Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Right hand: Summoner Staff, Dark Fog.
Left hand: Pyro toxic, poison clouds.

I should have named this bellbro Fart Summoner.

Wait, why is fart censored. Goddammit From!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wasn't expecting the skeleton crossbow to be almost twice as weak as the light crossbow +5. That's so lame.

e: Oh wait at +5 it's better. Eh. The arced sword seems alright though. The problem is I'm level 80 and ten hours in to my melee dude, and have 1 bone and 0 twinkling titanite. And I want to save anything I get for if I like something more than the drangleic sword's moveset later on.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 14, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In related news the red eye ring works with the warlock mask and I finally feel like I'm winning fashion souls.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RBA Starblade posted:

I wasn't expecting the skeleton crossbow to be almost twice as weak as the light crossbow +5. That's so lame.

e: Oh wait at +5 it's better. Eh.

Yeah, boss weapons gain a lot more from upgrading than normal weapons do. Which is why so many of them seem completely underwhelming when you first get them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

In related news the red eye ring works with the warlock mask and I finally feel like I'm winning fashion souls.

Not without posting pictures :colbert:

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Oh wait at +5 it's better. Eh.

I don't think any of the crossbows can even compare to Avelyn so in the end it doesn't really matter.

Avelyn is pretty dumb.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does anyone know if the Small Shields have better parries than non-Monastery Scimitar Scimitars? Or vice versa?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Artificer posted:

Does anyone know if the Small Shields have better parries than non-Monastery Scimitar Scimitars? Or vice versa?

The target shield and buckler shield specifically have better parries than other shields, if it's following Dark Souls 1 rules all the other small shields just have normal style parries. I haven't tried the scimitar so I can't compare them though.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not without posting pictures :colbert:

Speaking of the target shield I happen to be wearing one

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Did EU Steam just die?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Did EU Steam just die?

I think Steam died in general. It's Tuesday.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How am I unable to use the black gloves correctly? They're gloves. I don't really need that much intelligence! Do you actually lose anything for it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

How am I unable to use the black gloves correctly? They're gloves. I don't really need that much intelligence! Do you actually lose anything for it?

They're magic gloves you filthy loving mud blood you're banished from Hogwarts.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Is there a boss soul weapon that has the same moveset as the Black Knight Greatsword/Drangleic Sword and is it worth using or should I just stick with the BKG?

Also, the BKG seems a lot slower than the Drangleic; is that because of a personal stat or just the nature of the weapon?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

The target shield and buckler shield specifically have better parries than other shields, if it's following Dark Souls 1 rules all the other small shields just have normal style parries. I haven't tried the scimitar so I can't compare them though.

Speaking of the target shield I happen to be wearing one

drat that's slick as hell :cool:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Artificer posted:

I dunno about better but the timing's different. I think scimitars have less windup (monastery has none I guess). The delay with a shield helps my timing for whatever reason, I have a lot of trouble parrying with curved swords in PvP. You can also set-up parry with a shield which is kinda a big deal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So does weapon scaling on catalysts have any impact on spells that don't do damage? For example, will I get more healing if I cast great heal with an A rank chime than a D rank chime? Do spells like Profound Still change based on scaling at all?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I killed Mr. Manscorpion because I didn't think he was an NPC. Halfway through plinking away his health with a bow, I thought, "Hey this is easy, he can't even get up the steps!" but I kept on shooting. Oh well, cool ring at least.

The Joe Man posted:

Is there a boss soul weapon that has the same moveset as the Black Knight Greatsword/Drangleic Sword and is it worth using or should I just stick with the BKG?

Also, the BKG seems a lot slower than the Drangleic; is that because of a personal stat or just the nature of the weapon?

I don't know, but I've been using the Pursuer's boss soul sword and it's annoying against heavy-hitting enemies; you can't get more than one attack in at a time, so the combos are meaningless wastes of health and stamina. I liked the Drangleic Sword.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

RBA Starblade posted:

Not having req's for the armor severely reduces your backstep, whether or not that's an important thing or not is up to you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finally got invaded in front of Pursuer's door. Even better I actually beat him cause he was a chump. :toot:

Not a chump - Pursuer, though I beat him eventually. Got some serious whiplash when he speared me and it said Cursed. Took me a second to realize that apparently that means something different in this game because I just took a ton of damage instead of dying instantly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Regy Rusty posted:

Got some serious whiplash when he speared me and it said Cursed. Took me a second to realize that apparently that means something different in this game because I just took a ton of damage instead of dying instantly.

The damage was incidental and part of his attack. Cursing in this game instantly puts you down a notch on the hollow scale without actually causing death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EC posted:

Not having req's for the armor severely reduces your backstep, whether or not that's an important thing or not is up to you.

Kind of! I wouldn't have guessed though, thanks.

In other news, I have jackshit for poise, but now I look fabulous. And isn't that what really matters? Yes, it is.

I'm still not a fan of ultra greatswords, but I really like using the regular great ones.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Regy Rusty posted:

I finally got invaded in front of Pursuer's door. Even better I actually beat him cause he was a chump. :toot:

Not a chump - Pursuer, though I beat him eventually. Got some serious whiplash when he speared me and it said Cursed. Took me a second to realize that apparently that means something different in this game because I just took a ton of damage instead of dying instantly.

Yeah cursed in DS2 means your health bar max gets lower and lower on death (hence you are always cursed). Pursuer curse means that is instantaneous except you don't actually die. The basilisks who shoot curse gas in DS1 now shoot petrify gas which will kill you instantly if the meter fills but otherwise has no additional effects (except leaving your body encased in stone)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Kind of! I wouldn't have guessed though, thanks.

In other news, I have jackshit for poise, but now I look fabulous. And isn't that what really matters? Yes, it is.

I'm still not a fan of ultra greatswords, but I really like using the regular great ones.

Poise is really lousy in Dark Souls 2 compared to Dark Souls 1 anyway. You're not missing out on anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

For future reference, here's how you fight the Pursuer: roll to the right.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't worry, even if you threw on a ton of heavy armour you would still have no poise. They basically made poise worthless in this game; you have to stack a ton to resist even one hit from most weapons yet it still takes forever to regen. Its why the best PvP weapons are ones capable of stunlocking your opponent. Its pretty lovely and there's nothing you can really do about it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Can someone tell me how burning human effigies at a bonfire works exactly? And what is the timer in the inventory for? Looks almost like a torch kind of icon.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
How are dual DarkDrifts in a dex build? I've given up hope of using Dual poison rapiers. Also how would I allocate my stats at level 123? Right now I have 40 in Vigor, 40 in Dexterity, 37 Endurance, 21 Adaptability, 16 strength, Vitality, Attunement, Intelligence, and Faith are all at 6 because I chose Deprived.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I had a long PVP run on the IK bridge last night. I take back what I said about DEX weapons. They are viable if you pump it because their speed can beat STR weapons but having low DEX just doesn't make sense, though that's true of any stat you intend to rely on

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can someone tell me how burning human effigies at a bonfire works exactly? And what is the timer in the inventory for? Looks almost like a torch kind of icon.

Honestly burning effigies is pointless, it's the same as pulling your ethernet, except you can still messages and bloodstains in game with it. All it does it disconnect you from invasions and summoning. If you want humanity then use effigies like a consummable item

the timer is a torch. Each time you pick up a torch item it gives you more time to use the torch. Think of it like flashlight batteries

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Burning an effigy turns off multiplayer for a while. You won't be invaded and you can't be summoned or summon. Use them from your inventory to be human again if you've got the zombie look going on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

the timer is a torch. Each time you pick up a torch item it gives you more time to use the torch. Think of it like flashlight batteries

I think I've got nearly five hours of torch life in my game. Kinda a shame they're never relevant outside of the Gutter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

For future reference, here's how you fight the Pursuer: roll to the right.

Haha yeah I finally figured that out and then screwed it up for a while before I finally got him.

I guess I didn't notice the curse thing since I was already a bit hollow and the drop in max health wasn't that perceptible. Good to know that basilisks are still going to be the bane of my existence though.

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't know much about burning effigies (I think it's supposed to make you less likely to be invaded?) but the timer means that you've found one or more Torch items. Get next to a fire source like a bonfire and press the action button to light it (on bonfires you'll need to toggle first). You can then use the torch to light stationary torches and make new fire sources. I assume you lose the torch when the timer counts all the way down, I've currently got over 30 minutes since I haven't really been using them. I'm not sure what the point of lighting things on fire is so I've been saving them in case I need it for something later.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't worry, even if you threw on a ton of heavy armour you would still have no poise. They basically made poise worthless in this game; you have to stack a ton to resist even one hit from most weapons yet it still takes forever to regen. Its why the best PvP weapons are ones capable of stunlocking your opponent. Its pretty lovely and there's nothing you can really do about it.

That's good to know. I had around 50 on my battlemage and I found more or less the same, I just assumed it was because I stuck to lighter armor.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Haha yeah I finally figured that out and then screwed it up for a while before I finally got him.

I guess I didn't notice the curse thing since I was already a bit hollow and the drop in max health wasn't that perceptible. Good to know that basilisks are still going to be the bane of my existence though.

I don't know much about burning effigies (I think it's supposed to make you less likely to be invaded?) but the timer means that you've found one or more Torch items. Get next to a fire source like a bonfire and press the action button to light it (on bonfires you'll need to toggle first). You can then use the torch to light stationary torches and make new fire sources. I assume you lose the torch when the timer counts all the way down, I've currently got over 30 minutes since I haven't really been using them. I'm not sure what the point of lighting things on fire is so I've been saving them in case I need it for something later.

Basilisks aren't nearly as bad. I did get stoned once but that was because I didn't realize they could gas you from behind walls

even in DS1 though once you knew what they were about they weren't really a problem

using a torch to light other lights really

there is ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing to light on fire that makes a boss fight way way easier and unless you already know it you likely wont make the connection windmill in Harvest Valley to drain the poison pool

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Well I burned one or two effigies at the bonfire by accident because I forgot that you had to use them as a consumable out of your inventory. How the hell do I get rid of this no multiplayer BS? I want to summon dudes. This explains why I haven't seen a single summon sign yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alan Smithee posted:

Basilisks aren't nearly as bad. I did get stoned once but that was because I didn't realize they could gas you from behind walls

even in DS1 though once you knew what they were about they weren't really a problem

There also aren't like five of them in the same area in DS2. They're kind of just there to make you go "oh poo poo!" for a second.

e: Will flame weapon get any stronger if I level up the flame hand or my int/faith? I want minimum investment in this, otherwise I'm just going to ditch pyromancy altogether, since I'm only putting 4 levels into attunement and don't care otherwise.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

There also aren't like five of them in the same area in DS2. They're kind of just there to make you go "oh poo poo!" for a second.

e: Will flame weapon get any stronger if I level up the flame hand or my int/faith? I want minimum investment in this, otherwise I'm just going to ditch pyromancy altogether, since I'm only putting 4 levels into attunement and don't care otherwise.

There actually are at least five at once that you have to fight at one point! The biggest difference is that they have an actual attack now (pretty sure they just spat curse fog at you in DkS1).

Flame Weapon, Crystal Magic Weapon (and its lesser siblings), and Sunlight Blade don't scale at all. They just add a flat 50 damage of that element and a 30% damage buff to that element's damage.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Bob NewSCART posted:

Well I burned one or two effigies at the bonfire by accident because I forgot that you had to use them as a consumable out of your inventory. How the hell do I get rid of this no multiplayer BS? I want to summon dudes. This explains why I haven't seen a single summon sign yet.

I think someone said to use that bone item you start the game with, you should only have a single one.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

I think it lasts either an hour of play time or just for that session.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are a few areas where the torch is really handy (plus it makes the game look a lot better). You can generally use them whenever you want.

Alan Smithee posted:

there is ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing to light on fire that makes a boss fight way way easier and unless you already know it you likely wont make the connection windmill in Harvest Valley to drain the poison pool
There's another boss fight that can be made easier with the torch too The Sinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

Isn't that Bone of Order item just for fixing the quitting penalty? effigies only disable multiplayer for 30 mins or until you kill a boss according to the wiki