Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sushibandit posted:

You can get 3 copies of Lightning Spear, 3 copies of Great Lightning Spear, Sunlight Spear, 3 copies of Emit Force, and varying quantities of the chime based hexes in NG before even beating the final boss. You get infinite copies of Lightning Spear & Emit Force after beating the final boss.

If you pair those with reasonable ATT and some "+casts of attuned spells" and "+attunement slots" gear/rings, it's entirely viable to be a "pure FAI caster" given how prevalent spell refill consumables and how close bonfires are to just about everywhere.

I'm only using a lightning infused barbed club on my FAI caster to break up "everything gets zapped to cinders". You've got more then enough casts to kill all the trash and still finish off the area boss, usually without needing to use any consumables.

Cool. I'll respec to this once I've picked up a few more spells. The huge amount of sorceries is useful.

Edit: drat, seems like bonfire ascetics are fairly rare for where I am in game still. Was hoping to use one and beat Freja, Skeleton lords and Najka for their items/soul. Would I be making a big mistake trying them at SL 111 with a +10 archdrake staff/chime?

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

skasion posted:

They do look vaguely like Chasm of the Abyss which is, after all, what they're apparently supposed to be according to Grandahl.

I guess, maybe. It's probably the weird over-bright washed out effect that seems to permeate the game, but to me they just looked like bland gray caves. Chasm of the abyss might have been exactly the same, but maybe it looked different since DS1 didn't have its brightness knob locked on overkill. :shrug:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The Abyss had those little stalagmites, the Chasm has 'em. That's about the only direct connection I could find.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You will never be able to play through the game without picking up a weapon and hitting things but yes, you can do fine with 50 FTH/50 ATN and 12 STR (basically, you use a lightning mace or regular mace on most things and save the GLS/Sunlight Spears for the big stuff).

Oh yes you can. Lightning spear is an infinite buy pretty early and shreds everything in pve. Eventually you'll end up with your first 5 slots being homeward, sunlight spear and 3x GLS and will rarely need more attack spells, but you can easily slot some LS or Emit Force if you need to.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Being a secret red phantom in undead crypt is great. Get summoned as a shade, get to the pit/boss hall and DING DONG DING DONG.

Actually had a guy on the mic scream "BRUTUS" as he was murdered by pillars of fire and magic spears. :unsmith:

e: just realized this would be a million times better if I shaded as Pate.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 13, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Hurf durf, I thought for the longest time that my multiplayer wasn't working since I was in the blue cops and wearing my blue ring and I didn't get to go all :black101: on sinners.

It's the grey ring not the blue ring you retard!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dis astranagant posted:

Oh yes you can. Lightning spear is an infinite buy pretty early and shreds everything in pve. Eventually you'll end up with your first 5 slots being homeward, sunlight spear and 3x GLS and will rarely need more attack spells, but you can easily slot some LS or Emit Force if you need to.

Who the hell wastes a slot on homeward :confused:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

People without a feather!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah you get more bones than you could ever use and then towards the end of the game you get an infinite use bone that transfers to NG+.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Jose posted:

Edit: drat, seems like bonfire ascetics are fairly rare for where I am in game still.

If you're comfortable with your damage output and have the Ashen Mist Heart, you can aescetic the giant memories and get 2 aescetics back (net gain of 1) per run, along with ~300k liquid souls (only killing the giant king), 2+ twinkling titanite, spice, a few great hero souls, and assorted other consumables if you run through all three memories each time you burn.

It's a great way to farm up millions of souls while staying in NG if you wanted to for some reason.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

So I finally completed the game.

By accident.

And I first timed the end boss.

Just as the game was starting to feel a little more like Dark Souls as opposed to Knights Corridor Yawnfest, BAM game over. I have no idea why I won, what I won, why I care. When I finished Dark Souls. I watched the credits, and I instantly rolled a new characters because I felt I had so much more to get out of the world. This time all I felt was enui and cheated. I wouldn't shut up for ages about when I learned about the fate of Solaire or the first time I went into Anor Londo.

I don't even remember any of the NPCs names in Dark Souls 2. Here's hoping that this "Project Beast" that Miyazaki has supposedly been working on is something a little more elegant and a little less ham fisted.

What a shame :(

This sums it up pretty well
Spoilers Everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrgaZchJQVg

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 13, 2014

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
So for a puny Sorcerer who has only put points into Attunement (32), Intelligence (40) and Faith (40), and absolutely nothing else, infusing my dagger with dark would be the best thing to do, right? Just wanted to make sure since I only have one of these stones at the moment and I keep hearing things about the scaling for infusions being weird to a point where I should forgo infusing things at all, except for my staffs (and speaking of staffs, if I infuse Dark in them, will that make it so that only Hexes will be powerful on that staff, while making normal sorceries weaker?).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is Rosabeth likely to be the character that resulted from that odd bit of concept art with the girl wearing puffy short pants that seemed out of character for a Souls game? She does seem to have a more upbeat personality than is usual, which was the impression the art gave as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Is Rosabeth likely to be the character that resulted from that odd bit of concept art with the girl wearing puffy short pants that seemed out of character for a Souls game? She does seem to have a more upbeat personality than is usual, which was the impression the art gave as well.

Well she didn't seem very jolly to me. More like a vulcan or something just flat and stern.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well she didn't seem very jolly to me. More like a vulcan or something just flat and stern.

I think you're confusing her for another NPC.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

She's easily my favorite character.

I like happy friendly characters :)

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FutureCop posted:

So for a puny Sorcerer who has only put points into Attunement (32), Intelligence (40) and Faith (40), and absolutely nothing else, infusing my dagger with dark would be the best thing to do, right? Just wanted to make sure since I only have one of these stones at the moment and I keep hearing things about the scaling for infusions being weird to a point where I should forgo infusing things at all, except for my staffs (and speaking of staffs, if I infuse Dark in them, will that make it so that only Hexes will be powerful on that staff, while making normal sorceries weaker?).

Pretty sure EC murdered me pretty well with a dark resonant dagger once. Dark infused staffs/chimes are a definite go, if you're using hexes. It does weaken magic/lightning damage, but that's kind of whatever if you're throwing around Greater Resonant Soul.

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009
New to the franchise here.

Would you recommend starting with the first game or this one? Can't decide what to buy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

aeverous posted:

Would you recommend starting with the first game or this one? Can't decide what to buy.

Um, I would play the first one first, just to get the experience and get the gameplay and lore callbacks. You can do it pretty quickly too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Dark Souls first. I would play it on PS3 or xbox unless you're really obsessed with fps.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

aeverous posted:

Play them all, in whatever order you like. Dark Souls 1 PC may lose it's online side soon, when Games for Windows Live dies, but it's a good game even without that. Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive, and apparently still has some people playing it. Dark Souls 2 is the newest thing, so is the most active online. All three have enough plusses and minuses relative to one another that which is "better" comes down to taste.

Also I guess there are a few references in Dark Souls 2 to plot elements and characters in Dark Souls 1, but nothing really important.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'd say DS2 should be a first because the series has made a lot of improvements in terms of accessibility, as well as convenient stuff like the warping/more forgiving drops etc. you can always see where it all started and reverse-get the references if you like DS2.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

aeverous posted:

I would recommend starting with Dark Souls 1 because it is cheap and if you find that you don't like the style of game you wouldn't have sunk as much into it. The gameplay is largely the same between the different games, and for some people it just doesn't click.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

flowinprose posted:

I would recommend starting with Dark Souls 1 because it is cheap and if you find that you don't like the style of game you wouldn't have sunk as much into it. The gameplay is largely the same between the different games, and for some people it just doesn't click.

I would agree with this. DS1 is fairly inexpensive now, while DS2 is brand new. If you hate DS1, you're not out much. If you like it, you can afford to price hunt DS2 while finishing the first game.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

10 ascetics later, my fashion souls is finally complete, and I've come to the conclusion that the Heide Knight Leggings are the rarest drat item in the game, took 5 ascetics alone to finally get the leggings, also Heide Knights are mother fuckers at NG+7 or so, they have the weirdest spazzy move-set.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Appoda posted:

I don't know if these are in high demand, but I have a guy with a channeler's trident who doesn't need it at the very beginning of the game. I can meet up at the forest river and drop it for someone if they really want it. Grabbed up! I have the Name Engraved Ring now, so I guess I can keep this character around as a go-between for those of you who want to transfer items to low level characters. SM is only 6000 or so, but extends to at least 39,999SM at the moment. I might go off and kill a few bosses just to expand the range.

In addition I should probably leave my Steam ID.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Appoda/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bobnumerotres posted:

You're thinking of her teacher, Carhillion of the Fold.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I guess, maybe. It's probably the weird over-bright washed out effect that seems to permeate the game, but to me they just looked like bland gray caves. Chasm of the abyss might have been exactly the same, but maybe it looked different since DS1 didn't have its brightness knob locked on overkill. :shrug:

More or less my reaction. It looked nothing like the Abyss at all, I thought they were just caves. Kind of lame, to say the least.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'd say DS2 should be a first because the series has made a lot of improvements in terms of accessibility, as well as convenient stuff like the warping/more forgiving drops etc. you can always see where it all started and reverse-get the references if you like DS2.

I find I need to play series in order of releases. Usually due to refinements in sequels that make it rougher to start back on the previous title.

As much as I enjoy DS2 it felt like two steps forward and then a step back.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Lalus posted:

I'm at the same tier as you and honestly the only thing you can do is learn how to fight them off. I wasted a shitton on time learning to pvp with the claymore/grand lance combo but you can just carry a bat staff and dark fog with you to gain the upper hand immediately. When I get invaded I ready affinty and take out the bat staff. As soon as you land a dark fog get in their face so they can't use the grass to heal it. If they aren't carrying any they'll panic and come after you which makes it even easier. The hardest thing to learn is timing rolling under GRS & Avelyns and maybe how to parry that cheesy Santier's Spear.

The most fun I had was learning how to defeat invaders and now I spend my time in the Blue Cops invading them. Its hilarious how they freeze the gently caress up when you invade and lots of them hide out at bonfires or spend 10 mins searching for summon signs. Sinners ain't so tough then!

I'm glad you posted this because I was about to post something substantially similar...invaders are not necessarily PVP superstars. They are usually just one-trick ponies. They can be beaten.

At that tier you can get really fast Bellboy summons...that's a great way to experience LOTS of PVP against all kinds of players and at no cost to you...plus you get CHUNKS.

I was having some trouble getting summoned for Belfry Sol last week, but everyone must have hit the game hard on PC over the last several days because this weekend I was Bellboying in front of Smelter Demon's gate, hoping to get summons there as well...I got yanked into Belfry Sol literally before I could even put my soapstone down after my last trip to the belfry. CONSTANT action at about 2M soul memory, and a great variety of players. I think I only managed to get summoned for Smelter Demon 4 times in like 20 hours of playing there. Oddly enough, there were really no casters on the belfry to speak of, and the few ones I did run into were pretty bad. It's certainly a lot more fun at higher tiers than it is at the lower tiers.

One particularly memorable fight was against a guy who melee'd with an estoc, I think, but I was never able to close on him into mace range. He mainly used a whip and shot arrows at me. I was chasing this guy for a good 6 minutes. He killed me with a jillion arrows after poisoning me four times with that whip.

Speaking of this, how the gently caress is it that people can run backwards at full speed as fast as you can run forward? It's crazy; never get off the roof as a Bellboy unless it's 2-on-1 or 2-on-2, otherwise you're just going to have 5 minutes of Benny Hill.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're thinking of her teacher, Carhillion of the Fold.

Whose voice actor reminds me of Jeffrey Combs every goddamn time, but it isn't.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

david... posted:

10 ascetics later, my fashion souls is finally complete, and I've come to the conclusion that the Heide Knight Leggings are the rarest drat item in the game, took 5 ascetics alone to finally get the leggings, also Heide Knights are mother fuckers at NG+7 or so, they have the weirdest spazzy move-set.

It took me like 15 to get the gauntlets. :smith:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It took me like 15 to get the gauntlets. :smith:

I lucked out and got the chest piece on my first try, then another one, and then the helmet, i think two swords and then gauntlets, and then a heartbreaking run of bad luck.

But it was all worth it to get to see one of those depressed motherfuckers sit on a throne.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Sweet. Durgo's Hat just dropped for me. It'll go well with my Hawk Ring and Sea Bow.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
What are the best weapons to power stance?

Fists are fun, though the range sucks. Swords have a fun double-slash on the L2...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there any way to edit a characters appearance post-creation?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Magus42 posted:

Fists are fun, though the range sucks. Swords have a fun double-slash on the L2...

Maces, the L2 will stunlock just about anything.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
I have a dumb question that may have been asked before:

Can I use an ascetic in the Undead Crypt and get another Darkdrift from Agdayne? Do I get another King's Key for that, or can I just use an ascetic and grab another Darkdrift since I already have the key? And no, I've never used an ascetic so I'm not sure exactly how it works. Also, I wanted to avoid killing him.

Spoilered just in case.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
What the hell is up with all these random fight clubs on the iron keep bridge? I just want to fight dudes but 7 out of 10 times I get summoned into a fightclub where I have to wait for 5 minutes for 2 other reds to finish honordueling.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

I MUST PROTECT THE CHAOS EMERALDS SOULS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there any way to edit a characters appearance post-creation?

Not aside from the gender swap coffin at the start sadly.

Magus42 posted:

Curved swords have a really fun move set and good range.