Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me laugh that people expected the Modern event deck to have cards that are worth more money than it cost to buy the deck.

Hi, I'm the thragtusk event deck. It makes me laugh that you're not aware of precedence.

Stinky Pit posted:

That's par for the course I think. As long as I can remember there have been undervalued and overvalued cards that in retrospect look ridiculous. People scoffed at Dark Confidant when it was first revealed. I guess for me its a lot less amusing since its just kind of expected.

CONTEXT

Dark Confidant was printed in a format where the previous decks were all playing high mana cards and relied on cards like Gifts, Kodama's Reach, etc to gain advantage or were just casting weird harvests to go off quickly. Hand in Hand was a deck that could reasonably play it but Zoo wasn't touching it. Cards like Lightning Bolt (I'm aware Bolt is old as gently caress but it didn't see reprint into the game until M10) and Thoughtseize and Tarmogoyf didn't exist yet (in standard/extended) and extended was still dominated by Psychatog and Mind's Desire Combo and Dredgeatog (i.e. lists that mostly dont give a poo poo about dark confidant) and Legacy was a format that was more about combos and less about mashing good stuff. Once again, no Goyf.

It's very much a beneficiary of the power creep of the game since its printing.

Not to mention it was in the same block as Electrolyze and Izzet Signet and in the same standard format as the Urza Lands, y'know, as a 1 toughness 2-drop (i.e. Electrolyze bait).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kingcobweb posted:

What? Who thought this? They are/were dumb.

edit: LSV when Theros came out:

PV actually really did not like the Scry Lands, as far as actual pros go.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Zoness posted:

Hi, I'm the thragtusk event deck. It makes me laugh that you're not aware of precedence.

CONTEXT

Dark Confidant was printed in a format where the previous decks were all playing high mana cards and relied on cards like Gifts, Kodama's Reach, etc to gain advantage or were just casting weird harvests to go off quickly. Hand in Hand was a deck that could reasonably play it but Zoo wasn't touching it. Cards like Lightning Bolt and Thoughtseize and Tarmogoyf didn't exist yet (in standard/extended) and extended was still dominated by Psychatog and Legacy was a format that was more about combos and less about mashing good stuff. Once again, no Goyf.

Not to mention it was in the same block as Electrolyze and Izzet Signet and in the same standard format as the Urza Lands, y'know, as a 1 toughness 2-drop (i.e. Electrolyze bait).

I still have 2 of the Thragtusk event deck. How the mighty have fallen... :negative:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The individual cards cost way more than it costs to buy the deck, though, so

I think what people are frustrated about is that everyone knew whatever deck it was would be a dogshit pile. Nobody expected it to be a tuned Jund list. What people *were* hoping for is that Gavin Vehrey or whoever would acknowledge that, and just cram it full of cards that could be parted out and used in other decks/archetypes. Like Bitterblossom - a card that can be used in Fairies, but also theoretically goes in a B/W tokens deck. Or Marsh Flats/Fetid Heath, which slot nicely into Pod or Junk decks. Nobody wanted it crammed with value, they wanted it crammed with utility.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

On the whole they generally aren't, though. Its not a good gamble when most of them aren't.

rabidsquid posted:

PV actually really did not like the Scry Lands, as far as actual pros go.

I don't like Scrylands for being almost a parody of dual lands, but they're certainly playable, and often quite useful in the context of Standard.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 13, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I still have 2 of the Thragtusk event deck. How the mighty have fallen... :negative:

I did too.

My LCS gave me half the MRSP for them. Which I was completely okay with since I got back 25 bucks.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You say that like Thragtusk wasn't in three event decks (in the sideboard for some reason). They really wanted this thing to get around.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
If Mirri the Cursed (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=122406) is blocked by two creature without first strike or double strike and she assigns combat damage to both will she get 2 +1/+1s or just one?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Oraculum Animi posted:

If Mirri the Cursed (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=122406) is blocked by two creature without first strike or double strike and she assigns combat damage to both will she get 2 +1/+1s or just one?

Mirri will receive two counters after first strike damage is assigned but before the blocking creatures deal damage.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Oraculum Animi posted:

It would depend on the toughness of the blockers. You can't assign combat damage to a second blocker until lethal damage is assigned to the first, so if her two blockers both have 3 toughness, she'll only get 1 counter. This trigger will resolve during the first strike damage step and before the normal combat damage step.

e: Oh, you're stating that she assigns damage to both. Then she'd get two counters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tharizdun posted:

I think what people are frustrated about is that everyone knew whatever deck it was would be a dogshit pile. Nobody expected it to be a tuned Jund list. What people *were* hoping for is that Gavin Vehrey or whoever would acknowledge that, and just cram it full of cards that could be parted out and used in other decks/archetypes. Like Bitterblossom - a card that can be used in Fairies, but also theoretically goes in a B/W tokens deck. Or Marsh Flats/Fetid Heath, which slot nicely into Pod or Junk decks. Nobody wanted it crammed with value, they wanted it crammed with utility.
Uh, I unironically posted that I wanted it to be a Jund pile. That way I could've placed it next to my other two Jund decks just for shits and giggles and have enough extra dark confidants to glue to the front of my binder.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

CONTEXT

Dark Confidant was printed in a format where the previous decks were all playing high mana cards and relied on cards like Gifts, Kodama's Reach, etc to gain advantage or were just casting weird harvests to go off quickly. Hand in Hand was a deck that could reasonably play it but Zoo wasn't touching it. Cards like Lightning Bolt (I'm aware Bolt is old as gently caress but it didn't see reprint into the game until M10) and Thoughtseize and Tarmogoyf didn't exist yet (in standard/extended) and extended was still dominated by Psychatog and Mind's Desire Combo and Dredgeatog (i.e. lists that mostly dont give a poo poo about dark confidant) and Legacy was a format that was more about combos and less about mashing good stuff. Once again, no Goyf.

Wasn't this the same Standard where you could be a viable Tier 2 deck with 4x Boomerang and 4x Eye of Nowhere because nobody played 1-drops?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mortimer posted:

What's the best dual deck for teaching someone magic?
I think intro decks are better for this, especially core set intro decks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think that when we very first saw the scry lands there was much less of a sense of a baseline for what a free Scry 1 was worth. Scry was either not constructed playable, or busted because it was on a one-mana blue cantrip, and there wasn't much middle ground. I guess Magma Jet was in there too. Viscera Seer doesn't really count since you're rarely super excited about the scry per se there, either. I can't think of much else that was highly playable before Theros block.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Wasn't this the same Standard where you could be a viable Tier 2 deck with 4x Boomerang and 4x Eye of Nowhere because nobody played 1-drops?

That and Land Destruction was great and bouncing a Karoo was like, almost two time walks.

Well, and Magnivore was in the format as a finisher for U/R Vore.

Something like this

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I think most people's misevaluation of the scrylands comes from what they were most easily compared to. The fact that they are a rare dual land that comes into play tapped 100% of the time naturally leads people to look at the last time we had rare duals with the same universal drawback, aka manlands. In the case of manlands, it's much, much easier to assign value to whatever creature they can become and evaluate the lands accordingly, whereas scrying on a land obviously has much more nebulous value (which as we know now, is quite good).

That coupled with the fact that they came on the heels of guildgates and so were naturally compared directly to those, too, as "nothing more than guildgates with an ability I can't easily value" and I think that explains most of why people who missed the mark on them did.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 13, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

That and Land Destruction was great and bouncing a Karoo was like, almost two time walks.

Well, and Magnivore was in the format as a finisher for U/R Vore.

Something like this

I wasn't playing standard at the time, but UR Vore always looked like one of the most obnoxious decks ever to exist in Standard. It took forever to kill you and its goal was to stop you from actually playing Magic; not the most fun combination of things to play against.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Zoness posted:

CONTEXT

This is BS. Anyone who actually knew how this game worked knew Dark Confidant was an amazing card. I started playing in Champions and still had a snake deck come Ravnica, but I absolutely knew how great it was.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MiddleEastBeast posted:

That coupled with the fact that they came on the heels of guildgates and so were naturally compared directly to those too as "nothing more than guildgates with an ability I can't easily value" and I think that explains most of why people who missed the mark on them did.
Also lots of people who said they sucked were reacting to being upset they tacked on scry 1 and made them rares. Never underestimate emotional reactions screwing with people's evaluations, after all.

I will be interested to see how they pan out in the next format, assuming huey feels different enough from RTR block, which hopefully it should.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

This is BS. Anyone who actually knew how this game worked knew Dark Confidant was an amazing card. I started playing in Champions and still had a snake deck come Ravnica, but I absolutely knew how great it was.

Yeah you should point out the great variety of decklists that featured it.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Events.aspx?x=mtgevent/pthon06/t8decks

Oh right, pretty much limited to W/B Aggro.

I'm not saying it was a -bad- card, it still wasn't anywhere near as good as it is now because of power creep.

A lot of people tried jamming it into their B/x decks at that pro tour but it really only performed in the W/B Aggro list for a reason.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

Also lots of people who said they sucked were reacting to being upset they tacked on scry 1 and made them rares. Never underestimate emotional reactions screwing with people's evaluations, after all.

I will be interested to see how they pan out in the next format, assuming huey feels different enough from RTR block, which hopefully it should.

There are only so many clever dual land variations you can do. It starts to become a parody of itself when you tack on mechanics to lands that 90% of the time do the same thing as every other dual land.

I think a lot of people get tired of WOTC trying to get cute with making you buy what amounts to the same card over and over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mortimer posted:

I missed this but I taught several friends magic with my legacy decks over the past year or two. Serious post. I think Death and Taxes v. Miracles is a good teaching tool and so is shardless/BUG v. ANT and other permutations. I urge my other friends to proxy up legacy decks and do the same. It teaches good fundamentals of the game like good thoughtseize plans, good sequencing especially with the lands, not overextending with D&T, utility tricks, and how a combo deck functions even against heavy disruption. It covers all the main metagame clock decks - grindy value midrange, aggro/control depending on D&T build, control, and good old combo. I sometimes include burn to humor my friends who really like the idea of legacy burn. The only difference between them and modern or standard are critical turns and the lack of brainstorm to tuck important cards from thoughtseize :mad:

I'll have them around if you ever want to give it a try when I get back. I forgot if you only do modern or also do legacy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I tried to teach my wife to play via Event Decks and I think it was a little confusing when I had to explain each and every mechanic. I wanted her to have a chance to try using nicer cards, but the variety of mechanics in regular Standard is kind of much. I think the regular starter packs are probably better.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That's pretty interesting, although from my experience, people who haven't played magic at all have a tough time even with stuff like basic combat (when it's good to attack, when to offer trades, who's the beatdown). I can't imagine giving a new player, say, a miracles deck and then having them do brainstorms, spinning sensei's divining top, casting clique at appropriate times and knowing what to take, etc. But I guess if they constantly play the same matchup they pick up on these nuances.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Yeah guys I don't know who you are teaching magic to but Phyrexia v Coalition or straight up legacy decks are probably the absolute worst place to start in all of Magic. I've taught 3-4 people and I can't imagine how quickly someone would leave if I asked them to learn the game with ANT.

Buy four intro packs and make two decks out of them.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 13, 2014

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Haha, seriously? ANT is as far as from a "learn to play" Deck as I can think of. What's the deck you move up to? Doomsday?

Zoo and maybe D&T or Maverick.are the only t1 legacy deck that I would consider teaching with.

My teaching decks are simple draft leftovers with only core-set mechanics. Only 1-2 rares per deck, few instants.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

In reality, the best starter deck is something you build yourself that is full of Llanowar Elves, Grizzly Bears and Doom Blades. Stuff that's not hard to understand.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kasonic posted:

Yeah guys I don't know who you are teaching magic to but Phyrexia v Coalition or straight up legacy decks are probably the absolute worst place to start in all of Magic. I've taught 3-4 people and I can't imagine how quickly someone would leave if I asked them to learn the game with ANT.

Buy four intro packs and make two decks out of them.

I dunno, I assume most people I'm teaching magic to are capable of reading. It's not like any of the cards in PvC are particularly complex on rules interactions and they all do enough different things to not be boring. The main concern is they use a lot of old designs that don't carry over well, but I dunno, mono colored vs domain is cool and it's not a thing that comes up diving directly into tournament play but it's kind of a thing players go through when building their own decks and I think it's the best duel deck for looking at that part of the game at least. Like, playing both ends is sort of an exploration of why one color might not do everything you'd want but why running every color can be a problem too. Domain isn't a complex mechanic and Phyrexian Negator is a cool card that like, explores the cost-benefit of an undercosted creature with a severe drawback (even if Negator is like, behind the curve for current magic thanks to power creep it sits at a good place in the context of the duel deck).

But yeah I guess if you're teaching magic to someone with severe ADHD then yeah the presence of rules text on cards could be a problem.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 13, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Relating to that discussion I really wish they'd pushed clash packs out immediately because that is such a great idea.

Unless I'm misremembering, but two 60 card decks that you can teach with but also turns into an event deck afterward? That is a great way to sell the product and teach the product without divorcing the two.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fox of Stone posted:

I missed this but I taught several friends magic with my legacy decks over the past year or two. Serious post. I think Death and Taxes v. Miracles is a good teaching tool and so is shardless/BUG v. ANT and other permutations. I urge my other friends to proxy up legacy decks and do the same. It teaches good fundamentals of the game like good thoughtseize plans, good sequencing especially with the lands, not overextending with D&T, utility tricks, and how a combo deck functions even against heavy disruption. It covers all the main metagame clock decks - grindy value midrange, aggro/control depending on D&T build, control, and good old combo. I sometimes include burn to humor my friends who really like the idea of legacy burn. The only difference between them and modern or standard are critical turns and the lack of brainstorm to tuck important cards from thoughtseize :mad:

I'll have them around if you ever want to give it a try when I get back. I forgot if you only do modern or also do legacy.

You're insane, none of that stuff is anything a new player should be worrying about, they need to know how basic things like combat and the stack work before even thinking about strategy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've taught friends who played other card games so maybe that's why it wasn't as intimidating to them. My brother plays poker and he loves ANT. Looking back at it, the people who seemed to enjoy ANT were my maths-inclined friends so maybe that might explain it? They seemed to enjoy the spell-based interaction that didn't involve any creatures so it's not like it's any harder than explaining all the things creatures do. They actually find it hilarious that people even win with creatures when they see how fast ANT works and find the jace milling ultimate to be really cool.

E: to be fair I probably gave them a warped view of magic and that combos are heavily frowned upon. That is my fault. Hopefully they'll enjoy the combo decks tentatively present in modern.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 13, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

You're insane, none of that stuff is anything a new player should be worrying about, they need to know how basic things like combat and the stack work before even thinking about strategy.

I actually have a hard time understanding why the stack is a difficult concept and I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not one has a background in programming. Mostly I think it's because players used to say "in response" as a buzzword which didn't clarify things properly. Combat was mostly learning what I could or could not do over several iterations of the combat rules but it's intuitive enough in the current iteration.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

I dunno, I assume most people I'm teaching magic to are capable of reading. It's not like any of the cards in PvC are particularly complex on rules interactions and they all do enough different things to not be boring. The main concern is they use a lot of old designs that don't carry over well, but I dunno, mono colored vs domain is cool and it's not a thing that comes up diving directly into tournament play but it's kind of a thing players go through when building their own decks and I think it's the best duel deck for looking at that part of the game at least. Like, playing both ends is sort of an exploration of why one color might not do everything you'd want but why running every color can be a problem too. Domain isn't a complex mechanic and Phyrexian Negator is a cool card that like, explores the cost-benefit of an undercosted creature with a severe drawback (even if Negator is like, behind the curve for current magic thanks to power creep it sits at a good place in the context of the duel deck).

But yeah I guess if you're teaching magic to someone with severe ADHD then yeah the presence of rules text on cards could be a problem.

The problem isn't people understanding the cards, its that people don't have fun when they don't understand what the cards do without having to stop and read every card. The goal isn't to get them to understand the mechanics in a vacuum, its for them to have fun.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem isn't people understanding the cards, its that people don't have fun when they don't understand what the cards do without having to stop and read every card. The goal isn't to get them to understand the mechanics in a vacuum, its for them to have fun.

I literally don't see any duel deck as having cards that are hard enough to grasp that you'd be having this problem every time you go and play a card, but I also find reading what new cards do to be fun because playing with the same cards over and over again is boring.

Incidentally that's why I hated standard about a month ago because where was the innovation.

Honestly if my friends had introduced me to magic as bashing grizzly bears into each other instead of like, one of them having a burn deck, one of them having a Zirilan-themed dragon deck, and one of them having a casual ONS block elf deck (w/ all the tribal synergies), I probably would have never touched the game so I guess different strokes.

And back then one of them gave me a pile of clerics that I tuned into using the daru spiritualist - starlit sanctum life combo so I thought that stuff was cool as hell. And yeah, this was when I was starting to play back in ONS block.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

The goal isn't to get them to understand the mechanics in a vacuum, its for them to have fun.
That's probably why we differ in our teaching philosophies then. I describe magic as a min-maxing strategy game with luck/stats and neat tricks so getting people caught up to that is what I aim for. This probably makes me a huge grognard if I give them the card equivalent of the "campaign for North Africa" board game and clashes with my chillax attitude of the game in general. I just realized and admit that I have probably been doing it this way since I already have the decks ready to go so I'm too lazy to teach any other way.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Angry Grimace posted:

In reality, the best starter deck is something you build yourself that is full of Llanowar Elves, Grizzly Bears and Doom Blades. Stuff that's not hard to understand.

Qfft

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mortimer posted:

I'll ignore the "dual deck" part and say if you're actually starting from zero, go to your LGS and pick up a few of the free starter decks that Wizards provides for exactly this purpose. Or give them a tablet with duels loaded on it. :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

Are you sure that learning when to play Yawgmoth's Bargain into counters and when you can cast Tendrils to keep drawing isn't a basic building block skill to a brand new player of Magic: The Gathering?

edit: Good luck winning an FNM draft if you don't even know how to hold priority with LED when you cast your Infernal Tutor!!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I tend to find giving the person I'm teaching the right "cool" deck to start with tends to be more important than how complex a deck is, though you don't want too complex.

For example, I had one friend who kept looking at Magic and going "Ehhhh, it's alright." Then I showed him artifacts and robots and he was all over that stuff. Similarly, the little intro decks didn't do me anything at all, but Innistrad with lots of humans working together aggressive did click for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I got pretty good mileage out of Koth vs. Venser for this purpose, but Duels is a really good starting point.

• Locked thread