Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Awesome, thanks! The one thing I changed was the in-game title from "Shieldmaiden" to the Old Norse word for them, "Skjaldmær", just because it fits in better with the other Norse honorary titles, and changed the limit to 4 since that seems to be the same number most other titles with multiple uses have. A lot of people just mod cultures to allow female generals/counselors like Cathars, but I felt like this way was less cheaty - it still allows you to use women in those roles but only exceptional cases, and also fits in historically with the Norse.

(As an aside, apparently the Vikings did have way more female warriors than most cultures of the time, so it would probably be historically consistent to just flag them all for it, but I liked the idea of the title better)

*edit* what the heck does the "dignity" value mean for minor titles anyway? Is it an AI thing?

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Finally, after 24 ½ years of hovering around max decadence, the Arabian empire had a decadence revolt.

However after the Arabian Empire took Constantinople the Ecumenical patriarch is now held by "No Character". Is it possible to fix this in Ironman? If I create it myself it's gameover, can any of the patriarchs themselves create the title?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I seem to be having a whole lot of trouble trying to play CK2 with CK2Plus.

I got it from here: https://github.com/CK2Plus/CK2Plus

Basically the game CTD's if I try to choose the very last timeline in new campaign and some of the characters (including my own character) have invisible heads! There's just a crown shape, but no head to go with it :stare:

I don't have any of the DLC's or anything and I haven't installed the mod before.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

*edit* what the heck does the "dignity" value mean for minor titles anyway? Is it an AI thing?

Yes it's to prevent the AI from choosing a different title as it inflates the "prestige" of the currently owned title. The Republic of Venice uses it to prevent the Doge using something like the Kingdom of Greece instead.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

OddObserver posted:

Were there any further fixes to the Jain icon in exporter, BTW? The one in previous version didn't
actually work right --- the religion tab icons were all messed up.

Not that I know of. I did tell them though!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

WMain00 posted:

I seem to be having a whole lot of trouble trying to play CK2 with CK2Plus.

CK2Plus is still being (very slowly) updated for the new patch and there's a half-decent chance that the dev version on github won't work on any given day or will still have bizarre and inexplicable bugs. Tread carefully or play vanilla/HIP/GoT for now.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

So is there a way to prevent CK2 from [beta] updating and still play it, or am I forced to update it whenever I click "play" no matter what?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A lot of people just mod cultures to allow female generals/counselors like Cathars, but I felt like this way was less cheaty -

It also keeps things much more compatible with other mods- changing Norse cultures to allow female commanders would make the mod incompatible with any other mod that changes the stock cultures.txt file.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrPop posted:

So is there a way to prevent CK2 from [beta] updating and still play it, or am I forced to update it whenever I click "play" no matter what?

If you haven't opted into the beta then the game will not patch the beta, but if you've opted into a previous beta patch and do not wish to patch to the new beta, you can just run the CK2 launcher straight from the CK2 directory, which will bypass steam altogether.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Did the patch fix the "Characters sometimes have two noses" issue?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm having a crash to desktop every so often when I click the religions tab. Not running any mods. Anyone else having this/any ideas?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've been having an issue with my chaplain as a Hindu, both in vanilla and HIP, where I can't select my guru as a chaplain, only my same religion bishops (can't remember the Indian term). He has a religious education, and is the right religion, and is priestly caste.

Yet when I get the "I would be a much better chaplain" event from my guru, I can make him my chaplain with that.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Yes.

YES

The father of the devil spawn turned out to be a lunatic. I love this game. :allears:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

marktheando posted:

I've been having an issue with my chaplain as a Hindu, both in vanilla and HIP, where I can't select my guru as a chaplain, only my same religion bishops (can't remember the Indian term). He has a religious education, and is the right religion, and is priestly caste.

Yet when I get the "I would be a much better chaplain" event from my guru, I can make him my chaplain with that.

Vanilla and HIP both specifically block gurus from being named Chaplain, I don't know why exactly.

The event for "better chaplain" doesn't have that same restriction (probably due to an oversight) and so it can backdoor someone into that job where they ordinarily couldn't be given it.

(incidentally, if the mod support coder PDX was hiring is on the job yet, they should really implement some condition check in the script language for "can be appointed to X job" so that you don't have to remember to duplicate that job's requirements in a hundred other places for stuff like the Become Councillor ambitions (or the Discredit Councillor plots from AO, or the Better Councillor event chains, or literally every event that can happen to troop commanders/marshals now that women can command troops under certain conditions, etc, etc).

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Looks like CK2+ is now on life support: the devs have largely burnt out and quit. Unless some people pick it up I think it's officially dead. The real shame is that I cannot bring myself to play vanilla CK2 or any of the vanilla-light mods. A real shame.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Looks like CK2+ is now on life support: the devs have largely burnt out and quit. Unless some people pick it up I think it's officially dead. The real shame is that I cannot bring myself to play vanilla CK2 or any of the vanilla-light mods. A real shame.

Yeah, this really loving sucks... first I lost TPATT (still my all time favorite mod) now CK2+. HIP is inferior to both of those by a long shot in my humble opinion and now I've got no other choice but that mod & the GoT mod. Either way, it means I bought Rajas of India for basically no reason because the only way to utilize it is playing vanilla (gently caress that.)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bishop Rodan posted:

The father of the devil spawn turned out to be a lunatic. I love this game. :allears:

I was rooting around in those event files to whip up the Shieldmaidens mod, and being a lunatic increases the odds that the demonspawn event will happen to one of your children.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

DStecks posted:

I was rooting around in those event files to whip up the Shieldmaidens mod, and being a lunatic increases the odds that the demonspawn event will happen to one of your children.

I figured, yeah, but he didn't get the lunatic trait until long after my daughter became demonspawn. I dunno if he had it as a hidden trait the whole time or if it's just a funny coincidence.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dallan Invictus posted:

literally every event that can happen to troop commanders/marshals now that women can command troops under certain conditions, etc, etc).
Why would you need to duplicate the marshal qualification check there? If they're being handed a commander event, they must be leading troops, which means that they must already qualify to be a marshal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

...right. Brain fart. I meant ambitions relating to commanding troops/crusading (does vanilla even have any?).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Somebody with modding talent, please, just rip out the faction system and make it a separate mod, It's all I desire. :(

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Fuligin posted:

Somebody with modding talent, please, just rip out the faction system and make it a separate mod, It's all I desire. :(

Yes please. If this got combined with HIP it would be on par with Wiz-era CK2+.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So is anyone else experiencing an issue with the Beta launcher where you cannot disable a mod once it has been enabled?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Bishop Rodan posted:

Yes.

YES

Your heir is patrilineally descended from Muhammad, and a Greek Orthodox Roman Princess?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Your heir is patrilineally descended from Muhammad, and a Greek Orthodox Roman Princess?

Not a Karling though, so he's missed the hattrick. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

paranoid randroid posted:

So is anyone else experiencing an issue with the Beta launcher where you cannot disable a mod once it has been enabled?

Yeah, I ended up changing the .mod file to something else. I mentioned it upthread when the patch first hit.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not a Karling though, so he's missed the hattrick. :colbert:

Where's that "It's good to be the Hyperbasileos" post?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DStecks posted:

Where's that "It's good to be the Hyperbasileos" post?

DrSunshine posted:

August 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM EST.

Omni-Basileus Alexandrios Kommenos XVI, ruler of the Roman Empire of Earth looks out from his capitol in Washington D.C.. Over a thousand years ago his ancestors embarked on a campaign of conquest that brought them from ruling a faded empire perched in the armpit of the Mediterranean Sea, to extending the dominion of Rome to encompass the entire planet. From the distance, over the waves, comes the dull roar of another sub-orbital cruise-liner ferrying passengers back from the Constantine I space station. Soon, the Roman Flag would be planted upon every planet in the solar system.

"Alex-dearie!" calls Megumi bint Radhu von Karling, his dearest lover. "Come back to bed with me."

Alexandrios takes a sip of mead and pads back to his chamber, thanking Ahura Mazda for his blessings. It's good to be the Omni Basileus.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I may have had some fun with the ruler designer. :shobon:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fuligin posted:

And the crusades mechanic, if it's still like it was when Wiz worked on it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
now I want to try and breed a saoshyant sayyid viking.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Beamed posted:

And the crusades mechanic, if it's still like it was when Wiz worked on it.

I'm pretty sure the Crusade mechanic is mostly the same, yeah.

Looking at the repository, there've been updates today at least but they could probably use some help from people who know their way around scripting (or just want to overwhelm the current mod team through sheer numbers. :P).

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
Succession Chat!

The state of the realm:

I am currently using Enatic Primogeniture on all of my titles and my character's daughter is set to inherit.

Her stats are great, but she became celibate and is now past childbearing age with no daughters of her own. That means her two aunts, my character's sisters, are next in line. Neither of them have very good stats.

The first aunt has no daughters either, but the second aunt's only surviving daughter is a genius with awesome stats, and I want her to inherit. I (cough) got them out of the way.

After my character died of old age, her competent but celibate daughter took over. I got a rude surprise when I checked the laws tab again, however. Suddenly this random kinswoman was next in line.

Turns out the genius was only second in line for the throne with my old character, as she was her niece. With my current ruler though, she was only a cousin, putting her on the same level as all the other kinswomen. I looked at the new heiress's lineage and saw that she was descended from the first child of the current ruler's great-great-great-great grandmother.

My current character has a granddaughter from her only son, but apparently she's not in line for the throne. I suppose it's because her father is not able to inherit, so she did not get any claims herself.

Just wondering how the game calculates who takes over if the current ruler has no legitimate close family, and if that follows how primogeniture was supposed to work historically.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

So I was just clicking around on red skulls to see if I could get my game to crash, and I found something kinda cool.

This is my current ruler's father, Alexios II, who died fighting some random dude in service to the Seljuks or Fatimids or whatever.

This is my current ruler who succeeded him, Arsenios II:

Who apparently brooks no poo poo and proceeded to hunt down and kill the guy who killed his father at some point or another, unbeknownst to me (admittedly, it wasn't single combat):

Komnenodoukai don't forget, breh.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DrPop posted:

So I was just clicking around on red skulls to see if I could get my game to crash, and I found something kinda cool.

This is my current ruler's father, Alexios II, who died fighting some random dude in service to the Seljuks or Fatimids or whatever.

This is my current ruler who succeeded him, Arsenios II:

Who apparently brooks no poo poo and proceeded to hunt down and kill the guy who killed his father at some point or another, unbeknownst to me (admittedly, it wasn't single combat):

Komnenodoukai don't forget, breh.

Huh, so do Muslim characters have the ability (well, at least through random events/decisions, I guess) to challenge others to single combat, similar to Holmgang between Norse characters? If so, how can you get it to trigger? I haven't played as a Muslim character since SoI came out, so apologies if my question seems stupid - since I'm just currently weighing up having a game as either a Christian or Muslim ruler of Sicily, if my Wales game goes arse-up.

Thanks

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, so do Muslim characters have the ability (well, at least through random events/decisions, I guess) to challenge others to single combat, similar to Holmgang between Norse characters? If so, how can you get it to trigger? I haven't played as a Muslim character since SoI came out, so apologies if my question seems stupid - since I'm just currently weighing up having a game as either a Christian or Muslim ruler of Sicily, if my Wales game goes arse-up.

Thanks

That's a mod.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

^^^ Yup. Specifically, it's something in the current iteration of HIP. If I had to guess, I'd say VIET, but I'm not sure.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

now I want to try and breed a saoshyant sayyid viking.

Pretty easy actually. Start with Nantes, raid south to grab a Sayyid child, integrate them into the bloodline. While doing this, county conquest hop your way over to Persia. Prepared invasion of Vandad, and then change to Zoro.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DStecks posted:

That's a mod.

DrPop posted:

^^^ Yup. Specifically, it's something in the current iteration of HIP. If I had to guess, I'd say VIET, but I'm not sure.

drat, well it looks like I'll just have to stick with assassinations and the like, for the time being. I really should start using mods though, at some stage, although the addition of ironman mode (read: Steam achievements :cripes:) has somewhat reduced my desire to try out mods...

EDIT: ^^^ Good lord you're so methodical about this! ...I love it! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So the HRE is currently being ruled by a regent, why can I not press my wife's Weak Claim on the HRE? I can press the claims of my male courtiers but not her's.

• Locked thread