Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

I wonder if Araki will ever redo Part 1. That'd be pretty cool, and he could change quite a bit as long as it ended the same way.

I'm pretty sure that Steel Ball Run is as close as we'll ever get to a "redone" Part 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Araki should not redo any parts because when he re draws the muscly muscle men of the early parts in his new style I get very sad

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, I thought Part V was going to suck, but seeing Purple Haze, Sex Pistols, and everything about Narancia (who I am convinced is the best character) changed my mind.

Aw, man, just finished four, and was coming here to ask about part five. Guess I won't be skipping it. Still hate Giorno's hair. Stupid stupid hair.

Also love how socially awkward Gappy is. He just moves in an awkward way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Part Five has some really great mystery fights, some of the best in the series.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

And all the antagonists use their stands in really creative ways. Part 5 battles were really good

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Condiv posted:

maybe there can even be a second coffin!!

I think one of the novels said that Dio latched onto Erina's coffin, but was weak. So she put him into it since she wanted to believe Jonathan could be saved and then let it sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a really funny image, also those books aren't canon as far as we know.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope Jesus just keeps globehopping through every part that takes place in this universe, giving people Stands.

Oh man. Imagine Part 10 if Jesus returns to Italy and the Pope becomes a Stand user and/or the final boss. Scaling up from merely the President.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Araki should not redo any parts because when he re draws the muscly muscle men of the early parts in his new style I get very sad

That image of what Jonathan Joestar would look like in Araki's current style hurt my soul.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Ethiser posted:

That image of what Jonathan Joestar would look like in Araki's current style hurt my soul.

Kinda already exists. Along with most Pt. 1 and 2 characters.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I liked part 1, but I'd almost rather it end where the mansion burned down. Zeppeli is great, but the whole Tarkus and Blueford bit was kind of tedious. Not sure how that'd segue into the next parts though. v:v:v

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Uznare posted:

That's the one I was talking about. That is not a man who could carry four guys on his back during a game of rugby.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Oh Kenshiro, what has the apocalypse done to you?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That does look like a more reasonable progression for Jonathan's musculature considering how much of a thin teenager he was before Episode 2.

Kinda weird not seeing him with Hulk-sized muscles, though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sleepy Owl posted:

I liked part 1, but I'd almost rather it end where the mansion burned down. Zeppeli is great, but the whole Tarkus and Blueford bit was kind of tedious. Not sure how that'd segue into the next parts though. v:v:v

We wouldn't even get part 2 since Joseph wouldn't have Ripple.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Uznare posted:

Wow, that certainly makes Johnathan look ... different? I still prefer the beefy FOTNS inspired art from part 1 for Johnathan though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sleepy Owl posted:

Yeah this is pretty wrong in terms of opinions. I'd say the mansion burning down represents the point at which we truly enter the Jojo's Space, which we have not yet departed, and God willing, never shall.

Now that said it is kind of neat how up to that point it could just be a gothic horror show.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

Yeah this is pretty wrong in terms of opinions. I'd say the mansion burning down represents the point at which we truly enter the Jojo's Space, which we have not yet departed, and God willing, never shall.

Now that said it is kind of neat how up to that point it could just be a gothic horror show.

The whole of Phantom Blood really feels like a pulp serial from the first half of the 20th Century. A noble British man must learn mysterious techniques of the Orient to fight the monsters of the night, and avenge his father's death. And then Nazis show up.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don't think there were many Nazi's in the 1880s.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Slavoj Zizek, famed philosopher, tries to explain the Stand known as King Crimson

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I think of it as Diavolo travelling a few seconds further in time, while everyone else acts as if he's still there in the time he travels over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I am so glad I am not the only one horribly confused by King Crimson's power.

I had to have spent several minutes rereading the first instance of him using it, trying to understand what was happening.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

The whole of Phantom Blood really feels like a pulp serial from the first half of the 20th Century. A noble British man must learn mysterious techniques of the Orient to fight the monsters of the night, and avenge his father's death. And then Nazis show up.

I sometimes wonder if Araki's original intent for the series before he committed to battle manga was Jonathan becoming a British archeologist and going globe-trotting with Speedwagon (Maybe Zeppili too) in tow while fighting all manner of supernatural monsters. Something between Indiana Jones, Sherlock Holmes, and Hell Teacher Nūbē. Cause I sure as hell didn't expect Jojo to go where it did post-mansion fire when I first read it years ago with the tone it set in those first few chapters.

Is there any interview at all with Araki saying what he originally was going to do before changing to battle manga to make it more popular? The thing I'm most curious about is how far and what he planned ahead in part 1 and how much of it changed by the end.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Since it's implied that a large part of Passione are stand users and we see only a small number of the members, why haven't they taken over all of Italy?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 14, 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the other mobs also have stand users

or weird baby things that actually arent babies

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Maybe Passione already has? When you're the kings of the shadow government why get flashy?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

JDRockefeller posted:

I sometimes wonder if Araki's original intent for the series before he committed to battle manga was Jonathan becoming a British archeologist and going globe-trotting with Speedwagon (Maybe Zeppili too) in tow while fighting all manner of supernatural monsters. Something between Indiana Jones, Sherlock Holmes, and Hell Teacher Nūbē. Cause I sure as hell didn't expect Jojo to go where it did post-mansion fire when I first read it years ago with the tone it set in those first few chapters.

Is there any interview at all with Araki saying what he originally was going to do before changing to battle manga to make it more popular? The thing I'm most curious about is how far and what he planned ahead in part 1 and how much of it changed by the end.

Actually, he had the generational aspect planned from the beginning. That's part of why Jonathan is so noble & righteous, he's being set up as a figurehead for his descendants to look up to and be compared to. Here is a brief snippet from Jojonium where he mentions that, but it's more focused on Jonathan and Dio as rivals.

Also the Ripple was created as an excuse to draw karate auras.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amuayse posted:

Since it's implied that a large part of Passione are stand users and we see only a small number of the members, why haven't they taken over all of Italy?

They had to keep a low enough profile that people like Jotaro wouldn't go over to Italy and kill them. There's also logistical issues to taking over a country that small-scale combat powers don't solve. And Stand users aren't totally invincible even against non-Stand users.

A better question is why people like Josuke don't reveal their powers to the world and make lots of money from them legitmately.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 14, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think using your god powers that only certain people can use and then exposing stand powers to the whole world is a particularly good idea. Josuke is a teenager, he doesn't really know much beyond the scope of his surroundings and what's he learned in his school and he's satisfied with that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

They had to keep a low enough profile that people like Jotaro wouldn't go over to Italy and kill them. There's also logistical issues to taking over a country that small-scale combat powers don't solve. And Stand users aren't totally invincible even against non-Stand users.

Mista's gun for example is a normal gun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Posting this in this thread too, oh my god.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 14, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can really tell they were having fun with this localization, even with the name changes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cool Ice? They could've at least changed his name to Ice-T.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's change this guy's name to another person that could possibly sue. That's a great idea.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Cool Ice? They could've at least changed his name to Ice-T.

It loses the Ice Cream pun at that point. Personally I'm a fan of "ICED" even though that drops the pun too, it's so goofy.

Waffleman_ posted:

You can really tell they were having fun with this localization, even with the name changes.

Yeah seriously, I do enjoy the nods to everything and how campy a lot of the references they made seem to be.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

amuayse posted:

If you run the biggest mafia in italy then you already run italy stands or not.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

If you run the biggest mafia in italy then you already run italy stands or not.

Having experienced Italian politics and law enforcement up-close, I can confirm this statement.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balls-kun
Jun 29, 2010
What the...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread