Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbroken_(film)

Never did I expect to hear the sentence "directed by Angelina Jolie, written by Joel and Ethan Coen".

I am very down with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LesterGroans posted:

Holy poo poo, this would be amazing.

'Experts' analyzing slash marks and footprints and saying there's now way the Cloverfield monster could have existed. Protestors demanding proof of those giant lice, calling it a "False Flea" operation.

You could probably do that with Windows Movie Maker in a couple of days. Add some crappy commentary and free-to-use music, and upload that fucker on YouTube. Maybe it could be about how the "monster" was just an excuse to bomb Manhattan.

Call it Green Fields.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hewlett posted:

The film spends much more time setting up the mystery of the Mutos and focusing on them than it does on Godzilla, who is largely treated as a fact of nature and little else. Its structure actually reminded me quite a bit of Mothra vs. Godzilla.

Okay, well that sounds better then. I need to rewatch Mothra vs. Godzilla, it's been a while.

e: VVV don't let SMG hear you say that. "So you find fascist films innocuous, do you? Tell me more."

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 13, 2014

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

CelticPredator posted:

I love that Pacific Rim. I love it good.

You can't hurt me! My body is a Jäger bittcchh!
Yeah, I really enjoyed Pacific Rim. I try not to say that too often in CineD because it always opens the floodgates of hatred towards a really innocuous film.

Hewlett posted:

The film spends much more time setting up the mystery of the Mutos and focusing on them than it does on Godzilla, who is largely treated as a fact of nature and little else. Its structure actually reminded me quite a bit of Mothra vs. Godzilla.
With that in mind I will probably enjoy the new Godzilla more than I thought I was going to, thanks for posting that :3:

Edit: I think one of the more interesting thoughts on Cloverfield I've seen came from somebody I follow on the twitters, @CharlotteOfOz. I'm paraphrasing based on memory here, but she said something along the lines of "Horror demands that we don't see the monster, but a big monster movie demands that we do", and I think personally that Cloverfield kind of straddles those two things -- we get lots of half-glimpses, so I spent most of the movie not feeling afraid of the monster and feeling a little frustrated that I didn't actually get to know what it looked like, which was vaguely irritating to me.

It's not necessary to see the monster for a movie like Cloverfield to work, so I don't have any artistic objections to that idea, but Cloverfield really didn't work for me because I found all of the characters pretty unlikable and didn't particularly care if they got axed. It's hard for me not to be incredibly bored if I don't care about anyone in the film.

That said I haven't watched it since I saw it in the theater, maybe I'll give it another whirl sometime.

TwistedLadder fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 13, 2014

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Neighbors(2014) was pretty drat funny, managing that ever so difficult balancing act of vulgarity and heart. Reminded me a ton of my friends who have children.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TwistedLadder posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed Pacific Rim. I try not to say that too often in CineD because it always opens the floodgates of hatred towards a really innocuous film.

I think I found your OKCupid icebreaker.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Game of Thrones thread(s) in TV/IV is (are) chock full of people wishing brutal deaths upon every woman in the series.

These forums are the worst.

Thankfully I'll be in Virginia for a week, wearing plenty of shorts and definitely some bro tanks too.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think I found your OKCupid icebreaker.

The beauty of being on OkCupid is that I never have to send a message. Comedy just floods my inbox every day.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TwistedLadder posted:

The beauty of being on OkCupid is that I never have to send a message. Comedy just floods my inbox every day.

You are making me glad I don't use OkCupid.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

TwistedLadder posted:

I mention in my profile that my bathroom door does not shut all the way because it has been painted over so many times. Roughly 3/4 of the people who contact me mention the same problem in their first message. OKCupid is the king of awkward ice breakers.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sure, but are shot choices spoilers now?

I was referring specifically to the reveal that there is more than one giant monster in this movie, which is something I sure didn't know until your post. I haven't kept up with any of the marketing or anything, is that supposed to be common knowledge now? If so, I apologize.

EDIT: Also, both Godzilla and Neighbors have their own threads where those conversations should be shifted to.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Alec Eiffel posted:

The Game of Thrones thread(s) in TV/IV is (are) chock full of people wishing brutal deaths upon every woman in the series on television.

FTFY

The GoT threads are pretty dire though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fat Lou posted:

I mention in my profile that my bathroom door does not shut all the way because it has been painted over so many times. Roughly 3/4 of the people who contact me mention the same problem in their first message. OKCupid is the king of awkward ice breakers.

To be fair, it sounds awkward both ways.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Vargo posted:

I was referring specifically to the reveal that there is more than one giant monster in this movie, which is something I sure didn't know until your post. I haven't kept up with any of the marketing or anything, is that supposed to be common knowledge now? If so, I apologize.

Yeah, it is in a lot of the commercials.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

To be fair, it sounds awkward both ways.

Hey man, I gotta put something in that "The most private thing I’m willing to admit" section.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You are making me glad I don't use OkCupid.

Don't worry, if you're not a girl you won't get any messages.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Fat Lou posted:

Yeah, it is in a lot of the commercials.

My bad then.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Alec Eiffel posted:

The Game of Thrones thread(s) in TV/IV is (are) chock full of people wishing brutal deaths upon every woman in the series.

Thankfully I'll be in Virginia for a week, wearing plenty of shorts and definitely some bro tanks too.

Right now it's aimed at a woman who is at worst just upset about how she's be treated, at worst is being coerced by other people who are probably threatening death as an option. but sure, go ahead, call her a oval office or bitch, because that's what TVIV does.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vargo posted:

EDIT: Also, both Godzilla and Neighbors have their own threads where those conversations should be shifted to.
Frankly, I'm surprised enough people cared about Neighbors to keep up a thread on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All this Godzilla and Pacific Rim talk reminds me that I am know eager to read a thread for the new Transformers movie because it's the first post-Terry-van-Feleday-Transformers-thread movie in the series.

The MSJ posted:

Better looking version of that trailer, but with more Imagine Dragons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hNxd3RtYrc

Also who wants Saints Row 2 and 3?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
drat, I better watch Searching for Sugar Man.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This summer's got an amazing lineup of large-scale monster movies, especially when compared against last year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This summer's got an amazing lineup of large-scale monster movies, especially when compared against last year.

There's Godzilla I know, but what else? I'm blanking on the others.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Transformers 4
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
TMNT
Expendables 3

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
In Italian Star Wars dubs, C-3PO was known as D-3BO (pronounced DiTrebbio) and R2-D2 was known as C1-P8 (pronounced Ciuno Piotto). I think those are funny names for robots.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Transformers likely counts since Dinobots are big robot dinosaurs. Beyond that I'm not sure either.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Transformers and Godzilla are the obvious ones, Edge of Tomorrow has aliens that genuinely look alien and huge, Guardians of the Galaxy has Groot, TMNT has the turtles, Hercules has The Rock, and history's greatest monster, Steve Harvey, is getting a sequel to the movie based off of his book.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Counting giant robots (because I can do that), Transformers 4, Dawn Of Ape Planet, Ninja Turtles, Edge Of Tomorrow, and probably some others. Maleficent could come out of nowhere and be the next Snow White And The Huntsman.

The more important thing is that they're being directed by Michael Bay, Matt Reeves, Jonathan Liebesman, and Doug Liman.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wait, Matt Reeves is doing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes? Holy poo poo!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm still amused by people mistaking the Who Greenlighted Thread for this thread. All the time.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

You mean Trans4mers.

quote:

Maleficent could come out of nowhere and be the next Snow White And The Huntsman.

Maleficent's look was inspired by Born This Way era Lady Gaga, so there's hope.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Right now it's aimed at a woman who is at worst just upset about how she's be treated, at worst is being coerced by other people who are probably threatening death as an option. but sure, go ahead, call her a oval office or bitch, because that's what TVIV does.

It's very disconcerting for obvious reasons, but also because of how tone deaf many these posters are: they readily understand when the series subverts expectations of fantasy (although I don't believe the series is as subversive as many claim and the show itself is even less so), yet uphold the mighty pillar of patriarchy (for lack of a better term) without a second's thought because their favorite character is in jeopardy.

I'm also troubled by the show's increasing focus on rape and sexual violence. The scenes at Craster's Keep were very unnecessary and especially coming off that now infamous rape scene (both products of the show, though the books are by no means better), I believe the showrunners are losing focus on the series' potential to be better than both its source material and the current role of women in fantasy stories in general.

The show can only say that the medieval period was a really bad place to be anything but a highborn white male for so long. Many of the main women characters have (some) agency and the ability to upset norms (some of which is present in the books), yet the show continually denies them their power.

Apologies for several reasons: TV chat, Game of Thrones chat, Tumblr-like discourse.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 14, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guardians of the Galaxy has monsters. Don't forget that.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

It's very disconcerting for obvious reasons, but also because of how tone deaf many these posters are: they readily understand when the series subverts expectations of fantasy (although I don't believe the series is as subversive as many claim and the show itself is even less so), yet uphold the mighty pillar of patriarchy (for lack of a better term) without a second's thought because their favorite character is in jeopardy.

I'm also troubled by the show's increasing focus on rape and sexual violence. The scenes at Craster's Keep were very unnecessary and especially coming off that now infamous rape scene (both products of the show, though the books are by no means better), I believe the showrunners are losing focus on the series' potential to be better than both its source material and the current role of women in fantasy stories in general.

The show can only say that the medieval period was a really bad place to be anything but a highborn white male for so long. Many of the main women characters have (some) agency and the ability to upset norms (some of which is present in the books), yet the show continually denies them their power.

Apologies for several reasons: TV chat, Game of Thrones chat, Tumblr-like discourse.

Generally speaking I enjoy Game of Thrones more than a lot of other popular shows in part because the women characters have so much more development and agency, and are all distinct and different from one another. Every time it takes a weird sidetrip into unnecessary rapetown I just rub my face in frustration because these are engaging characters and they could be doing so much more with them. I'm not opposed to any and all portrayals of rape and sexual violence in media, but it does feel as though sometimes the show throws them in just to be edgy, and that's really not okay.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lord Krangdar posted:

Born This Way era Lady Gaga

I guess if there was someone who'd only been on the scene for like 5 years and yet have "eras" of their work, it would be Lady Gaga.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TwistedLadder posted:

Generally speaking I enjoy Game of Thrones more than a lot of other popular shows in part because the women characters have so much more development and agency, and are all distinct and different from one another. Every time it takes a weird sidetrip into unnecessary rapetown I just rub my face in frustration because these are engaging characters and they could be doing so much more with them. I'm not opposed to any and all portrayals of rape and sexual violence in media, but it does feel as though sometimes the show throws them in just to be edgy, and that's really not okay.

Just curious which ones you thought were thrown in to be edgy?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Maleficent could come out of nowhere and be the next Snow White And The Huntsman.

Maleficent is being directed by the son of the guy who made The Crater Lake Monster (now on Blu-Ray!), who also happens to have won two Production Design Oscars for Avatar and Alice in Wonderland.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Corek posted:

Maleficent is being directed by the son of the guy who made The Crater Lake Monster (now on Blu-Ray!)

Holy crap. On both counts.

e: This in HD?

ee: Oh hell yes

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 14, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dissapointed Owl posted:

ee: Oh hell yes

The Shining's real lost ending.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost done remastering another one of my college shorts.

Original 2006 video:

Reconstruction:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

ChickenMedium posted:

I guess if there was someone who'd only been on the scene for like 5 years and yet have "eras" of their work, it would be Lady Gaga.

That word is used among her fans because together with each album she releases she has so much else going on at the same time, and often that stuff is exploring the same themes and aesthetics as the actual music. Stuff like her music videos, costumes/looks, performances, interviews, slogans, etc. are what make up each "era".

• Locked thread