Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's the only episode on the schedule all week so I'd imagine it's a repeat.

That's a bummer because it's the least interesting one so far. I want to see The Mega Powers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tonight's Countdown is the 10 Wildest Ladder Matches. Should be good.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

projecthalaxy posted:

Looking forward to them showing the 10 matches before the countdown even starts

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Better include Taker vs Jeff Hardy!

Guess it might not have been the "wildest" but drat it was awesome.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Lawler is apparently straightening out the Memphis library in order to sell it to WWE. Can't wait to not see it on the network!

Beaverseatwood2
Feb 23, 2014

Mob posted:

I'm a real big fan of the non-Flair Legends of Wrestling roundtables but I've never watched any of these early ones that just concentrate on two older stars. I'll probably start with the Lawler/JYD one since it seems the most personally interesting, though I'm sure the Piper one has a ton of poo poo worth seeing.

They span like 5 years I want them to upload all of them so I can binge watch

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Trying to watch the Flair/Steamboat 5-star matches, but neither Clash 6 or Chi-Town Rumble have milestones :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cromulent posted:

Lawler is apparently straightening out the Memphis library in order to sell it to WWE. Can't wait to not see it on the network!

I thought all the early masters were wiped and only available as third-generation VHS copies and the later masters were owned by 5 different people and were a clusterfuck of rights.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

DudeDeuce posted:

So what the hell is Wrestlemania Rewind tonight? Preview last week said Hogan vs Savage from WM5 but schedule says Triple H vs Jericho, which I think they already showed. I remember that episode was 90% HHH return, 10% HHH-Jericho feud.

Funny enough, that's actually how the feud went in real time as well!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Can't wait for the top 3 to just be Dudleys/Hardys/E&C matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought all the early masters were wiped and only available as third-generation VHS copies and the later masters were owned by 5 different people and were a clusterfuck of rights.

Some of the original tapes exist and Jim Cornette has a decent amount of post VCR stuff on VHS in decent quality. No clue if they'd use that. The rights situation has been getting worked out in recent years, and Lawler has been talking as if it is almost a done deal. I'd guess recent deaths of some of the claimants has made the situation a bit more clear cut.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If you are an Xbox One or Xbox 360 user, helpful and useful info:

quote:

"Coming in June, all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners will get access to popular entertainment apps, like Netflix, YouTube, Machinima, and more on Xbox without needing an Xbox Live Gold membership*. This means that everyone can enjoy the amazing gaming, TV and entertainment experiences that Xbox has to offer, right out of the box."

I assume that will include WWE Network.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Daniel Bryan posted:

If you are an Xbox One or Xbox 360 user, helpful and useful info:

I assume that will include WWE Network.

I love that apparently "using apps" is a special feature on Microsoft systems.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Deadpool posted:

I love that apparently "using apps" is a special feature on Microsoft systems.

Eh it originates from a time when microsoft was literally the only place with Netflix, followed by HBO Go, followed by WatchESPN.

It made a lot more sense when they had some level of exclusivity.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MJBuddy posted:

Eh it originates from a time when microsoft was literally the only place with Netflix, followed by HBO Go, followed by WatchESPN.

It made a lot more sense when they had some level of exclusivity.

Paying to use a service I have to pay for? No, that never made sense. I mean from a company stand point of "Can't wait to wring ALL the dollars, totally.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Onmi posted:

Paying to use a service I have to pay for? No, that never made sense. I mean from a company stand point of "Can't wait to wring ALL the dollars, totally.

God paying for internet to use Netflix?

Stop being dense

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

Stop being dense

netflix being behind x-box live's paywall is incredibly stupid, though. It's been stupid for years, and especially stupid when every competing service ever doesn't have that restriction.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MJBuddy posted:

Stop being dense

You paid like 400 bucks for an x box, you're paying probably 80 bucks for Internet, and 8 bucks a month for Netflix.and I'm expected to pay extra so that I can go online with my system and use an app I pay for?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

You paid like 400 bucks for an x box, you're paying probably 80 bucks for Internet, and 8 bucks a month for Netflix.and I'm expected to pay extra so that I can go online with my system and use an app I pay for?

Netflix is everywhere now. You almost cannot buy a TV peripheral (or even some TVs) that don't have Netflix access. You can probably buy a dishwasher that has Netflix access on it somewhere. The fact it took Microsoft apparently just realized/stopped fighting internally about how it hasn't been a selling point for Gold for many years looks really bad.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

oatgan posted:

netflix being behind x-box live's paywall is incredibly stupid, though. It's been stupid for years, and especially stupid when every competing service ever doesn't have that restriction.

That's what I said. When you can buy a 35 dollar dongle and get the same products, it's dumb. When you can't, it's not. You can now, and Microsoft originally used that Xbox live fee to pay for exclusivity/front the money for Netflix to develop those apps. It had a place, but post-2010 I didn't get it.

Granted, I had my Live account to play games, so I just had it, but I wouldn't pay for just it, and didn't consider it a value proposition. I'd say in a post-Roku world it's absurd, but really even Roku didn't have HBO Go and WatchESPN, so it's not quite 1:1.

The_Rob posted:

You paid money for a TV too. And a house. And a couch to sit on. This argument is stupid because you can literally extend it to "I lived for 26 years and now you expect me to pay [anything] for [anything]!?!?!"

It's a false dichotomy. You're attempting to point at the contrast of a one thing to another when the correct logic is "Is this worth X?" which at one point the pay wall on Xbox Live was absolutely worth it. It's not anymore, for the reasons Nut Bunnies listed. But it was, at a point, absolutely worth it, and if that angered you, I suggest introspection on the nature of value over banging your fist about greed.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I stopped using my Xbox period after I let my gold lapse. Now that I can use the entertainment apps, I might hook it back up and who knows, I might even buy a game!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Canada was late to the Netflix party and you could get it on nearly any device at launch here but how long was Netflix streaming exclusive to Xbox Live? You couldn't get it on a computer, even?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Canada was late to the Netflix party and you could get it on nearly any device at launch here but how long was Netflix streaming exclusive to Xbox Live?

Never

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So is he straight-up lying or what?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Canada was late to the Netflix party and you could get it on nearly any device at launch here but how long was Netflix streaming exclusive to Xbox Live? You couldn't get it on a computer, even?

You could stream on a computer or using a Roku box that capped out at SD. Xbox had console exclusivity for a bit and soon after "web ready" blu ray players and tvs and such emerged as well. Fall 2008 wad Netflix on Xbox, June 2008 was Roku.

It was released on PS3 fall 2009. Later on Wii but capped at SD. The Xbox release was a huge success and they had some standard Microsoft exclusivity deal. It occurred at a time when people questioned the value of Gold, so Microsoft put it behind the pay wall to increase the value of the gold sub. Same logic as the present, except Netflix behind the pay wall doesn't increase the value of the gold account due to it being wildly available.

I had Netflix on my iPhone a year after the PS3 release. Fall 2010. Really it was late summer I guess.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MJBuddy posted:

You could stream on a computer or using a Roku box that capped out at SD. Xbox had console exclusivity for a bit and soon after "web ready" blu ray players and tvs and such emerged as well. Fall 2008 wad Netflix on Xbox, June 2008 was Roku.

It was released on PS3 fall 2009. Later on Wii but capped at SD. The Xbox release was a huge success and they had some standard Microsoft exclusivity deal. It occurred at a time when people questioned the value of Gold, so Microsoft put it behind the pay wall to increase the value of the gold sub. Same logic as the present, except Netflix behind the pay wall doesn't increase the value of the gold account due to it being wildly available.

I had Netflix on my iPhone a year after the PS3 release. Fall 2010. Really it was late summer I guess.

Interesting - thanks for the rundown (and sorry for the derail folks).

So have they confirmed yet that the Network will come out from behind the paywall on the Bone along with the other apps?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MJBuddy posted:

You paid money for a TV too. And a house. And a couch to sit on. This argument is stupid because you can literally extend it to "I lived for 26 years and now you expect me to pay [anything] for [anything]!?!?!"

Sums that up pretty well...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/08/25

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol, an XFL ad followed by the commentators hyping up an upcoming game, during the "Best of Smackdown" that's airing right now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I know it would never happen with NBC owning the broadcast rights but the XFL showing up on the network would be the greatest achievement in the history of man.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just saw they added a ton of new episodes of Harcore TV. Looking forward to checking out the Cactus Jack/Mikey Whipwreck run and the beginning of the Raven run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I know it would never happen with NBC owning the broadcast rights but the XFL showing up on the network would be the greatest achievement in the history of man.

WBF would be the greatest achievement :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha I'm watching Survivor Series 2003, and they just announce Nathan Jones as "from Australia" :effort:

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
They used to announce Gail Kim as being from "Korea"!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Probably the all-time worst was Benoit being announced from Atlanta and Chris Jericho from New York. I guess there's maybe three American wrestling fans who still cared about that.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Probably the all-time worst was Benoit being announced from Atlanta and Chris Jericho from New York. I guess there's maybe three American wrestling fans who still cared about that.

They were announced as RESIDING IN, which was funny.

For some reason they kept doing it even after they abandoned the atrocious Hirohito gimmick for Kenzo Suzuki that it was meant to counteract.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

They were announced as RESIDING IN, which was funny.

For some reason they kept doing it even after they abandoned the atrocious Hirohito gimmick for Kenzo Suzuki that it was meant to counteract.

It was a novel approach that somehow simultaneously presumed that you the viewer were both completely ignorant of either guy's background (which they spent a lot of time selling for both guys) and a USA vs. Canada mark.

Suzuki also brings up that the company seems hell-bent on always having exactly one Japanese guy that they make sure to do the exact same gimmick/nothing with.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hogan isn't from Venice Beach, Undertaker isn't from Death Valley, and the Dudleys aren't from Dudleyville.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

They would do this whenever they turned the guys face. I think they announced Christian from somewhere in Florida for a time too, although I may be wrong.

Wow Eddie had pretty bad acne on his back from all the steroids in 2003

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Christian was announced as being from Tampa at WMX8 to get him heel heat in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

titties posted:

Hogan isn't from Venice Beach, Undertaker isn't from Death Valley, and the Dudleys aren't from Dudleyville.

These are bad examples because two of them are meant to be kayfabe places related to the unique gimmicks of the guys using them (UT and the Dudleys), and in Hogan's case, it's basically exchanging one very warm place with a lot of beaches (Florida, where he actually grew up) for another (Calfornia), and they're still in the same country.

Atlanta and Edmonton are not interchangeable. Neither are Winnipeg and Manhasset.