Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They've been committed to this whole "Cell is gonna be really creepy" since the end of episode 40, so it's pretty great to start getting the payoff. :allears:

I couldn't help but laugh out loud at Popo's response to Kami leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I get the feeling that Perfect Cell is going to end up feeling a lot like Freeza, which is fine because that's about how it was in the original, but I think starting off with super-creepy Cell like this to put some distance between Perfect Cell and Freeza is a great way to keep people from accusing them of only being able to write villains one way.

That said, if I'm wrong on their Perfect Cell I'll be delighted. Just not sure where else they could take him.

They could go for a middle ground between the two. Haughty, full-of-himself, cruel and sadistic but with a tad creepier bent. Or just mimic the series and mix the personality traits of his "dads". Freeza's snarky politeness, Vegeta's arrogance, Piccolo's smarts, and Goku's more laid-back approach to fighting.

...actually, if they DO do that, but go with the Abridged personalities, poo poo could get kinda creepy really fast. Just mixing any part of Abridged Goku's personality with those others could lead to... really unnerving results.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god dammit, it won't load for me.

Might be because I checked this at work, but still. I have a break just long enough and it not loading is just sad.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Gohan's desire to be a kid detective was awesome. I also love Trunks' line "I'm glad someone's having fun with this."

Cell was... wow, he was loving creepy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

I just want to see how they handle the second form.
Posh British :colbert:

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
You know Cell being creepy along with that childhood nightmare inducing death really has reminded me just how graphic DBZ could get, I mean Buu freaking turned into sludge and shoved himself down some guy's throat to the point the dude exploded, and lets hope they don't make cell creepy when it get's to the vore part.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zedd posted:

Posh British :colbert:

I kind of hope its the same personality as Namek Vegeta: Singleminded focus on his goal, trash talker extraordinaire otherwise.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SirDrone posted:

and lets hope they make cell creepy when it get's to the vore part.

I'll forward this message to them. :unsmigghh:

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
The episode becomes a little funnier when you realize that Cell is loving high as gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Piccolo, you drove a car. How was that?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SirDrone posted:

You know Cell being creepy along with that childhood nightmare inducing death really has reminded me just how graphic DBZ could get, I mean Buu freaking turned into sludge and shoved himself down some guy's throat to the point the dude exploded, and lets hope they don't make cell creepy when it get's to the vore part.
I feel like that probably won't happen? More specifically, this version of Cell is grotesque, has a really disgusting way of eating people, turns the entire town into an eerie ghost town, and in general has a really creepy tone. It'd be hard to make this part specifically funny, and it's better that they've focused on the horror. By the time we get to absorbing Androids, he has stopped eating people and instead uses that tail to make a massive cartoon plunger which comically eats the android whole. He then looks absolutely stupid, and the only potentially creepy part left is the unnerving absorbing 18 scene.

In general, I imagine we're going for more ham once Cell transitions from being legitimately nightmarish to whatever his second form is. And his third form's stubby tail, and sudden human face.

Also, I've been trying to identify what might be the joke behind singing Mr. Sandman. It's really hard because the song's been sung by every musician and their mother and it's impossible to identify who or what they could possibly have been going for, it's all a mass of different personalities. I hope that in itself was the joke. Y'know, besides just sounding creepy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That entire fusing segment being serious is gonna lead to a joke where Piccolo is completely useless whenever they get past 17, huh?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not a laugh-out-loud funny episode, but Detective Gohan was all kinds of :3: and I am psyched as hell for Cell to start being a thing - I've been waiting for his face off with piccolo for a while.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Takahata's Cell is really, really good.

Like, DBZA has generally been A+ on the voices but I can't imagine a better rendition of pre-android Cell.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I kind of wished they spend more time on

YES YES YES YOU CAN DO THIS!
:fuckin'narutosay:

But yeah, echoing the love for DBZA Cell

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm pumped that they've finally gotten to Cell. The Androids \ Cell saga was always my favorite part of DBZ.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Esroc posted:

-Arlia
    -Princess Snake
    -Fake Namek
    -Extended Body-switch sub-arc
    -Bulma/Ginyu body-switch
    -Dende getting weird with Gohan before leaving for New Namek
    -Everything involving the Garlic Jr. Saga, especially Maron
    -King Cold being a pussy (he was more regal and badass in the manga)
    -Constant cuts to Goku lying in bed after his heart attack
    -Krillin's Destructo Disc failing against Cell
    -Everyone helping in the beam struggle against Cell (it had more narrative impact when it was only Vegeta)
    -Everything involving Videl trying to unmask Saiyaman
    -Dabura being weird in the afterlife

I kind like the "fake Namek" it had a little of the adventure flavor that Z was lacking. The first time I watched Z I didn't know it was a filler episode.

Regarding the Saiyans race, they didn't seen to be a Race that trained to get stronger. They always seen, to me, a proud race of their natural "power level" and just go straight brawling sometimes get a little stronger in the process.
Goku was a game changer, to Vegeta at least. I think Vegeta never actually trained prior meeting Goku, he was always "I'm the prince of Saiyans... The most powerful Sayan... I'm naturally stronger... wada wada...", Goku that actually introduce him the ideia to train to get more powerful.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Captain Quack posted:

I kind like the "fake Namek" it had a little of the adventure flavor that Z was lacking. The first time I watched Z I didn't know it was a filler episode.

Regarding the Saiyans race, they didn't seen to be a Race that trained to get stronger. They always seen, to me, a proud race of their natural "power level" and just go straight brawling sometimes get a little stronger in the process.
Goku was a game changer, to Vegeta at least. I think Vegeta never actually trained prior meeting Goku, he was always "I'm the prince of Saiyans... The most powerful Sayan... I'm naturally stronger... wada wada...", Goku that actually introduce him the ideia to train to get more powerful.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Frieza and most of his minions were all mutants who were born with abnormally high power levels...they never really had to train to gain more strength as they were just born super powerful.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm just happy they mentioned the King. :allears:

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I thought I remember a scene where vegeta was young practicing against a bunch of saibamen. So I am not sure that is true about them never training.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Prison Warden posted:

I'm just happy they mentioned the King. :allears:

King Dog is a reference to the King Piccolo saga, right?

Caros
May 14, 2008

VanSandman posted:

King Dog is a reference to the King Piccolo saga, right?

King Dog even appears during the Cell Saga actually, though I'm not sure if that is just for filler.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vire posted:

I thought I remember a scene where vegeta was young practicing against a bunch of saibamen. So I am not sure that is true about them never training.

Yeah, but that was (probably) filler, and even if it wasn't the training just consisted of him blowing them away in 0.2 seconds. That's not really training.

Caros posted:

King Dog even appears during the Cell Saga actually, though I'm not sure if that is just for filler.

He recognizes Goku but decides it can't be him because of the blonde hair.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Caros posted:

It's not filler. He recognizes Goku and also sends a military attack against Cell before the Cell Games, which leads to the return of Dende

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vire posted:

I think there's a scene like that in Bardock: The Father of Goku.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

which leads to the return of Dende

This is what I'm looking forward to. Any Gohan/Dende interaction after his last appearance.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Medium Green. :smug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vire posted:

He presumably practiced his moves and did the occasional push-up but there's training in the sense of keeping your established skills sharp and Training in the sense of wearing a giant stupid turtle shell and doing handstands in a gravity room. I think when they hear Vegeta beat Kui or whoever that first guy he blew up was, they're like "Eh well, what do you expect, Vegeta's been working for a living and Kui's been loafing."

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
People judge DBZA episodes for the laughs, but I think at this point we can safely say that this adaptation is just a superior one to the original, rather than an intentionally funny one. At least, that's how it is to me. There was far more exposition between Piccolo/Kami than in the original.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The news segments were loving spot on when making fun of American news channels. Both the marijuana and "I know this may come across as racist but..." poo poo could likely be direct rips from FOX news segments.

Caros
May 14, 2008

dipwood posted:

People judge DBZA episodes for the laughs, but I think at this point we can safely say that this adaptation is just a superior one to the original, rather than an intentionally funny one. At least, that's how it is to me. There was far more exposition between Piccolo/Kami than in the original.

I had the same thought. In a lot of ways DBZA is now very much just an 'abridged' series. You get the whole plot of the series, a little bit of the fighting through the lens of a slightly more comedic take. Not every scene needs to have a joke, and that is no more clear than the introduction of cell which was straight up disturbing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Caros posted:

I had the same thought. In a lot of ways DBZA is now very much just an 'abridged' series. You get the whole plot of the series, a little bit of the fighting through the lens of a slightly more comedic take. Not every scene needs to have a joke, and that is no more clear than the introduction of cell which was straight up disturbing.

Was kind of skeptic when he began doing the sandman thing, but man that wind down.
He got sinister fast.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've watched the new episode twice now, no belly laughs but it had some decent jokes. It's still a parody, just a very tasteful, loyal to the subject matter parody

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think it's kind of funny this episode had more of Kami and Roshi, who must have had like 4 voices and kind of different characterizations by the DBZA guys since they started. I like what they both settled on for them though.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
They're getting into a part of the series that's kind of hard to make "funny" compared with previous arcs. Overall I like the way they've handled everything, though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
First form Cell is easily my favorite DBZ villain. Yeah he isn't the most powerful, but where Frieza just runs off pure power to be an intimidating villain Cell has this overwhelming feeling of dread. He's slowly making his way across the country and when he comes to your town he's gonna eat you and your parents. It's just more personal than Frieza's modus operandi of blowing up the whole planet in one fell swoop. I know it wouldn't have been possible in the story but if he just played off that the whole time I would've loved it.

Second form Cell kind of reminds me of Doomguy so I hope they go with that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Second form of Cell reminds me of a really dumb teenager.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

crankdatbatman posted:

I've watched the new episode twice now, no belly laughs but it had some decent jokes. It's still a parody, just a very tasteful, loyal to the subject matter parody

This is the key thing that all the other Abridged parodies, including Yu-Gi-Oh, the one that started this whole nutty trend, just seem to lack: a genuine unabashed affection for the source material. All the others Abridged serieses I've watched are too busy shittalking the thing that's responsible for their existence that they forget to actually be entertaining.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged started off fine, but it got full of itself right after Marik motorcycled in and never really got its head out of its rear end.

Last episode I remember watching was one where Kaiba goes off on a rant to most of the supporting cast in a scene that was probably supposed to be funny but ended up being really really awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

VJeff posted:

This is the key thing that all the other Abridged parodies, including Yu-Gi-Oh, the one that started this whole nutty trend, just seem to lack: a genuine unabashed affection for the source material. All the others Abridged serieses I've watched are too busy shittalking the thing that's responsible for their existence that they forget to actually be entertaining.

That's the big problem I have with the entire "Abridged" series thing. Everyone's so focused on cranking them out so they can get views and by getting views, they get that sweet, sweet ad revenue. The main reason Yu Gi Oh and DBZ work is that it's been long enough that people can be nostalgic about the series. You can't be nostalgic and go "Boy I remember back in the day when Attack on Titan did some crazy stuff" when "back in the day" was about 4 weeks after the episode aired.

• Locked thread