Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
I've got a pretty damaged incused-indian half eagle I got years ago.

Its probably worth its weight in gold, and nothing else. Theres some damage by the date.

I'd like to get it slabbed, but not necessarily graded. Should I just buy a single slab, or send it someplace for grading and press my luck?

I've also got a great quarter eagle someone tried to turn into jewelry. That one just hurts to look at with its soldered on loops...
http://i.imgur.com/jOA7SQq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RNiqwFd.jpg

Gambit32 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
assuming it's genuine it would just come back "bodybagged" as it's damaged and say "VF details" (or whatever it grades, I do not know how to grade gold coins)

just put it in some sort of holder and enjoy it

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

Al Harrington posted:

just put it in some sort of holder and enjoy it

I think you've got a good idea. Why pay $80 to get it bodybagged, when I can go to littleton and pay $10 total for a nice display slab

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Silver just dipped into the $18's. Buy! Buy! Buy!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
How rare/expensive is something like either the first minted post independence American coins or the first American paper notes worth today?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

How rare/expensive is something like either the first minted post independence American coins or the first American paper notes worth today?

the coins are rare and expensive as gently caress

the paper money is available and there are some rare issues but as a whole they are not rare at all and affordable

you have to remember that pre say federal reserve (1913) people considered coin money and paper just a receipt to get coin, so during the revolution they just inflated the poo poo out of the currency coming from the Continental Congress as well as the individual colonies, virginia was one of the worst offenders, issuing crazy denominations from $500-$2,000 on thin lovely rice paper in 1781, then they paid the patriots with this crap that was devalued as soon as it left the press

coin was horded so much during the civil war that they had to produce fractional paper money that initially looked stamp like and later more like currency, they issued these well into the 1870s

I was a oval office hair away from buying a 1795 flowing hair silver dollar in a problem free PCGS Good 4 for $2,000 just yesterday

I could find you post independence currency for $100

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 1, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Silver just dipped into the $18's. Buy! Buy! Buy!

I still think it's high. I see it going under 10 dollars once the economy straightens it's poo poo out in a few more years. I don't think we'll get back to $4/oz silver ever again, but 18 is still way too high for me.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I still think it's high. I see it going under 10 dollars once the economy straightens it's poo poo out in a few more years. I don't think we'll get back to $4/oz silver ever again, but 18 is still way too high for me.

Hahahahahaha, good one dude!

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

if the republican led congress goes the gently caress away it will straighten out

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Silvertowne has a one-day eBay deal - 20 silver eagles for $456 shipped, which settles out to a little less than $23 per.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Ron Don Volante posted:

Silvertowne has a one-day eBay deal - 20 silver eagles for $456 shipped, which settles out to a little less than $23 per.

Someone was trying to sell 80 ASEs on craigslist this week for 20 bucks a piece. They've been going for 20-23 each at our local coin auctions. It's crazy seeing how many are coming out of the woodwork now that silver prices have dropped. I didn't see nearly this many for sale a year ago. Here's to hoping the price continues to drop.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I also think that 10 dollars an ounce is not out of the question. 18 is likely not the bottom.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sharp spike in all PMs today.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

since we're kind of doing show and tell in this thread, here's something cool:

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
Is that a half dollar or dollar?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

dollar

I have a half coming same date that NGC called repaired but missed that its actually a cool variety where STATES was originally engraved STETES and theres an obvious A over an E

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Nice coin! Did you crack that out of a slab? You're probably aware of this, but raw early dollars are huge red flags.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

raw from a dealer friend, there's an old old repair plug between the 5 and star, rarer 2 leaves variety

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

One of my favorite coins is a damaged coin somebody decided to try out their leatherworking skills on:

I also have a 1/10 ounce liberty walker reproduction because why not.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Got this baby in the mail today finally.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

that's pretty funny

these are dollar sized silver rounds right?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Zombucks are 39mm.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

How do y'all ship coins that you're selling? I just sold a Canadian large cent on eBay and got hit on shipping. Didn't think a tiny padded envelope would cost $2.32, but I guess USPS considers padded envelopes a "package" even though it was a 3x5" envelope that weighs less than an ounce. :argh: Is it acceptable to mail coins in regular envelopes as long as they're in cardboard holders, so I can charge letter rate vs package rate?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

How do y'all ship coins that you're selling? I just sold a Canadian large cent on eBay and got hit on shipping. Didn't think a tiny padded envelope would cost $2.32, but I guess USPS considers padded envelopes a "package" even though it was a 3x5" envelope that weighs less than an ounce. :argh: Is it acceptable to mail coins in regular envelopes as long as they're in cardboard holders, so I can charge letter rate vs package rate?

If you pay for shipping on eBay and print the label on eBay, that 2.32 is around 1.90 and you get tracking. So if you have a printer at home, it's definitely worth it to use eBay shipping.

For lower value coins (<$50 dollars), I'll just use regular envelopes and not a padded envelope. I put the coin in a plastic or cardboard 2x2 and then cover it on both sides with card stock or cardboard of some type. That's always enough to protect the coin unless it straight-up gets crushed by something. If you are willing to spend more than 5 cents on cardboard, then Safety Mailers (a piece of cardboard with special adhesive that you wrap around the coin) are a great option. A lot of dealers and auction houses use them. You have to sell coins frequently, since I think you have to buy them in quantity. They run about 25 cents each. You can put a coin in those, and then put it in a normal envelope. It's completely protected. With the normal envelope option you pay a for a first class stamp and a 20 cent surcharge (68 cents?) because the cardboard makes it rigid and you don't want it to go through the mail sorting machine. If it's >1 oz, then you need to add another 20 cents, so it's 88 cents, or first class stamp plus 40 cents. If you factor in supplies and postage, the regular envelop option costs anywhere from 75 cents to 1.25. A fair bit cheaper, but you don't get tracking.

I've seen about every shipping permutation imaginable from buying on eBay. I think padded mailers make people feel good, but they aren't required to protect a coin during mailing. Generally speaking, the heavier the coin is the more padding/protection it requires.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

lots of awesome info

Thank you! I have a collection that I'm trying to sell off, and this will be very handy. :tipshat:

(On that note, if anyone is big into non-US coins or exonumia, I got that in spades for sale. And I really need gas money to go see my dying mom 500 miles away (I swear to :toxx:, I am not making that part up; I will post the gas station and hospital parking receipts from VA and NY if need be), so if there's anything y'all itt are hunting for, please PM me)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Do you have a list of stuff? Make an SA Mart thread.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

are any of the non US coins pre say 1700?

and to ship coins I do the same thing as when I'm shipping paper money, the item is in a mylar or a flip, the flip I'll wrap in the packing slip so it doesn't come out, and then I put the item in between two piece of cardboard (I cut up cardboard boxes I get stuff in, well actually the GF does because she doesn't like the boxes sitting around), tape those together and then put that into a padded mailer (they're probably 4x8 or so), I bought those in bulk, a huge box of them off of amazon that has lasted me a couple of years already, and then a piece of reinforced shipping tape across the flap, in my opinion it's overkill, but the thing weighs 3-4oz with a single item and costs all of like 2 bucks to ship tracked through ebay

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 12, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Al Harrington posted:

are any of the non US coins pre say 1700?

Nah, they're pre-WWII, a few 19th century, for the most part. My crown jewel, so to speak, is this gold Ottoman Empire coin from 1865, like this fella:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkey-Otto...=item233954344f

Am I better off trying to sell something like this on eBay, or a local dealer? I can't afford to get it graded, the whole point of me selling it off is to get :20bux: x n to fill my Kia's tank.

quote:

and to ship coins I do [advice]

I thank you as well for the shipping advice!

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Nah, they're pre-WWII, a few 19th century, for the most part. My crown jewel, so to speak, is this gold Ottoman Empire coin from 1865, like this fella:

Am I better off trying to sell something like this on eBay, or a local dealer? I can't afford to get it graded, the whole point of me selling it off is to get :20bux: x n to fill my Kia's tank.

Well, I would look at ebay completed auctions and look at green numeral items that actually sold and figure out what you could realistically get and then figure eating 13%

also, for all those "best offer" things, use this http://www.watchcount.com/
it will show you what it actually sold for, I don't know why ebay doesn't just show it

a coin dealer is going to offer your 50-60% of what it will bring, that said if you don't want to worry about dealing with the public well then maybe the quick money is worth it to you

*edit* forgot we were talking about all world material, yea ebay that poo poo, no one near you is going to pay anything

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 13, 2014

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

As a world coin collector, I can say that all of the local dealers around me pay very little for world coins compared to what I could get for selling it on eBay with a good item description and pictures. Almost all local dealers would give you around the gold value for the 100 Kurush gold coin (275 bucks, maybe less), and they appear to be going for at least that much on eBay once you subtract the fees. It takes a little more effort and time to list it on eBay, but for me it has enough financial upside to make it worth it.

However, be careful with your start prices when selling world coins on eBay. Many world coins are obscure by most american collector standards and may only get 1 or 2 bidders. In that case your coin may only sell for you start price. So pick starting prices carefully.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks guys! Also, I sometimes totally forget about SA-Mart :doh:, thanks for the reminder the. Scanning more stuff and working on that post now.

Here's a nifty oddity. Tl;dr is, commemorative coin, plated in Alaska gold, acceptable as currency only in Alaska until 12 noon Thursday, Dec 31st 1959.

Click for massive:

So, would one consider that exonumia, even if it was accepted as legal tender for some time?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Exonumia>Tokens: US Trade

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Thanks guys! Also, I sometimes totally forget about SA-Mart :doh:, thanks for the reminder the. Scanning more stuff and working on that post now.

Here's a nifty oddity. Tl;dr is, commemorative coin, plated in Alaska gold, acceptable as currency only in Alaska until 12 noon Thursday, Dec 31st 1959.

Click for massive:

So, would one consider that exonumia, even if it was accepted as legal tender for some time?

Gotta say, this is one of the cooler gimmick coins. How did you find it?

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..
Welp, another coin noob checking in who just got a couple boxes from a dead relative. I used the coinflation site and know what some of this stuff would be worth in silver content, but does anyone have a good method to figure out if I have anything worth more than melting values? He has these little mini books that have nothing but quarters, dimes, pennies etc and they all look pretty well circulated. Do I just have to look at each coin and see where it was minted one by one via auction sites and see if I stumble upon anything that happens to be more rare?

The books I'm looking at:

Roosevelt Dime - Collection starting 1946
Quarter Album - From 1932
Mercury Dimes - 1916-1945
General Cents - Starting from 1935
Another Washington Quarter Album from 1932

Would you guys all assume that what I have here is basically just worth their weight in silver or should I take any pictures and share with the group?

There's a couple other boxes, a lot of these little mini envelopes that have one of every coin from a certain year, starting after when they stopped using silver.

If I stumble across anything else, I'll let you guys know. I believe there's a few of those liberty dollars floating around. Ya I have no idea what I'm talking about. Coin collecting seems like a fun hobby but christ I bet you guys spend a lot...

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

Would you also recommend not blowing money on buying the Whitman red and blue books? Prices change too quickly for these to be useful.

eBay and real-life auctions are a better idea on price, and some of the periodicals for sure.

I only have some of these books (okay, yes i own blue/red, and photograde) because they look nice on the shelf.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

The premium on the Mercs will be a little higher than the Rosies. Let me know if you are going to sell any of them.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

El Duderino posted:

Welp, another coin noob checking in who just got a couple boxes from a dead relative. I used the coinflation site and know what some of this stuff would be worth in silver content, but does anyone have a good method to figure out if I have anything worth more than melting values? He has these little mini books that have nothing but quarters, dimes, pennies etc and they all look pretty well circulated. Do I just have to look at each coin and see where it was minted one by one via auction sites and see if I stumble upon anything that happens to be more rare?

The books I'm looking at:

Roosevelt Dime - Collection starting 1946
Quarter Album - From 1932
Mercury Dimes - 1916-1945
General Cents - Starting from 1935
Another Washington Quarter Album from 1932

Would you guys all assume that what I have here is basically just worth their weight in silver or should I take any pictures and share with the group?

There's a couple other boxes, a lot of these little mini envelopes that have one of every coin from a certain year, starting after when they stopped using silver.

If I stumble across anything else, I'll let you guys know. I believe there's a few of those liberty dollars floating around. Ya I have no idea what I'm talking about. Coin collecting seems like a fun hobby but christ I bet you guys spend a lot...

The Red Book is a good resource for determining the relative scarcity (though not necessarily the value) of coins. But I can give you a basic idea of the key dates for those series right now:
Washington quarters: 1932-D, 1932-S are the big daddies. 1937-S, 1937-D, 1938, 1938-S are worth a bit more than the average quarter.
Mercury dimes: 1916-D ($400+ in any condition), 1921, 1921-D
Lincoln cents: no real non-variety key dates after 1935
Roosevelt dimes: no real key dates

The beauty of coin collecting is that you can spend as much or as little on it as you like, and still end up with a personally-meaningful collection. And unlikely many other collecting hobbies, you won't lose a ton of money if you eventually choose to sell off your collection (** assuming you don't buy a bunch of crap from Littleton or a QVC special).

Gambit32 posted:

Would you also recommend not blowing money on buying the Whitman red and blue books? Prices change too quickly for these to be useful.

eBay and real-life auctions are a better idea on price, and some of the periodicals for sure.

I only have some of these books (okay, yes i own blue/red, and photograde) because they look nice on the shelf.

The Red/Blue books aren't great value guides, no, but they do have a ton of other useful info. I use my Red Book a lot as a quick reference for relative scarcity and mintages. For values, I rely on eBay sold listings most heavily. The Greysheet can also be useful if you're a serious collector.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

I wanted to share this: Amazon is opening a shop for coin collectors.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/28/amazon-collectible-coins-store/?ncid=rss_truncated

With the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins going on sale, i thought this might interest people

BTW: never tell the government you just "found" gold coins. "Oh, those were from a bank robbery in the 1800s. give them back"

http://www.coinnews.net/2014/05/27/saddle-ridge-hoard-gold-coins-go-on-sale/

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

very interesting, could give ebay a run for its money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

We'll see what their prices are like. When POS was $20/oz my LCS was selling ASE's for $25. While eBay was selling them for about $27 because of all the fees.

• Locked thread