Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That was exactly my reasoning for asking, because it sounded like BS. I don't really have interest in a gun, and I did enjoy martial arts in the past (as well as crosstraining).

So protecting people if necessary is the one side (given not being stupid and not looking for fights), but the other is for fun, really. I want to do a martial art and have fun doing it.

Do a combat sport. Sports are fun.

If you like hitting people and don't mind getting hit, boxing or muay thai. If you want to roll around with sweaty dudes, some kind of grappling. If both sound appealing, find a gym that offers both.

If you're serious about practical self-defense, learning effective hand-to-hand fighting techniques should basically be your very last priority. Find and attend a good self-defense seminar, meaning one that spends the vast majority of time focusing on avoidance and situational awareness.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

the JJ posted:

Join a gym, take a NOLS course, by some running shoes, don't be stupid (alt: purchase gun, lock in safe because statistically it's safer there,* continue to not be stupid). But really, unless you're taking your family out to macho-frat boy bars and intentionally picking fights I can't imagine a scenario that is either a. escalated way beyond punching but b. that you can't also walk/run/talk your way out of.

I think there is a tension between the whole 'I wanna be able to hurt people who are hurting me on the streets' and the 'I want to be able to drill this and hit it over and over again until I will never ever not be able to hit this' and while going for #2 may be technically less 'lethal' or 'real' being able to test techniques with resisting partners who don't then immediately break vastly outweighs the benefits of learning 'real' techniques that you can't really train because they're too real. In which case you're better off looking for a good martial sports sort of deal because they're going to be cutting edge as far as technique practicality (within their rule set) because they actually have to compete with each other. If you're really picky look for a place that has a few cops or bouncers. It's probably going to be a BJJ/Judo place but those I think are the only people who regularly get into 'nonlethal' but 'real' situations anymore. I think there was a video going around of a BJJ guy rolling with some cops who were applying their techniques to him. A very different mode of operations with some very specific goals, like 'hands behind back and next to each other, cuff him' that used a lot of teamwork.

I think that last bit is really important for people to remember if they want to learn hand-to-hand self defense. No one fights one on one. If you find yourself in a bar fight it's more likely to be 2 or 3 guys vs you. And despite what movies would have you believe even badasses generally don't win when outnumbered. Situational awareness, talking, and a ccw (in that order) are the best combo for true self defense.

That being said, what things like boxing, Muay Thai, bjj, and other martial arts that involve live training can do is to put you in stressful situations with people actively trying to hurt you and teach you to keep your wits about you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That was exactly my reasoning for asking, because it sounded like BS. I don't really have interest in a gun, and I did enjoy martial arts in the past (as well as crosstraining).

So protecting people if necessary is the one side (given not being stupid and not looking for fights), but the other is for fun, really. I want to do a martial art and have fun doing it.

There's a bunch of martial arts that can potentially fit that qualification. "Fun" varies from person to person; if you tell us what's available in your area (or just what your area is) we can give you some suggestions for stuff that won't be useless on the "protecting people if necessary" side, but on the "have fun doing it" side you're just going to have to pick some and try them out till you find one that's fun for you.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
You said you did wrassle sports before, so you'll probably like BJJ or judo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Honestly, the best martial art for self-defense is Tai Chi 'cause it chills you out and makes you less likely to argue with people.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

Situational awareness, talking, and a ccw (in that order) are the best combo for true self defense.

One of the great things about learning martial arts is filling in that huge gulf in severity between talking and whipping out a deadly weapon. Bjj is probably the best at covering the full range from benign control up to maiming and killing. A gun's cool if you're in a life and death scenario with multiple and/ or armed attackers, and if you live in an situation that actually is extremely dangerous day to day then sure maybe it makes sense to pack heat. In a modern not-particularly-high-crime urban environment though for example I have a hard time picturing plausible scenarios where ccw would help anybody, rather carrying a gun is much more likely to get you in trouble in myriad ways.

So it depends on your circumstances and on your personal concept of self defense. But I think self defense ideally entails being able to restrain a drunken acquaintance without having to shoot him in the face, ya know?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I like judo the best because if you can throw a guy to the ground you can get out of dodge before he knows which way is up. It's too bad I'm not good at judo.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I like boxing best, because you learn how to take a punch like a motherfucker (one or to will be coming your way), will be very difficult to hit for someone who has not, and won't freak out at all when someone really tries to hurt you by flailing his limbs or other stuff at your head.

A quick jab, which you have already thrown 150 000 times under pressure (unlike that guy who practices secret techniques too dangerous to train), will stun, shock, scare or blind, and you can get out of dodge. And you don't even have to get on the ground to do this, there to be kicked in the back of your head by some other guys who are the friends of the jab victim.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Ligur posted:

I like boxing best, because you learn how to take a punch like a motherfucker (one or to will be coming your way), will be very difficult to hit for someone who has not, and won't freak out at all when someone really tries to hurt you by flailing his limbs or other stuff at your head.

A quick jab, which you have already thrown 150 000 times under pressure (unlike that guy who practices secret techniques too dangerous to train), will stun, shock, scare or blind, and you can get out of dodge. And you don't even have to get on the ground to do this, there to be kicked in the back of your head by some other guys who are the friends of the jab victim.

Holy hell is the part about the jab accurate. After two weeks of sparring in the upper level classes, I was able to really get the upper hand on a guy in the lower level classes that hasn't had as much experience sparring. Before, I would barely get the better of the exchanges.

I know that my success was with that simple jab. Jab my way in, body, back up stairs to make him raise his hands to block, slam a leg kick into his thigh.

It's also weird how getting hit conditions you. Now, I don't mind taking a punch. For me, getting punched in the face still hurts like hell. But now I'm starting to be able take the punch and still stay in the guy's face to fire back. Before, I'd get hit, then cower and run. Now the punches don't faze me, unless it's a hard punch that knocks my head back and takes me a bit to re-orient myself. Although I'm still having problems with bum rushers.

Gotta work on that fear reflex and calm the gently caress down.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Ligur posted:

Here's a thing from JRE where there's a dude fighting a bunch of guys using basic boxing and distance to not get murdered by an angry crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Z6w1ECXCU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Combat sports not only teach you how to punch, kick and throw under pressure but you also learn footwork and how to keep balance and range against someone trying to take those things from you.

Also most self defense arts rely on you opponent making some sort of attack before you react. This means (much of the time) that you need to be quicker than they are.

Also also, I have only been in one class (out of 20 years) where we practiced defending a third party from attack (that may be your family member). Combat sports don't suffer from this additional difficulty as you can initiate interaction with the attacker if you want .

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The jab is an awesome weapon, and one of the reasons if you think about defending your rear end is you don't want a court case because someone just suffered brain damage. Say, Judo is great and very practical, but 90% of those fights where two drunks start brawling and one person gets seriously hurt and the other thrown into jail with hell to pay? It was because the injured person fell down and hurt his head on the asphalt. You really don't want to KO anyone, or throw anyone on his head, unless you are ready to carry them the way down (think about grab a collar and elbow the jaw, and then "lead" to the ground so they don't fall completely limp, skull first). Overhands and haymakers are bad news when uncoscious people don't have a helmet or a tatami under them. Those "movie strikes" where you punch someone and he goes down for 30 minutes and then wakes up just fine don't happen either (just finished Pulp Fiction for the Nth time, and the Gimp went down from one punch and never woke up, not likely). In real life, people lose consciousness completely for 0,5 to a few seconds and then wake up and will resume flailing or stabbing or whatever if that was really their intention, yet if they fall down on something hard during that time - it might be ambulance time. The jab just stings instead of cutting people down. That said, if you Judo someone they are probably awake when they get thrown and can prepare for the landing.

Still, I actually knew a person who died because of the impractical situation that is bitumen and falling down hard on it leading with your cranium, and it was only drunken wrestling with friends. The other guy threw him with a sweep of some sort, he went down and possibly because being drunk didn't roll with the throw or come down arm first, hit his head on the ground, brain swelling and hemorrhage and next, death.

That said, of course a gun is the best thing ever and so on and knives kill you even if you know BJJ or boxing and most if not all self-defence teaching is bullshit.

But most brawls, which is probably the worst violence we will ever meet, is about people being drunk, drugged, confused or tired and testing each other because of some stupid disagreement. In that situation I'd go for boxing and running before tearing up the house with an automatic shotgun.

Dysgenesis posted:

Combat sports not only teach you how to punch, kick and throw under pressure but you also learn footwork and how to keep balance and range against someone trying to take those things from you.

I have no idea how common it is in general, but one of the basic warmup drills where I train is just moving (like, in shadow boxing) with someone while trying to keep your range. The other person leads, the other person moves accordingly so he is constantly in jab or cross or kick range but not an inch closer than needed. After you've done it for a few years it feels natural, but it's crazy how difficult people who never do those drills find holding proper range. Or how much they misjudge how fast someone can step in two (or 12!) feet and land a horrifying strike.

Not having to think about that in a fight (sport or not) really helps. I force people to drill throwing crosses, jabs and kicks from maximum range and it's surprising how many people feel they need to hug the heavy bag or their partner to land anything. Isn't necessary at all. You can be very loving far away and still inflict terrific damage with your reach, whatever it is.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 10, 2014

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

The jab just stings instead of cutting people down.

A stiff jab can definitely knock someone down, but any time you're punching bare-handed to the face, you risk breaking your knuckles or cutting your fingers on their teeth.

I would say that anyone who's sparred for a while realizes how totally different fightsport is from any sort of weaponless self-defense scenario.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I've always had interest in Krav Maga, but the name of this place and how the website looks makes it sound like pure bullshit. http://www.kravmagatkd.com/

Anyone? Thoughts? They seem to be a part of that Krav Maga Worldwide group (listed as being licensed for Illinois) but I wasn't really sure.

A bit late, but yeah, that place looks like it's probably bullshit. Find out what the instructor's qualifications / history is, go to one of the free sessions, but I don't like your chances. Ideally you'd want to find someone who trained in Israel, not just went to some lovely weekend course. Also bear in mind that the 'sparring' for Krav is definitely not as good as something like boxing, because a lot of it is based around things like escaping from headlocks etc. Still pretty cool if you can find a good school imo.

e: That said, I'm jealous of their training space :(

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 10, 2014

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

One of the things I learned the hard way was techniques thrown from the rear arm or leg have a longer range than those off the front.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ligur posted:

A quick jab, which you have already thrown 150 000 times under pressure (unlike that guy who practices secret techniques too dangerous to train),

What was it Bruce Lee said "I fear more a man that practiced one kick a thousand times than one who practiced a thousand kicks once."?

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 10, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

A stiff jab can definitely knock someone down, but any time you're punching bare-handed to the face, you risk breaking your knuckles or cutting your fingers on their teeth.

It can, if someone steps into it. I'm just saying it's a really good punch if you want to shock or scare someone to get some time to run away. A quick flick of a jab most of the time will not KO anyone, unless you step in - and he steps into it, and the stars are aligned too. Bare-handed is also doable, but you need to have a certain sensitivity about it. I's not fun to recollect the assault scenario I was in a few years ago, but I didn't even break my skin throwing quick jabs at someone who was barging in with haymakers. I kept them tight, quick and light, and the dude only bled profusely but was never in any danger (nor was my hand).

An overhead cross on the other hand will most often miss, but if it lands, someone goes down. And then they hurt their head when they hit it on the ground and/or your hand is broken because you landed it on a skull. Neither of which you don't want at all. Was all I was trying to say.

kimbo305 posted:

I would say that anyone who's sparred for a while realizes how totally different fightsport is from any sort of weaponless self-defense scenario.

Sure, but the guy who does full contact sparring in any sport is just so much well prepared compared to someone who never does it. As if you didn't know, but for anyone new reading this: take heed. This is why people keep telling you the local Krav club might be poo poo with their lethal combat tactics that are so lethal they cannot be practiced ever.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 11, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did first CSW practice today, holy crap it was some of the funnest stuff I've done in awhile. My only regret is both of the tops of my feet are missing skin from rubbing on the mat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My smoker match was canceled. Not too surprised, since this happened to me the first match I tried to get. At 3 days out, I figured I'd continue through the worst part of the weight cut just to see.
Stopped drinking water 18hr out from my simulated weigh-in after a week of light sodium eating. Woke up this morning at 185.4 for 185; figured it was good enough. Drank a liter of coconut water over the next 2 hours and went into the gym for sparring. Nobody was there, so I just went as hard as I could on the bag for 3 rounds. I was definitely not 100%, but felt better than my last buildup to a match.

I can eat what I want now, but I've been eating so clean it doesn't even feel good. Replace the money with junk food:

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
Just finished my 6kyu test for aikido which was fun, I plan to continue aikido but I think I would enjoy some competition. Also, I enjoy the aspects of balance manipulation and rolling out of a throw plus in general being out and around people doing anything instead of being at the bar or some similar form of bullshit.

I was thinking of looking into Judo as I read it was similar too aikido but has a little bit of the competition mixed in (which aikido lacks) My question being how different is walking into one of these classes going to be from what I am used too, is there anything I should bring other than just my Gi? Also I do lifting and before these classes is there a part of the body I should avoid or maybe go easier on because it will make the techniques more painful? Maybe there is another type I should look into based on what you have read?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Minclark posted:

Just finished my 6kyu test for aikido which was fun, I plan to continue aikido but I think I would enjoy some competition. Also, I enjoy the aspects of balance manipulation and rolling out of a throw plus in general being out and around people doing anything instead of being at the bar or some similar form of bullshit.

I was thinking of looking into Judo as I read it was similar too aikido but has a little bit of the competition mixed in (which aikido lacks) My question being how different is walking into one of these classes going to be from what I am used too, is there anything I should bring other than just my Gi? Also I do lifting and before these classes is there a part of the body I should avoid or maybe go easier on because it will make the techniques more painful? Maybe there is another type I should look into based on what you have read?

Judowns, go for it. You don't need to bring anything your first time and the judo gi is different from an aikido gi. You're probably overthinking it in terms of lifting schedule and classes, if you want to play it safe just don't life the day before.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Well I felt a bit silly in the last kickboxing practice when I found out we're about to have a belt test. I didn't even know we had belts. What should I expect? They say no one really fails but now I feel like a high schooler again so I'm nervous about it. Didn't really help my feeling that day when the the instructor wanted to introduce us to BJJ type training and we were doing rolls and sideway rolls and backwards rolls and leaping rolls and shrimp walk things and who knows what for a beginning warmup. They were really fun actually but God drat I don't bend that way!

mewse
May 2, 2006

General Emergency posted:

Well I felt a bit silly in the last kickboxing practice when I found out we're about to have a belt test. I didn't even know we had belts. What should I expect? They say no one really fails but now I feel like a high schooler again so I'm nervous about it. Didn't really help my feeling that day when the the instructor wanted to introduce us to BJJ type training and we were doing rolls and sideway rolls and backwards rolls and leaping rolls and shrimp walk things and who knows what for a beginning warmup. They were really fun actually but God drat I don't bend that way!

Just roll with it

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Minclark posted:

Judo is what you need/want.

It is like aikido (e.g. throwing people on the ground with Martial Arts) but you will know 100% it will work for you, because as you wanted, it has you try your techniques out on your partner who tries his techniques out back at you at near 100% resistance, and everyone is trying to make everyone better because there are lots of tournaments to compete in. But it has the same balance distortion and rolling around on the floor out of throws etc as Aikido that you described you liked.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is location.
Pick a gym that's relatively convenient for you to get to.
Fiction is full of stories about students who travel 6 hours each day to a martial arts school on top of a mountain but in reality you're more likely to go often if it's not too much of a PITA.
You're better off going to a so-so gym that does so-so martial arts 3 times a week than a great gym with great martial arts once a month.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Emergency posted:

As someone who can shrimp and or break fall in their sleep there's nothing funnier than watching people who've never done it before do it for the first time. Hip escapes forwards are also great to see. They're pretty good for core strength too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks for the reply man. Glad we can help eachother out.

Hotel is going to be real pricey in Copacabana. You can find some much cheaper places if you want to take the bus which isn't too bad. Rio has a ton of vans constantly driving around that pick you up at certain street corners. They'll have stickers on the windows saying where they go or a guy will be yelling out the window. They'll drop you off anywhere long the route to. But most hostels offer private rooms or small shared rooms anyways.

I rarely ever cooked my own meals. I hosted some couchsurfers and they'd cook some meals sometimes. I'd just stock up on fruit for home. Places like copa you'll find little juice bars at every corner. They'll have nice salty/meat pastries and you can pick up a delicious fresh blended acai or whatever fruit you want. This is what I mostly ate. After bjj I'd just grab a couple pastries on my way back and would *attempt* to have nice chats with the dudes working there. I always tipped them a couple reals so they took care of me.

I didn't think about starting at a tourist gym. I planned on checking out at least 2-3 gyms between Phangan and Samui. I won't be hurting financial so I won't mind supporting the gyms by getting some private lessons.

From doing googling I came under the impression that Koh Phangan was the place to go and less expensive/touristy. Either way it's just a ferry ride away so I'm not too worried. I've googled gyms in both places for hours and I can't even list the ones I'm interested in because there's too many. But off the top of my head the ones I was looking at -

Kobra
Diamond
Lamai
Chorenrit
Chinnarach

I haven't heard of Jun I'll check that one out!

So think I'll be fine with Samui or Phangan? I suppose if I do get real into it and want to take it serious I can head to Bangkok or possibly Phucket. I'm not too worried about the partying anymore but do love the beach. That being said I do like nice central locations.

Thanks again for all the help!

For content here's a pretty entertaining video of a guy celebrating too early in a MT match. Guess it shows you just how devastating elbows can be. Doesn't even look like he gets much momentum. Can't find it on youtube so sorry for the facebook link..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=678684855512470

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 13, 2014

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Minclark posted:

Do Judo.
Also, congrats on the promotion.
I do both Aikido and Judo and they complement each other well. Judo will pretty much give you whatever level of competition you desire depending on your area. (I live in the absolute middle of nowhere so my options are limited.) They're going to do things a little different in Judo then Aikido because the objectives are different but you shouldn't have anymore of a problem walking in and learning Judo technique then you do learning new Aikido technique. Judogi are heavier and more durable then Aikidogi so you'll probably want to get a new gi for Judo. I can't really give much advise on the lifting part because everyone is different. I'd just say feel things out and see what works for you, maybe don't lift the first class just to see how it goes. Hope this helps a little.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks for all the adice does anyone have a specific recommendation as to the type of Gi I should get for Judo? Still new to the knowing what I need equipment wise and the local store has limited english to help.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Minclark posted:

Thanks for all the adice does anyone have a specific recommendation as to the type of Gi I should get for Judo? Still new to the knowing what I need equipment wise and the local store has limited english to help.

There's a 99.99% chance the judo club will sell them, don't worry about buying one before you go. The main things to pick up ahead of time are a cup and mouthguard.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The main things to pick up ahead of time are a cup and mouthguard.

How did I forget that part. I still find a cup to be uncomfortable most of the time but it's far better then the alternative.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

n3rdal3rt posted:

How did I forget that part. I still find a cup to be uncomfortable most of the time but it's far better then the alternative.

You can always grab a pair of compression shorts with a built in slot for a cup

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You can't wear a cup for Judo competitions so you might as well get used to not wearing one. Unless you're club only practices uchimata compression shorts or a jock strap are going to be good enough 95% of the time anyway.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Having your balls destroyed by uchi mata is a judo rite of passage.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

You can't wear a cup for Judo competitions so you might as well get used to not wearing one.

this is the worst advice

n3rdal3rt posted:

If you get the right kind of (flexible) cup you shouldn't even feel or think about it when you're wearing it.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I grapple about three to four hours a day five days a week, I never wear a cup.

*No kids

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I can't even tell you how many unprotected judo balls I've destroyed going for leglocks at open mat

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Thread,

I wanna get into bjj, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to fit it into my schedule. Quick questions: how early should I eat before a class? Is it a big meal or keep it light? Do schools usually have a changing room or do I need to get the gi on before I arrive at class? Also, just generally, how do you guys fit a hour class into your day after work?

Thanks!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I remember checking out Jigoro Kano's original (19th century) Judo manual from the library once.
It ended with a chapter on first aid. That chpter ended with a section on "testicular resuscitation". Which described how to "extract testicles that had been pressed into the body due to a kick or uchi-mata". With pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you get the right kind of (flexible) cup you shouldn't even feel or think about it when you're wearing it.

Any recomendations for a flexible cup?
Serious post

• Locked thread