Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Isn't the whole "Well maybe those rabble should just do trades while the aristocracy and those who we deem to be gifted get traditional university educations" argument the real classist one? Also assuming people made this argument got there way and 90% of people going to higher education did trades instead, wouldn't this kind of massively increase the labor supply of said trades and depress wages?
Well I think you can structure it like you describe, but I don't think that that's automatically the case. It's sort of implicitly classist in its own right to say that doing indoor desk work for $25k is preferable to doing outdoor physical work for $40k.

That said: Yes, it would greatly increase the supply of skilled labor, and probably thereby lower wages and costs for the aristocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

SubponticatePoster posted:

Please tell me you didn't actually sent it off with "College's" in there.

Unless you're being meta about education :buddy:

Thankfully no, It's a process whenever I write anything... First drafts and all that... :ohdear: Editing it now

As you can see I also have problems with capitalization because my finger loves to loving hover over the shift key :eng99:

Edit: Ho man I made a mess apparently... Fixing this now.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 13, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiffster posted:

I've been surprised before. My father has actually hosted state representatives before, but considering that was years before the Tea Party and the death of compromise, You are most likely right.

As you can see I'm pretty much guaranteed to be blown off but at least I tried right?

You should in some way say what you think should be done instead of that something should be done. No one in the country things that tuition increases and the debt of graduates is not a problem.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Someone who has taken science, math, history, and art is better equipped to make decisions in a democracy than someone who has never poked their head out of a laboratory so I'd say less. Specialization is the enemy of education.

Again, we have to define what makes someone a more successful citizen than another. It's arguable that a country will work best if everyone votes for people who will represent their own interests and needs. Don't need a lot of education to know that.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Zeitgueist posted:

Because mis/lack of info is not the problem. Universities aren't going to cut costs because they're trying to make money. You're not going to guide people to the "right" majors because there isn't a right major. There's just ones that that happen to be hiring 4-5 years after you went to school, which is never going to be the answer for millions of people and is notoroiously hard to predict. That is why I said you got lucky.

And the whole "just do a trade" thing is also a pipe dream. There aren't enough jobs in trades.

Once again, you're trying to talk about personal solutions to a societal problem. You've widened your scope a bit to "guidance counseling" instead of "make the right major choice", but you're still far too narrowly focused.

But (and I know I'm trying to apply simplified economic theory to an issue that is way more complex), in theory if your guidance counselors understand that whichever university you go to is largely irrelevant in the job market with a small set of exceptions, they can steer you to cheaper options (or, rather, options more suited to your financial situation), thus driving up demand to the cheaper schools and reducing demand to the more expensive schools.

The more expensive schools then, in theory, either reduce costs or offer more scholarships to lure more students in. The cheaper schools can, with their new influx of students, start increasing prices but then your guidance counselors are keeping up with this and can redirect future students to the other cheap schools.

In effect you would be trying to highlight price as a discriminating factor to both students and parents. You could also couple this with advice on majors, such as "here's the unemployment rate for these job markets in the local area/area around the targeted college, here's what majors seem to be in the most demand, here is some information about up-and-coming jobs in the area."

I think that applying personal solutions to future generations will help reverse/curb the societal problem... what societal solutions would you suggest instead?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Isn't the whole "Well maybe those rabble should just do trades while the aristocracy and those who we deem to be gifted get traditional university educations" argument the real classist one? Also assuming people made this argument got their way and 90% of people going to higher education did trades instead, wouldn't this kind of massively increase the labor supply of said trades and depress wages?

Yeah, pretty much. I hear a lot about how it's too easy for people who don't really want to be there to get into college and how we should be promoting the trades as an option more. In practice, however, this would just lead back to the era rich white people getting college degrees and everyone else being shuffled into "trades" which have suffered from offshoring, union-busting, and the massive slump in construction over the last decade.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

You should in some way say what you think should be done instead of that something should be done. No one in the country things that tuition increases and the debt of graduates is not a problem.

Some do... they think they deserve it for studying on a credit card and loans. Keep in mind I'm talking to a Tea Partier here. Her primary goals are Tax cuts, Repealing Obamacare, and DEBT!

But you are right, I'll see if I can add a bit more on what can be done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Some do... they think they deserve it for studying on a credit card and loans. Keep in mind I'm talking to a Tea Partier here. Her primary goals are Tax cuts, Repealing Obamacare, and DEBT!

But you are right, I'll see if I can add a bit more on what can be done.

Does she not have a position plank on college tuition?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Amergin posted:

But (and I know I'm trying to apply simplified economic theory to an issue that is way more complex), in theory if your guidance counselors understand that whichever university you go to is largely irrelevant in the job market with a small set of exceptions, they can steer you to cheaper options (or, rather, options more suited to your financial situation), thus driving up demand to the cheaper schools and reducing demand to the more expensive schools.

The more expensive schools then, in theory, either reduce costs or offer more scholarships to lure more students in. The cheaper schools can, with their new influx of students, start increasing prices but then your guidance counselors are keeping up with this and can redirect future students to the other cheap schools.

In effect you would be trying to highlight price as a discriminating factor to both students and parents. You could also couple this with advice on majors, such as "here's the unemployment rate for these job markets in the local area/area around the targeted college, here's what majors seem to be in the most demand, here is some information about up-and-coming jobs in the area."

I think that applying personal solutions to future generations will help reverse/curb the societal problem... what societal solutions would you suggest instead?
Education is a systemic problem, not a personal one. When 18 year old kids are told again and again that the only way to get a decent career is to go to college and take out loans to do it, the problem isn't that the kids are failing to be responsible adults, it's that everyone around them is selling them a lie. People are getting rich off selling that lie; look at the extraordinary growth of administrators and their inflated wages, and the construction companies that are always building something new on campus. Blaming them for believing it when an entire industry wants them to believe it and tying them down with undischargeable debt that will sooner or later come crashing down on the US economy is foolish. It's completely unsustainable, and literally the best thing anyone can do to stop it is massive debt forgiveness, or to make them dischageable in bankruptcy. Telling the next generation to go into trades or to not go to college isn't going to change the impending disaster. The problem isn't bad advice, it's that the whole loving thing is broken. There's basically no advice that can be given that doesn't, in the end, boil down to luck. There's no way the US education system can continue the way it has if it wants to survive.

My alma mater--an affordable state school--raised its tuition $2500 in four years. That's loving insane, completely unjustifiable, and completely unsustainable.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

News alert: SCOTUS Justices are biased! :siren:

EDIT:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Education is a systemic problem, not a personal one. When 18 year old kids are told again and again that the only way to get a decent career is to go to college and take out loans to do it, the problem isn't that the kids are failing to be responsible adults, it's that everyone around them is selling them a lie. People are getting rich off selling that lie; look at the extraordinary growth of administrators and their inflated wages, and the construction companies that are always building something new on campus. Blaming them for believing it when an entire industry wants them to believe it and tying them down with undischargeable debt that will sooner or later come crashing down on the US economy is foolish. It's completely unsustainable, and literally the best thing anyone can do to stop it is massive debt forgiveness, or to make them dischageable in bankruptcy. Telling the next generation to go into trades or to not go to college isn't going to change the impending disaster. The problem isn't bad advice, it's that the whole loving thing is broken. There's basically no advice that can be given that doesn't, in the end, boil down to luck. There's no way the US education system can continue the way it has if it wants to survive.

My alma mater--an affordable state school--raised its tuition $2500 in four years. That's loving insane, completely unjustifiable, and completely unsustainable.

Again, if you change the system so kids aren't being fed the lie, you're changing the system. If a kid says "I want to go to school X in state Y for an art degree even though art-related unemployment is 70% there" and your counselor tells you "You're a loving moron, go to school A which is a helluva lot cheaper and in state B where the unemployment isn't nearly so high" then you're curbing that kid's debt and improving his chances of paying any debt back before the kid makes his/her decision.

I keep hearing "The problem is we're being fed a lie so the system is broken" and I'm saying "So let's get kids better info and stop lying" and the response seems to be "But that's a personal solution to a systemic problem." I'm sorry, I must be missing something here because that isn't telling me anything.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I'm curious to what extent "learn to code" will supplant trade school as the panacea of choice, what with the prominence of the Boy Kings of Silicon Valley. I mean, to some extent it has, but I mean in the David Brooks Yale School of Humility "too many [of other people's] kids are going to college" sense.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Does she not have a position plank on college tuition?

She did vote to keep intrest rates down but that's all I can see. I'm assuming that because she's strongly in the Tea Party camp (or was until they shifted even further right :psyduck: ) that she's strongly against any government "handouts". I'm trying to recommend a GPA tied to federal funds system to see if babysteps will work. It won't but still...

Edit: Some tinkering and updated letter.

letter posted:

Thanks in advance for your time Congresswoman.

As a representative of Indiana's 2nd District, you are well aware of all the great schools and colleges that we have to offer to all of our citizens. From Notre Dame to IUSB, education has a strong presence in the hearts and minds of its constituents. However ,when it comes how we treat those seeking higher education, it's becoming increasingly difficult for people to escape enormous burdens of debt. Student loan debt has increased to unprecedented levels, on average reaching 30,000 dollars per student. It's not unheard of that some debt will even reach levels of 100,000 dollars and even with this, there is no guarantees for work in the future. This trend is unsustainable and it's going to cause severe problems in the future of our great nation.

Other countries in the world seem to have grasped the fact that if we truly want to have a better workforce and overall way of life, education spending needs to be a focus. In a country as blessed as ours, it pains me to see that the first thing on the chopping block for budget cuts every time is the future of our best and brightest. As a representative that came into power thanks to the tea party I know the thought of new taxes is a non starter, but with as much money as we take in, there has to be a way to divert spending from areas to bolster our future. With education spending in the budget being only a tenth of the overall representation of the budget while defense spending is continually increasing despite objections from those inside the military, there has to be some way to do something to help our overburdened education system.

I propose that we divert spending from defense and other areas if possible to help provide tuition for students who are truly serious about their education. By creating a system to tie federal funding on tuition with GPA, we can help weed out those who truly want to be at a school and those who are only their to waste time and money. We will be putting a student to task to truly earn their degree and be able to start a life without being extremely in debt. If this is done, we are able to not only invest wisely in our country's future, but truly show to the world how great America is to its brightest.

As someone who believes that the United States is the best country in the world, Shouldn't we focus on making sure our citizens can have reliable access to higher education without the worry of being completely swamped with debt for the majority of their adult lives? Shouldn't we be striving to help prepare for the next big thing? How you respond will have a huge impact on me coming this November. Please consider your options and look for a brighter future.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 13, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Amergin posted:

Even the cheaper schools will put you massively into debt. But many jobs require you have a degree. Nobody knows what degree, because if you could predict the economy with any degree of certainty 4 years into the future you'd be a millionaire and not a guidance councilor.

We live in a country where it's hard to find a decent job in fast food, let alone white collar jobs. Even relatively small amounts of debt are burdensome.

quote:

Have the government pay for college. Increase funding for education below college level. Provide jobs for people with majors that aren't directly applicable to private enterprise(research, teaching, etc). Have an economy where jobs aren't so incredibly scarce that you have millions of people chasing the same few majors.

None of these things are going to happen, why do you think people in this thread drink? The solutions are known, they're just not politically viable.

Harping on personal responsibility is simply telling people they should feel bad about getting hosed over in a rigged game. Sure, some folks are lazy or listless, but claiming they're a societal issue is naive.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Leaving aside the persuasiveness of the data based on stuff like samples, etc., I think it's much more that legal politics and ideology have influenced partisan politics, not the other way around.

That said, judges have always been biased as hell, it's just that until the last seventy years or so their biases have been the same on the issues that intuitively touch upon facets of people's lives.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A solution to the problem it would seem, is better paying service sector jobs, coupled with a mincome for the unemployed. Let's face it that not everyone is cut out for college, or even trade work. But there's no reason those people (including myself for a good portion of my life) should be destitute or unable to live a fulfilling and independant life.

We put far too much social capital into our occupations.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

Have the government pay for college. Increase funding for education below college level. Provide jobs for people with majors that aren't directly applicable to private enterprise(research, teaching, etc). Have an economy where jobs aren't so incredibly scarce that you have millions of people chasing the same few majors.

None of these things are going to happen, why do you think people in this thread drink? The solutions are known, they're just not politically viable.

Harping on personal responsibility is simply telling people they should feel bad about getting hosed over in a rigged game. Sure, some folks are lazy or listless, but claiming they're a societal issue is naive.

How do we pay for government-paid college? How do we pay for increased funding for education pre-college? And how do we create paid jobs out of thin air for people whose skills aren't applicable to the private market? And how do we magically create an economy where there is a jobs surplus, or at the very least a job for every person?

I'm not arguing with you because I disagree with your ideas - I would love more focus on pre-college education and to live in an economy with jobs galore, and free university education would be wonderful assuming taxes don't skyrocket - the problem is I see goals but no way to get there.

To me, a solution that isn't politically viable isn't a solution unless you somehow change the politics. I would love to absolve all student loan debt and make it a non-issue, but how we pay for that and how we get it through our political system is a mystery. Thus I proposed easier solutions to swallow to curb future student loan debt growth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

How do we pay for government-paid college? How do we pay for increased funding for education pre-college? And how do we create paid jobs out of thin air for people whose skills aren't applicable to the private market? And how do we magically create an economy where there is a jobs surplus, or at the very least a job for every person?

I'm not arguing with you because I disagree with your ideas - I would love more focus on pre-college education and to live in an economy with jobs galore - the problem is I see goals but no way to get there.

To me, a solution that isn't politically viable isn't a solution unless you somehow change the politics. I would love to absolve all student loan debt and make it a non-issue, but how we pay for that and how we get it through our political system is a mystery. Thus I proposed easier solutions to swallow to curb future student loan debt growth.

It's a very good question and a difficult one to be sure but it starts with an equitable and effective progressive tax code and the gutting of the military industrial complex.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Talmonis posted:

A solution to the problem it would seem, is better paying service sector jobs, coupled with a mincome for the unemployed. Let's face it that not everyone is cut out for college, or even trade work. But there's no reason those people (including myself for a good portion of my life) should be destitute or unable to live a fulfilling and independant life.

Sadly a GMI or Mincome will never, ever happen. Maybe in the next incarnation of the United States government or whatever her successor state is, but not this one. Going back to previous tax rates is considered forbidden and "not serious" and if that highly conservative stance is out of the question then more radical things are as well. The elite would sooner invest in nerve gas dispensing murder drones than a GMI.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 13, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Talmonis posted:

I think the reason that people resist the not-everyone-is-cut-out-for-college line is because our structures are really bad at figuring out who is and isn't cut out for college and makes those determinations on grounds we at least superficially claim are unacceptable (or, worse, they're really bad about actively shaping students to conform to the roles they prescribe).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Amergin posted:

You've had this answered before when you were complaining about government spending and people told you, then you disappeared for a week(If I'm remembering you right).

We have the money. It's simply not being spent on these things.

The government can create jobs, we did that in the 30's and 50's and much of our national infrastructure that we're letting rot comes from there. There's not a lack of things to be done, just a lack of money paying for them to be done. Do you seriously think we don't need more teachers, more researchers, etc?

quote:

I'm not arguing with you because I disagree with your ideas - I would love more focus on pre-college education and to live in an economy with jobs galore - the problem is I see goals but no way to get there.

I think you're coming at this with preconceived biases(concern trolling). I think you don't want to see ways to get there. Listen to the other people in this thread instead of arguing with them, if you want to see how to get there.

Then realize that it doesn't matter what you think the changes won't get maid. Then ask for drink advice.

quote:

Your solutions can't fix the problem, because you don't understand the problem. And you can't change the politics without money. If you can, I wish you luck, but I try to be somewhat realistic.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Sadly a GMI or Mincome will never, ever happen. Maybe in the next incarnation of the United States government or whatever her successor state is, but not this one. Going back to previous tax rates is considered forbidden and "not serious" and if that highly conservative stance is out of the question then more radical things are as well. The elite would sooner invest in nerve gas dispensing murder drones than a GMI.

I'm not so sure to be honest. We're already getting a tiny glimpse of the scale of unemployment we could get in the near future. The elite should be very, very afraid of millions of young Americans with nothing to lose.

Which explains the prison-industrial complex neatly...

My drink of choice is a Bloody Mary, dialed up to 11 on the spice.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Talmonis posted:

I'm not so sure to be honest. We're already getting a tiny glimpse of the scale of unemployment we could get in the near future. The elite should be very, very afraid of millions of young Americans with nothing to lose.

Bloody Maria supremacy all day every day.

(Actually the 4/14 rule is good for drinking and will contribute to losing weight!)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Maybe he realizes that systemic fixes aren't in the offing, so it's better to hustle than it is to lie there like a beached whale with a Doctor Who shirt stretched over its helpless form.

You should really log out when you finish with a public computer, or a College Republican could use your account to make posts like this.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Talmonis posted:

I imagine that the unemployment will be caused by continuing economic stagnation, and the student loan bubble? I don't know what you think will cause it and I'm genuinely curious since I'm not too up on what'll cause the next great American crisis (hopefully met with a new New Deal and not more austerity).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I imagine that the unemployment will be caused by continuing economic stagnation, and the student loan bubble? I don't know what you think will cause it and I'm genuinely curious since I'm not too up on what'll cause the next great American crisis (hopefully met with a new New Deal and not more austerity).

Barring some black swan thing it's going to be healthcare spending as a portion of the budget.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Talmonis posted:

They likely should be but I don't think they are. The USSR was defeated, China roughly came around to their way of thinking, leftist organization has been totally crushed, and they are getting extremely rich. Who is going to stop them? As far as they are concerned it is total, complete, and decisive victory. That they can effectively make more money via the prison-industrial complex is just icing on the cake.

I man, by a measure of "Who can stop me?" what really stands in the way?

Edit: Now that I think about it they probably shouldn't be scared. Unorganized mobs of people are more dangerous to each other than elites.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 13, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Warszawa posted:

I'm curious to what extent "learn to code" will supplant trade school as the panacea of choice, what with the prominence of the Boy Kings of Silicon Valley. I mean, to some extent it has, but I mean in the David Brooks Yale School of Humility "too many [of other people's] kids are going to college" sense.

In 10 years 'learn to code' will be on par with 'learn how to use excel'. It'll be a secondary skill that gets selected as part of a double major along with what you actually want to do

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

They likely should be but I don't think they are. The USSR was defeated, China roughly came around to their way of thinking, leftist organization has been totally crushed, and they are getting extremely rich. Who is going to stop them? As far as they are concerned it is total, complete, and decisive victory. That they can effectively make more money via the prison-industrial complex is just icing on the cake.

Edit: Now that I think about it they probably shouldn't be scared. Unorganized mobs of people are more dangerous to each other than elites.

Well there was this little dust up called the French Revolution. And the Russian Revolution. And the Chinese Revolution. And so on.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

In 10 years 'learn to code' will be on par with 'learn how to use excel'. It'll be a secondary skill that gets selected as part of a double major along with what you actually want to do

After trying my hand at coding and achieving mediocre results with lots of frustration I think you just described a dystopia.

zoux posted:

Well there was this little dust up called the French Revolution. And the Russian Revolution. And the Chinese Revolution. And so on.

All preceded by large levels of organization and if you haven't noticed all three were reversed.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 13, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

What everyone in silicon valley believes.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

VitalSigns posted:

You should really log out when you finish with a public computer, or a College Republican could use your account to make posts like this.

The College Republican argument is that there are no issues with the system to be fixed, SedanChair seems to be arguing that the system isn't getting fixed any time soon and thus it is better to have hustled and fallen short than to sink into despair and ennui.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

That Bundy Ranch ally who was begging for welfare took down his Gofundme page. :lol:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Good Citizen posted:

You mean all the mid-twenties workers will be doing it for the bosses who told them to learn it and never did themselves?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

The College Republican argument is that there are no issues with the system to be fixed, SedanChair seems to be arguing that the system isn't getting fixed any time soon and thus it is better to have hustled and fallen short than to sink into despair and ennui.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOKsOveYD0

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zoux posted:

I don't think something like that would ever happen here. Too many Americans like to blame the poor, minorities and the 'takers' for their problems instead of the real parasites: the wealthy and ultra wealthy. Only a sustained, Great-Depression era disaster for everyone but the rich might affect something like that. And maybe not even then. As to what will spur the change, I don't know. I thought '08 might do it and it clearly didn't. Nor did the non-prosecution of people who stole from the entire country.

Most Americans don't even give a poo poo for the current status quo: Do $500 in damage, get sent to jail and raped for eight years. Do trillions of dollars in damage, get a government bailout and praised as a job creator. This country is a loving joke. I'm going to get a drink.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

Only a sustained, Great-Depression era disaster for everyone but the rich might affect something like that.

*gestures George Costanza-like to the America that surrounds you today*

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

They really should be though. This country is very heavily armed, and has easy access to a variety of volitile chemicals. The homegrown terror that kind of mass unemployment would cause could make the entirety of middle eastern terrorism look like disneyland by comparison. At present, the elite don't hide in fortified bunkers to escape the masses. That would have to change, if they expect to get away with it.

Seriously though, why would you want to turn the country into the kind of stratified hellscape of the third world? It seems like it'd be much more comfortable to just be rich somewhere the people don't want to kill you if they get a chance.

zoux posted:

*gestures George Costanza-like to the America that surrounds you today*

It's not that bad yet, because we still have those few remaining safety nets that the right hasn't been able to destroy. When we hit "lard sandwich with sugar for dinner" levels on a mass scale, we'll know it's Great Depression time.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Good Citizen posted:

Developer tools have to get a looooooot better for that to be true.

Like I know from personal experience you can do a lot of arcane stuff with Excel but just as a basic spreadsheet software most people can do it fine. Most people can't write "Hello World" in a given language unless you specifically lead them.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Finished proof reading and editing it for flow and sent it in. I probably wasted a good hour or so that will amount to nothing but it's better than :effort: right?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Warszawa posted:

Leaving aside the persuasiveness of the data based on stuff like samples, etc., I think it's much more that legal politics and ideology have influenced partisan politics, not the other way around.

That said, judges have always been biased as hell, it's just that until the last seventy years or so their biases have been the same on the issues that intuitively touch upon facets of people's lives.

Also, as I said earlier in the thread, politics have become more ossified into a strict left/right divide and judges have done the same. It's not like past courts didn't have their own blocs, but the party-predictive value was less useful because you had the judicial equivalents of Rockefeller Republicans and Dixiecrats on the bench still.

That said, there is no such thing as unbiased judging and anyone who thinks there is (not you, I respect your crit credentials) is wrong. There is only ever politics and policy; adjudication is nothing but bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

They really should be though. This country is very heavily armed, and has easy access to a variety of volitile chemicals. The homegrown terror that kind of mass unemployment would cause could make the entirety of middle eastern terrorism look like disneyland by comparison. At present, the elite don't hide in fortified bunkers to escape the masses. That would have to change, if they expect to get away with it.

Seriously though, why would you want to turn the country into the kind of stratified hellscape of the third world? It seems like it'd be much more comfortable to just be rich somewhere the people don't want to kill you if they get a chance.

It's slightly more profitable in the short term to destroy America, and the PMCs you hire to guard your compound will have more practice time in with their M4s than Jobless Joe Sixpack. Revolt ain't happening, and outbursts of murder and spree killing won't affect the wealthy. Or:

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Now that I think about it they probably shouldn't be scared. Unorganized mobs of people are more dangerous to each other than elites.

• Locked thread