Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Stalins Moustache posted:

"An old man gets naked and kisses a model-doll in his attic
It's half-light and he's in tears.
When he finally comes his eyes are cascading."

Wasn't there a GBS thread about this guy once? :v:

When I was in grade 2/3, these were the poo poo:

Over a hundred books in a series featuring seven of the most one-dimensional characters you will ever meet, including Sporty, Shy, Horses, and Black (But That Doesn't Matter, Really). (Ok, technically her Thing was ballet, but really it was that she was black.)

On a completely different note I also really liked the CAD mock threads when they were around. I genuinely miss them sometimes. Every now and again a Loss edit will pop up somewhere around here and it makes me smile every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RainbowCake posted:

On a completely different note I also really liked the CAD mock threads when they were around. I genuinely miss them sometimes. Every now and again a Loss edit will pop up somewhere around here and it makes me smile every time.

Good news:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580504

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Oh boy! :neckbeard: It is a good day for terrible things and you are a good terrible person.

I really, really shouldn't be happy about this.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

NESguerilla posted:

I used to know a guy that would always aggressively try to get me into Nightwish back in the day. Seriously they might be the worst band I've ever heard in my life,

I was also into Nightwish and the "goth/opera metal" genre for a (thankfully short) period of time. The only band from the genre that I still listen to is The Gathering, because they went on to leave the genre behind and make some really good trip-hoppy progrock. It's interesting to revisit a band like Nightwish almost a decade after I last heard them, though, only to find that they still sound exactly the same.

Seriously, they must be in their 40s by now and still dressing and acting like teenage emo kids.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Haha Nightwish. I still enjoy a lot of their music, not the newest stuff because it's just awful but yeah. The male singers obsession with talking about a dead kid is tiring. Annette Olson was good for them so it's a pity she didn't last long. Musically for me, System of a Down and Godsmack.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is it wrong that I actually still like System of a Down? That and a lot of 90's nu metal. Some of it was garbage sure but it wasn't all bad. Granted these days I mostly listen to industrial and synthpop but still...I don't look at my old metal CDs and think "wow, these all suck."

The taste I had for bad J-Pop, however, was absolutely unforgivable. I have no idea why but for a while I started listening to, and enjoying, the absolute worst J-Pop I could find.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

DicktheCat posted:

You mother fucker. I think they were around earlier than '07, 'cause I remember them, and I kind of fell off around late '06 before I graduated. Yeah, I 'played' it as a teen, sue me.

There was also a thing where people called themselves "Prommies" in General Discussion because they were "prominent posters" or some poo poo. I dunno, it was some stupid rear end poo poo. And then there was a whole "Montague" and "Capulet" thing where people would put one or the other in their sig and derail every other loving thread with it.

Oh god, I was one of the original Prommies. I got tired of it in '05 or '06 though so I don't remember that Montague/Capulet stuff.

For content- I LOVED Coal Chamber in high school. I can't get through the first song on Chamber Music without cracking up anymore

CYNICS AND CHRIST-LIKE HYPOCRITES HOW THEY STICK TO YOU LIKE GLUE

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is it wrong that I actually still like System of a Down? That and a lot of 90's nu metal. Some of it was garbage sure but it wasn't all bad. Granted these days I mostly listen to industrial and synthpop but still...I don't look at my old metal CDs and think "wow, these all suck."

The taste I had for bad J-Pop, however, was absolutely unforgivable. I have no idea why but for a while I started listening to, and enjoying, the absolute worst J-Pop I could find.

Sometimes it's ok to like terrible things, as long as you're willing to acknowledge that they're terrible. I love '90s pop and will make no apologies. :c00lbert:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Intoluene posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet but System of a Down. Good god, I could slap 14 year old me for listening that poo poo.

I still think their first album is fantastic but everything after it I can't deal with.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLO66xoutg

Linked: the song "Au Revoir", by Japanese goth band Malice Mizer

This poo poo. This was my jam of '97-'98 right here. The lead singer used to perform under the conceit that he was an immortal vampire rocker (like Lestat from the Anne Rice books and....oh god, I just remember I liked Anne Rice books too). I was internetting early (proto-goon) and downloading audio clips from geocities fan websites, listening via my realmeadia player and winamp (remember winamp skins?). I seriously thought I was so much cooler than my peers who liked their lovely Spice Girls and Hansen. UGH they just don't get REAL ART.

I had never seen the accompanying music video until just now, kinda sad I didn't know this existed because it's so awful it almost comes off as satire. It's from Japan in the 90s, which means it feels like it's from America in the 80s. Serious goth faces looking to camera while lurching around an empty room. Flowers wilting. Mournfully peering out windows. Crappy handicam footage of a walk in the park during fall.

I once imported a Malice Mizer CD for like forty bucks when I was in middle school. That was hard, since I had very, very little money growing up. Forty loving dollars.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I too listened to Malice Mizer in my early years of university, because my weeaboo crush liked them.

I graduated to the much cooler SIGH, and then Boris :black101:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

gently caress you for reminding me of Nightwish. I used to think "Dead Boy's Poem" was so loving deep and sad.

I wish somebody had grabbed me at 13 and made me listen to None So Vile. If I could go back in time that's what I'd do. Set young me straight on metal.

My brother and I liked Nightwish, but we didn't know any lyrics. Is that better or worse? :v:

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Then again, John said a lot of stupid poo poo before he grew up and started to believe in something other than greed and beating his wife.

And on the subject of this thread: Caring whether or not a band or artist "sold out" at any point in time.

Selling out in the sense of jamming out listenable but safe songs is pretty terrible.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 06:06 on May 12, 2014

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I loved The Phantom Menace when it came out in theatres. Granted, I was 9, so I was probably right in the proper age demographic they were gunning for. Liking the next two movies when they first came out gives me a little bit more shame. Pretty much the only thing I still consistently like about the movies now is Ian McDiarmid. Yes, even in RotS.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

JoltSpree posted:

I loved The Phantom Menace when it came out in theatres. Granted, I was 9, so I was probably right in the proper age demographic they were gunning for. Liking the next two movies when they first came out gives me a little bit more shame. Pretty much the only thing I still consistently like about the movies now is Ian McDiarmid. Yes, even in RotS.
The best thing about the phantom menace was, Star Wars Episode I Racer it was my favorite game on the N64 and one of my all time favorite racing games.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Radio morning shows. When I was in the 6th grade I woke up to the MJ Morning Show every day. :negative:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

JoltSpree posted:

Pretty much the only thing I still consistently like about the movies now is Ian McDiarmid. Yes, even in RotS.

Nothing to be ashamed of there, he seems to be the only person in those movies who's enjoying themselves.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Selling out in the sense of jamming out listenable but safe songs is pretty terrible.

What's so wrong with listenable-but-safe music? Not everything has to be a challenging experience.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Dragonforce. It's loving neckbeard WoW music.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

RadioactiveKid posted:

The best thing about the phantom menace was, Star Wars Episode I Racer it was my favorite game on the N64 and one of my all time favorite racing games.

Oo, I never played that, but I did play The Gungan Frontier and Droidworks when I was a kid and loved them. They're probably in my mam's attic now. I'll have to get them out again next time I visit, this thread is making me wonder if they'll actually be as much fun as I remember. LucasArts's merchandise was always way more fun than the actual films.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

What's so wrong with listenable-but-safe music? Not everything has to be a challenging experience.

Yeah, "being one of those assholes who describes music as 'safe' or 'accessible' as an insult" is one of those terrible things I used to love myself

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

RadioactiveKid posted:

That was a fun game, though I could never figure out why Sebulba could only jet flames from one side of his pod.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RadioactiveKid posted:

I was completely awful at this game but loved it all the same.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The best part is that you can control the N64 version with two controllers per podracer, using the triggers on each controller to control the individual engines.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RadioactiveKid posted:

I actually played the arcade cabinet of this a couple weeks ago, it's still awesome and still really tough to control well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, Pod Racer was a legit good game. Very "F-Zero"-esque (I know there was an F-Zero game for N64, but this was like having two of them.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

When it's all a band does anymore? Plenty.

That's what selling out always meant to me. Ceasing creativity for guaranteed sales. :shrug:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Creed, Korn, and Linkin Park get a pass since I was like 13-15 when I liked them. I then discovered stuff like Dream Theater - which is just as bad in its own way. The music was dorky, but the worst thing about it was my pride in being ~awake~ to prog rock/metal. I'd like to think they were a necessary evil though, as without em' I wouldn't have branched out into all the genres I enjoy now.

Also, Something Awful. It was a terrible source of pride like ten years ago when I first signed up. All of the goth-shaming fostered a healthy dislike for teen subcultures, which I carried along in 11th and 12th grade. I'm pretty sure I considered myself the most culturally aware person at my school. I had a Gooncon 2k4 DVD and tshirt. That may have been more me wanting to fit in somewhere than SA itself, but it was definitely terrible.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Anatharon posted:

That's what selling out always meant to me. Ceasing creativity for guaranteed sales. :shrug:

It's still a dumb thing to care about, plus it's basically saying "I know this band's thought processes and motivations better than they do themselves, and am a better judge of what they OUGHT to be creating than them too." Especially since a lot of people turn their critical engagement skills off entirely and simply conflate "is on the radio" with "has no creativity" (even bubblegum pop can be musically interesting and engaging in its own right - "Call Me Maybe" is, musically speaking, wicked interesting and does some non-standard things, but a lot of listeners still considered it "not art" just because it's on pop radio.)

I just found a Happycat tshirt in my laundry pile. Wow. I'd forgotten all about that stuff.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Gaspy Conana posted:

All of the goth-shaming fostered a healthy dislike for teen subcultures, which I carried along in 11th and 12th grade. I'm pretty sure I considered myself the most culturally aware person at my school. I had a Gooncon 2k4 DVD and tshirt.

Hahahahahaha cool. I want to see a phlegmatic teen dork in a gooncon shirt rolling his eyes at some mall goths and acting soooo over it

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Anatharon posted:

So, "safe" music is automatically bad because... the band/artist is making a living off of it? Even putting aside how that perception is based upon a ridiculous assumption that musicians should be starving-artist types, that's a value judgment that has nothing to do with the music itself.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Stottie Kyek posted:

Oo, I never played that, but I did play The Gungan Frontier and Droidworks when I was a kid and loved them. They're probably in my mam's attic now. I'll have to get them out again next time I visit, this thread is making me wonder if they'll actually be as much fun as I remember. LucasArts's merchandise was always way more fun than the actual films.

Man, I thought I was the only person who played Droidworks. It was the best game because it had a dance button in the create-a-droid screen so you could watch your crazy droid break it down and burn up the dance floor. I actually don't remember much else about that game other than it being one of the things that started my love of engineering and making things.

And, uhhh for a terrible thing, I really liked Captain Planet? Nowdays the best thing I can say about it is that if I have kids, I'm going to show them Captain Planet to explain what the 90s were. If they don't get it, that's ok because we didn't either.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
For about a year when my family would go to the video store to rent movies I would always pick out Jingle All the Way. I had to have seen it at least 30 times. I haven't seen it since then, so I have no idea how bad it actually is, but I know that I absolutely loved that movie.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

When I was 13, I got 3 of these books at a thrift shop. They were trashy as hell. The stories initially seem like hard-boiled detective fiction but it was just about the main character boning every female character in the book but the one who worked at the station with him. Imagine those if one of those Skinimax films had a novelization. I still can't believe my parents let me read these when every cover was a girl in lingerie sitting in those Looney Tunes circles.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Being in a serious raiding guild in WoW. I mean, it was kinda fun, but at some point I realized I was scheduling around raidtimes, and that it had essentially become a part time job that I wasn't getting paid for.
Also was pretty into Gunbound for a few years, which really just wasn't that great a game. After a while it kinda ended up being more about hanging out with buddies on Ventrilo though, so I guess that's ok.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Action Tortoise posted:

When I was 13, I got 3 of these books at a thrift shop. They were trashy as hell. The stories initially seem like hard-boiled detective fiction but it was just about the main character boning every female character in the book but the one who worked at the station with him. Imagine those if one of those Skinimax films had a novelization. I still can't believe my parents let me read these when every cover was a girl in lingerie sitting in those Looney Tunes circles.

Action Books for Men are a huge guilty pleasure of mine. poo poo, Somewhere I have like a 3x3x3 box of just Mack Bolan novels.

Read them all too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bunnielab posted:

Action Books for Men are a huge guilty pleasure of mine.

Remo Williams. At least the first 100 books, say.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InediblePenguin posted:

It's still a dumb thing to care about, plus it's basically saying "I know this band's thought processes and motivations better than they do themselves, and am a better judge of what they OUGHT to be creating than them too." Especially since a lot of people turn their critical engagement skills off entirely and simply conflate "is on the radio" with "has no creativity" (even bubblegum pop can be musically interesting and engaging in its own right - "Call Me Maybe" is, musically speaking, wicked interesting and does some non-standard things, but a lot of listeners still considered it "not art" just because it's on pop radio.)

Nah, it's not as complicated as all that. Sometimes you find an artist that makes neat music. You enjoy what they do and get pretty excited when they release new albums. One day they come up with a drastically different sound and maybe you don't like it anymore. Sometimes it's not a value judgment on the artist, but rather just plain old disappointment that their original style won't be available to you anymore.

Kind of like if your favorite burger place where you take everyone when they visit from out of town one day shuts down because the owner could make more money opening a subway franchise there. Good on the owner, he's doing his thing but the fact is you're not gonna get any more burgs.

For content, JNCO. Stupidest poo poo a human has placed upon their body.

Danger Mahoney has a new favorite as of 06:23 on May 14, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Danger Mahoney posted:

For content, JNCO. Stupidest poo poo a human has placed upon their body.

What was it that made JNCO jeans so incredibly popular? I remember seeing kids in high school wearing JNCOs so hideously oversized they could barely walk.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What was it that made JNCO jeans so incredibly popular? I remember seeing kids in high school wearing JNCOs so hideously oversized they could barely walk.

I dunno, there was a window of like two years in the late nineties when rave culture got popular. There is no earthly explanation for this. Kids at my high school would bring glow sticks to class for some reason. Visors blew up. For reference, I grew up in a small Texas town probably two hundred miles from the nearest legitimate rave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Lhet posted:

Being in a serious raiding guild in WoW. I mean, it was kinda fun, but at some point I realized I was scheduling around raidtimes, and that it had essentially become a part time job that I wasn't getting paid for.

Same experience. Played WOW for almost a year, raided for about 3 or 4 months then realized I wasn't actually having any fun playing it anymore and quit once the guild started acting like jackasses anyway.

• Locked thread