Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

zVxTeflon posted:

Just curious which ones you thought were thrown in to be edgy?

Dany and Drogo in the first season and Jaime and Cersei in the most recent season. My understanding is that both of these scenes were consensual in the books and were made rapey/coercive for the television show, which is stupid and unnecessary considering that they seem contradictory to the plot (Dany and Drogo go on to have a very happy marriage, Jaime had recently interfered to avoid leaving Brienne in a situation where she might be sexually assaulted and so clearly doesn't condone such treatment of people he cares about).

Since neither scene makes a lot of sense considering the characters/relationships involved I can't think of any other reason they would've been made coercive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

TwistedLadder posted:

Dany and Drogo in the first season and Jaime and Cersei in the most recent season. My understanding is that both of these scenes were consensual in the books and were made rapey/coercive for the television show, which is stupid and unnecessary considering that they seem contradictory to the plot (Dany and Drogo go on to have a very happy marriage, Jaime had recently interfered to avoid leaving Brienne in a situation where she might be sexually assaulted and so clearly doesn't condone such treatment of people he cares about).

Since neither scene makes a lot of sense considering the characters/relationships involved I can't think of any other reason they would've been made coercive.

The first one is presented slightly more pleasantly(really not sure what the proper word choice is), but it's far from a modern understanding of consent, and the second is absolutely rape. The show has illuminated a severe lack of reading comprehension/critical thinking in many readers. The strict POVs color characters' understanding of events around them and even their own actions deeply.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Maarak posted:

The first one is presented slightly more pleasantly(really not sure what the proper word choice is), but it's far from a modern understanding of consent, and the second is absolutely rape. The show has illuminated a severe lack of reading comprehension/critical thinking in many readers. The strict POVs color characters' understanding of events around them and even their own actions deeply.

:shrug: I haven't read the books, that's what I was told. In either case neither is necessary for the progression of the plot, and doesn't particularly seem to match up with the attitudes exhibited by those characters in other situations. They didn't need to be there, they don't add anything to the story other than "Dany isn't necessarily safe in this situation," which was already apparent, and "The Lannister family is hosed up," which we already knew.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Clive Barker just used Giger's death to promote a comic book signing

So classy

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

TwistedLadder posted:

:shrug: I haven't read the books, that's what I was told.

I haven't read the books either, but it seems to me its better to present rape as unambiguously non-consensual rather than as some sort of "they said no but they really wanted it" situation, and it sounds like the latter is how the books presented both.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

In the books at least, the scene with Cersei and Jaime is presented wholly from Jaime's POV and Cersei tells him "no" at least once, so the amount of actual consent there is up to interpretation.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Slice of (lovely) Life: A few weeks ago a lie I told to my dad some time ago had came out. It wasn't a big one, but my dad was hurt by it and I felt like poo poo. He even flat-out asked me if there were any more lies that I had. I told him no.

Today, by sheer coincidence, another old lie of mine surfaced - one I had forgotten - and now I've double-hurt my dad. I'm a horrible son. :smith:

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

In the books at least, the scene with Cersei and Jaime is presented wholly from Jaime's POV and Cersei tells him "no" at least once, so the amount of actual consent there is up to interpretation.
I would argue that "no" means it was non-consensual. The scene as presented in the show is definitely rape, in any case.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I haven't read the books either, but it seems to me its better to present rape as unambiguously non-consensual rather than as some sort of "they said no but they really wanted it" situation, and it sounds like the latter is how the books presented both.
I suppose the former is better, but the question is more why do they need to present them at all if they don't add anything to the plot? If a character being raped adds nothing to the plot or their characterization, what purpose does it serve?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

TwistedLadder posted:

I would argue that "no" means it was non-consensual. The scene as presented in the show is definitely rape, in any case.

Oh, I'm not trying to imply anything else, it's just that the scene as written seems like some bodice-ripper "she wasn't willing at first but changed her mind before anything serious happened" bullshit until you step back and remember who it is telling the story, so even that straw is too loose to grasp on.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TwistedLadder posted:

I suppose the former is better, but the question is more why do they need to present them at all if they don't add anything to the plot? If a character being raped adds nothing to the plot or their characterization, what purpose does it serve?

I didn't really flinch during the Dany/Drogo scene, I guess because he's a big brute, so I bought into the stereotype. as for Jaimie/Cersei I was deeply uncomfortable, and apparently they shot it a few ways and that's the way they chose to cut it together. It's a huge drag

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I didn't really flinch during the Dany/Drogo scene, I guess because he's a big brute, so I bought into the stereotype. as for Jaimie/Cersei I was deeply uncomfortable, and apparently they shot it a few ways and that's the way they chose to cut it together. It's a huge drag
I was pretty uncomfortable during the Dany/Drogo scene, because it's hugely apparent that she's really not comfortable with it but feels she has no choice. The Jaime/Cersei scene was not the most intense rape scene I've ever seen but holy poo poo was it really upsetting.

The show does a great job of making its lady characters into fully developed characters with clear traits and motivations that they act on, so it just irritates me when it insists on throwing in sexual assault that's superfluous to the plot.

schwenz posted:

Clive Barker just used Giger's death to promote a comic book signing

So classy
Ick. In what way? Is there a link or something you can share?

TwistedLadder fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 14, 2014

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

TwistedLadder posted:

:shrug: I haven't read the books, that's what I was told.

I know, I'm just frustrated about it. Learning that a considerable chunk of readers preferred a romantic fantasy vs the very clear cut power dynamics laid out is more than a little disturbing to me. Didn't mean to sound cross.

quote:

In either case neither is necessary for the progression of the plot, and doesn't particularly seem to match up with the attitudes exhibited by those characters in other situations. They didn't need to be there, they don't add anything to the story other than "Dany isn't necessarily safe in this situation," which was already apparent, and "The Lannister family is hosed up," which we already knew.

In the books Dany is quite a bit younger on her wedding night, with Drogo more or less the same age as in the show. He treats her more gently that night, but rapes her every night afterwards until she begins to learn how to control the situation more via lessons from her handmaiden. The show version is considerably less creepy than that IMO.

In both the books and the show, Jaime seems unaware that he has raped Cersei. She protests in both, he continues, and she relents when he makes it clear he isn't going to stop. He honestly seems to think that his actions are welcome. Compare to this season 1 scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpZpWOFXrA Jaime is used to being cruel and forceful with her, and she seems to tolerate it based on his devotion and capacity for murder. Through Jaime she has a sliver of power and control over a world that treats her like chattel. Losing his sword hand changes that dynamic completely, not to mention the guilt she feels for sleeping with Lancel while he was imprisoned, but he isn't willing to accept that rejection.

On top of his misguided ideas of comforting her, raping her(though he doesn't see it that way) is a way to try to restore his life to what it was pre-hand chop. His time with Brienne made an impact, and will continue to do so, but he would prefer to live as he used. Aside from Tyrion, he finds scorn and disrespect from all sides in the capital. He isn't even able to save his son, which makes him 0/3 kings guarded. Re-establishing his sexual power over his sister is a kind of twisted comfort to him, an escape from his feelings of impotence and grief.

I don't want to spoil any plot points, but whatever illusion of a romantic relationship they had is shattered, and that has huge implications on the story going forward.

All that said, the director of the latter scene in question severely needs more media training based on the interview he gave, sheesh.

mr. stefan posted:

She also beats her fists against him to get him to stop.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fair enough, I haven't read the books since DwD came out, so my memories of the exact scenes aren't sharp.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

MisterBibs posted:

Slice of (lovely) Life: A few weeks ago a lie I told to my dad some time ago had came out. It wasn't a big one, but my dad was hurt by it and I felt like poo poo. He even flat-out asked me if there were any more lies that I had. I told him no.

Today, by sheer coincidence, another old lie of mine surfaced - one I had forgotten - and now I've double-hurt my dad. I'm a horrible son. :smith:
It's funny how as we get older, our dads transform from the guys we're most afraid of into the guys we're most afraid of hurting. My dad's a stern, Old World military man. But I remember one time I told him off so hard that instead of getting angry, he just got really, really sad. I still feel bad about it to this day, especially since I'm pretty sure it was the depression talking. :smith:

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 14, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love the Jaime/Cersei scene. It's bitter, cruel, and a little bit funny. Also it pissed off a bunch of nerds and that's always welcome.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Maarak posted:

many good words in a good post
The thing is, based on what I've seen in the more recent seasons of the show, I'd say that Jaime's character has changed significantly from the earlier seasons and thus this behavior is now almost bizarrely out of character for him now, but your point is well received.

I'm glad I'm having this discussion here and not in its thread in the other forum.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love the Jaime/Cersei scene. It's bitter, cruel, and a little bit funny. Also it pissed off a bunch of nerds and that's always welcome.
Not to knock anybody's personal taste, but I'm going to go ahead and say that anyone saying they loved a rape scene is pretty loving weird and a little upsetting.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

TwistedLadder posted:

I was pretty uncomfortable during the Dany/Drogo scene, because it's hugely apparent that she's really not comfortable with it but feels she has no choice. The Jaime/Cersei scene was not the most intense rape scene I've ever seen but holy poo poo was it really upsetting.

The show does a great job of making its lady characters into fully developed characters with clear traits and motivations that they act on, so it just irritates me when it insists on throwing in sexual assault that's superfluous to the plot.

Ick. In what way? Is there a link or something you can share?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TwistedLadder posted:

Not to knock anybody's personal taste, but I'm going to go ahead and say that anyone saying they loved a rape scene is pretty loving weird and a little upsetting.

Oh come on, it's The Bad People Show, starring A Bunch Of Awful People Doing Terrible Things. That Jaime is being put in a light of redemption only makes it more interesting - he did a terrible thing and yet he's defending his brother, who everyone hates and wants to die, as well as the whole bit with Giant Tilda Swinton. These are people born from cruelty, and raised in cruelty, and they play out their differences and conflicts via cruelty. I'm not loving the rape, I'm loving the character dynamics, and the harsh actions of the show. It did not seem to be an unnecessary scene.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 14, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

This reminds me of when John Landis went to the funeral of the two children killed by his negligence and embarked on a long, drug-fueled advertisement for the Twilight Zone movie.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

This reminds me of when John Landis went to the funeral of the two children killed by his negligence and embarked on a long, drug-fueled advertisement for the Twilight Zone movie.

It was Vic Morrow's funeral, which is trashy, but not quite as trashy as ruining a child's funeral.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wait, that actually happened?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Precambrian posted:

It was Vic Morrow's funeral, which is trashy, but not quite as trashy as ruining a child's funeral.
My life is a living hell of internal conflict because John Landis is a poo poo human being but The Blues Brothers is my favorite movie of all time. :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

Almost done remastering another one of my college shorts.

Original 2006 video:

Reconstruction:

Pull da string! Pull da string!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pull da string! Pull da string!

I thought this same thing. Haha.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

A friend from school posted "RIP H.R. Giger and Gambit" because he was upset about them announcing Channing Tatum is going to play Gambit.

Nothing but class class class.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People who hate Channing Tatum in 2014 are garbage people.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Tatum playing Gambit is really worse for him than it is for Gambit

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

A friend from school posted "RIP H.R. Giger and Gambit" because he was upset about them announcing Channing Tatum is going to play Gambit.

Nothing but class class class.
Your friend may be legally retarded.

Personally, I don't see the big deal about Tatum as Gambit. (I see him as more of a Colossus or a Juggernaut, but whatever.) However, I do think that like anyone else, he'll look lame as hell if they try to give him that Jim Lee face-protector thing. Also, depending on how they do the costume, there's a good chance he'll end up looking like a more muscular version of this…

And I actually like Gambit.

FishBulb posted:

Why does someone always beat me with something more concise? :mad:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FishBulb posted:

Have you seen the commercials for the new Wachowskis Joint?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Who will Jonah Hill play? Someone suggested Doop.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy poo poo if Jonah Hill plays Doop my life will be complete.

e: comedy option: Jonah Hill as Quentin Quire

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Who will Jonah Hill play? Someone suggested Doop.
I would laugh so hard if he used a really bad Cockney chimney-sweep accent to play Chamber.

Basically, I want to see the X-Men get Batman 66-ed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FishBulb posted:

Kinda agreed. He'd probably be better than his material.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say what he's playing there offers him more of a unique chance to play a more interesting character than what Gambit might be barring a good creative team.

And I used to like Gambit in the books.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's apparently wanted to play Gambit for years, so I think this is more personal fulfillment than anything. Though yeah, I think he's at the point where he doesn't need to do a superhero movie unless he really wants to. He's Channing Tatum, he's awesome.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

You know what? New Jack city is still pretty badass.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I always thought Gambit could be a good character if his confidence was false bravado masking an absolute void of self esteem, kind of like Irvine Kinneas in Final Fantasy VIII or The Schofield Kid in Unforgiven.

Also, he'd look less like a 90s-era dipshit if they cut his trench coat at the knees.

Basically, I just think Gambit is tantalizingly close to being a good character.

EDIT: But then, I also think Wolverine should basically just be Sanjuro with claws.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 14, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't think this is that bad, if anything this is encouraging people to come out and ask him questions about Giger.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

No?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
He had a good first series that was fun written by Fabian Niceza. If a little odd. He's basically a charming thief, could be cool if they put in a bit of Indy or Han. Here's hoping it's something like a Gambit and Rogue go on a trip with his past in the Thieves Guild catching up with him and his ex-wife Belladonna hunting him down. Lower key than world demolishing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

People who hate Channing Tatum in 2014 are garbage people.

No only that, but Gambit is the shittiest loving character, why the hell do people care so much? Gambit is just an awful relic of notoriously lovely 90s comics.

• Locked thread