Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The main dude the drama was centered around was an adult complaining that welfare in the UK required him to look for a job and he couldn't mod Minecraft AND look for a job, so he needed that adf.ly money. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Honestly you could be a Bangladeshi sweatshop worker and still earn more than you would through adf.ly, so I don't know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The main dude the drama was centered around was an adult complaining that welfare in the UK required him to look for a job and he couldn't mod Minecraft AND look for a job, so he needed that adf.ly money. Yeah.

Oh god I can just imagine him telling his advisor at the jobcenter about how the hours he spent arguing about modders rights should totally count as looking for work.

Also UK jobseeking requirements can be done in like, an hour per week.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

OwlFancier posted:

Also UK jobseeking requirements can be done in like, an hour per week.

As someone who's been unemployed in less unemployment scapegoating times than we're in just now, i can tell you it definitely takes more than an hour a week to do stuff for them.

And with people who've been unemployed for over 2 years now being required to go into the job centre every day, it takes even longer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kin posted:

As someone who's been unemployed in less unemployment scapegoating times than we're in just now, i can tell you it definitely takes more than an hour a week to do stuff for them.

And with people who've been unemployed for over 2 years now being required to go into the job centre every day, it takes even longer.

*shrug* I was unemployed for three years just before Christmas, never had to do much more than an hour a week other than visits which took maybe another hour intermittently.

The media and government are super lovely about blaming jobseekers for everything but it's not something that consumes a lot of your time.

Though I suppose yeah I did manage to avoid that every day thing. Even still 'I can't look for work and mod minecraft' is a really dumb excuse.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Doing a sweet setup starting out on a new character, a ton of trees and plants at the ready to help me dig out the planet and then comes a huge chunk of spacerock ruining all that and nearly killing me in the process. Covered by meteorite rock in a deep pit I'm not even mad, I'm grinning wide and loving it. Not a single hint of impact craters on my starter planet either so this was a very rare event, a wonderful thing.

They can take their sweet time getting peoples new homes and positions secured, this is going to be so an amazing product when it's ready to roll out as a completed product.

(Increased chance of eating a lightning strike if above $height wielding&wearing $metal?)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 11, 2014

Innominandus
Dec 25, 2005
nolite nominare me

Magmarashi posted:

You wish it was a marker of early teenage shitbaggery, because the alternative is these people are actual, real adults with the ability to vote and capacity for breeding and they'll never grow up and get better because they've already grew past the stage or any proper social development. The uncomfortable truth is just that, they are adults that have already moved way past their peak and now ferment in their own mental immaturity.

I was cruelly disillusioned when I was playing Counter-Strike back in the day, and the people spouting 4chan memes over voice chat were clearly, given their voices, well out of high school at least. Before then I had literally envisioned everyone posting MUDKIPS LULZ as actually being a 13-year-old. Sadly no. In fact I suspect that most 13-year-old kids online try to keep a low profile. I know I did.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ehh, some folks have really low voices quite young (and some have really high-pitched ones even though they're older). I was comfortably a Bass 2 at fourteen, but I knew a guy a little older than me who still sounds like a kid and used to complain about getting called "ma'am" on the phone by assumption. I heard enough little kids playing Call of Duty back in university that they aren't an invisible demographic, but yeah, there are definitely a good share of screaming manchildren adults. You only need to tune in to any celebrity reality TV program to see that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Quick actual game related Q. Is there still no way to speed up nights on the planet surface?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I'm firmly in the camp thinking this games' community is no worse than any other I've seen - the sentiment that <game x's community is especially awful> tends to crop up in most game threads I've read on this forum since I joined, and I think the truth of it is simply that if you look at communities/community sites where anyone can register and be somewhat anonymous they'll be really quite horrible indeed barring some kind of strong moderation.

I mean, yeah, there's a bunch of shitheads on the official forums and I'm genuinely sorry Chucklefish reps have to wade through all that dreck but I've also been exposed to both the minecraft and oblivion/skyrim modding community - or the wow forums. I'll take the community attached to Starbound any time of the day over those, thank you very much. :)

Especially as the developer itself is pretty :radcat:.

Edit:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Quick actual game related Q. Is there still no way to speed up nights on the planet surface?

None that I've found at least -- the only way seems to be to beam up to your ship, wait 10-20 seconds and then beam back down.

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 12, 2014

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

One of the developers put up a personal explanation of why the updates are currently sparse right now. It seems after May where most of the developers will all be together is when we'll be getting constant updates again.

quote:

Our "future indie gamez development studio" is so amatuerishly bad that in the absence of an engine specific tile editor we are unable to find the grid overlay feature present in all modern pixel-drawing-capable art programs. Also thanks for your money we used it to give several people a 1.5 yr European vacation that will end in drama publically viewable on twitter.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Please tell us more about how mad you are about Starbound. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ernie Muppari posted:

Or at least source your quotes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I never thought I'd hear someone complain about a development team moving to an office instead of having everyone work remotely. How on earth is that not the most logical progression when a company becomes successful?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ernie Muppari posted:

I.. I don't think he's mad about starbound?

Unless I'm just misinterpreting that unlabled quote as as "Dev makes sarcastic comments about what they are using your money for."

EDIT: The internet has ruined my ability to tell the difference between forms of sarcasm. I wish a dev really did say "Yes, We are totally using your money for a sweet vacation :rolleyes:" though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 12, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Section Z posted:

Unless I'm just misinterpreting that unlabled quote as as "Dev makes sarcastic comments about what they are using your money for."

Given that none of what zolthorg quoted was in that post, I think you are!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Section Z posted:

I couldn't find that quote anywhere in the post or comments.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the people complaining are being irrational, but on the other hand the current trend of using your player-base as a)workers you don't pay so that you can skim content from them, and b)investors who fund the early stages of your game through early access or kickstarter has produced a lot of this irrational hatred and elevated expectations.

When the narrative is that your community is so important and you treat them like both investors who don't earn dividends and developers who don't earn a salary it can't be surprising that they start demanding things of you. I feel like this explains a lot of the rancor directed at indie developers like Notch and the Chucklefish guys. Of course it's idiotic to expect a developer to conform to your development schedule demands, but it's not unexpected given the current atmosphere surrounding indie games.

treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?

sector_corrector posted:

I think the people complaining are being irrational, but on the other hand the current trend of using your player-base as a)workers you don't pay so that you can skim content from them, and b)investors who fund the early stages of your game through early access or kickstarter has produced a lot of this irrational hatred and elevated expectations.

When the narrative is that your community is so important and you treat them like both investors who don't earn dividends and developers who don't earn a salary it can't be surprising that they start demanding things of you. I feel like this explains a lot of the rancor directed at indie developers like Notch and the Chucklefish guys. Of course it's idiotic to expect a developer to conform to your development schedule demands, but it's not unexpected given the current atmosphere surrounding indie games.

So you're saying that through structuring their game to be mod-friendly, and providing forums and tools for said mods to be developed in peoples' own free time, developers are somehow indenturing their playerbase into modding servitude? The games are usually packaged with bright sparkly labels that practically shout "WORK IN PROGRESS". What more can you expect when you willingly purchase and choose to contribute time to modding an entertainment product sold with that caveat?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

treestump posted:

So you're saying that through structuring their game to be mod-friendly, and providing forums and tools for said mods to be developed in peoples' own free time, developers are somehow indenturing their playerbase into modding servitude? The games are usually packaged with bright sparkly labels that practically shout "WORK IN PROGRESS". What more can you expect when you willingly purchase and choose to contribute time to modding an entertainment product sold with that caveat?

Quite a lot?

Your mistake here is assuming their fans always act in a rational, logical, or understanding manner

He's not wrong, to some extent, any early access game is a) paying for an unfinished product and b) providing free QA, feedback, and tweaks/features/mods for free, which do have value

Obviously both are totally voluntary, but it's not hard to see how rabid_internet_fan_01 would make the short leap from informed consumer to ~entitled~ consumer. "I paid for X and did Y for X, so dev owes me Z!"

edit: Here's a fun story somewhat related to the insane fan thread.

Some years back I was working at a big developer on a popular game, just after it had a large public beta. I happened to stroll by the front door reception desk area while grabbing lunch. A very unusual and incredulous conversation caught my ears, followed by a flurry of activity by security.

What was it? A fan and his girlfriend had driven across the country to proudly (proudly) hand deliver beta feedback and bug reports. They were shocked and extremely angry that showing up at the developers door was not greeted with fanfare, royal carpet, tours, profuse thanks, &c

(I'm not conflating obviously crazy behavior with your average fan, mind, just a story!)

victrix fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 13, 2014

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I don't know what it is about modders these days, they act like someone has a gun to their head. Presumably, people write mods because it's fun and, if they get asked if it can be included in the game, they get super excited that someone thinks that something they wrote as a hobby is any good at all. To then turn around and act upset that they're not getting paid for it or start making demands on the real developers based on some crap they wrote for fun is completely mad.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wouldn't get upset. But fwiw I'm also 26 and have a job and this is just a fun hobby to me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree that the devs don't owe anyone anything and that nobody is forcing people to back, fund or mod. However, even realizing the irrationality of the anger, I can still understand the source of it.

The new indie dev mantra seems to put the community first and talk about how important they are. It's unsurprising when a bunch of teenagers who probably don't have a whole lot in their lives outside of video games actually take that to heart. It's also unsurprising that in one of the worst economic climates for the young in recent memory people look to unpaid mod work as their stepping stone to a games industry job, and then begin to misconstrue their involvement with the game as something approaching actual employment.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I agree that the devs don't owe anyone anything and that nobody is forcing people to back, fund or mod. However, even realizing the irrationality of the anger, I can still understand the source of it.

The new indie dev mantra seems to put the community first and talk about how important they are. It's unsurprising when a bunch of teenagers who probably don't have a whole lot in their lives outside of video games actually take that to heart. It's also unsurprising that in one of the worst economic climates for the young in recent memory people look to unpaid mod work as their stepping stone to a games industry job, and then begin to misconstrue their involvement with the game as something approaching actual employment.

Again, I think we're conflagrating the degree to which these attitudes are coming from 'teenagers/the youth'. I've yet to see extensive mod drama, regardless of the source (Nexus, Minecraft, others), that has blown up to this degree and NOT been the product of a late 20 something or even early to mid 30 something. Shouldering the blame of these actions so much on youth obfuscates the real problem, which is that we have grown rear end adults, age 25 to as old as 38, running about acting in such a manner that we -would- excuse if they were just young teens who didn't know better.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Chalks posted:

I don't know what it is about modders these days, they act like someone has a gun to their head.

They have diagnosable headwrongs, I am actually convinced.

Back in the days I programmed in QuakeC to mod that game it was "hey check out this cool thing I made", went to "here's a little map-TC concept" for Quake 2, then full projects on HL1 because teams were interested in the stuff and wanted to do something, learn something, have the fun experience of creating.

A while after 99% of the mods became "web design 100%, everything else 0%" projects of lone hopefuls who expected people to come to them, instead of asking around like the older modders. Then here we are today.

For every genial "hey check out this cool thing I made" there are twelve "clean faces" and ten "GIVE ME MONEY" made by someone with a private paypal donation button on his Twitch stream about to get grumpy upon finding out that licking rear end for donations over the internet doesn't work very well.

(I think it comes from internet mentality changes over the years. It's like music and film, there was poo poo then, there is poo poo now, it's just that you need to look a bit harder to find gold now.)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magmarashi posted:

Again, I think we're conflagrating the degree to which these attitudes are coming from 'teenagers/the youth'. I've yet to see extensive mod drama, regardless of the source (Nexus, Minecraft, others), that has blown up to this degree and NOT been the product of a late 20 something or even early to mid 30 something. Shouldering the blame of these actions so much on youth obfuscates the real problem, which is that we have grown rear end adults, age 25 to as old as 38, running about acting in such a manner that we -would- excuse if they were just young teens who didn't know better.

Ah, I supposed I might be wrong, then. In either case, the economy is pretty bad all around, so people unrealistically treating modding like a job instead of a hobby makes sense in that case as well (maybe more-so, since the stakes are higher the older you get without having satisfying employment).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Ah, I supposed I might be wrong, then. In either case, the economy is pretty bad all around, so people unrealistically treating modding like a job instead of a hobby makes sense in that case as well (maybe more-so, since the stakes are higher the older you get without having satisfying employment).

Don't get me started on the degree to which manchildren and excited college grads wanting to 'WORK ON GAMES FOR A LIVING AT ANY COST FOR ANY SALARY!!' fucks with the industry as a whole :/

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Seriously, Molly, Tiy, if you want my weird mods in your game all I ask for is a cool forum badge. Like a pretty cool one

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Shoehead posted:

Seriously, Molly, Tiy, if you want my weird mods in your game all I ask for is a cool forum badge. Like a pretty cool one

Yeah, that'd be cool!

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Shoehead posted:

OK

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
One that let's all the other modders know, I'm BETTER than them.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
She used to post here... or at least did in the Private Games forums.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd hate to see what kind of badge I'd qualify for

Give it to me anyway

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I should fix up me and Desi's buttbot mod. I should actually mod this month. ..

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It would be really rad if Mantizi got in, but I'm not going to expect it or anything. I put a lot of work into the mod but it's just a hobby, modding. Last thing I need to be doing is stressing over it or acting a fool.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Shoehead posted:

I should fix up me and Desi's buttbot mod. I should actually mod this month. ..

Finish the skellies! It's by far my favorite mod and has revitalized my interest in the game. Nothing quite as rad as tearing up the universe as a purple mohawked skeleton. Should be integrated into the game imo.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Yeah in terms of custom races, I think the Skellies are waaay closer to something that fits the game aesthetic and humor than things like the Avali or Peglaci. If I didn't know different and someone said 'yeah they're a vanilla race' I'd totally believe them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I just want the persistent plant growth thing to be officially in the game. I assume it still isn't, because no one has mentioned it in a while, and I haven't played in like 2 months or more.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants a reasonable forum title on the Starbound forum I'll totes hook you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

make shoehead's title "Master of Scaremonies"

• Locked thread