "Well, whatever. They're unbreakable. But you're picking those up if you drop them."

Naturally, I did drop one. I still don't know what happened, but one bowl hit the ground and loving exploded into a thousand tiny pieces, which scattered all over the kitchen and dining room. It was like seeing a burst of fireworks in two dimensions go off across the kitchen floor. Each piece was a little cube, just a few millimeters across. It took forever to pick up.

I guess Corning Ware doesn't break often, but when it does it goes all-out.

Epilogue: Years later, my sister and I found ourselves talking about it. She said must have exaggerated or was outright lying, since she wasn't there and had never seen one break. She took a few bowls and started dropping them on the ground, one at a time. Despite that one explosion, I wasn't really worried because she was right: it had happened so many times, even though I did remember breaking one when I was younger. She dropped three one the ground, no problem.

I got into the spirit and dropped one on the ground. It loving exploded, just like before.

My sister didn't help me clean it up. :negative:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It blows my mind how ignorant people are about dangerous, wild animals.

I think these guys had some legitimate reason for being near this tiger, but I just like the gif because it's terrifying and awesome.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I watched a show about sports mascots recently and discovered that whenever they beat on people like that it's always a buddy of theirs who is in on the joke and has agreed to act like a douchey fan of the other team which is obvious in retrospect but still pretty disappointing. :(

Same with those kiss cam pranks and marriage proposal failures. I snopes'd a friend who posted a video of a guy acting like a complete douche and pretending to be on the phone during the kiss cam at some minor league game (the girlfriend dumped a drink on his head) and my friend got all pissed that I ruined his day.

The video was so clearly staged, I don't know why he was upset :confused:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Its like wanting to believe in Santa Clause but for adults.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ehud posted:

It blows my mind how ignorant people are about dangerous, wild animals.

Bison are pretty much just dumb placid cows, right? :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcTkgeqnQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvTHOrTf_Y

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah, those things (especially the older borosilicate ones) have a huge amount of compressive stress baked into the outer layers of the glass, which helps prevent cracking and breakage from heat and impact. But when they do break, all of that stress is suddenly released, with spectacular results.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

One Swell Foop posted:

Yeah, those things (especially the older borosilicate ones) have a huge amount of compressive stress baked into the outer layers of the glass, which helps prevent cracking and breakage from heat and impact. But when they do break, all of that stress is suddenly released, with spectacular results.

I'll say. It was an explosion. I think my mom had an old school set. It was from the 1970's, but I don't know if that constitutes "old" or what these were made of. Still, they weren't bad dishes. I just never figured out what I did to blow up those bowls. I'm just a disaster magnet, I guess.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

shinymodem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQ9NYzbxno

Andrew W. K. eating a trinidad moruga scorpion pepper while reviewing brick breaker. The entire channel is great for this thread, but I think this one is the best.

The pizza place down the road is doing their Fiery Death specialty this week. Scorpion and Ghost peppers. mmmmmmm

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ehud posted:

I think these guys had some legitimate reason for being near this tiger, but I just like the gif because it's terrifying and awesome.

That gif cuts out the scariest part of the video. That tiger came out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZia7L2ZbQ&t=116s

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

That gif cuts out the scariest part of the video. That tiger came out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZia7L2ZbQ&t=116s

That's really cool. If you look super closely with hindsight then you can just about see a tigerish patch in the grass, but yeah, they had no way of knowing that thing was there.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Railing Kill posted:

:words: Exploding dishes.

I had this happen a couple weeks ago. Glass baking dish, nigh indestructible, roasted some potatoes in it and put it down on top of the stove so I didn't have to get out a potholder thing to protect my counter. I just managed to scoop all the potatoes out and turn around to walk away and it just EXPLODED. I actually ruined the shirt I was wearing and had a decent cut in my back from one of the shards.

In hindsight, this is why you put hot bakeware down on an insulator: to prevent rapid, uneven cooling. These things are supposed to have super low thermal expansion coefficiencts, that's the entire reason they're oven-safe, but if you cool it fast enough it will gently caress you up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I had this happen a couple weeks ago. Glass baking dish, nigh indestructible, roasted some potatoes in it and put it down on top of the stove so I didn't have to get out a potholder thing to protect my counter. I just managed to scoop all the potatoes out and turn around to walk away and it just EXPLODED. I actually ruined the shirt I was wearing and had a decent cut in my back from one of the shards.

In hindsight, this is why you put hot bakeware down on an insulator: to prevent rapid, uneven cooling. These things are supposed to have super low thermal expansion coefficiencts, that's the entire reason they're oven-safe, but if you cool it fast enough it will gently caress you up.

Check the video (not schadenfreude) but interesting.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/january/home-garden/glass-cookware/glass-cookware/index.htm

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

It really is interesting stuff (my degrees are in physics, though I never really delved into thermodynamics too deeply). I looked into this in depth to find out what happened and love seeing a pretty rigorous comparison between the borosilicates and the new crap. My old Pyrex dishes are still amazing, it was the brand new Anchor dish made of the new sodalime that blew up on me.

In actual Schadenfreude news, can we all soak in the glorious yet predictable response to Ann Coulter being a raging thundercunt (as usual) who desperately needs to be dragged under a bus driving through a field of razor wire and HIV-contaminated needles?

Here Is a Collection of Twitter Trolls Teaching Photoshop to Ann Coulter

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Railing Kill posted:

2013/14Lakers.gif

People posting about kitchen poo poo a couple pages back reminded me about some personal schadenfruede.

My mom had a set of Corning Ware kitchen ware when I was growing up. To those who don't know, this stuff is supposedly indestructible, or at least break-resistant. The stuff really was durable. You could drop a plate on the ground and it wouldn't even chip or crack. We had plates, bowls, teacups, the whole deal, and many of them found their way to the ground over the years. Nothing ever broke.

One day I was helping my mom put dishes away and I grabbed a stack of dishes that was a little unstable. "Be careful with that," my mom said. "Well, whatever. They're unbreakable. But you're picking those up if you drop them."

Naturally, I did drop one. I still don't know what happened, but one bowl hit the ground and loving exploded into a thousand tiny pieces, which scattered all over the kitchen and dining room. It was like seeing a burst of fireworks in two dimensions go off across the kitchen floor. Each piece was a little cube, just a few millimeters across. It took forever to pick up.

Epilogue: Years later, my sister and I found ourselves talking about it. She said must have exaggerated or was outright lying, since she wasn't there and had never seen one break. She took a few bowls and started dropping them on the ground, one at a time. Despite that one explosion, I wasn't really worried because she was right: it had happened so many times, even though I did remember breaking one when I was younger. She dropped three one the ground, no problem.

I got into the spirit and dropped one on the ground. It loving exploded, just like before.

My sister didn't help me clean it up. :negative:

Corning Corelle is similarly durable but god help you if it breaks. Unlike CorningWare this stuff shatters into billions of tiny slivers of glass. No matter how well you clean it up you're going to find a few slivers with your foot later on.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I love it when conservatives try to hijack hashtags or start new dumb ones like Paul Ryan's #SevenTrilionDebtFail or something, and then it backfires horribly :unsmigghh:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

"Razor scooter, I choose you!"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

So what did redshirt do to diverse a potentially lethal attack? This isn't supposed to be the "watch fukrs get beat #WORLDSTAR!!!!" thread, it's supposed to be the "watch idiots get what's coming to them due to their own stupidity" thread

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

MisterOblivious posted:

Corning Corelle is similarly durable but god help you if it breaks. Unlike CorningWare this stuff shatters into billions of tiny slivers of glass. No matter how well you clean it up you're going to find a few slivers with your foot later on.

Vaguely related, and really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-f4gokRBs

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It looks like there's several people getting their rear end beat here...

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sentient Data posted:

So what did redshirt do to diverse a potentially lethal attack? This isn't supposed to be the "watch fukrs get beat #WORLDSTAR!!!!" thread, it's supposed to be the "watch idiots get what's coming to them due to their own stupidity" thread

Someone getting hit by a scooter was hilarious enough by itself for me, but just for you I looked it up and it turns out the guy in red throws the first punch, at a guy who is on the phone and doesn't want to fight. So you can safely enjoy your delicious schadenfreude :woop:

There's a video here:
http://www.flyheight.com/videos/first-shovels-to-the-head-now-scooters-guy-gets-hit-in-the-head-with-a-scooter-during-a-fight/

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Redshirts are always in danger.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

One Swell Foop posted:

Other way around. The older ones were just borosilicate glass, which has a much lower coefficient of thermal expansion than soda-lime glass, so it's used for lab glass. Pyrex kitchenware used to be the same stuff, but years and years ago Corning sold the name for that line to another manufacturer, so Pyrex kitchenware in the US is just soda-lime glass. But that stuff can't go from hot to cold like borosilicate does, so they temper it, which does what you say: sets up compressive stresses in the outer layers and tension in the inner layers. It's stronger, but when tempered glass *does* crack (like if you take a pan out of the oven and set it down on a counter which, oops, has some water on it you didn't see), it loving explodes.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Again, the US stuff hasn't been borosilicate for a long, long time, now it's just soda-lime glass with regular old soda-lime thermal expansion coefficient, which is why it blows up like that; borosilicate wouldn't.

Neat bit: in my microfab lab a long time ago we had quartz racks that you'd stick the silicon wafers in to put them into the furnace for doping. Those things, you could pretty much take out of the furnace glowing red hot and drop them into a bucket of water and they'd stay in one piece. Not that we ever did that.

It's pretty tough, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rSXU3OOvY

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 18:10 on May 13, 2014

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

:wow:
I only wish this was on TV so I could watch this terrible woman's reaction.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AstroWhale posted:

Anyway, I collected some animal failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I was going to post this but you beat me to it and it makes me miserable. Enjoy your shadenfreude!

• Locked thread