Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

ToastyPotato posted:

Fox has a strangle hold on that Deadpool as he is tied up with the X-men stuff. The only way it reverts is if Disney has something to offer, like a fuckton of money.

Or, fox's contract runs up. Disney owns Marvel, so they can do as they please once their contractual obligations are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Disney is like a country unto itself, with a seemingly limitless GDP. They should purchase the rights to whatever they can, and then suckerpunch the people they buy them from.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

jhorphear posted:

Or, fox's contract runs up. Disney owns Marvel, so they can do as they please once their contractual obligations are over.

I thought people have gone over this a bunch already. Unless Days of Future Past (or whatever X-Men movie is going to come after that) loses John Carter style money Marvel is never going to see those rights again.

Second sentence of your post doesn't even make sense in the context of the post you were responding to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonz posted:

They should purchase the rights to whatever they can, and then suckerpunch the people they buy them from.

They already do this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bobkatt013 posted:

They already do this.

Yes, but they have yet to do so with regards to certain film rights to use in the Marvel universe. I say go for it. Motherfuckers already bought Star Wars; nothing should stop them in their quest to obtain as many Marvel characters as they can.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

Gonz posted:

Yes, but they have yet to do so with regards to certain film rights to use in the Marvel universe. I say go for it. Motherfuckers already bought Star Wars; nothing should stop them in their quest to obtain as many Marvel characters as they can.

It is really not that easy, as has been stated multiple times not only in this thread but in other places. There are contracts, complicated binding expensive contracts. Disney has no desire to try to buy these out, they're doing just fine with what they have. If the rights revert that is great, but until then it's not worth the money to even consider breaking contracts with the other studios when they are making tons of money with the ones they do have the rights to.

This is the same reason that Gotham is on Fox while Arrow is doing so well on CW and Flash is going to be there this fall. Disney is happy, they're not going to try to break contracts, they don't need to. All of those other studios are helping sell comics, which makes Disney money, and the other studios take all the risks. Disney has done amazing things with the properties they do have access to and are making bucket loads of money. Fox will never give up the X-Men and Sony will never give up Spiderman as long as they are making money. Yes it's weird to have Avengers without Spiderman but the average movie goer doesn't know or care, and that is where the real money in these movies are.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bunnita posted:

Yes it's weird to have Avengers without Spiderman but the average movie goer doesn't know or care, and that is where the real money in these movies are.

It's really not, it'd be weirder if he actually was there as an Avenger. I don't miss the X-Men either; as has been said, X-Men/mutants works really well as a separate universe, too, and that's historically how it has been in the comics, too, until very recently.

The only ones I actually wish were with Marvel with Fantastic Four and Doom and Namor and that whole group. That's some pretty key Marvel stuff, and at this point I have no faith in anyone but Marvel to pull off that movie.

But even then I can get over it, because Spider-man and F4 are woven together pretty tight and at least we get to see those guys sharing a world. There's enough dozens of other Marvel properties that I'll survive even if the MCU is missing Reed vs Doom, Green Goblin or Gwen Stacy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

XboxPants posted:

It's really not, it'd be weirder if he actually was there as an Avenger. I don't miss the X-Men either; as has been said, X-Men/mutants works really well as a separate universe, too, and that's historically how it has been in the comics, too, until very recently.

The only ones I actually wish were with Marvel with Fantastic Four and Doom and Namor and that whole group. That's some pretty key Marvel stuff, and at this point I have no faith in anyone but Marvel to pull off that movie.

But even then I can get over it, because Spider-man and F4 are woven together pretty tight and at least we get to see those guys sharing a world. There's enough dozens of other Marvel properties that I'll survive even if the MCU is missing Reed vs Doom, Green Goblin or Gwen Stacy.

FF is Fox, not Sony, so we won't be seing them sharing anything, unfortunately. Sony has nothing but Spider-Man which is why they've gone insane and have announced like 4 different SM based movies (Sinister Six, ASM 3 & 4, and Venom.) If Days of Future Past is a big hit, you can bet your rear end Fantastic Four will be bridged into the X-Men universe, especially given that Franklin Richards is a mutant himself.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think that it probably forces them to write better stories with what they have. As amazing as Justice League Unlimited was, there's the constant "reason of the week that Superman can't just set this straight."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sorry, we don't need two stretchy guys.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
As one of the bigger advocates of the "Skye is an Inhuman" theory, I will readily admit that it's total speculation that just happens to fit our limited information pretty well. Of course, she doesn't have to come from Attilan; maybe Skye came from K'un Lun (hey, there's gonna be an Iron Fist show, why not) or the monastery of the Ancient One (Skye = Clea??? [!!]). Lotta mysterious hidden cities in Marvel Asia.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

GigaPeon posted:

Since they're not changing the name of the show, I'd expect SHIELD to be back by the time the next Earth-based MCU movie comes out. They'll probably say something like 'Public opinion of SHIELD has dropped since the HYDRA incident, but we have a job to do!'

World goes to poo poo, Ultron takes over a large part of NYC.

WE NEED SHIELD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Spoiler: Everyone on the team, not just Skye, gets powers in a ham-fisted, passive-aggressive attempt to respond to criticism of S1.

The tagline for S2: "Okay, gently caress It, Apparently All Heroes Are Super After All."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Actually it's going to turn out that Skye's a perfectly normal person. Coulson however winds up getting superpowers. He also reveals that he has a suit ready just in case this sort of thing happen. He also admits that he sometimes wears this under his clothes because he's just that much of a nerd.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Coulson is Blackbolt.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Ward is Sentry. His redemption is that The Void is in control at the moment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skye is Squirrel Girl.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Masonity posted:

Ward is Sentry. His redemption is that The Void is in control at the moment.

It honestly surprises me they haven't touched on the Sentry yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Skye is Squirrel Girl.

She's not cool enough to be Squirrel Girl.

(Besides Doreen is a mutant)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would like to see Simmons as Squirrel Girl. Or rather, I just want to see Simmons clowning on major Marvel villains.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Colson is secretly captain marvel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

jhorphear posted:

Colson is secretly captain marvel.

The marvel is his penis.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

They are probably still trying to work out a way to stop him as the end of Siege made no sense at all. Once the infinity gauntlet is introduced he might have a place.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

The_Doctor posted:

Thor already covers the quasi-Superman analog pretty well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Agents of SHIELD will move an hour later next season, to 9PM Tuesdays. Agent Carter officially confirmed as a midseason show in the same time slot, filling an extended SHIELD hiatus.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The_Doctor posted:

I don't see why. The Sentry only works (to the degree he does at all) as the "forgotten hero" who was critical in the early days then sacrificed himself so hard that all memory of him was erased.

Except that for the MCU, these are the early days. You need to get much farther into the timeline, then do a flashback to The Avengers and show him fighting the Chitauri and giving Loki a noogie. Having him actually appear (or even get mentioned) early quashes the sense of wrongness about him when he re-appears out of exile.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oooh, does this mean AoS might have some more freedom with what it's allowed to show?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BreakAtmo posted:

Oooh, does this mean AoS might have some more freedom with what it's allowed to show?

I dunno, it's not like they were particularly restrained for a seven o'clock show. Remember the evil redheaded doctor burning to death? Or Ward's bullet-to-the-brain murder sprees of late? They're already surprisingly gruesome for a nominally kid-friendly superhero-adjunct show. And no timeslot change is going to get you more in the way of sex and nudity.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There is no discernible difference between the 8pm and 9pm time slots as far as network TV goes. At best, sometimes, rarely, they would push boundaries within the 10pm time slot, in the form of showing a butt crack, or something like that. Or maybe they have someone say a very mild swear word once.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

There is no discernible difference between the 8pm and 9pm time slots as far as network TV goes. At best, sometimes, rarely, they would push boundaries within the 10pm time slot, in the form of showing a butt crack, or something like that. Or maybe they have someone say a very mild swear word once.

Or in the case of NBC the entirety of Hannibal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well drat I guess those spoilers I read about Coulson becoming full blue CGI dong Marvel-verse Dr. Manhattan were false.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bunnita posted:

It is really not that easy, as has been stated multiple times not only in this thread but in other places. There are contracts, complicated binding expensive contracts. Disney has no desire to try to buy these out, they're doing just fine with what they have.
Everything else you said was accurate, but not that. Disney has tons of desire to buy the contracts out and get their rights back, because they are not morons -- they're well aware that no matter what it would cost them, they'd make infinitely more back eventually by being able to put Spider-Man in the Avengers and putting out Avengers 4: Avengers vs. X-Men and so on and so forth.

The problem is that Fox and Sony and Universal are just as aware of it, and are in no mood to hand a couple billion dollars to Disney out of the goodness of their hearts, so they're not going to sell the rights back or let them lapse until and unless they become unprofitable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yep. Which also clarifies my "fuckton of money" statement. We are talking billions. Billions and billions of dollars. Disney spent 4 billion buying Star Wars off of ONE MAN, what do you think it will cost them to buy Spider-Man from a gigantic corporation like Sony? It's even worse with Fox because they have so many damned characters that they could easily build their own shared universe if they were halfway competent. These companies would set the price too high for Disney to be able to pay.

In all honesty, Sony is the most realistic chance Disney has at getting one of their franchises back. If these Spider-Man sequels and spin offs fail, and there is a massive chance that they will given the quality of the last 2 ASM movies, Sony might just be forced to tap out and cash in their chips with Disney.

The current X-Men films seem more like a soft rebooting and relaunching of the franchise than anything else. If they failed miserably, and Fantastic Four with it, I could see Fox sitting on the rights for several years before trying one more reboot. By that point, I imagine that the MCU would probably have fizzled out anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Esroc posted:

Thor already covers the quasi-Superman analog pretty well.

When I went to see Thor: The Dark World with my dad, he came out saying it was the best Superman film since Superman II. :D

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Is there anything hidden we should take away from the time slot changing? Is that a good or a bad thing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jng2058 posted:

And no timeslot change is going to get you more in the way of sex and nudity.

They already had Skye running around in her undies or wet in a few episodes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hand of the King posted:

Is there anything hidden we should take away from the time slot changing? Is that a good or a bad thing?

The recent week where they moved it to 9pm (with the rerun of the post Captain America ep before it) it had a bump in the ratings. They might feel that the 8pm slot is too contested, or will be.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Disney has tons of desire to buy the contracts out and get their rights back, because they are not morons -- they're well aware that no matter what it would cost them, they'd make infinitely more back eventually by being able to put Spider-Man in the Avengers and putting out Avengers 4: Avengers vs. X-Men and so on and so forth.

This really isn't a foregone conclusion, though. Marvel Studios can only make so many movies per year, and it's kinda hard to get that much bigger than a movie that made $1.5 billion worldwide.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly, there's no way Marvel/Disney will ever get the movie rights to their characters back unless the contracts actually run out at some point in the future (I'm not sure if this is the case, never seen them). The mere fact that the Marvel studios stuff has raked in money hand over fist means that Fox and Sony will hold onto their licenses solely to spite Disney and keep them from making even more, let alone the vague potential chance that they could capture some of that success themselves. Hollywood rights politics are petty and childish, and barring some weird backroom deal there's no chance Marvel will ever get the rights again. There's a reason they've been working very hard to build up their other properties instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Barry Convex posted:

This really isn't a foregone conclusion, though. Marvel Studios can only make so many movies per year, and it's kinda hard to get that much bigger than a movie that made $1.5 billion worldwide.
Yeah, but Marvel Studios thinks long-term. However many movies with the new character, who will probably get a box office boost by having Thor or Groot or Dr. Strange have a cameo or whatever, over the next ten years... they'd make it back.

Asimo posted:

Honestly, there's no way Marvel/Disney will ever get the movie rights to their characters back unless the contracts actually run out at some point in the future (I'm not sure if this is the case, never seen them).
The rights revert if they don't get used for a set amount of time, that's why Daredevil is back at Disney but Fox is forcing a Fantastic Four reboot.

• Locked thread