Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The worst part of Ultimatum was seeing the beginning of the Wizard segment where the supporting cast actually did things other than stand around and be annoying/bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Twistys Rapture posted:

The Wizard x Gaim movie was really good for the Wizard part and the Gaim part just kind of flopped around there

I skipped Wizard's part because I haven't seen Wizard yet, Gaim's part was dumb and made no sense and put me to sleep last night. Wizard is boring and has no personality in every movie, is he like that in the show? I'll be glad when he's done being stuffed into everything like Decade. Actually i'll be glad when they stop stuffing every Rider ever into every loving movie then have them do jack poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

Wizard is boring and has no personality in every movie, is he like that in the show?

His personality is 'likes donuts' and... that's his entire personality.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think I'm gonna watch Wizard now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From what I've seen of Wizard in crossovers, his day is not started until he does 50 flips.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That's an oversimplification. His personality is actually "likes one specific type of donut".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

I think I'm gonna watch Wizard now.

He is far less interesting than that implies.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

dordreff posted:

That's an oversimplification. His personality is actually "likes one specific type of donut".

This is still an oversimplification. His personality is, "likes the least interesting type of donut possible, and will not suffer any attempts to offer more interesting ones." It's thematic.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Burkion posted:

He is far less interesting than that implies.

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is still an oversimplification. His personality is, "likes the least interesting type of donut possible, and will not suffer any attempts to offer more interesting ones." It's thematic.

I believe you are trying to mislead me, friend.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Don't watch Wizard.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

If you think that was an attempt to mislead you, Wizard is probably the show for you.

If the least interesting Kamen Rider show imaginable, which defies every attempt to become more interesting is what you want, this is absolutely your show.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AzraelNewtype posted:

Hey now, he has personality in three episodes, which fits well since there are only three episodes of plot relevance in the show. Sadly those aren't the same three episodes.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Say what you want about Wizard, it has my favorite Christmas episode of all time.

It's still not a very good show. I wouldn't recommend skipping over it entirely, though. But don't go in with big expectations. Or expectations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Haruto likes plain sugar donuts-- and was really good at soccer!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Honestly I just want more characters centered around food. While Kabuto became personally unwatchable because of the lack of communication leading to tragedy thing, I'd be lying if I didn't want to start watching it again just to watch Tendou cook.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Honestly I just want more characters centered around food. While Kabuto became personally unwatchable because of the lack of communication leading to tragedy thing, I'd be lying if I didn't want to start watching it again just to watch Tendou cook.

I'm assuming you've watched OOO, which has a character that bakes cakes and gives people cakes and makes his secretary eat his cakes every episode he shows up in?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

I'm assuming you've watched OOO, which has a character that bakes cakes and gives people cakes and makes his secretary eat his cakes every episode he shows up in?

The only Riders I've watched are some of W, Kabuto, and Gaim. I find the Monster of the Week format rather boring after a while, so I'm unable to binge the shows to the degree I'd like. I even had to take a break from Kyoryuger, at one point.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Watch OOO. Cake Boss is a delight. Also the other characters.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The only Riders I've watched are some of W, Kabuto, and Gaim. I find the Monster of the Week format rather boring after a while, so I'm unable to binge the shows to the degree I'd like. I even had to take a break from Kyoryuger, at one point.

A lot of the two part arcs in OOO are much more cohesive than in other Heisei shows that I've seen that use the format (there were only two or so arcs where having two episodes for one monster didn't feel "right" to me), and if you're looking for a food-based character you really can't go wrong with Cakeboss. I'd give it a shot, I thought it was pretty darn good.

In the second half of the show, a lot of the MOTWs take a back seat to the main plot, usually being used as a tool to advance the agenda of the main villains in some way rather than as the main draw of the episode. OOO is really good about using MOTW as something more than just another monster to blow up once it heats up.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Here's the difference between Wizard and Decade. Haruto feels that he is the only one able to save people and the world whereas Tsukasa is just aloof

And Shunpei is literally the exact same character as GokaiSilver

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Or if you'd rather skip the MOTW entirely, there's this little show I like to call Metalder. That, you know, Japan also likes to call Metalder.

It's amazing and wonderful and doesn't have a single MOTW in the traditional sense.

It has characters that fill that role more or less, but they're characters first-and introduced from EPISODE ONE.

No food though.

OR if you want a similar kind of thing but with Sentai-CHECK OUT BIOMAN.

GO TO BIOMAN. It's fantastic and wonderful and will make your dreams come true if you can get past one early two parter with Peebo screaming.

Bioman 'has' MOTW, but they're *ALL* giant robots. The human sized enemies are the same human sized enemies that get introduced from day goddamn one, except for the new villains that show up or get killed off a long the way.

It's an amazing show that has the Pink Ranger wade into battle against a powerful General, his monster sidekick, a giant robot frog, and an army of mooks while playing the THEME SONG on a loving FLUTE that also has the antidote to the plague the frog robot is spreading inside.

Bioman is such a great, awe inspiring TV show that when the Bio team run into an enemy that is immune to their finishers and they break their goddamn sword on him, they take that broken sword and shove it in his face until he dies.

gently caress you deus ex machina, gently caress yeah Bioman.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 13, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twistys Rapture posted:

Here's the difference between Wizard and Decade. Haruto feels that he is the only one able to save people and the world whereas Tsukasa is just aloof

Sweet, now I know that I need to avoid Gokaiger.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Faiz has one of them too

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Amazon improves Wizard 100%

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Wrong thread, I'm a moron.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

GoKaiger owns and Gai/GokaiSilver is amazing is his being a fanboy. :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Amazon improves Wizard 100%

What is this from?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twistys Rapture posted:

GokaiSilver is actually useful though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So ToQGer decided to suddenly get loving amazing.
"You're never going to be able to do it shaking like that."

But there was a QC error where Ticket says "The now forms the head" for the NEW ROBOT transformation.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

What is this from?

The net movies for the Gavan crossover

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Gai's a hyperactive fanboy, but he has his own perspective on Super Sentai that helped the Gokaigers find the Greater Powers and negociate between his team and the Sentai Legends

Shunpei is if you humanized Scrappy Doo but even more shrill and even MORE useless, the Myra Bird arc being the low point of Wizard as a result of him.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
:argh: damnit, twisty.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So ToQGer decided to suddenly get loving amazing.
"You're never going to be able to do it shaking like that."

But there was a QC error where Ticket says "The now forms the head" for the NEW ROBOT transformation.

Grita confirmed for seventh/auxiliary/dark ranger

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Twistys Rapture posted:

Gaim isn't that good. Why do you like it

jonjonaug isn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing Kamen Rider Gaim. He disagreed when I said it was boring, that it was unwatchable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong.

Larryb posted:

Especially since Yusuke seemed to forget he was a Kamen Rider half the time. Didn't he only transform like maybe 4 or 5 times total in the whole series?

I think he only transformed a couple of times and he usually got jobbed whenever he did anyway. He does however stand as the only character in Kamen Rider (not counting Decade's gimmick) to be three Riders from different universes though: Kuuga, Den-O, and G3-X. As far as I can remember only two other characters have been three Riders: Kusaku from Faiz and Shouichi from Agito World, but the ones they became were all from the same universe.

Solaris Knight posted:

Shunpei is if you humanized Scrappy Doo but even more shrill and even MORE useless, the Myra Bird arc being the low point of Wizard as a result of him.

The Myna bird thing was just awful in general though, especially the ending that was apparently just supposed to be a joke.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow. Until now ToQger was a "good, but not amazing" kind of Sentai, but this arc was awesome. I love Zed already, he's become my favourite character from...basically the point he showed his face on-screen. Seems this'll be another Sentai I'm rooting for the villains (Go-Busters, Goseiger...there's probably more where the big bad is so insanely cool you can't help but root for him).

I was grinning so hard with the whole Pass thing. It was cheesy as hell but goddammit it worked really well. The entire fight was really well-done from that point on too, basically I loved everything in this arc.

And then there's Grita deciding to finish Zed off...and Zed's incredible comeback for that. And then the Emperor seeing the light in her eyes...it was all really good!

Chou ToQoh is...stupid, but I kind of like how it came out of Right being weird as usual. Talking about that, going with Super as a translation makes perfect sense but it still saddens me because Chou Chou ToQoh will lose that awesome pun. Still, we keep getting acceptable robot fights so I can't complain too much, I guess.

I hope we get to see more of this level of quality from now on. Again, I found the series pretty acceptable, but it had a bunch of flaws like how boring the villains were, despite their super cool designs. This...definitely fixed that complaint, not only with Zed but Grita grew on me quite a bit now, and Schwarz is showing more and more signs of growing to be a cool villain too.

In other toku news, Makai no Hana keeps being great. That was one depressing episode, but so well done. I like Raiga more and more, and the whole thing with the chime-maker and how Raiga is clearly suffering from what he must do, but he still does it because that's what a Makai Knight does...it's just really good. It's great to see Garo back to shape after the last series.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

jonjonaug isn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing Kamen Rider Gaim. He disagreed when I said it was boring, that it was unwatchable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong.

When was this?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

When was this?

It's a reference to this humiliatingly dumb comic.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I've come to the realization that I miss Akibaranger :smith:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Lessail posted:

I've come to the realization that I miss Akibaranger :smith:

Why aren't you getting drunk with the Treasure Five?
I know it's not the same, but it's just as funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Dr Tran posted:

Why aren't you getting drunk with the Treasure Five?
I know it's not the same, but it's just as funny.

I've got the episodes downloaded but finals have kept me away. I'll get to them soon!

• Locked thread