Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, son of a bitch. it's been too long since I heard X. This is somehow a great mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.
On a related note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmQpXpeiPFo

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I'm loving the David Dees cartoons being featured in the Conspiracy Corners.

He does buy into just about every conspiracy theory ever formulated, so he's pretty prefect for the thread. But then again that man is probably legitimately mentally ill. Oh well.

Nothing probably about it. The man thinks Mossad is leaving him secret threatening messages by stacking his shoes in different ways every time he leaves the house. He had a blog post about this at some point.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

fool_of_sound posted:

Nothing probably about it. The man thinks Mossad is leaving him secret threatening messages by stacking his shoes in different ways every time he leaves the house. He had a blog post about this at some point.

Can you prove they aren't? :tinfoil:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, I have no memory of that "I order you to stand in the spotlight and growl at the women" line. That's a really weird line; you'd think I'd remember something like that.

Maybe I just always followed the 'Australian' girls in and never spoke to the door-woman. Or maybe her dialogue changes if you come to the club later on?

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

The legend continues. "Middle finga to tha law"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoREOpany_Q

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I forgot just how amazing the accents are. "Are you calling me a rrrrriar?"

Also JC actually trying to emote that first line with Mr Sing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

"I SPILL my DRINK!" still cracks me up after all these years, for no particular reason.

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

J.theYellow posted:

The legend continues. "Middle finga to tha law"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoREOpany_Q

The legend continues to continue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfxMjAkFW0k

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

Ah, the Lucky Money, where the high-res texture pack modders decided to demonstrate their cultural sensitivity.

Across the top: a meaningless jumble of Japanese characters. Definitely the decor of choice for a club run by Chinese ultra-traditionalists.

On the band below that: actual Chinese text ... with all the characters mirrored, and then rotated 90 degrees for good measure.

This poo poo isn't hard. There's no shortage of people who could have helped them get this right, or at least less wrong. But gently caress it :effort: it's just moonspeak right?

(The low-res original isn't much better, but it does at least seem to use Chinese text throughout, and has more excuses in terms of memory limitations etc.)

If you want something fixed, you gotta do it yourself, is the saying. I don't know who I would ask either if I needed to do a project like making higher resolution textures, so if it bothers you a bunch, it'd be good to get in contact with the creators and offer assistance with it instead. More often than not, they'd appreciate it, in my (limited) experience.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bobbin Threadbare: The Bob Ross of conspiracy theories.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cerebral Bore posted:

A minor point, but the White side of the Russian Civil War was not exactly democratic.

Farecoal posted:

"Democratic White Russians"? What?

Ensign Expendable posted:

Allegiance in the Russian Civil War was largely determined by who was fighting against the people you hated the most, not who you actually agreed with. There were some democrats among the Whites. Probably.
Ok, what?

The White Russians included a small minority of Monarchists, that were possibly more heavily represented among their leadership than was entirely warranted by their total numbers. The vast majority were supporters of the Provisional Government, which was about as democratic as you got in the early 20th century.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Ok, what?

The White Russians included a small minority of Monarchists, that were possibly more heavily represented among their leadership than was entirely warranted by their total numbers. The vast majority were supporters of the Provisional Government, which was about as democratic as you got in the early 20th century.

Yeah, no. First of all the Provisional Government sure as hell didn't have any democratic legitimacy left at the outbreak of the Civil War, even if it professed support for liberal democratic ideas in theory. Secondly as soon as the Civil War started the Provisional Government was sidelined by the White Generals from the get-go, and people like Kolchak, Denikin and Wrangel sure as gently caress weren't supporters of democracy in any meaningful sense of the word.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Isaac's dialogue still kind of impresses me as much as when I heard him for the first time as a kid.

In terms of design, The Lucky Money itself is sort of clunky: You have a dance floor that's right on entrance without a clear path to the upper floors and somewhat used areas on the upper floor. I don't mean on the sense that it needs more people, but seeing a pathway on the top floor that's only there not even to house a seat or two, but to sit down and look at two floors under without anything special. "Oh, we have a big entrance with huge doors, but otherwise you get into this dance floor that's already sort of cramped and busy with just 6, probably 7 people on the floor if you don't count the Mama-San and her workers".

I'm sort of highlighting this due to having two Versalife people right next to the stairs and two guards of an organization whose former boss tinkered a lot with tech they used, talking about mysterious happeninngs of Versalife they're scared of. That and almost every place on Hong Kong having some sort of visual aesthetic. The Paris NightClub shines a lot better and does a better job with populating it, and this is one of the places where it's a bit on the rough.

The music was a bit too loud on this segment as well. I get that's a nightclub and all, but on further recordings of Lucky Money, could you tone it a bit down?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

"I SPILL my DRINK!" still cracks me up after all these years, for no particular reason.

For me it's the "'ANKS for gettin' me in!"

It's all she says after you buy their way in, and I dunno about everyone (was the case for Bobbin at least) but I constantly run into her exploring the club, so she ends up saying it A LOT.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, I think they messed up the scripting on that one. It triggers when you walk near her, and presumably should have had something that set a flag once you heard it so she didn't say it again, but they never did that second part. So she's just SUPER GRATEFUL that you got her and her friend into this club and wants to remind you of it every time she sees you, even if you've only been gone for five seconds.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think she stops being thankful once MJ12 troops storm the joint and shoot everyone. Both in a story sense and also in that she stops talking. Heh heh.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, no. First of all the Provisional Government sure as hell didn't have any democratic legitimacy left at the outbreak of the Civil War, even if it professed support for liberal democratic ideas in theory. Secondly as soon as the Civil War started the Provisional Government was sidelined by the White Generals from the get-go, and people like Kolchak, Denikin and Wrangel sure as gently caress weren't supporters of democracy in any meaningful sense of the word.
So. Are you familiar with the notion of suspending certain democratic niceties due to the fact that there's a war on? If you're an American, you should be. The Provisional Government was composed of/by/for members of the Duma - an elected body - and assumed control after the resignation of the Tzar.

While the various White factions rarely had much of a coherent program beyond the immediate goal of "destroy the Bolshevik menace, unite the country", these vague programs were more likely to include "and then elections, I guess?" than "and then we restore the Monarch as an absolute ruler".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 13, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The first time I played, I remember looking at the massive mirror on the dance floor, and then being shocked later to see the conference room behind it. The second time I broke the mirror, and it was really awkward when I came back later, everyone was still dancing, and the crime dudes were holding their meeting right there as if nothing had happened.

Soricidus posted:

:goonsay: :goonsay: moonspeak right? :goonsay:

The characters are just there for atmosphere and decoration, jesus. This poo poo happens all the time, especially in the 90s. Surprise! Asians do the same thing with western characters. I wonder if there is some Japanese dude who is livid because his video game's engrish wall decorations are incorrect too. Put your Hanzo Steel away, not everyone watches enough anime to be able to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese at first glance.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah it's not like folk that speak English can distinguish different cultures and languages from East Asia from anything else other than anime.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

So. Are you familiar with the notion of suspending certain democratic niceties due to the fact that there's a war on? If you're an American, you should be. The Provisional Government was composed of/by/for members of the Duma - an elected body - and assumed control after the resignation of the Tzar.

So. Are you familiar with the principle of democratic legitimacy? And with the idea that democracy should be responsive to the will of the people? Since let me tell you, pal, the Provisional Government sure as hell wasn't.

Also forgive me for not being very impressed that the Provisional Government was made up of leftovers of an autocrat's pet parliament. Just because you have elections doesn't make you a democracy.

Xander77 posted:

While the various White factions rarely had much of a coherent program beyond the immediate goal of "destroy the Bolshevik menace, unite the country", these vague programs were more likely to include "and then elections, I guess?" than "and then we restore the Monarch as an absolute ruler".

Actually the programs of the people who actually mattered and would certainly have seized power if the White side had won were more of "and then restore authoritarian rule" with a dash of "massacre them uppity proles to teach them their place" and "get back to marching millions of young men into a pointless meatgrinder". Again, forgive me for not being very impressed with this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cerebral Bore posted:

So. Are you familiar with the principle of democratic legitimacy? And with the idea that democracy should be responsive to the will of the people? Since let me tell you, pal, the Provisional Government sure as hell wasn't.

Also forgive me for not being very impressed that the Provisional Government was made up of leftovers of an autocrat's pet parliament. Just because you have elections doesn't make you a democracy.

Actually the programs of the people who actually mattered and would certainly have seized power if the White side had won were more of "and then restore authoritarian rule" with a dash of "massacre them uppity proles to teach them their place" and "get back to marching millions of young men into a pointless meatgrinder". Again, forgive me for not being very impressed with this.

I think this argument based on literally one word in this week's corner is getting a bit too caustic. How about we drop it here, yeah? There's really no point in arguing about what the White Russians would have done if they'd won considering they didn't and it's been almost a hundred years since they lost.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

counterfeitsaint posted:

The characters are just there for atmosphere and decoration, jesus. This poo poo happens all the time, especially in the 90s. Surprise! Asians do the same thing with western characters. I wonder if there is some Japanese dude who is livid because his video game's engrish wall decorations are incorrect too. Put your Hanzo Steel away, not everyone watches enough anime to be able to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese at first glance.

Hahaha, did you come here from 4chan in 2008 or something?

That's some grade A racist nerd butthurt right there. Goddamn.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
SO ANYWAYS, the nightlife. Of Hong Kong. It's not my thing, the nightlife. And I did try. I'm just to socially awkward to deal with it.

But the next time, if there ever is a next time, I hit the dance floor, I am totally going to use JC's "Suuuuure" line. I don't care if it's creepy in real life or not, the thought of actually saying that amuses me to now end.

drat, why even wait for the club? I'mma use it in everyday life, consequences be damned.*
*I'm actually ever going to use it on people who are used to dealing with my poo poo. I'm not that stupid.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
ALEC is arguably the closest thing going to a real Deus Ex, Alex Jones esque conspiracy going. It's kind of disturbing to see such large, faceless and unaccountable interests have such direct access to legislators. While I understand the de-regulation and privatization stuff, I don't get why they'd be so invested in anti-immigration laws. Unless I'm wrong and most of the old rich white dudes running these corporations have ideological, and not exclusively profit based motives.

Or are stricter immigration and other laws a way to funnel as many people as possible into all those privately owned prisons? :tinfoil:

Also does the game ever explain why top-secret, advanced future-weapon wielding MJ12 agents have a bunch of 14th century style Chinese swords laying around? This is a fair bit past the part of the game I've played.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Bobbin Threadbare: The Bob Ross of conspiracy theories.
"And now we're going to paint a little alien Jesus in the corner to round it out."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think this argument based on literally one word in this week's corner is getting a bit too caustic. How about we drop it here, yeah? There's really no point in arguing about what the White Russians would have done if they'd won considering they didn't and it's been almost a hundred years since they lost.

You'd be surprised by how much the knowledge of past (or the lack of it) can change the present.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shei-kun posted:

"And now we're going to paint a little alien Jesus in the corner to round it out."

"There are no accidents, only happy little conspiracies."

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Eughgnn those Aussie accents, no one down here sounds like that at all. It hurt so much to listen to it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Spudd posted:

Eughgnn those Aussie accents, no one down here sounds like that at all. It hurt so much to listen to it.

I think it's fair enough that we suffer along with every other nationality that's portrayed in the game.

I love this section of the game, it's where things start to pick up and you find out how crazy the game world really is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Frontspac posted:

Also does the game ever explain why top-secret, advanced future-weapon wielding MJ12 agents have a bunch of 14th century style Chinese swords laying around? This is a fair bit past the part of the game I've played.

I'm not quite sure exactly where or when it's stated, but thanks to all the acoustic sensors in Hong Kong the Triads have reverted to using swords to kill each other. Presumably MJ-12 has a stack of them in case they need to go incognito or chase someone into the streets and they don't have enough suppressed weapons to go around.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I had to read the DE Bible before getting that, even after two (fairly thorough) runs through the game. It's not exactly plainly stated (IIRC) and it's unlikely you'll even get to any of the sensors during the course of normal gameplay, much less figure out what they are.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 14, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've found out what they were the moment I saw them thanks to a maxxed out eye aug.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spudd posted:

One of the women isn't entirely terrible. Like, she wouldn't be too out of place in some places. The other one is atrocious though. And I think the bartender is actually a New Zealander. Could be South Africa or something? His vowel sounds are definitely not right for Australia.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell I don't even think they get American accents right. Hee hee.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

Hell I don't even think they get American accents right. Hee hee.

The Southern Belle secretary and the Manhattan cop from Boston spring to mind.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kunster posted:

I've found out what they were the moment I saw them thanks to a maxxed out eye aug.

which of the eye augs was that? The targetting enhancement?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

double nine posted:

which of the eye augs was that? The targetting enhancement?

Yeah!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The best part of the voice acting is because we're going all over the globe we can enjoy a full host of terrible, terrible accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The Southern Belle secretary and the Manhattan cop from Boston spring to mind.

This and France have some of the best voice lines in the game, though it's REALLY hard to top the Lucky Money and how hilariously terrible the accents are.

• Locked thread