Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Meatwave posted:

Unless Optimus shrank a bit for that poster, which is more likely given Michael Bay's Institute for the Variable Sizes of Things.

That's a Transformers thing that predates Michael Bay: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Scale#Scale_within_fictions

Why sperg about dinosaur robot shapes when we have John Goodman voicing this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So is Grimlock a dragon now, instead of a t-rex?

It's a robot alien.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not exactly poster related, but I just heard that HR Giger has died after a fall. Very sad.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The MSJ posted:

That's a Transformers thing that predates Michael Bay: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Scale#Scale_within_fictions

Why sperg about dinosaur robot shapes when we have John Goodman voicing this guy:

What is this mess? Gimlibot?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Why does that robot dinosaur need a tongue?

Why does a robot dinosaur need to be at all?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I hope this movie is good, so I can see big robot dinosaurs fighting with big robots and also Mark Wahlberg for some reason.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

Not exactly poster related

There are Giger posters, though!

I just looked up some of the movies that had used his art, found this...

and saw the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eyD_NdGTy8
Jeez.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Jedit posted:

Not exactly poster related, but I just heard that HR Giger has died after a fall. Very sad.

That sucks. drat.

Was just going to post this. Too bad the film looks like crap.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

Optimus: :v: yaaaaaaaaaay robot dinosaur!!

I never cared much for Transformers, and never bothered watching anything after the first one, which left a sour taste in my mouth. That being said this looks amazing. Robot cars riding on the back of robot dinosaurs while wielding giant swords. I am finding it hard not to love everything about this poster.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I took this picture at a Best Buy yesterday. Seems someone at Fox had the bright idea that minimalist posters needed to be much uglier and jaw-droppingly terrible.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

I took this picture at a Best Buy yesterday. Seems someone at Fox had the bright idea that minimalist posters needed to be much uglier and jaw-droppingly terrible.

if that is jaw-droppingly terrible to you your jaw tendons are made of wet spaghetti

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Robert Denby posted:

These...actually aren't bad for the most part, certainly as far as minimalist covers go. A few of these are actually better than the existing Blu-Ray covers for their respective movies. I wish someone would do one of these for the Minority Report Blu-Ray, that cover is abysmal.

e: most of them just look like they took the most prominent object from the existing Blu-Ray cover and isolated it against a white background, which doesn't strike me as a terrible idea.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 13, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, is it bad that I actually kind of dig them? Especially the Office Space one, which is the "good" kind of minimalist in that it conveys the movie's attitudes and themes in a single image.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
The Office Space one makes it look like a movie about a serial killer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Featuring the all time movie classics Hitman, Max Payne, and Svedka Robot.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, is it bad that I actually kind of dig them? Especially the Office Space one, which is the "good" kind of minimalist in that it conveys the movie's attitudes and themes in a single image.

It also is the first poster I've seen that actually has Ron Livingston on it.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Haha. Speed is 2 bucks cheaper than all the other movies.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

I question their definition of "essential", but otherwise those aren't too bad.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

They do make all of them look much dramatic/ action-oriented, I will say. Somebody already mentioned the Office Space cover, but the one for Raising Arizona makes it look much more dramatic than the movie actually is.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I dunno. There are a couple decent ones but that Raising Arizona cover is dogshit.

I actually dig the Edward Scissorhands one a lot, but it would look a million times better if it kept the color palette of the actual film.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The one for Dodgeball looks dumb, and does Max Payne really have anything to do with winged demon creatures? I thought it was just Marky Mark playing Noir.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yoshifan823 posted:

The one for Dodgeball looks dumb, and does Max Payne really have anything to do with winged demon creatures? I thought it was just Marky Mark playing Noir.

I remember seeing winged demons in the trailers. I think they might just be hallucinations, though.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I remember the trailers having winged demon creatures (probably the hallucinations you see on the drug that's in the games, Valkyr), so they're probably there in fits and spurts as creepy drug visions.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They are hallucinations but they're also able to knock a druggie through a window.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like how the Speed one looks like a little bus is poking it's head up from the side in a "What's going on here? " fashion.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Speed one is great.

"I'm a bus!
I'm a bus!
I'm a motherfucking bus!"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The font they used for Fight Club is atrocious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hewlett posted:

I remember the trailers having winged demon creatures (probably the hallucinations you see on the drug that's in the games, Valkyr), so they're probably there in fits and spurts as creepy drug visions.

I've had the displeasure of watching the Max Payne movie and I can confirm this is true. They used demons whenever someone took this drug. Which allowed for scenes where a man is dragged through a window by a giant winged demon. loving weird dumb bad movie that was.
Also, there is a great scene where Max realizes who the killer is by remembering that he saw his face through one of those hanging spinning baby toys. So weird.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CelticPredator posted:

I've had the displeasure of watching the Max Payne movie and I can confirm this is true. They used demons whenever someone took this drug. Which allowed for scenes where a man is dragged through a window by a giant winged demon. loving weird dumb bad movie that was.
Also, there is a great scene where Max realizes who the killer is by remembering that he saw his face through one of those hanging spinning baby toys. So weird.

I have seen that movie at least 3 times. I don't know when, I don't know where, I don't know how, I don't remember any part of it... But this is what I know.

Maybe the shittiest alien abduction ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

I'm still scratching my head over the casting of Ludacris as Jim Bravura.

Jim Bravura in the games:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not My Jim Bravura

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm still scratching my head over the casting of Ludacris as Jim Bravura.

Jim Bravura in the games:

They probably didn't want it to be all white people.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

They probably didn't want it to be all white people.
Yeah, I guess. Ludacris isn't a terrible actor or anything, I just always wondered who saw Jim Bravura in the games and thought "Let's get Ludacris to play him." That's one of the only scenarios that makes sense.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Slate Action posted:

These...actually aren't bad for the most part, certainly as far as minimalist covers go. A few of these are actually better than the existing Blu-Ray covers for their respective movies. I wish someone would do one of these for the Minority Report Blu-Ray, that cover is abysmal.

e: most of them just look like they took the most prominent object from the existing Blu-Ray cover and isolated it against a white background, which doesn't strike me as a terrible idea.

They're not bad individually, but I have to say I kinda dislike them because they're trying to bring together films of disparate concept and ideas into a similar style that doesn't work. Like someone else said, a lot of those movies don't fit with their genre, like the serial killer look for Office Space, gritty crime drama of Raising Arizona and M.A.S.H. looking like it's some follow-up to Full Metal Jacket. And a lot of them would fit better if they kept some of their original posters like the exploding Nakatomi building on Die Hard.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Yeah, I guess. Ludacris isn't a terrible actor or anything, I just always wondered who saw Jim Bravura in the games and thought "Let's get Ludacris to play him." That's one of the only scenarios that makes sense.

and you know what, I like it when they do that, because it really pisses off nerds AND is social conscious of them, which is rare for hollywood.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

To be fair, when I look at anyone, I think "I wish this person was Ludacris instead". Because it's Luda.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slate Action posted:

It is for Rocky Horror, where the old cover is exactly the same image on a black background.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Compared to the posters for the first two, this cover is a bit too Direct To Video looking, but I guess it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
"VISIONARY DIRECTOR" is getting thrown around a lot lately...